Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Customized New Rootfs
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > Debian
Pages: 1, 2
2or0
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Jul 2 2008, 12:36 PM) *
Been trying to get this installed on my 3200, but so far no go....not sure why, hope someone can please advise...

I currently have Debian EABI installed and working OK on my 3200...so, did the following:

Downloaded file and copied the 5 extracted files onto SD card. At first I left the 'zImage-debian.bin.hda1' file with this filename and tried flashing.

As I understand, if you want to install to hda1 (internal drive) then you need to have a CF card inserted. So I put a CF in the 3200.

When I did flashing, I see the following:

CODE
------ Universal Zaurus Updater r20-1 -------
MODEL:  SL-C3200 (c3x00)
Select the number of the partition to install Debian (1,2 or 3)
1.HDD1 2.HDD2 3.SD
Installing HDD root  file system
umount: /dev/hdc1: Invalid argument
* Now formatting
done
* Now extracting (this can take over 5m)....

Then after about 5 minutes, it's starts extracting lots of files.....then it reboots...

When I got to login prompt, I tried logging in as root, with no password as per instructions, but said incorrect password....so, when I tried the password for my current EABI install, it logged in OK....did startx and it went to IceWM desktop....so, realized that install did not work....

So, after realizing that I think I should have renamed 'zImage-debian.bin.hda1' to just 'zImage', I did that and tried install again....

When I did flashing, I see the following:

CODE
------ Universal Zaurus Updater r20-1 -------
MODEL:  SL-C3200 (c3x00)
Select the number of the partition to install Debian (1,2 or 3)
1.HDD1 2.HDD2 3.SD
Installing HDD root  file system
umount: /dev/hdc1: Invalid argument
* Now formatting
done
* Now extracting (this can take over 5m)....

Then after about 5 minutes, it's starts extracting lots of files.....
also, on some items it says "Could not create directory: No such file or directory"....

then it reboots...

Should I have rename zImage file to 'zImage-debian' instead?

Decided to see if that would make a difference....and tried install again...

Same result, no install....

Can anyone please advise as to how to get this to install correctly?

Thanks!

The explanation in my blog is wrong. You need to follow ZDevil's post. or rename the files: zImage-debian.bin.hda1 ->zImage.bin, rootfs-debian.tgz->hdimage1.bin. Also take update.sh and gnu-tar from Angstrom webpage or ZDevil's post. If you finish this, then reflash it as you did for sharp rom. this is the easiest way, I think.
ArchiMark
QUOTE(2or0 @ Jul 3 2008, 03:57 PM) *
The explanation in my blog is wrong. You need to follow ZDevil's post. or rename the files: zImage-debian.bin.hda1 ->zImage.bin, rootfs-debian.tgz->hdimage1.bin. Also take update.sh and gnu-tar from Angstrom webpage or ZDevil's post. If you finish this, then reflash it as you did for sharp rom. this is the easiest way, I think.

Thanks, for your help, 2or0! (and you too, fatty!!)....

OK, followed your instructions, renamed files and took files from ZDevil's post....this time install seemed to go OK!

Rebooted and now I want to extract modules as per instructions. However, now, I can't seem to get my SD card to mount, please advise....have tried different mount points, but always get the same error message as below:

CODE
#mount -t vfat /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/card
mount point /mnt/card is a symbolic link to nowhere...

Any suggestions????

Thanks!

Capn_Fish
CODE
rm -rf /mnt/card
mkdir /mnt/card
ArchiMark
QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Jul 3 2008, 06:51 PM) *
CODE
rm -rf /mnt/card
mkdir /mnt/card

Thanks, Capn!

Just tried that but still no go....get message no room...

blink.gif

Starting to think something is funky with the last install.... updater started but did not ask me to select which partition to install to like before....just did it automatically, realize now that it didn't install to hda1...

huh.gif

Think I'll try installing again....

rolleyes.gif

Capn_Fish
Maybe either manually format the drive beforehand or shred it for good measure. There may be FS/partition issues, and if you're nuking your current setup anyway...
ArchiMark
QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Jul 3 2008, 07:05 PM) *
Maybe either manually format the drive beforehand or shred it for good measure. There may be FS/partition issues, and if you're nuking your current setup anyway...

Good idea, Capn!

Will try and start fresh....

smile.gif

2or0
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Jul 3 2008, 06:26 PM) *
QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Jul 3 2008, 07:05 PM) *

Good idea, Capn!

Will try and start fresh....

smile.gif

This system automounts CF or SD using autofs modules. If it doesn't work, just remove it as following.
apt-get remove autofs
After rebooting the system, you can mount SD manually.
ArchiMark
Thanks again for your help and for this Rootfs, 2or0!!!!!!!!!

I started fresh install, redownloaded your zip file, extracted the files and this time Voila! it worked!!!!!

Just got to your beautiful desktop!

T H A N K S !

FWIW, I just renamed your 'zImage-debian.bin.hda1' file to 'zImage.bin'. The other files I did not change at all.

tongue.gif

Mark

PS. I did notice some error messages:

When it shutdown for reboot:

Something like:
CODE
cannot open /vmlinuz...stream error"

Also, during boot up, it said:
CODE
can't start Hardware abstraction layer - please ensure that dbus is running
Swapon: can't stat /dev/hda3: No such file or directory

My internal drive, hda1 is where I installed files to and hda2 is my swap partition. I do not have a hda3 partition...

Think there were a few other error messages but this is what I was able to write down so far....

But, so far, everything seems to be working good!

Fatty
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Jul 4 2008, 08:48 AM) *
CODE
#mount -t vfat /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/card
mount point /mnt/card is a symbolic link to nowhere...

Any suggestions????

Thanks!

Mine (auto) goes to /media/card, which is a link from /var/auto blah blah blah.

Also I had all 1G SD working, but one 2G SD having the same issue (Not tried another 4G SDHC). Well, maybe you can use CF instead for extracting the modules?

EDIT1 :
- dbus error can be referred back to post #16, which works for me also.
- for the swapon issue, obviously the init script assumed us to have a swap partition at /dev/hdc3. I just ignore it and adjust /etc/fstab to mount mine (also at /dev/hda2).

EDIT 2:
2or0, forget to thank you for your excellent work!

One stupid question. How can I make a rootfs like yours? I had pretty much utilities installed and would like to do a backup. Thanks!
bunkford
Thank you for the great work you have done! Could you please patch the orinoco wireless driver for injection?
Raul
Could anyone post small how-to about connecting with wifi (wep) with access point?
Capn_Fish
CODE
iwconfig INTERFACE mode managed essid YOURSSID key WEPKEY
dhclient INTERFACE

should do it for you.
Raul
Thanks, I will check that smile.gif
koan
Battery indicator is only half working, it says -1 minutes remaining. I can see % remaining.

How do I fix that ?

2or0
QUOTE(koan @ Aug 12 2008, 04:22 AM) *
Battery indicator is only half working, it says -1 minutes remaining. I can see % remaining.

How do I fix that ?

I tried to read remaining time from zaurus but I couldn't do it with my short knowlege.
koan
QUOTE(2or0 @ Aug 13 2008, 04:41 PM) *
I tried to read remaining time from zaurus but I couldn't do it with my short knowlege.

I see. I searched for "apm battery remaining time", I think you have to calculate remaining time yourself.

An old blog post at http://dkukawka.blogspot.com/2006_03_01_archive.html,

poll battery every 30-60 seconds and compute the remainig time over the percentage because the APM remainig time information are not really trustable and APM does not provide remainig time for changing mode.

A simple approximation is multiplying percentage remaining by battery capacity, e.g. 50% remaining of 1 hour battery = 30 minutes
Raul
I can't connect to hotspot. It worked jst few days ago. I think of upgrading firmware in my Ambicom W1100C card.Is there a way of doing it from the zaurus with andromeda?
ArchiMark
QUOTE(Raul @ Aug 16 2008, 03:15 AM) *
I can't connect to hotspot. It worked jst few days ago. I think of upgrading firmware in my Ambicom W1100C card.Is there a way of doing it from the zaurus with andromeda?

Raul, I have Ambicom card and it works fine....check your settings...have you checked that it works OK in another device?

Raul
It worked fine just a few days ago. I'm sure the card is fine. Could you post your settings? Does it work with orinoco or hostap drivers?
matthis
I only got mine to work with orinoco.

Strangely, after a few times the card would try to load with hostap and fail.

What I did was turn off the card, rmmod hostap_cs hostap, and put it back in, and it would work.
(And strangely I only had to do it once.)
koan
I want to dual boot with Sharp/QPE on NAND.

If I understand correctly, I should
  1. Flash the Sharp ROM to get the filesystem back on NAND
  2. Flash the yonggun kernel
  3. Copy the Sharp kernel file to /boot

Where do I get the Sharp kernel file ?

Thanks
xamindar
QUOTE(koan @ Aug 22 2008, 01:08 AM) *
I want to dual boot with Sharp/QPE on NAND.

If I understand correctly, I should
  1. Flash the Sharp ROM to get the filesystem back on NAND
  2. Flash the yonggun kernel
  3. Copy the Sharp kernel file to /boot
Where do I get the Sharp kernel file ?

Thanks

Koan, all your answers are in this thread: http://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=25555
  1. yes
  2. yes but you missed a LOT of steps, such as installing the actual rootfs
  3. yes, but you may need to compile your own sharp kernel. http://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=25983
If you need any help or have questions you can pm me....I currently have a successful dualboot with sharp rom and eabi.
HRH_H_Crab
Great work Yonggun, I've just switched over to Andromeda.
I noticed that screenshot featuring the "awesome" window manager on your blog.
Any plans to use this in future releases? - it looks amazing!
scottlfa
A shot of my Andromeda, using the Lxp-icewm that comes with Yonggun's rootfs. Love this so far, very responsive.
xamindar
QUOTE(scottlfa @ Aug 30 2008, 08:53 PM) *
A shot of my Andromeda, using the Lxp-icewm that comes with Yonggun's rootfs. Love this so far, very responsive.

Why does it look like windows XP? Sorry, but that is pretty gross to me. Nice wallpaper though biggrin.gif
scottlfa
LOL, well its the darkest theme I can seem to get on it. The ubuntu theme is too bright too me. Tried the icewm themes, but it bombs them back too the default icewm theme ... so its what it has to be for the moment smile.gif
relapse808
I have finally got this installed and I am having a hell of a time getting my ambicom wifi card to work. Can anyone help me out. Its listed as eth1. I have done a iwconfig eth 1 essid myid and done the dhclient eth1 but it wont give me a address. The wifi router is wide open.
wowo123
Works really nice and much faster than my old pdaxrom! Got wifi working with my d-link-card and installed bluetooth (still testing). Only one small issue I noticed: date&time seems to be broken. Has to be done by commandline.
My only problem: (I'm not quite familiar with icewm, I used rox-session with pdaxrom): How can I bring icons on the desktop? Any hint?
scottlfa
idesk, pretty easy to config.
Raul
I would like to backup my andromeda system just in case. How to do it properly?
xamindar
QUOTE(Raul @ Sep 21 2008, 10:09 AM) *
I would like to backup my andromeda system just in case. How to do it properly?

Well, one way would be to use the zaurus backup to make a complete image of your internal disk and NAND. I plan to do this once I get everything how I want it. Then, if anything catastrophic happens just restore those two images and it should work again.
Osage
Hi,

I've got a battery-drain issue. I realize that my c3200 with Andromeda get switched on while suspended and it is in the leather case with lid closed.
First I suspedted that the power button is beeing pressed accidentally, however it was not the case before [Andromeda].

I try to investigate this state. E.g. to log and forbid unattended wake-up while lid is beeing closed.
Tell me, where is a wake-up script and how it should detect the lid switch?
As far as I know, Andromeda uses apm method, but could not get further with this.

What your opinion?
xamindar
QUOTE(Osage @ Nov 8 2008, 01:55 PM) *
Hi,

I've got a battery-drain issue. I realize that my c3200 with Andromeda get switched on while suspended and it is in the leather case with lid closed.
First I suspedted that the power button is beeing pressed accidentally, however it was not the case before [Andromeda].

I try to investigate this state. E.g. to log and forbid unattended wake-up while lid is beeing closed.
As far as I know, Andromeda uses apm method, but could not get further with this.

What your opinion?

I have that problem as well. Mine will also turns on randomly on debian eabi. But it's not much of a problem because I only go into eabi to crack wep and then boot back into sharp rom to actually use the zaurus.
jeana
QUOTE(xamindar @ Nov 9 2008, 05:17 AM) *
QUOTE(Osage @ Nov 8 2008, 01:55 PM) *
Hi,

What your opinion?

I have that problem as well. Mine will also turns on randomly on debian eabi. But it's not much of a problem because I only go into eabi to crack wep and then boot back into sharp rom to actually use the zaurus.

We have the same issue !
Did somebody found a solution, because the Debian distribution isn't usable with this issue (i.e. we need to reset the Zaurus after each the battery drain, and re-input the date/time) ?
jeana
On my SL-C3000, the issue of the battery drain seems to be related to the following :
  • on dmesg
    sharpsl-pm sharpsl-pm: Error: AC check failed.
    sharpsl-pm sharpsl-pm: Charging Error!

EDIT:
  • Power status
    The power status applet is changing from "Computer is running on battery power" to "Computer is running on AC power" when no power supply is plugged. The power status applet seems to indicate the On-line/Off-line of /proc/apm
    • Without power plugged
        Sometimes Online :
      • apm : "On-line, battery status high: 100%" and the charging led is off
      • cat /proc/apm : "1.13 1.2 0x02 0x01 0x00 0x01 100% -1 ?"

• Sometimes Off-line :
      • apm : "Off-line, battery status high: 100%" and the charging led is off
      • cat /proc/apm : "1.13 1.2 0x02 0x00 0x00 0x01 100% -1 ?"
    • With power plugged
        Sometimes battery status high
      • apm : "On-line, battery status high: 100%" and the charging led is off
      • cat /proc/apm : "1.13 1.2 0x02 0x01 0x00 0x01 100% -1 ?"

• and after many plug/unplug/plug of the power, the battery status is charging
      • apm : "On-line, battery charging: 100%" and the charging yellow/orange led stay on
      • cat /proc/apm : "1.13 1.2 0x02 0x01 0x03 0x08 100% -1 ?"
I didn't find what is triggering this malfunctioning.

EDIT:
Did somebody is encountering the same symptoms ?
Yao
I have downloaded andromeda.
The kernel is for hda1 and sd.

I have something already installed in these two partition.
I want to install andromeda to sd partition 2.

Is there a kernel for sd p2. Or can this kernel accept a cmdline to specify root=/dev/mmcblk0p2
BTW:I am using angstrom kexecboot kernel.
Muckel
QUOTE(Yao @ May 14 2009, 12:05 AM) *
I have downloaded andromeda.
The kernel is for hda1 and sd.

I have something already installed in these two partition.
I want to install andromeda to sd partition 2.

Is there a kernel for sd p2. Or can this kernel accept a cmdline to specify root=/dev/mmcblk0p2
BTW:I am using angstrom kexecboot kernel.

Try http://yonggun.tistory.com/68 with the Kernel image zImage.bin.mmcblk0p2.

I used the 2.6.24.3 kernel because I had issues with 2.6.24.4.

Achim
linx
I haven't messed with my Zaurus for a loooong time now. It is sitting in a shelf with a "would like it to work dual boot w/ Ubuntu + Cacko" but it doesn't. I am in the middle of an examination period now and I really want to put Andromeda back to my trusted little machine and hope that I can get my Prism Planex GW-CF11x card to work flawlessly. So because free time is scarce at the moment and I would like to take my SL-C3200 with me during the summer vacation I would like to know if there are any updates in yongun's kernel (which is the latest) or an updated EABI image (since we had the release of Debian 5.0 in the meantime) or anything else (post install script fixing minor stuff) I might consider to have it up and running in a little time. I just want networking to work (probably WPA too) so I can have unlimited space to upload photos from my camera.

A second question would be if there is a problem with sdhc cards? I was using Andromeda w/o problems with a 4gb card but due to heavy usage it got some bad blocks and discarded it for a new 8gb kingston one but it doesn't seem to work. And if anyone had/has a problem with that kind of wireless card could point me to one that does indeed work "out of the box"?

Thanks again in advance and sorry for the length of this post.

PS: If anyone from Greece or Ibiza is up to the challenge to help me fix the machine please say so!
scottlfa
I have used 8Gb SDHC cards with my Z experiements.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.