Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Htc Universal
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > Debian
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
ernia
QUOTE(datathief @ Oct 1 2008, 10:36 AM) *
It looks like the nightly process that rebuilds the image was running out of disk space. I've moved it to a bigger disk, and a new image is being built now.

now it works, thanks smile.gif
kroonen
Well I downloaded it, booted from haret run in and now it does the following

Booting Debian GNU/Linux...
Unpacking base packages. This will take a while, but only needs to be done once.
Unpacking base packages. This will take a while, but only needs to be done once.

This message repeats every 5 seconds. I waited an hour and still this appears.. Is this normal???

ShiroiKuma
Your card is messed up. mkfs.ext2 it again and try once more. It happened to me too a couple of times.

If it doesn't go through, throw the card in the garbage and buy a new one.
kroonen
Strange I used 2 sd cards and both react the sae a 256mb and a 2 gb.

I ude and sd adapter coul that be the problem??

datathief
QUOTE(kroonen @ Oct 1 2008, 07:42 PM) *

This message repeats every 5 seconds. I waited an hour and still this appears.. Is this normal???

We might be able to locate the problem and find a way around it. If you mount the card on your PC, which of the following files exist?
bin/busybox
usr/bin/dpkg
sbin/runlevel
ernia
QUOTE(kroonen @ Oct 1 2008, 09:42 PM) *

again, same problem as me, we could share an account on this forum laugh.gif
i've tried with two sdcards too.

@Datachief
usr/bin/dpkg and sbin/runlevel are missing in both of the generated images (and on sdcard too).
yesterday's image md5sum: fd6ea69a2cccc89f7771fa4c2580ec76
today's image md5su: ae62e00379490d555471e41c28695391

thanks
kroonen
@datachief

Whe it hangs i took the sd and mounted

bin/busybox is on the sd
usr/bin/dpkg is on the sd
sbin/runlevel isn't there

Richard
ShiroiKuma
You can use my rootfs found at http://sumoudou.org/index.php?cmd=%E7%9B%B...the%20Universal if you don't want to mess with its extraction etc.

It's based on the datathief's rootfs, changed to sid dist, expanded, set-up, updated as of 2008-05-07 and X all set up and ready to go.

I have also created other rootfses, one just expanded bare datathiefs, others with different apps set up, all updated to the current status etc. I'll be posting them later, but for now, the one above runs fine. You just need to aptitude full-upgrade.
ernia
@datathief
sorry, i must have checked bin and not usr/bin for dpkg, as kroonen said the only missing thing is sbin/runlevel
kroonen
@ShiroiKuma

The image you gives wor, but i want to connect to internet somehow, to aptitude full-upgrade and install the titchy tools. But no interface usb0 or wifi is possible you need the tichy-netwowk-settings and hardware??? Is this not included in the image????

Also touchscreen in X only works when he goes to sleep and wake up??

ernia
QUOTE(kroonen @ Oct 2 2008, 07:05 PM) *
@ShiroiKuma

The image you gives wor, but i want to connect to internet somehow, to aptitude full-upgrade and install the titchy tools. But no interface usb0 or wifi is possible you need the tichy-netwowk-settings and hardware??? Is this not included in the image????

Also touchscreen in X only works when he goes to sleep and wake up??

you could try this http://sumoudou.org/index.php?cmd=%E7%9B%B...SB%20connection ,
but instead of the aptitude part write

allow hotplug usb0
iface usb0 inet static
address 192.168.0.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.0.0
broadcast 192.168.0.255
gateway 192.168.0.1

in the /etc/network/interfaces on the universal.
boot titchy while the universal is already connected to the pc or it could be possible that the pc will not load the correct modules, see my posts in the previous page.
please, can you test if you get the cdc_subset, cdc_ether and zaurus modules loaded if titchy has been booted while uni was disconnected from pc?

i did not understand what's the matter with x, could you explain your problem in a better way?
kroonen
Well i did try it with modifying the /etc/network/interfaces

Then if i do ifconfig usb0 up, he comes up and in wodows also but i don't get an ip or something if I do an ifconfig. Link there is so he is up. 1 time it worked dbut after a reboot no luck any more.
I tried booting connected to my desktop but nothing.. any ideas?
kroonen
I found it and ifup usb0 and it works.

The xserver is still strange. When the first time X is start it, tochscreen isn't working, but if the thc goes into sleep (apm) aftere that i start, the touchscreen works..

ShiroiKuma
So, the discussion at xda-developers resulted in a successful patch of the kernel, and it now suspends/resumes the 128mb RAM upgraded Universal fine.

After a day of tests, I can state that the 128MB upgrade is a significant improvement. I can now run emacs alongside conkeror (significantly improved firefox/iceweasel) without swap, and it runs snappily, great.

No need for swap, and specifically because of this it's snappy, as running with swap due to slow access to the SD card is excruciatingly slow.

I have noticed a significantly greater responsiveness of the Universal and it's really great.

You can get the compiled kernel for 128MB at: http://sumoudou.org/index.php?cmd=%E7%9B%B...the%20Universal where I've put instructions.
Thorsten
Hi all,
is it possible, to you the touch screen as mouse in DirectFB applications, or with gpm? I tried some things, but without any success. I was not even able to find the xorg.conf, to find out how X handles the mouse. The only thing I figured out is that /dev/input/event0 is the device of magic.
My intention is to use a web browser without X (links2 in graphic mode) to save resources.

greetings

Thorsten
domi007
Hi,
I got a new problem with the rootfs from ShiroiKuma:
I have installed the titchy pacakges (network-settings, hardware etc.), and th phone now isn't able to come back from suspend!
I have to reset it, but the reset causes a mess up in the filesystem.
Has anyone an idea?

Another problem:
I can't connect to the internet through USB! I have this problem constantly: last time datathief helped me a lot, and we had fixed it, but now, it appears again.
I have installed the titchy-network-setings package, but still have the problem:
Windows says: USB_network: This connection has limited or no connectivity.
Windows was not able to renew the IP-adress of this connection
???

DOMy
ernia
i've been away from home for some days, and now i'm tryng again to install debian retrieving the rootfs with jigdo-lite, without success.
could somebody share a bare lenny rootfs to start playing? i would like to already have the titchy-linux stuff installed on it.
thanks
domi007
QUOTE(ernia @ Oct 12 2008, 08:11 AM) *
i've been away from home for some days, and now i'm tryng again to install debian retrieving the rootfs with jigdo-lite, without success.
could somebody share a bare lenny rootfs to start playing? i would like to already have the titchy-linux stuff installed on it.
thanks

You can try the rotfs from shiroikuma (with xdm, programs, and some titchy packages):
Information:
http://shiroikuma.com/index.php?cmd=%E7%9B...9962cfea3003c7d

Download link:
http://shiroikuma.com/uni/shiroikuma-unive...9962cfea3003c7d

Hope, this helps!
DOMy
domi007
Is there now work to fix the WiFi driver unstabilities?
I'm thinking about to compile the latest acx driver, but leave the htcuniversal-acx module without any modifications. Perhaps, it will be better, perhaps not.
Stay tuned, i will come with the result.

DOMy

EDIT:
Of course i was not able to find the kernel headers for our kernel (2.6.21-hh20).
so, the stable wifi connection will be only a dream for the next years sad.gif
ernia
QUOTE(domi007 @ Oct 12 2008, 03:55 PM) *
Is there now work to fix the WiFi driver unstabilities?
I'm thinking about to compile the latest acx driver, but leave the htcuniversal-acx module without any modifications. Perhaps, it will be better, perhaps not.
Stay tuned, i will come with the result.

DOMy

EDIT:
Of course i was not able to find the kernel headers for our kernel (2.6.21-hh20).
so, the stable wifi connection will be only a dream for the next years sad.gif

you should find kernel's sources here: http://wiki.neilandtheresa.co.uk/Titchy_Linux/Source

i'm not able to install titchy packages, seems like they're not in the repository.
i add 'deb http://debian.neilandtheresa.co.uk/ titchy/' in /etc/apt/sources.list but when i do 'apt-cache search titchy' i can't find nothing.
any advice?
kitor
apt-get update?
domi007
QUOTE(ernia @ Oct 12 2008, 08:16 PM) *
you should find kernel's sources here: http://wiki.neilandtheresa.co.uk/Titchy_Linux/Source

i'm not able to install titchy packages, seems like they're not in the repository.
i add 'deb http://debian.neilandtheresa.co.uk/ titchy/' in /etc/apt/sources.list but when i do 'apt-cache search titchy' i can't find nothing.
any advice?

Thank you very much!
I will give it a try!

Does anyone has an idea for the suspend problem (the device doesn"t wake up, even if i push the power button)?

DOMy
ernia
QUOTE(kitor @ Oct 13 2008, 04:31 PM) *
apt-get update?

done. are you able to install titchy packages? the repository is up?
kitor
I don't know - I'm waiting for my new universal, but first time I tried linux it helped me...
domi007
Hi,
I hvae found something new:
Console message, during boot:
Starting suspend-on-idle daemon....Unknown HZ value!

I think, therefore is there a problem with suspend wake-up.

DOMy
kitor
Is it any way to use Audacious? Version from repo give me only Segmentation fault...

[edit]
Ok, I found working XMMS so audacious isn't neccesary...

Other question - I have XFCE rootfs made by my friend. But holding stylus doesn't work as a right mouse button - is it possible to get this functionality?
domi007
QUOTE(kitor @ Oct 18 2008, 05:48 PM) *
Is it any way to use Audacious? Version from repo give me only Segmentation fault...

[edit]
Ok, I found working XMMS so audacious isn't neccesary...

Other question - I have XFCE rootfs made by my friend. But holding stylus doesn't work as a right mouse button - is it possible to get this functionality?

I think, you should edit somehow the touchscreen driver, and than it will support this function also.

BTW:
I am copying rigth now the latest acx sources and the kernel headers to my SD card, and than later I will compile it, if there won't be any errors!
kitor
Ok, now i know that right mouse button is hold CTRL (Messaging) button on keyboard and tap... or use xmonobut ;-)
datathief
QUOTE(ernia @ Oct 14 2008, 06:43 AM) *
QUOTE(kitor @ Oct 13 2008, 04:31 PM) *
apt-get update?

done. are you able to install titchy packages? the repository is up?

It looks like a couple of things have broken while I've been away. The repository should be working now.
datathief
QUOTE(Thorsten @ Oct 8 2008, 10:56 AM) *
Hi all,
is it possible, to you the touch screen as mouse in DirectFB applications, or with gpm? I tried some things, but without any success. I was not even able to find the xorg.conf, to find out how X handles the mouse. The only thing I figured out is that /dev/input/event0 is the device of magic.
My intention is to use a web browser without X (links2 in graphic mode) to save resources.

greetings

Thorsten

This may be what you need (or it might not work at all - I haven't tried it):

http://osdir.com/ml/handhelds.openzaurus.d...2/msg00001.html
ShiroiKuma
I'm experiencing strange behavior with titchy-phoneui-glossy.

If I send an SMS using the commandline with titchy-phone-daemon, it is sent, and then the glossy UI pops up for the confirmation, but the confirmation is not displayed in alerts.

If I send an SMS from the phonebook section of the glossy UI, it kills titchy-phone-daemon and doesn't send anything. What could the problem be?
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Oct 31 2008, 08:56 AM) *
I'm experiencing strange behavior with titchy-phoneui-glossy.

If I send an SMS using the commandline with titchy-phone-daemon, it is sent, and then the glossy UI pops up for the confirmation, but the confirmation is not displayed in alerts.

If I send an SMS from the phonebook section of the glossy UI, it kills titchy-phone-daemon and doesn't send anything. What could the problem be?

Message statuses are displayed next to the sent messages (lit blue arrow is pending, unlit blue arrow is delivered, red arrow is failed).

Is there an error message in /var/log/titchy-phoneui-shiny after the crash?
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(datathief @ Nov 4 2008, 11:06 AM) *
Message statuses are displayed next to the sent messages (lit blue arrow is pending, unlit blue arrow is delivered, red arrow is failed).

Oh well, so then this would partly explain the absence. Since I send SMS's from my Emacs UI, in the keitai package that I've put together, the sent message is not displayed in the glossy UI, as you've made it to only show messages that are sent from the UI. So no message, no message status next to it.

Wouldn't it make more sense, since you already do logging of all calls and SMS's to log files, for the UI to not only show new messages and calls etc. that it records since it comes on. But to actually read the logs and display the full history, of calls, SMS's etc?
Is there an error message in /var/log/titchy-phoneui-shiny after the crash?

I'll check it.
ShiroiKuma
I'd like to remap the OK key as right shift, but can't figure out to do this. Have tried
CODE
keycode 0x43 = Shift
in /etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz and
CODE
keycode 75 = Shift_R
add Shift = Shift_R
in .xmodmaprc and various combinations of the two, but the OK doesn't work as shift in these two instances. At best it only shifts a couple of keys and that's it.

Anyone know how I can achieve the remap?
kitor
Not all about linux, but I found interesting info about USB host in PXA27x devices. Here it is:
http://hhtinker.blogspot.com/2008/10/usb-h...n-treo-650.html
In shortcut, if we were lucky, we get USB host on sync port of our Uni's (only on Linux). But somebody must check it, I currently didn't have uni...
alge
Hi,

after a while a tried today to start again with my titchy installation from scratch, as in my first try half a year ago the phone applications did not work.

I was wondering a little bit that the initial installation using /sbin/titchybootstrap2 and /etc/rcS.d/S99titchybootstrap3 did not work. I fixed the calls to dpkg there, added some missing debs (net-utils, sed, module-init-tools if I remember all) and mainly installed everything manually. Afterwards I recognized that this may be due to the fact, that the jigdo file and apt/sources.list refer to debian testing, which was something different last year.

Well, I managed to setup a basic Debian testing now, with usb networking and ssh.

But now I cannot find any titchy-* package. The Packages file from debian.neilandtheresa.co.uk is empty. Has anyone mirrors of these packages or even the source packages to rebuild them?

Some posts above contain already some questions regarding the repository not beeing accessible, is this still the same?

Thanks

Albrecht
domi007
Hi guys,
Sorry, because my post doesn't connect to this topic, but it is related with the Universal, so:
I am trying to run Android on the Universal. But if I compile the linux_2.6.25_Android for the universal (using the htcuniversal_defconf, which i get from the net) it could be compiled without any problem, but on the PDA Haret says jumping to kernel, and then nothing happens....
If i use the kernel from shiroikuma (zImage.128MB) and the normal rootfs, grabbed from the emulator i get a Segmentation fault when it tries to run the init script of the Android.
I think, the kernel which i use, is uncompatible with the Android.

Has someone any idea? Is there any reason, why my kernel doesn't boot, but shiroikuma's does?

Thanks, and sorry for my off-topic post
DOMy
p3t3r
@domi007

I am no expert on such things (as I am no computer scientist), but as I have some experience with running Linux on devices like the Universal (Universal and Motorola A780/E680) I would like to ask you whether you applied some patches for HTC Universal to your kernel, as it isn't (again, AFAIK) supported by stock mainline linux. Bad thing is that (as you will know) the latest kernel for HTC Universal on handhelds.org is still 2.6.21-hh20, which won't work with ANDROID, unless you apply the patches.
Here is a ML post about patching 2.6.21-hh20 for BlueAngel for Android (please keep in mind that the Android version running is an older beta, AFAIR 0.8).

Hope that I could help you a little bit,

p3t3r

(Please feel free to contact me when you have ANDROID running on your Universal, I am keen on that, too wink.gif )
domi007
With Android:

So far, so good:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...mp;postcount=31

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYb2nZyC4nA

DOMy
ShiroiKuma
USB connection with a Mac

How do you use USB networking when connection the HTC Universal to Mac OS X?

I.e. in Linux after plugging in the USB cable, you'd on the PC
CODE
ifconfig usb0 192.168.0.1
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
iptables -A FORWARD -j ACCEPT
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.0.0/24 -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

However on a Mac, I don't have the usb0 device after connecting the Universal with a cable, I've looked through dmesg and the contents of /dev/ and there doesn't seem to be a usb device, though it's no hardware problem, my Mac is brand new and USB flashdisks work when plugged in.

So where's the device to ifconfig?
Sam Liddicott
QUOTE(kitor @ Jan 1 2009, 09:30 PM) *
Not all about linux, but I found interesting info about USB host in PXA27x devices. Here it is:
http://hhtinker.blogspot.com/2008/10/usb-h...n-treo-650.html
In shortcut, if we were lucky, we get USB host on sync port of our Uni's (only on Linux). But somebody must check it, I currently didn't have uni...

Thats great news - it makes me think of this: http://www.dvd.co.uk/Hw/Kingston-DataTrave...2GB/product.htm

Big fat daddy storage for my universal!
Sam Liddicott
I've been given another black HTC Universal (O2 XDA exec).

It has a dent/kink in the touch-screen (not the LCD) and the display has been rotated too many times so that the display cable has snapped, but carphone warehouse say they can fix both these for 45.00

I'm short on cash to pay for a 128M upgrde, so I'm interested in doing a deal where somebody can have this in exchange for giving me the 128MB upgrade on my Universal.

Anyone interested - is it a fair deal? (I guess it is the same as swapping both these for one that has been upgraded?)
Sam Liddicott
QUOTE(Sam Liddicott @ Apr 3 2009, 10:01 AM) *
I've been given another black HTC Universal (O2 XDA exec).

It has a dent/kink in the touch-screen (not the LCD) and the display has been rotated too many times so that the display cable has snapped, but carphone warehouse say they can fix both these for 45.00

I'm short on cash to pay for a 128M upgrde, so I'm interested in doing a deal where somebody can have this in exchange for giving me the 128MB upgrade on my Universal.

Anyone interested - is it a fair deal? (I guess it is the same as swapping both these for one that has been upgraded?)

bah! I was a bit slow, CPW have stopped repairing the Universal just recenly, so I'm going to HTC for it. I'm trying to get them to do the RAM too - I might get lucky.

Sam
Sam Liddicott
Is it game over then?
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Oct 1 2008, 12:18 PM) *
QUOTE(datathief @ Aug 27 2008, 11:33 AM) *
As far as I can tell, the following should give some kind of result:
CODE
titchy-phone-daemon atcmd 'at+cusd=1,"*104*#",15'

I get "+CUSD: 5"; I don't know what that means. If you get something more useful, I can add this functionality to the daemon.

I get:
CODE
+CUSD: 0,"XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX some hex text",15

So it seems, it's responding with the credit remaining and it's coding the answer, however doesn't ring any bells as far as deciphering is concerned...

It's the ASCII text response, hex encoded. To decipher you need to pass it through xxd -p -r, full instructions at http://sumoudou.org/index.php?cmd=%E7%9B%B...0in%20GNU/Linux
Foxdie
FINALLY my HTC Universal has a purpose biggrin.gif

This thread contains a wealth of information, it's taken 3 days to read through it all, but man was it worth it.

Thanks to Neil and everyone else who has contributed to this thread, let's keep it going smile.gif
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(Foxdie @ Nov 8 2009, 12:48 AM) *

Not for long, I'm afraid.

I've been running debian on the Uni for a long time now, but the biggest problem is the overall slowness of the system, there's no way you can play movies satisfactorily for instance, and emacs runs, so this is a godsend, but still if you have lot of stuff in .emacs, the startup takes ages etc.

The Nokia N900 has, it seems, started shipping to stores now, and it's gonna be reaching the endmarket somewhere around the beginning of December - and that's gonna be GNU/Linux for your mobile phone! If you'll wish for Debian, you'll run it from chroot no prob. It should be, judging by the videos, super fast, so another dimension for mobile GNU/Linux it seems.

I think I'll put my Uni to rest right when I get this new Nokia in the mail.

Granted, the keyboard on it sucks bigtime, compared with the Uni, but just the keyboard won't be reason enough to hold back and stick with the Uni, I think...
Foxdie
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Nov 14 2009, 10:08 AM) *
QUOTE(Foxdie @ Nov 8 2009, 12:48 AM) *

Not for long, I'm afraid.

I've been running debian on the Uni for a long time now, but the biggest problem is the overall slowness of the system, there's no way you can play movies satisfactorily for instance, and emacs runs, so this is a godsend, but still if you have lot of stuff in .emacs, the startup takes ages etc.

The Nokia N900 has, it seems, started shipping to stores now, and it's gonna be reaching the endmarket somewhere around the beginning of December - and that's gonna be GNU/Linux for your mobile phone! If you'll wish for Debian, you'll run it from chroot no prob. It should be, judging by the videos, super fast, so another dimension for mobile GNU/Linux it seems.

I think I'll put my Uni to rest right when I get this new Nokia in the mail.

Granted, the keyboard on it sucks bigtime, compared with the Uni, but just the keyboard won't be reason enough to hold back and stick with the Uni, I think...

Well, my Uni has been sat in a drawer for years not doing anything, I feel with this it has a purpose again, something I can script / program and easily work with, FAR easier than WinMo.

I plan to use it in my car for GPS tracking and listening to online radio stations, one of my peeves about listening to streams in WinMo was that if you went through a patchy coverage area, the phone would disconnect UTMS and sometimes fail to reconnect, I could write a crontab to check the connection every 60 seconds and reset it, as well as then restart the music stream smile.gif

Just one of the many uses I'm going to have for it biggrin.gif
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(Foxdie @ Nov 14 2009, 11:58 AM) *
I plan to use it in my car for GPS tracking and listening to online radio stations, one of my peeves about listening to streams in WinMo was that if you went through a patchy coverage area, the phone would disconnect UTMS and sometimes fail to reconnect, I could write a crontab to check the connection every 60 seconds and reset it, as well as then restart the music stream smile.gif

Which programs are you gonna use for these two on the Uni?
Foxdie
Well, for listening to streams, I currently use mplayer as that was already installed, it works well but the volume seems to be way too low, even when I set mplayer to 100% by repeatedly mashing the asterix (*) key..

I plan on writing a Perl script to automate this, just a simple while-loop that'll call mplayer, then if mplayer dies, bring down ppp0, wait 5 seconds, bring it back up again, wait another 5 seconds and then relaunch mplayer.

As for the tracking, I've installed bluez-utils and wrote a perl script that does the following;

1. Open the GPS device using the rfcomm util
2. Open the serial device step 1 creates; /dev/rfcomm0
3. While-loop through the data, whenever it receives a $GPRMC line, store this in a variable
4. As part of the above while-loop there is a check on the last time it submitted the content to an external API via a HTTP GET / POST request, it will do it once every 5 seconds (configurable).

To do this I've had to apt-get update the system, and then install the following CPAN modules;

* Device::SerialPort
* HTTP::Request

It's still a work-in-progress, it works fine but the coordinates appear offset slightly, I think it may be due to me just shifting the decimal place on the DDMM.MMMM request, maybe I need to use another formula.. heh smile.gif

I'll post up all my work once I'm satisfied it's bug-free smile.gif

Ps. Installing CPAN modules with Perl is a complete nightmare, you have to create at least a 128MB Swap File and it's PAINFULLY slow, it took 45 minutes to install HTTP::Request, I think I'll release a gzipped tarball of my filesystem once it's done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.