QUOTE(nilch @ Sep 4 2008, 07:00 PM)
Primarily the Zaurus is a good pocket computer.
- Precisely. It's an all-purpose system that's slightly larger than a pack of cards ... jack of all trades and master of none. If maximum flexibility to configure the system to work as you like, and fiddling with how things work and/or are done, then the Zaurus simply can't be beat. If you are willing to invest the time and energy there is very little a Zaurus can't be made to do. Likewise, if someone else hasn't invested the time and energy already there's very little the Zaurus will do with a simple install and launch. Fortunately most of the big bases are covered, like PIM and general "office" kinds of apps.
Unless you really want a Zaurus for what it does best - you have more alternatives now than the Zaurus
- This is true of any computer. If you want what it does then get it. If it doesn't, look further. There are no alternatives to what the Zaurus does, however, particularly in this size and form factor. Absolutely none.
specially if you want to hold it in the light of iTouch/iPhone comparison.
- Most especially nothing by Apple does what a Z does, given that app development is a serious PITA and Dictator For Life Jobs can jerk your iPhone product from his one and only distribution channel whenever the whim strikes him. No, not a Z at all. I have a Zaurus. I will never own an iPhone.
- If you want it to "just work", however, iPhone may be a good choice for you. I prefer flexibility and the freedom to do what I want with hardware I've paid for. That's the tradeoff ... live in the Jobs Cage and have it "just work" (as long as "work" is only the way DFL Jobs decrees it will work), live in the M$ Cage and have some flexibility at the expense of performance and stability, or spend time learning how and why the system functions like it does and make it "just work" exactly the way you want to. Then there's Palm, which is a DOS-level operating system that I wouldn't even consider a valid paper weight. (smirk) I'm not aware of any other choices.
- Was that a rant? Bad Rags (brown-eyed puppy dog look)...