Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pandora Is Starting To Really Interest Me
OESF Forums > General Forums > General Support and Discussion > New products and alternatives
Pages: 1, 2
Chero
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Dec 7 2008, 08:21 AM) *
QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Dec 6 2008, 07:50 PM) *
Ubuntu's officially supporting the Pandora's architecture (armv7a) from 9.04. Is that enough for you?

Well, that's a pretty good start, Capn.....

Thanks!

smile.gif

Zaurus RAMx4 , Zaurus NANDx4.
You should take a look at the speed tests they are doing !!!
The pandora is gonna be really really fast !
ArchiMark
QUOTE(Chero @ Dec 7 2008, 01:22 AM) *
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Dec 7 2008, 08:21 AM) *
QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Dec 6 2008, 07:50 PM) *
Ubuntu's officially supporting the Pandora's architecture (armv7a) from 9.04. Is that enough for you?

Well, that's a pretty good start, Capn.....

Thanks!

smile.gif

Zaurus RAMx4 , Zaurus NANDx4.
You should take a look at the speed tests they are doing !!!
The pandora is gonna be really really fast !

Another good point....will check that out....

Thanks, Chero!
Capn_Fish
This kind of goes with the RAM/NAND thing, but it'll have a MUCH better browsing experience. In a similar vein, watching 800x480 movies fullscreen should work prefectly.

The internal Wi-Fi and Bluetooth will be nice, if only for the reason of not having things sticking out of the device.

More pixels on the screen means you can see more of whatever you're doing.

A full-sized USB port means you don't need a cable to connect your mouse, USB flash drive, or keyboard. Plus, it has a USB OTG port, so you still can use the Z's host cable to connect 2 USB devices at once.

It has all-day battery life (well, working day for most people, at least, even assuming you're using it constantly).

Apparently people have discovered how to do basic pressure sensitivity on the TS, so things like GIMP (which should run very nicely, BTW) will be even cooler.

Lastly (for this post), the people who ARE getting one. myself included, will talk about how awesome it is and make you feel sad that you passed up the chance to get one from the first batch and now have to wait until ~March. tongue.gif
ArchiMark
QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Dec 7 2008, 08:54 AM) *
This kind of goes with the RAM/NAND thing, but it'll have a MUCH better browsing experience. In a similar vein, watching 800x480 movies fullscreen should work prefectly.

The internal Wi-Fi and Bluetooth will be nice, if only for the reason of not having things sticking out of the device.

More pixels on the screen means you can see more of whatever you're doing.

A full-sized USB port means you don't need a cable to connect your mouse, USB flash drive, or keyboard. Plus, it has a USB OTG port, so you still can use the Z's host cable to connect 2 USB devices at once.

It has all-day battery life (well, working day for most people, at least, even assuming you're using it constantly).

Apparently people have discovered how to do basic pressure sensitivity on the TS, so things like GIMP (which should run very nicely, BTW) will be even cooler.

Lastly (for this post), the people who ARE getting one. myself included, will talk about how awesome it is and make you feel sad that you passed up the chance to get one from the first batch and now have to wait until ~March. tongue.gif

OK, I'll cry "uncle" now, Capn..... wink.gif

Well, just one more question please, before I breakdown and reorder....

You mentioned that Ubuntu will be available, (I've also read over at the Pandora forums about people working on Gentoo...)....while that is good, won't I still be in the same boat as with the Zaurus, that is being dependent upon people to recompile apps so that they run on the ARM CPU??

Thanks.
Tom61
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Dec 7 2008, 11:30 PM) *
You mentioned that Ubuntu will be available, (I've also read over at the Pandora forums about people working on Gentoo...)....while that is good, won't I still be in the same boat as with the Zaurus, that is being dependent upon people to recompile apps so that they run on the ARM CPU??

Thanks.

With Gentoo, you could compile apps directly on the device by just using the package manager, and Ubuntu should have a fair number ARM packages available. Still, the utility of this device to a non-gamer, and non-programmer is highly debatable, pending you need more than web browsing and terminal use.
ArchiMark
QUOTE(Tom61 @ Dec 7 2008, 05:15 PM) *
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Dec 7 2008, 11:30 PM) *

Thanks.

With Gentoo, you could compile apps directly on the device by just using the package manager, and Ubuntu should have a fair number ARM packages available. Still, the utility of this device to a non-gamer, and non-programmer is highly debatable, pending you need more than web browsing and terminal use.

Thanks for the input, Tom61.... think you're point about the utility of this device to a non-gamer, like myself is very pertinent....

Capn_Fish
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Dec 7 2008, 05:30 PM) *

Not at all. Ubuntu is OFFICIALLY porting Ubuntu to the Pandora's architecture (armv7a), meaning it will be like Debian on the Z (except faster due to increased CPU speed and the correct optimizations for the CPU): Just about everything that's open-source and in Ubuntu will be available for the Pandora.

I've got mixed feelings/impressions on Gentoo. While I love the distro (hence me using it on my main box), it seems odd to port it to the Pandora, only to add in a packaging system. Seems like it would be better to just port Debian with the optimizations or something to me, but I'm not going to complain having about more (as in quantity) optimized distros available.

EDIT:
http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS9527593286.html

EDIT II:
Ubuntu for ARM is expected to arrive in products in April, 2009, says ARM.
gojira
QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Dec 8 2008, 02:44 PM) *
Not at all. Ubuntu is OFFICIALLY porting Ubuntu to the Pandora's architecture (armv7a), meaning it will be like Debian on the Z (except faster due to increased CPU speed and the correct optimizations for the CPU): Just about everything that's open-source and in Ubuntu will be available for the Pandora.

unfortunately, just because ubuntu or debian etc support a given cpu architecture doesn't mean that it'll run on any given platform using that architecture...
Capn_Fish
QUOTE(gojira @ Dec 8 2008, 05:07 AM) *
QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Dec 8 2008, 02:44 PM) *

unfortunately, just because ubuntu or debian etc support a given cpu architecture doesn't mean that it'll run on any given platform using that architecture...

They already have Ubuntu running:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOPNurKei0I

so I doubt that will be an issue.

@ArchiMark: One more thing to twist your arm: If you decide you don't want your Pandora after you get it, there are a good deal of people who are looking to buy off of those who preordered.
Tom61
QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Dec 8 2008, 03:44 AM) *
I've got mixed feelings/impressions on Gentoo. While I love the distro (hence me using it on my main box), it seems odd to port it to the Pandora, only to add in a packaging system. Seems like it would be better to just port Debian with the optimizations or something to me, but I'm not going to complain having about more (as in quantity) optimized distros available.

Reasons are two fold:
1) Hard-core Gentoo users are almost as fanatical as hard-core BSD users on wanting to port their operating system choice on every platform imaginable.
2) Portage allows you to port and do some optimizations with almost no effort of the end user, just emerge the needed package (pending it's flagged as Arm compatible).
Capn_Fish
QUOTE(Tom61 @ Dec 9 2008, 04:02 PM) *
QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Dec 8 2008, 03:44 AM) *

2) Portage allows you to port and do some optimizations with almost no effort of the end user, just emerge the needed package (pending it's flagged as Arm compatible).

But the extra binary layer they're adding in kind of defeats this purpose (why not just make them into IPKs|RPMs|DEBs?)...

Still, I'm happy to have more choices, and the only real downside I see is the wear you'd get on SD cards when building natively (if you do that at all).
Chero
new blog post on openpandora.org including a nice video of Angstrom running on the pandora.
That beast is gonna be really fast !
Just seeing how long it takes to launch gnumeric (take a look at the video) would convince me to order one immediately ...

But, then again, I already ordered. tongue.gif rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

Have fun,
Chero.
the_oak
Still no news? Anyone got theirs yet?
urkden
QUOTE(the_oak @ Jan 1 2009, 05:20 PM) *

The news are that there is no news... 1st batch is gonna take some more time. In the best scenario it could take a pair of months from now...
ArchiMark
QUOTE(urkden @ Jan 1 2009, 01:02 PM) *
QUOTE(the_oak @ Jan 1 2009, 05:20 PM) *

The news are that there is no news... 1st batch is gonna take some more time. In the best scenario it could take a pair of months from now...

Guess I made the right decision (at least for me...) to bail on the re-order.....

Although my mobile device garage is pretty empty right now....only pocketable device I have now is my N810...

wink.gif

apink
QUOTE(the_oak @ Jan 1 2009, 08:20 AM) *

They have started producing the first batch. This will be my next portable when my c1000 needs replacing.

http://www.open-pandora.org/index.php?opti...mid=2〈=en
Chero
I've got mine !

Check this for a start : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WlxmJkGav4

There are already quite a lot of unboxing vids on youtube.
And some reviews can be found in the pandora section of www.gp32x.com/board

Nice and very fast device !

Have fun,
Chero
_dark_
From UMPC portal:

The Amazing Open Pandora Story Continues

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.