Hi Bill, I'm the opie-reader developer and I have only heard of one other user with the same "starts from terminal but not from gui" problem.
I saw how helpful you had been in the past, so I wanted to give your reader another go, not to mention the good reviews it has received. It was worth it - really a nice reader! Ebook reading is one of the main things that is a 'must have' for me in a handheld.
I think it may have been due to some issues with installing to CF but from what you say it seems to be a permissions problem.
You may be correct, as mine is installed to the SD card. I found out, when running from the terminal, it would start if I was the default user (Zaurus in the 3.1 ROM), but I would get the libreader_codec.so.1 error when trying to start as root. Therefore, I did ls -l to find out what other options for users I had, and saw one that was 501:501 (user:group). So, tinkering, I chown 501:501 uqtreader. This seemed to fix it intermittantly (initially it worked, now it doesn't). A more permanent fix was to create a script (that I called uqtread.sh):
Then I chmod a+x uqtread.sh; chown 501:501 uqtread.sh. Then, under the 'Tab Settings' option from the gui, I changed Opie-Reader to launch 'uqtread.sh' rather than 'uqtreader'. This works every time. No idea why or how
I'll keep tinkering with it as the product is worth the effort.
BTW If I'm anywhere near understanding correctly, the same fix ought to work for version e as well. For the other user with this problem, I ended up supplying a version with all the codecs compiled into the app. If anyone wants one of those, let me know - it'll be from the tips of my development tree so isn't ready for general release but it is good enough for most use.
I believe one of the 2 fixes should work for the other user with the problem. If I find a cleaner fix, I'll let you know. Thanks for your help, and please continue the good work