Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Birth Of Zubuntu
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > Ubuntu
cortez
New update of Ubuntu (Zubuntu as it's called from now on) can be found here.
For now it's still the minimal version, I'm working on a more complete version with more software pre-installed (and more bugs fixed).
If some of you would like to mirror the image, be my guest.
matthis
Thank you very much for your work! This is looking good!!
urkden
Fresh air to breath... thanks!!
walkman
Hey cortez! very interesting indeed ;-).

I tried to check your website but did not find more details about the HW support the distro provides. Could you please say what is the status of the HW support? I mean does WiFi work? I see you had issues with sound, but nly because a driver was not installed. I am very interested to try to play with your work and see where it goes. What are the limits you see now?

Thanks for an update,

Peter.
Snappy
Just wondering about APM and speed. Presumably, it would be noticeably slower than Cacko even when modified to use fluxbox etc, how fast or slow is it?

APM: Is batt life the same? Suspend working well with LCD panel closed? smile.gif

Since it is Ubuntu, support for Chinese characters and input will be standard via SCIM, which would make my transfer over much easier. I'm already using Ubuntu HH on my main notebook. Having zubuntu on my Z would make my user experience similar. smile.gif
littlez
Cortez works well.
Here there is a screenshot of Zubuntu 1.0.
It is running on my SL-C3100.
Cortez write: "it runs a 2.6.26 Linux kernel and includes all the Android 1.0 patches."
[http://www.omegamoon.com/blog/index.php?en...ry080517-232536]
cortez
QUOTE(littlez @ Oct 23 2008, 12:23 PM) *
Cortez works well.
Here there is a screenshot of Zubuntu 1.0.
It is running on my SL-C3100.
Cortez write: "it runs a 2.6.26 Linux kernel and includes all the Android 1.0 patches."
[http://www.omegamoon.com/blog/index.php?en...ry080517-232536]

As a matter of fact, I just tried to build Android natively using Zubuntu, but forgot I needed Sun's JDK to do that. Not a good idea wink.gif
I guess I have to finish it off and get Zubuntu 1.0 ready for all of you to try.

Cheers,
cortez
nilch
Just came across this thread and then saw the screenshots and Cortez's site on ZUbuntu.
This is great I think.

First project fdor this weekend found - Install ZUbunto onm my Zaurs C1000.

Note : I wish there was a bit more info on what features work right now and what doesnt as yet.

But kudos for this effort. Brings some new life to the old Zaurus.
canguy247
This looks awesome. The only questions I have are;
How fast does it run as compared to debian EABI?
How much free ram does it have?
http://ricks937.com/zaurus/zubuntu-minimal-rootfs.tar.gz

Perhaps its a stupid question, but do you know if this will run on a 6000?
Allelectrix
Hi Cortez.

thanks very much for doing this OS ! Good work !

Does USB Wifi work on this ? - I'm talking about getting an Internet connection with a Card ?
what kernel is it ? and is there any kernel source code available for the C1000 ?

thanks again, Allelectrix
cortez
QUOTE(550 @ Oct 24 2008, 08:24 AM) *

Currently not, but a Tosa (6000L) has been added to my Zaurus collection recently, so I will certainly try to get Zubuntu working!
cortez
QUOTE(Allelectrix @ Oct 26 2008, 03:08 PM) *
Hi Cortez.

thanks very much for doing this OS ! Good work !

Does USB Wifi work on this ? - I'm talking about getting an Internet connection with a Card ?
what kernel is it ? and is there any kernel source code available for the C1000 ?

thanks again, Allelectrix

I'm not sure about the USB Wifi, I guess you just have to try wink.gif
Kernel is 2.6.26 with all Android 1.0 patches included for the upcoming 1.0 release.
I'm planning to release all source code later. First priority is to get the release ready!
Allelectrix
QUOTE(cortez @ Oct 26 2008, 01:53 PM) *
I'm not sure about the USB Wifi, I guess you just have to try wink.gif
Kernel is 2.6.26 with all Android 1.0 patches included for the upcoming 1.0 release.
I'm planning to release all source code later. First priority is to get the release ready!

very nice ! let me know if I can help. my influence is currently:

1. SL-C1000 pdaXii13 OS
2. Aircrack-ng 0.9
3. self compiled and patched rt73.o and rt2570.o kernel 2.4.20 modules for rt73 and rt2500 and rt2571 USB Wifi Cards
4. VB 6.0 Programming for MS Windows and MS DOS BASIC programming
5. Z80 Assembly Language Programming for customized USB, Serial and Parallel Port Peripherals
6. Z80 System development, design, and construction
7. Printed Circuit board design to 2 layers

I'm afraid I don't know C at all at the moment, but will give it a shot soon. Also, I am learning ARM Machine Code Assembly Language.
Allelectrix

How do you install a rootfs tar file to a C1000 ? is there a tutorial ?

thanks.
speculatrix
QUOTE(Allelectrix @ Nov 10 2008, 03:35 AM) *

thanks.

my guess is that you'll need to partition an SD card, create an EXT2 part, format it, and unpack the root tarball to that.

craigtyson
I gave it a go, but could not get the volume mounted, just got JFS erros then was left with no console. Im not sure if this is because I cannt create a partition on the SD card (get wierd results in gparted on UBUNTU) or if its somthing else.
speculatrix
ok, a little more detailed
1/ unmount the card
2/ do "fdisk -l" to list disks/cards, and then "fdisk /dev/sd$" to partition it where $ is the device
3/ delete all partitions, then
- create a new partition of type primary, use half the card size (start is default, end is (say) +1G). set the type to LBA FAT16.
- create a new partition primary, use rest of the card.
4/ write the partition table
5/ mkfs.vfat /dev/sd$1
6/ mkfs.ext2 /dev/sd$2
7/ eject the card and reinsert, and hopefully the two partitions will be mounted, or mount manually.

unpack the tar file to the ext2 directory, and I think you simply chroot into it?

--edit-- in instructions above I suggested a 1G fat partition so that the card will behave as a useful flash drive acceptable to windows etc to make it easy to transfer files, and also in the hope that inserting it into a windows or mac will not cause them to try and format the card smile.gif
you could make that partition much smaller if wished.
undrwater
An added "Please!" for the 6000.

Question: Are you using OE kernels, or rolling them yourself? The reason I ask is that IIRC, the 6000 OE kernel is still lacking support for some critical events such as suspend (and wifi, I think).
Allelectrix

thanks.

my guess is that you'll need to partition an SD card, create an EXT2 part, format it, and unpack the root tarball to that.

Hi again speculatrix, thanks for your thoughts on this issue, so, if we do this, the OS is on a remote Card, and the OS is not loaded
to main machine memory as conventional Z OS's are.

This being the case, how do we get the Computer to see this remote OS as its main OS?
Allelectrix
Hi speculatrix, ignore the above question, I just read past your previous reply, I'll give it a go with your multi partition suggestions and see what gives wink.gif
cheers !
craigtyson
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Nov 11 2008, 10:23 PM) *
ok, a little more detailed
1/ unmount the card
2/ do "fdisk -l" to list disks/cards, and then "fdisk /dev/sd$" to partition it where $ is the device
3/ delete all partitions, then
- create a new partition of type primary, use half the card size (start is default, end is (say) +1G). set the type to LBA FAT16.
- create a new partition primary, use rest of the card.
4/ write the partition table
5/ mkfs.vfat /dev/sd$1
6/ mkfs.ext2 /dev/sd$2
7/ eject the card and reinsert, and hopefully the two partitions will be mounted, or mount manually.

unpack the tar file to the ext2 directory, and I think you simply chroot into it?

--edit-- in instructions above I suggested a 1G fat partition so that the card will behave as a useful flash drive acceptable to windows etc to make it easy to transfer files, and also in the hope that inserting it into a windows or mac will not cause them to try and format the card smile.gif
you could make that partition much smaller if wished.

Thanks got some where closer. I now get to mount jffs2 readonly

but then end up with an error

WARNING No /etc/altboot-2.6.cfg found! Check your installation of alt-boot

Any ideas?
speculatrix
QUOTE(craigtyson @ Nov 17 2008, 10:31 PM) *
Thanks got some where closer. I now get to mount jffs2 readonly

but then end up with an error

WARNING No /etc/altboot-2.6.cfg found! Check your installation of alt-boot

Any ideas?

sorry, no idea at all.
craigtyson
OK looked at the TAR and ther is no

/etc/altboot-2.6.cfg in there

Im guessing I have the wrong one.

The install notes say that for a c1000 there is an extra step, but I dont get to the ALTBoot menu to do the extra step??

Is there any way I can extract the TAR to flash? or create a set of simbolic links to the SD ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.