Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Zubuntu 1.0 Rc1
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > Ubuntu
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Capn_Fish
My initial thoughts/observations:
-dhclient is broken (same problem others have expressed)
-Orinoco/hermes is modprobed by default (I think there's something that can be done with making a list of card IDs or something similar)
-There appear to be some extra Python packages installed, probably left over from WICD's removal
Capn_Fish
Does anybody know how to rebuild the X server (I gather it's in the Xorg sources, but I suspect there's more to it than just "--enable-kdrive")?

I'd like to rebuild it with the XKEYBOARD extension.

Thanks.
Jon_J
QUOTE(cortez @ Jan 2 2009, 04:28 PM) *
QUOTE(Jon_J @ Jan 2 2009, 10:48 PM) *
One other thing which has been mentioned here: tskeys consumes 89% and up to 92% of CPU according to "top"
When first booting, I launch the console (which takes awhile) and use "top" to kill it. Once its killed response is greatly improved.

tskeys is responsible for the "selected device is not a touchscreen i understand". It tries to use the device used for the offscreen keys (home, mail, contacts etc) which is configured for Akita on default (sorry, my fault). Try to delete the files /etc/zaurusd/mach-config-funcs and /etc/zaurusd/mach-config-vars and reboot. With a bit of luck the message is gone wink.gif

I deleted both files and I still get the error message upon reboot. It doesn't seem to effect performance, I still need to kill tskeys to get "snappy" performance in the window manager.
I looked in /etc/zaurusd/ and these two files have been re-created.
pasteur
Now CF slot is working. ^^ But my wireless lan(I heard that it uses prism chip) doesn't work yet.

Here is the result of typing "pccardctl info"

PROID_1="IPOne"
PROID_2="AirGate2000C"
PROID_3="Verstion 01.02"
PROID_4=""
MANFID=0713,0002
PROID=6
Capn_Fish
QUOTE(Jon_J @ Jan 2 2009, 10:00 PM) *
One other thing which has been mentioned here: tskeys consumes 89% and up to 92% of CPU according to "top"
When first booting, I launch the console (which takes awhile) and use "top" to kill it. Once its killed response is greatly improved.

tskeys is responsible for the "selected device is not a touchscreen i understand". It tries to use the device used for the offscreen keys (home, mail, contacts etc) which is configured for Akita on default (sorry, my fault). Try to delete the files /etc/zaurusd/mach-config-funcs and /etc/zaurusd/mach-config-vars and reboot. With a bit of luck the message is gone wink.gif

I deleted both files and I still get the error message upon reboot. It doesn't seem to effect performance, I still need to kill tskeys to get "snappy" performance in the window manager.

Try commenting out the lines for tskeys in /etc/init.d/zaurusd
Jon_J
QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Jan 3 2009, 07:41 AM) *
QUOTE(Jon_J @ Jan 2 2009, 10:00 PM) *

Try commenting out the lines for tskeys in /etc/init.d/zaurusd

That stopped tskeys from loading. I'm not sure if I edited this file correctly. I had to comment out a couple commands: "fi", because I was getting syntax errors.
/etc/init.d/zaurusd
CODE
#!/bin/sh

killproc() {            # kill the named process(es)
        pid=`/bin/ps -e x |
             /bin/grep $1 |
             /bin/grep -v grep |
             /bin/sed -e 's/^  *//' -e 's/ .*//'`
        [ "$pid" != "" ] && kill $pid
}

. /etc/zaurusd/config

case "$1" in
    start)
        echo "Starting Zaurusd"

if [ "x$HAVE_ALSA_MIXER" != "x" ]; then
        /usr/sbin/alsactl restore
    fi

if [ "x$HAVE_INPUT_SWITCHES" != "x" -a -x /usr/bin/switchevd ]; then
            /usr/bin/switchevd $SWITCH_EVENT_DEVICE &
        fi

#        if [ "x$HAVE_TSKEYS" != "x" -a -x /usr/bin/tskeys ]; then
#            modprobe uinput    
            if [ -x /usr/bin/setleds ]; then
            /usr/bin/setleds +num < /dev/tty0
        fi
        if [ -e /etc/profile.d/tslib.sh ]; then
            . /etc/profile.d/tslib.sh
        fi
#            if [ -e /etc/pointercal ]; then
#                /usr/bin/tskeys $TSKEYS_CONF $TSKEYS_DEVICE &
#            fi
#        fi
;;

stop)
        echo "Stopping Zaurusd"
    if [ -x /usr/bin/switchevd ]; then
            killproc /usr/bin/switchevd
    fi
    if [ -x /usr/bin/tskeys ]; then
            killproc /usr/bin/tskeys
    fi
    if [ "x$HAVE_ALSA_MIXER" != "x" ]; then
        /usr/sbin/alsactl store
    fi
;;

restart)
        $0 stop
        sleep 1
        $0 start
;;

*)
        echo "usage: $0 { start | stop }"
        exit 1
;;
esac

exit 0
Capn_Fish
I just commented out the whole block, IIRC.

I managed to get Kdrive built, no idea if it has XKB support or not. I'll get to testing it eventually.

The dhclient issue seems to be kernel-related, since when I boot with the 2.6.24-Yonggun kernel it works fine (still get the unknown hardware message, but it works).
Wildherb
OK, thanks, I'll do a completely fresh install with all the latest files and make sure my card is Ext2 at the same time. Will report back later this evening...

Cortez. I've done a fresh install using the spitz tar file in your link an the other files from your blog - I trust that will give me the latest kernel. I've also made sure my SD card is formatted ext2 this time. I still cannot see any CF devices and hence cant even manually configure a network interface. My symptoms are:
no /dev/hdx devices listed at all
no output from pccardctl ident

Here is my dmesg | tail output:
CODE
logger created 64k log 'log_radio'
TCP cubic registered
Xscale iWMMXt coprocessor detected
sa1100-rtc sa1100-rtc: setting systen clock to 1970-01-02 etc
Waiting for root device /dev/mmcblkp01..
mmc new SD card at address b368
mmblk0: mmc0:b368 SD      1960448K1B
mmcblk0: p1 p2
VFS: mounted root (ext2 filesystel) readonly
Freeing init memory: 80K

What now?
ofels
QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Jan 3 2009, 03:03 AM) *
-Orinoco/hermes is modprobed by default (I think there's something that can be done with making a list of card IDs or something similar)

Blacklist the orinoco modules in /etc/modprobe.d/

Oliver
Jon_J
Has anyone mapped the menu key on the clamshell zaurus to zubuntu's menu yet? If so how?
I have tried xbindkeys-config, but it wants a two key combination when making new shortcuts.
Capn_Fish
Using Fluxbox makes it easy. I don't know if there's a way to switch Openbox out for it (I didn't see anything obvious, ln -s should work tongue.gif), but you could disable the Fluxbox panel and it should act the same (and eliminate the need for xbindkeys).

HTH
Wildherb
Just a quick post to say that I'm now up and running with my C3000! Wifi is running just fine and the microdrive is recognised. apt-get seems to work fine. Thanks Cortez and everybody else!
cortez
QUOTE(Jon_J @ Jan 5 2009, 12:16 AM) *
Has anyone mapped the menu key on the clamshell zaurus to zubuntu's menu yet? If so how?
I have tried xbindkeys-config, but it wants a two key combination when making new shortcuts.

Zubuntu uses LXDE, which is based on Openbox. For instructions on how to change mouse and keyboard mappings in Openbox, see here
zmike
Hi Cortez,
This looks like a promising release but I haven't had any luck with my SL-C860. I went through changing the event2 to event1 for the touchscreen but when startx runs, it opens a window in "portrait" mode but upside-down. I have the zaurus open for the keyboard.

Mouse clicks are far off the mark.

At bootup I get

/usr/sbin/alsactl: load_state:1313: Cannot open /var/lib/alsa/asound.state for reading: No such file or directory
Can't open display :0
/usr/sbin/alsactl: save_state:1251: No soundcards found...

I hope to get it running to see how it does but have only command line for now.
zmike
Some progress - I edited .xinitrc and it helped but the mouse is way off. Is there a way to calibrate it?
Thanks!
mike

I do get an error "Extended Input Devices not yet supported. when I abort startx

ts_calibrate does the trick. Now I have to figure out how to configure networking with a symbol technologies card I guess.
speculatrix
QUOTE(zmike @ Jan 13 2009, 04:15 AM) *
Now I have to figure out how to configure networking with a symbol technologies card I guess.

the socket/symbol wifi card is soft-mac, so you have to have a firmware uploader for it - spectrum24 chipset IIRC. I think it was posted to this forum a while back, let me know if you don't find it as I can probably dig out a copy (I had one once, but traded up to a prism2-based zonet/mercury zcf1100).
Fatty
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Jan 13 2009, 10:26 PM) *
Now I have to figure out how to configure networking with a symbol technologies card I guess.

the socket/symbol wifi card is soft-mac, so you have to have a firmware uploader for it - spectrum24 chipset IIRC. I think it was posted to this forum a while back, let me know if you don't find it as I can probably dig out a copy (I had one once, but traded up to a prism2-based zonet/mercury zcf1100).

My Socket Low Power Wifi CF works.

Initially, it complaints for fw. I goes to /lib/firmware and find nothing there. As I have Debian installed also, I copy all files from there to Zubuntu's and the interface comes up at eth0. Of course, I have to configure the /etc/network/interface manually beforehand. Now my ugly Pretec (works with both Debian & Zubuntu) can now goes to Akita tongue.gif

I also replaced the internal 16G CF (which replaced the original MD long long time ago) to a Socket bluetooth CF (works when dual-booting to Debian, yet to figure out how to set up a ppp connection with my HTC Touch Pro). If everything goes right, I will have a dual wireless Z laugh.gif
zmike
Thanks for the reply. I hope I don't have to update the firmware. It works with Cacko and Angstrom - not sure what is different. I searched and didn't see anything for the firmware so if you have it I could try it. Not sure how I would upgrade it since I have mainly Apples or Linux desktop-wise.

I wasn't getting any response to the card at first but after searching, I ran:

modprobe pxa2xx_cs

Looks like something to do with firmware because I get the message:

spectrum_cs: Cannot find firmwared: symbol_sp24t_prim_fw
spectrum_cs: Firmware download failed
hermes @ c4880000: Timeout waiting for card to reset (reg=0x0000)!
eth0: failed to initialize firmware (err = -110)
spectrum_cs: register_netdev() failed

Thanks!
Mike
Fatty
QUOTE(zmike @ Jan 14 2009, 09:19 AM) *
spectrum_cs: Cannot find firmwared: symbol_sp24t_prim_fw
spectrum_cs: Firmware download failed

I don't mean you have to update firmware in your card. I mean you don't have the firmware (driver) in Zubuntu's /lib/firmware. (In fact the rootfs of Zubuntu release doesn't contain the firmware)

I've sent you the files which are from Andromeda Debian in case you don't have. It work for me.
zmike
Thanks! Got the file and put it onto the SD card. The symbol is now blinking so that probably does it!
Now to wrestle with iwconfig.

Thanks again!
Mike
macwiz
I would like to try Zubuntu on my c860. It has languished for a long time. But do I gather from the above that there are extra files I need to make it work? I have found the following:
http://www.zaurus.org.uk/cortez/ubuntu/dow...d/zubuntu/c7x0/
But is there anything else I need?

Thanks
cortez
QUOTE(macwiz @ Jan 19 2009, 11:02 AM) *
I would like to try Zubuntu on my c860. It has languished for a long time. But do I gather from the above that there are extra files I need to make it work? I have found the following:
http://www.zaurus.org.uk/cortez/ubuntu/dow...d/zubuntu/c7x0/
But is there anything else I need?

Thanks

All you need can be found here, including full installation instructions.
Good luck!
undrwater
Any reason to hope for development on Tosa? I know you mentioned it earlier...just hoping for an update.
cortez
QUOTE(undrwater @ Jan 19 2009, 05:42 PM) *
Any reason to hope for development on Tosa? I know you mentioned it earlier...just hoping for an update.

My wishlist is tend to get longer and longer, and yes, on that list is support for theTosa. It's not currently something I'm working on though.
klaxon
QUOTE(cortez @ Jan 20 2009, 07:50 AM) *
QUOTE(undrwater @ Jan 19 2009, 05:42 PM) *

My wishlist is tend to get longer and longer, and yes, on that list is support for theTosa. It's not currently something I'm working on though.

And what is in top of this list ? wink.gif
macwiz
Some progress - I edited .xinitrc and it helped but the mouse is way off. Is there a way to calibrate it?
Thanks!
mike

I do get an error "Extended Input Devices not yet supported. when I abort startx

ts_calibrate does the trick. Now I have to figure out how to configure networking with a symbol technologies card I guess.

Hi. Can you elaborate on what you did to get beyond the rotated screen. I am stuck there.

Thanks
zmike
Sure thng..
In .xinitrc remove the line that has xrandr in it.
To calibrate your mouse -
In terminal before you do a startx run ts_calibrate as root.
Then when you do a startx everything should be ok.

Good luck!
- Mike
macwiz
OK, thanks.

Screen now looks good but ts_calibrate returns an error:
CODE
determinent is too small -- 0.000000
Calibration failed

This was run as root before X started. On starting X cursor is 1/2 screen out.

Any ideas?

Also, will there be sound (seeing errors about alsa)?

Cheers
jeana
QUOTE(macwiz @ Jan 21 2009, 02:46 PM) *
OK, thanks. I'll have a go. Where do I find .xinitrc?

In your home directory :
CODE
cd
vi .xinitrc
macwiz
QUOTE(jeana @ Jan 21 2009, 01:53 PM) *
QUOTE(macwiz @ Jan 21 2009, 02:46 PM) *
OK, thanks. I'll have a go. Where do I find .xinitrc?

In your home directory :
CODE
cd
vi .xinitrc

Cheers, had found it, but now have calibration error (see above)
macwiz
I sorted my screen and cursor on my c860 thanks to this and other threads. Thanks everyone. Zubuntu looks good!

Now I wonder what next? I need to sort out my wifi and would like to know if there is a feed to install applications from if I ever do get networking.

Thanks
speculatrix
QUOTE(macwiz @ Jan 23 2009, 12:35 AM) *
Now I wonder what next? I need to sort out my wifi and would like to know if there is a feed to install applications from if I ever do get networking.

yes, but instead of ipkg and other things specific to sharp and angstrom, it's the regular debian package repository arrangement, so type "apt-cache search fred" to search for a package with "fred" in the name, and "apt-get install fred" when you'd found one. "dpkg -l" will list installed packages.

note if you're behind a proxy, do "setenv http_proxy http://myproxy:myport" and then you can use the apt- commands no problem.

Paul
macwiz
Thanks. That's an incentive to get my wifi sorted.
zthird
CL860 suspend issues:

issue 1: suspend happens after no user interaction EVEN if the power suppy IS plugged in.
Is there any way to set the machine to suspend if the unit is battery only powered ?

issue 2: using the metal power button on the side of the unit to resume from suspend wakes the Z for half a second and then resuspends repeatable ad infinitum.
Using the keyboard "home" power button is the only way to wake the zaurus completely.

Otherwise great work! I will be donating as soon as I get some money !
zthird
QUOTE(zthird @ Jan 25 2009, 10:47 PM) *
issue 1: suspend happens after no user interaction EVEN if the power suppy IS plugged in.
Is there any way to set the machine to suspend if the unit is battery only powered ?
issue 2: using the metal power button on the side of the unit to resume from suspend wakes the Z for half a second and then resuspends repeatable ad infinitum.
Using the keyboard "home" power button is the only way to wake the zaurus completely.

doh ! stupid stupid stupid, of course the Z was not going into suspend mode but simple terminal blanking (screensaver) !
to disable just use
CODE
setterm -powersave off -blank 0

apink
QUOTE(zthird @ Jan 25 2009, 01:47 PM) *
CL860 suspend issues:

Otherwise great work! I will be donating as soon as I get some money !

fwiw: I had suspend issues similar to this on my c1000. They went away when I got a swap partition going.
svs57
I read this topic closly but didn't find how make my CF cards work.
pxa2xx_cs, ide_cs, dtl1_cs modules loaded.
I did pccardctl insert and then pccardctl info
Nothing
lspcmcia show nothing.
I tried CF memory and CF Socket BT
Who can explain me how can I make CF work?
Thank you.
cortez
QUOTE(svs57 @ Feb 4 2009, 12:40 PM) *
Nothing
lspcmcia show nothing.
Thank you.

Make sure you always mention what model you're using wink.gif
svs57
QUOTE(cortez @ Feb 4 2009, 02:48 PM) *
QUOTE(svs57 @ Feb 4 2009, 12:40 PM) *
Nothing
lspcmcia show nothing.
Thank you.

Make sure you always mention what model you're using wink.gif

Sorry smile.gif
SL-C750
PS
# rmmod pcmcia
# rmmod pxa2xx_cs
kernel BUG at mm/slab.c 590!
Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000000
Internal error: Oops" 817 [#1] PREEMPT
svs57
Where can I get 2.6.28 for sl-750 with kexec?
Thank you.
John Rose
I have a Zaurus C=860.

I put on the first partition of the SD card (which has the first partition as ext2 - I did sudo mke2fs /dev/mmcblk0p1 after creating this partition - and the second partition as linux-swap) the files extracted (i..e. untarred & unzipped using my laptop's Ubuntu Extractor) from the zubuntu-desktop root file system. I then copied the extracted files from the appropriate root-addition archive to the extracted zubuntu-desktop directories on my laptop (i.e. the 3 files from the root-addition /boot directory to the zubuntu-desktop /boot directory and the 2.6.26 directory & its files from the root-addition /lib/modules directory to the zubuntu-desktop /lib/modules directory). I copied the resultant file structure to the SD card's first partition.

I flashed the multiboot kernel OK - using a CF card as I presumed that I wouldn't need to do it again. I got the Omegamoon screen showing the Zubuntu 1.0 distro (as per the instructions). I selected Zubuntu 1.0. The SD card was recognised there was a message 'VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly' and a message stating 'Freeing init memory 84K). Then there was a message 'Warning: unable to open an initial console' and the Zaurus froze.

Help please!
apink
QUOTE(cortez @ Dec 31 2008, 04:17 AM) *
By the way, people reporting that detection of the NAND partitions takes extremely long during booting, try erasing or re-flashing the NAND, this solves this problem.

Thanks Cortez for all that you have done with zubuntu. It is working well for me.

I tried re-flashing NAND (with the kexec kernel) and still get a long partition detection time. There are several parts to the NAND. Which would I erase if I wanted to shorten the NAND detection time?

qaz
QUOTE(apink @ Feb 8 2009, 12:51 AM) *
QUOTE(cortez @ Dec 31 2008, 04:17 AM) *
By the way, people reporting that detection of the NAND partitions takes extremely long during booting, try erasing or re-flashing the NAND, this solves this problem.

Thanks Cortez for all that you have done with zubuntu. It is working well for me.

I tried re-flashing NAND (with the kexec kernel) and still get a long partition detection time. There are several parts to the NAND. Which would I erase if I wanted to shorten the NAND detection time?

I had the same problem with slow probing flash and solved it by installing mtd-utils_1.1.0+git-r1_arm.deb (from "Running Zubuntu from internal flash" blog post) and using command flash_eraseall /dev/mtd2 and /dev/mtd3 (default root and home partitions for Sharp ROM). I don't know if you use those partitions for anything, so take care smile.gif.

zthird
I finally got sound working on the 860, bit hit and miss but...
changed the line in /etc/modules to
CODE
snd-soc-corgi

rebooted.
ran alsamixer and set the following
CODE
Master          85%
Master P        MUTE
Sidetone        0%
Mic Boos        MUTE
Playback        None
Capture         MUTE
ADC High        MUTE
Input Mu        Mic
Jack Fun        Headphone
Output M        UNMUTED
Output M        MUTE
Speaker         Off
Store DC        MUTE

where
the names are truncated as in the display, wich is why "Output M" appears twice
MUTE is [MM] and UNMUTED is [00] changed using the 'm' key
Use the up and down arrows to change all other functions/values
You can turn "Speaker" to "On" as required.
apink
QUOTE(qaz @ Feb 8 2009, 12:14 PM) *
I had the same problem with slow probing flash and solved it by installing mtd-utils_1.1.0+git-r1_arm.deb (from "Running Zubuntu from internal flash" blog post) and using command flash_eraseall /dev/mtd2 and /dev/mtd3 (default root and home partitions for Sharp ROM). I don't know if you use those partitions for anything, so take care smile.gif.

Thanks. Reboots in no time.

newbie worry: in looking up flash_eraseall I saw something about maybe including the -j option. I didn't and hope this was ok.
Kirin
anyone has ever tried to use Planex GW-CF11H ( a prism3 card) on Zubuntu?

Do I need any specific drivers and settings on my C3200?

I'm a newbie and any help would be great :-)
same
QUOTE(Kirin @ Feb 21 2009, 07:01 PM) *
anyone has ever tried to use Planex GW-CF11H ( a prism3 card) on Zubuntu?

Do I need any specific drivers and settings on my C3200?

I'm a newbie and any help would be great :-)

remove /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
you should have
blacklist orinoco
blacklist orinoco_cs
blacklist hermes

then reboot, if iwconfig outputs an eth0 interface instead of a wlan0 interface
delete those modules: in /lib/modules/2.6.26-omegamoon.../kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco* and then hermes*
and reboot
then iwconfig should return wlan0, if nothing is returned, do a modprobe hostap_cs if module is not present in lsmod
then just add to /etc/network/interfaces

allow-hotplug wlan0

#use this config if WEP
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless_essid ACCESS_POINT_NAME
wireless_mode managed
wireless_key PASSWORD

#use this config if WPA
iface wlan0 inet static
wpa-ssid ACCESS_POINT_NAME
wpa-psk PASSWORD
address 10.0.0.20
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 10.0.0.1

use dhcp or static, just merge the configuration that fits you
then
ifdown wlan0
ifup wlan0

i don't know if firmware loads are required, i don't need it, my card fw are:
PRI: 1.1.0
STA: 1.7.4
Kirin
Thanks same, finally I can get my 3200 wifi on with Zubuntu.

However, I notice it can't get online if the ssid is hidden (not broadcast)...

Anyway, does anyone ever able to get sound on 3100 or 3200?
Capn_Fish
QUOTE(John Rose @ Feb 7 2009, 03:09 PM) *
I have a Zaurus C=860.

I put on the first partition of the SD card (which has the first partition as ext2 - I did sudo mke2fs /dev/mmcblk0p1 after creating this partition - and the second partition as linux-swap) the files extracted (i..e. untarred & unzipped using my laptop's Ubuntu Extractor) from the zubuntu-desktop root file system. I then copied the extracted files from the appropriate root-addition archive to the extracted zubuntu-desktop directories on my laptop (i.e. the 3 files from the root-addition /boot directory to the zubuntu-desktop /boot directory and the 2.6.26 directory & its files from the root-addition /lib/modules directory to the zubuntu-desktop /lib/modules directory). I copied the resultant file structure to the SD card's first partition.

I flashed the multiboot kernel OK - using a CF card as I presumed that I wouldn't need to do it again. I got the Omegamoon screen showing the Zubuntu 1.0 distro (as per the instructions). I selected Zubuntu 1.0. The SD card was recognised there was a message 'VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly' and a message stating 'Freeing init memory 84K). Then there was a message 'Warning: unable to open an initial console' and the Zaurus froze.

Help please!

I'd try redownloading the files and extracting from the command line:

CODE
cd sd-mount-point
tar -xvpf zubuntu-tarball.tar.bz2

cortez
QUOTE(Kirin @ Feb 25 2009, 06:17 PM) *
Thanks same, finally I can get my 3200 wifi on with Zubuntu.

However, I notice it can't get online if the ssid is hidden (not broadcast)...

Anyway, does anyone ever able to get sound on 3100 or 3200?

To get sound going, run alsamixer and unmute all channels. This should do the trick
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.