Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Zubuntu 1.0 Rc1
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > Ubuntu
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Fatty
QUOTE(cortez @ Dec 30 2008, 02:37 AM) *
Just to let you know, there is a new boot-kernel and zubuntu-kernel coming up for Spitz. I hope this solves some of the problems, like booting from internal flash, wrong modules (spitz instead of akita), build-in support for some of the hardware (compact flash, mtd etc) and extra (wireless) networking kernel modules.

Thanks for the update.

Yes these fixed 1) modules issues like CF access 2) multi-boot menu does show the descriptions of different distro.

However, two new issue arouse to my C3100:
1) the new multi-boot kernel takes several minutes probing /dev/mtdblockX
2) after startx, an error msg prompted 'Unable to establish connection with FAM. Do you have "FAM" or "Gamin" installed and running?' and I lost the background. I also found the pointer flickers a lot.

As such, can anyone send me the original multi-boot kernel? Thanks in advance!

simon_chu@ymail.com
Jon_J
Fatty, sent original spitz multiboot kernel via PM here on OESF

EDIT:
I haven't tried the latest release, I'll download it now.
(SL-C3100)
First I just untarred the new spitz-root-addition to my SD card, I haven't re-flashed the new multiboot kernel yet, I'll do that next.
All my CF partitions are available and mounted now, both internal and external. smile.gif
I also have a volume control on the taskbar.
One new error though, with my quick observation:
"Zubuntu login: Can't open display :0"
I just typed in "root" (the curser was in the middle of the bottom of the screen)
Then startx
X started with just a hatched background and mouse pointer and nothing else.
I then restarted X (ctrl-alt-bkspace)
X started again like above, then after a moment the desktop appeared.
I going to flash the new kernel now, maybe this will resolve this issue.

EDIT2
Flashed new kernel, cacko isn't on the menu. Maybe I need to get my mtd partition numbers correct in /boot/kernel-cmdline (in cacko)
I selected Zubuntu.
Checking filesystem with fsck, got to about 85% and it failed, then it rebooted automatically.
2nd boot, it didn't need the filesysytm check.
I still get the above error message:
Zubuntu login: Can't open display :0
I had to restart X a second time, it still acts like I posted above.
I tried to set the date/time with the "date" command. The screen flashed and locked up.
The date/time changed on the taskbar to the new entry. (the old date was jan 01 1970)
I need to use the reset switch in the battery box now.

Back in Zubuntu. Taskmanager is showing CPU @ 100% constantly now. On first install, it would vary and settle down to about 40-50%
I don't see any high numbers, I have about 12 entries showing -1% all others are 0%
terminal takes a lot longer to launch now.
Using top, tskeys is using 92.5% CPU. Before I tried to kill it, it just went away by itself.

EDIT3
If I wait long enough after X starts, I also get the error that Fatty posted about above.
'Unable to establish connection with FAM. Do you have "FAM" or "Gamin" installed and running?'
Fatty
QUOTE(Jon_J @ Dec 30 2008, 01:15 PM) *

EDIT:
I haven't tried the latest release, I'll download it now. (I've been at another forum reading about ripping/saving blu-ray discs) smile.gif

Thanks JonJ! Flashed and is much faster! Since the description is not a must, I'll keep using the old one.

BTW, any Pretec WIFI CF user able to bring up wifi under Zubuntu? With the new patches, my card is recognized as wlan0 (from dmesg), but I failed to bring up the interface and the CF keeps blinking. The CF works under Debian as eth1.
klaxon
I've tried to run Cacko from NAND with zubuntu with my C860
I can see Cacko in the menu but it doesn't want to boot.
I used /var/log/dmesg for kernel-cmdline.
lineager
QUOTE(Fatty @ Dec 29 2008, 09:40 PM) *

EDIT:
I haven't tried the latest release, I'll download it now. (I've been at another forum reading about ripping/saving blu-ray discs) smile.gif

Thanks JonJ! Flashed and is much faster! Since the description is not a must, I'll keep using the old one.

BTW, any Pretec WIFI CF user able to bring up wifi under Zubuntu? With the new patches, my card is recognized as wlan0 (from dmesg), but I failed to bring up the interface and the CF keeps blinking. The CF works under Debian as eth1.

Fatty, I got the same problem as your first post. Does the original spitz multibook kernal fix those problems?
If yes, please send me a copy of the kernal. My Planex GW-CF11X also fail to load... huh.gif
Fatty
QUOTE(lineager @ Dec 31 2008, 02:36 AM) *
QUOTE(Fatty @ Dec 29 2008, 09:40 PM) *

EDIT:

Fatty, I got the same problem as your first post. Does the original spitz multibook kernal fix those problems?
If yes, please send me a copy of the kernal. My Planex GW-CF11X also fail to load... huh.gif

PMed.

That will fix the slow probing issue, but no distro description will be shown.
dinorex
i have tried this using my 3100, but i found the following traps

a/ the boot menu options are different: it has no (Internal Flash Experiment) option, only the CF option is displayed (the internal CF)

b/ when i choose this option the kernel was trapped by saying "Warning: unable to open an initial console".

it seems like there should be a step on flashing the Internal installation on the Zubuntu. Please advise for any extra steps involved. Thz.
Fatty
QUOTE(dinorex @ Dec 31 2008, 06:28 AM) *

a/ the boot menu options are different: it has no (Internal Flash Experiment) option, only the CF option is displayed (the internal CF)

b/ when i choose this option the kernel was trapped by saying "Warning: unable to open an initial console".

it seems like there should be a step on flashing the Internal installation on the Zubuntu. Please advise for any extra steps involved. Thz.

a. The internal version is only experimental. The method provided by Cortez at the moment install the distro in SD only. In fact, afaik, the multiboot kernel will search any valid partition (SD, CF, internal HDD or even internal mem block) with valid boot image/kernel command/description within /boot. So it is only up to you where to place the distros.

b. For the initial console issue as well as rtc one could be solved as advised by suggested in Cortez's blog:

Booting in the emergency system, mounting the zubuntu root file system, changing to /dev and there doing:
CODE
mknod -m 660 console c 5 1
mknod -m 660 null c 1 3
mknod -m 660 rtc c 10 135

dinorex
O...... i've just reformated the MD for android.... seems like i need to untar the desktop again for another couple of hours ... lol
Jon_J
I'm trying to get wifi working and the settings files seem to be in different places than pdaxrom or angstrom.
I have an ambicom WL1100C-CF. This card works fine in cacko, pdaxrom, and angstrom.
What is the preferred method to get wifi connected in ubuntu/zubuntu? (without a GUI for now)
My access point is open with no encryption when I'm trying this.
So I went to ubuntu forums and studied this howto:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=5...=network+config

Unencrypted Connection
All commands typed at the command line:
<interface> = wlan0 in my case.
CODE
ifconfig <interface> down
dhclient -r <interface> (error: There is already a pid file /var/run/dhclient.pid with pid 0 wifi0: unknown hardware address type 801 Can't create addrlist socket)
ifconfig <interface> up (card lights up and flashes)
iwconfig <interface> essid "ESSID_IN_QUOTES"  (card lights up and stays lit)
iwconfig <interface> mode Managed
dhclient <interface> (error: There is already a pid file /var/run/dhclient.pid with pid 0 wifi0: unknown hardware address type 801 Can't create addrlist socket )
Capn_Fish
I'd try removing the pid file and trying again, and maybe also killing dhclient (killall dhclient).

If that still doesn't work, I've had issues with usb0 making dhclient fail for wlan0 for some reason (that wouldn't be the error here, but it might pop up afterwards).

HTH
matthis
@jon_j: I have the same card and had the same problem: here I what I did to get it work.

1. get the modules which work: Orinoco does the job, while hostap/hermes don't, so add the following lines to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist:
blacklist hostap_cs
blacklist hostap
backlist hermes

2. If you don't reboot, unload hostap with rmmod

3. next time you put your card in it should be attributed eth0, so set it up in /etc/network/interfaces

4. to avoid the problem with dhcp, set it up with static ip: for example

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.11.4
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.11.1

5. ifup eth0

6. if it still doesn't work, check that /etc/resolv.conf points to your router's ip. For example:
nameserver 192.168.11.1

Hope this helps
Fatty
Mine is a Pretec wifi cf and works when dual boot to Debian (up as eth1). In Zubuntu, the card is recognized as wlan0 so I tried editing /etc/network/interface & /etc/resolv.conf directly (all static settings) as in Debian but with no luck. Card keeps blinking.

Time to work and will test later.
dinorex
There is also another problem on the /dev/shm as well.
[initscripts: BOOT FAILURE: checkroot.sh can't fsck /dev/shm/root because /dev/shm is mounted nodev]

However, I have searched the Debian bug fixed site and found out the following work-around:-

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=386347

attached is my modified /etc/init.d/checkroot.sh aligned to the suggestions raised in that URL
cortez
I've removed wicd at some point. You can try to get (wireless) network going by re-installing wicd. It is untested, but it may be worth a try

Cheers,
cortez
lineager
QUOTE(Fatty @ Dec 30 2008, 06:49 PM) *
QUOTE(dinorex @ Dec 31 2008, 06:28 AM) *

a. The internal version is only experimental. The method provided by Cortez at the moment install the distro in SD only. In fact, afaik, the multiboot kernel will search any valid partition (SD, CF, internal HDD or even internal mem block) with valid boot image/kernel command/description within /boot. So it is only up to you where to place the distros.

b. For the initial console issue as well as rtc one could be solved as advised by suggested in Cortez's blog:

Booting in the emergency system, mounting the zubuntu root file system, changing to /dev and there doing:
CODE
mknod -m 660 console c 5 1
mknod -m 660 null c 1 3
mknod -m 660 rtc c 10 135

I have the zubuntu system on a 4G SD card, but the big SD card cannot be detected in the emergency system. unsure.gif

cortez
@lineager: Why not make a small partition on this 4Gb card and install a small console image in it. Works great as an emergency solution! When you add the nand utilities you're even able to flash the NAND partitions from there.

By the way, people reporting that detection of the NAND partitions takes extremely long during booting, try erasing or re-flashing the NAND, this solves this problem.
Jon_J
I'm not going to go with matthis's suggestion to use orinoco and blacklist hostap.
Every thread I have seen regarding orinco vs. hostap suggests using hostap with wifi cards with prism2 chipset and newer firmware.
This card works with hostap and wpa/wpasupplicant in Cacko, pdaxii13, and (angstrom GPE and opie)

I now have a question. How can I force apt-get to find a local package?
I copied wicd_1.5.2_1_all.deb to my cf card. Card is mounted.
apt-get /media/cf/wicd_1.5.2_1_all.deb
E: Couldn't find package wicd_1.5.2_1_all.deb

So I cd to /media/cf and tried both:
apt-get /media/cf/wicd_1.5.2_1_all.deb
apt-get wicd_1.5.2_1_all.deb
Same error as above. There must be a way to force apt-get to "see" a package that is in the same directory.
I also tried apt-get wicd
Thank you
Jon
klaxon
You could use dpkg -i instead.
Jon_J
QUOTE(klaxon @ Dec 31 2008, 08:43 AM) *
You could use dpkg -i instead.

Thanks, that worked. smile.gif I was searching the ubuntu forums for apt-get and local packages, with no results.

Unfortunately I'm now dpkg -r wicd, as it locks up and doesn't respond when I try to set up it's preferences.

cortez, I don't think wicd is ready for installation. It seems to be too heavy and auto-loads into the tray.
When I launch it, it takes awhile to load and goes into "not responding" mode, if it doesn't display "not responding" and I select preferences, the following dialog goes into "not responding" mode and I have to close it. That's why I uninstalled it.
Jon_J
QUOTE(dinorex @ Dec 31 2008, 02:17 AM) *
There is also another problem on the /dev/shm as well.
[initscripts: BOOT FAILURE: checkroot.sh can't fsck /dev/shm/root because /dev/shm is mounted nodev]

However, I have searched the Debian bug fixed site and found out the following work-around:-

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=386347

attached is my modified /etc/init.d/checkroot.sh aligned to the suggestions raised in that URL

I tried this and it seems to work so far. smile.gif I just renamed /etc/init.d/checkroot.sh to checkroot.sh.bak then copied your checkroot.sh to /etc/init.d/

I was previously having problems with my card being unmounted improperly. I boot angstrom, then kexec to cacko from within angstrom. I think somewhere in these boot processes, the card is unmounted wrongly.
Many times, booting zubuntu gives me an error about filesystem being unmounted uncleanly.
Then fsck starts automatically, but previously, many times it failed and either auto-rebooted, or sent me to a maintenance console to perform a manual fsck.
Matthewmongan
Great work. as soon as some clarification on installing to flash is available count me in. Also, i think it would be interesting to test the netbook remix interface on the zaurus seems like a good fit until some headway is made on the UbuntuMID platform. Im using the remix right now as a matter of fact, on a dell mini 9.

edit: if time avails are there any differences between the installation procedure for a multi-boot set-up and a single boot that i should be aware of? personally, i would like to commit to one distro. threesomes are not my thing, after all you can only boot one at a time.
Wildherb
I've now re-flashed my C3000 with Angstrom plus the multi-boot kernel. Zubuntu now boots fine from my SD card, I'll check out getting Angstrom working shortly, but first, I"ve been itching to see Zubuntu in action.

Cortez. this is a stunning piece of work, my warmest congratulations to you! Seriously, it is exactly what the Z has waiting for! It seems to be very fast and responsive, and (important for me) easy to adjust the fonts to make it easy on the eyes on such a small screen.

Unfortunately, I've also hit the same issues as others on this thread regarding access to CF devices. For reference, the cards I've got availale for testing are as follows and I cant get anthing out of any of them. I managed to get yonggun debian working by manually configuring /etc/network/interfaces but nothing seems to work here.

3 wifi cards:
Symbol Spectrum24
Netgear MA701
Ambicom WL1100C

Socket Bluetooth rev F

Planex 10baseT

Plus various sizes of CF memory carsds which I cant seem to mount.
Jon_J
Wildherb, I got my Ambicom WL1100C card working by installing wifi-radar from the repository.
Look at this thread, it's kind of messy, but it works for me with hostap. I blacklisted orinoco
http://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=26419
Wildherb
QUOTE(Jon_J @ Jan 1 2009, 11:33 PM) *
Wildherb, I got my Ambicom WL1100C card working by installing wifi-radar from the repository.
Look at this thread, it's kind of messy, but it works for me with hostap. I blacklisted orinoco
http://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=26419

Jon_J, thanks, I did see your post about wifi-radar and I then went googling for the ubuntu arm repository - but with no luck. Would you be so kind as to share the link with me?
Jon_J
found them here:
/etc/apt/sources.list
CODE
deb http://repository.handhelds.org/hasty-armv5el-vfp/ hasty main universe multiverse
deb-src http://repository.handhelds.org/hasty-armv5el-vfp/ hasty main universe multiverse
deb-src http://repository.handhelds.org/hasty-source/ hasty main universe multiverse
deb-src http://repository.handhelds.org/ubuntu/ hardy main universe multiverse

wifi-radar is here:
CODE
http://repository.handhelds.org/hasty-armv5el/pool/universe/w/

Edit:
How can I fix the mouse navigation? it is reversed. I can use my USB mouse to access right-clicks. The stylus and touchscreen don't have right-click.
Wildherb
QUOTE(Jon_J @ Jan 2 2009, 12:32 AM) *
found them here:
/etc/apt/sources.list
CODE
deb http://repository.handhelds.org/hasty-armv5el-vfp/ hasty main universe multiverse
deb-src http://repository.handhelds.org/hasty-armv5el-vfp/ hasty main universe multiverse
deb-src http://repository.handhelds.org/hasty-source/ hasty main universe multiverse
deb-src http://repository.handhelds.org/ubuntu/ hardy main universe multiverse

wifi-radar is here:
CODE
http://repository.handhelds.org/hasty-armv5el/pool/universe/w/

Edit:
How can I fix the mouse navigation? it is reversed. I can use my USB mouse to access right-clicks. The stylus and touchscreen don't have right-click.

Ah, of course! no need for google - the answer was right in front of me if only I had engaged my brain to look for it!

I'll try this tomorrow.

Kind regards.
dinorex
so far i've tried to make it run in the MD. However, if this can be installed in NAND instead of using the MD as the based system (say like pdaX), the performance should be much better since the loading speed is quite slow - for heavy disk activities are involved on loading from MD).

Please advise whether there is a guideline for that turns to reality. Thx.
pasteur
Hi. Thanks for working on this great distro for zaurus. :-)
I have properly installed zubuntu kernel and rootfs on my c1000.
Unfortunately, It seems to can't recognize CF devices like wireless lan card and CF memory.
After inserting CF memory card, I typed 'cd /dev' and 'ls'. I looked for device hdx but I couldn't find one.

I want to get my CF device working on c1000.
Thanks for reading this. Happy new year!
Capn_Fish
QUOTE(dinorex @ Jan 1 2009, 07:25 PM) *
so far i've tried to make it run in the MD. However, if this can be installed in NAND instead of using the MD as the based system (say like pdaX), the performance should be much better since the loading speed is quite slow - for heavy disk activities are involved on loading from MD).

Please advise whether there is a guideline for that turns to reality. Thx.

That's not necessarily the issue. Angstrom runs off of the MD, but it doesn't take forever to load. I'm guessing it has more to do with Ubuntu being a distro not optimized for disk usage or something instead.
scheck.r
Edit:

On my C1000, I get right -click with the stylus using CTRL+Tap

Cheers
cortez
QUOTE(pasteur @ Jan 2 2009, 03:14 AM) *
Unfortunately, It seems to can't recognize CF devices like wireless lan card and CF memory.
After inserting CF memory card, I typed 'cd /dev' and 'ls'. I looked for device hdx but I couldn't find one.

Have you tried running modprobe pxa2xx_cs?
Loading this kernel module should get your CF cards working. Add pxa2xx_cs to the file /etc/modules to automatically load this module on next reboot.
Jon_J
QUOTE(scheck.r @ Jan 2 2009, 08:02 AM) *
Edit:

Cheers

It is setup in xbindkeys-config, but for some reason its not working. I haven't tried editing it, this is the setting:
Right Miouse Click Control + b:1 (mouse) xte 'mouseclick 3'
Wildherb
Cortez, I dont have a module pxa2xx_cs. Modprobe cant recognise it, nor can I locate it with find.
I'm using a C3000.

Any thoughts?
cortez
QUOTE(Jon_J @ Jan 2 2009, 05:10 PM) *
Edit:

Cheers

It is setup in xbindkeys-config, but for some reason its not working. I haven't tried editing it, this is the setting:

Please start xbindkeys-config from a terminal, select the "Right Mouse Click" item, click the "Run action" button and see if there's an error displayed in the terminal window
cortez
QUOTE(Wildherb @ Jan 2 2009, 06:43 PM) *
Cortez, I dont have a module pxa2xx_cs. Modprobe cant recognise it, nor can I locate it with find.
I'm using a C3000.

Any thoughts?

For the C3000 using the latest Spitz kernel pxa2xx_cs is compiled into the kernel already, so you won't have to load it manually. Please insert a CF card and check dmesg | tail to see what's going on
scheck.r
QUOTE(cortez @ Jan 2 2009, 07:09 PM) *
QUOTE(Jon_J @ Jan 2 2009, 05:10 PM) *
Edit:

Cheers

Please start xbindkeys-config from a terminal, select the "Right Mouse Click" item, click the "Run action" button and see if there's an error displayed in the terminal window

Using xbindkeys-config I could change Right-click settings to read:
Name: Right Mouse Click
Key: Mod4 + b:1 (mouse)
Action: xte 'mouseclick 3'

which is Fn + Tap though Control + Tap worked also before changing the settings.

Thanks
Jon_J
I get nothing in the console when I use "Run action" with "Right Mouse Click" in xbindkeys-config.
I also tried scheck.r's modification:
Name: Right Mouse Click
Key: Mod4 + b:1 (mouse)
Action: xte 'mouseclick 3'

Then I selected it and hit "Run action"
No output in the console
I didn't save this, I want to leave it as is until I can figure out what is wrong.

I get these two errors when starting from a fresh reboot:

1. before I input "root", I get:
Then I input "root"

2. Then once I "startx", I get this error in a popup dialog on the desktop: (It takes awhile for this error to appear)
Unable to establish connection with FAM. Do you have "FAM" or "Gamin" installed and running?

Edit:
Unrelated to the above, I noticed since I used the latest spitz upgrade, I have two module directories.

/lib/modules/2.6.26-omegamoon
and
/lib/modules/2.6.26-omegamoon-spitz
cortez
QUOTE(Jon_J @ Jan 2 2009, 07:43 PM) *

Replace /etc/zaurusd/scripts/zaurus-hinge with the file attached to resolve this (rename the file to zaurus-hinge, so remove the .txt extension)

2. Then once I "startx", I get this error in a popup dialog on the desktop: (It takes awhile for this error to appear)
Unable to establish connection with FAM. Do you have "FAM" or "Gamin" installed and running?

I see this occasionally, but exit and restart of X11 resolves this.

Unrelated to the above, I noticed since I used the latest spitz upgrade, I have two module directories.
and

Please remove the /lib/modules/2.6.26-omegamoon directory. These are the modules from the previous kernel.
Click to view attachment
Wildherb
QUOTE(cortez @ Jan 2 2009, 06:13 PM) *
QUOTE(Wildherb @ Jan 2 2009, 06:43 PM) *
I'm using a C3000.

Any thoughts?

For the C3000 using the latest Spitz kernel pxa2xx_cs is compiled into the kernel already, so you won't have to load it manually. Please insert a CF card and check dmesg | tail to see what's going on

here it is - not what I was expecting to see!

CODE
#dmesg |tail
sharpsl-pm sharpsl.pm Fatal Batt Error! Suspending
PM: Syncing filesystems ... done
Freezing user space processes ... (elapsed 0.00 seconds) done
Freezing remaining freezable tasks ... (elapsed 0.00 seconds) done
Suspending console(s)
wakeup: PEDR: 800000000, PKSRL 0, HP_IN: 100000. AK_INTL 2000
wakeup: PEDR: 1, PKSRL 0, HP_IN: 100000. AK_INTL 2000
restarting tasks ... done

so I rebooted and ran it again. by the way, all error messages are typed by hand so apolgies if any tying errors have crept in.

CODE
#dmesg |tail
snd: version magic '2.6.26-omegamoon preempt mod_unload ARMv5 ' should be '2.6.26-omegamoon-akita preempt mod_unload ARMv5'
snd_timer: version magic '2.6.26-omegamoon preempt mod_unload ARMv5 ' should be '2.6.26-omegamoon-akita preempt mod_unload ARMv5'
snd_pcm: version magic '2.6.26-omegamoon preempt mod_unload ARMv5 ' should be '2.6.26-omegamoon-akita preempt mod_unload ARMv5'
snd_soc_core: version magic '2.6.26-omegamoon preempt mod_unload ARMv5 ' should be '2.6.26-omegamoon-akita preempt mod_unload ARMv5'
snd_soc_pxa2xx: version magic '2.6.26-omegamoon preempt mod_unload ARMv5 ' should be '2.6.26-omegamoon-akita preempt mod_unload ARMv5'
snd_soc_wm8750: version magic '2.6.26-omegamoon preempt mod_unload ARMv5 ' should be '2.6.26-omegamoon-akita preempt mod_unload ARMv5'
snd_soc_pxa2xx_i2s: version magic '2.6.26-omegamoon preempt mod_unload ARMv5 ' should be '2.6.26-omegamoon-akita preempt mod_unload ARMv5'
EXT3 FS on mmcblk0p1, internal journal uinput:version magic '  should be '2.2.26-omegamoon-akita preempt mod_unload ARMv5'

I certainly was not aware that my card is EXT3, although I'm happy to reformat and install again if that might be causing the problem.

cortez
QUOTE(Wildherb @ Jan 2 2009, 09:29 PM) *
[code]#dmesg |tail
snd: version magic '2.6.26-omegamoon preempt mod_unload ARMv5 ' should be '2.6.26-omegamoon-akita preempt mod_unload ARMv5'

It looks like you're using the older kernel. Please update it with the latest version (/boot/zImage). Don't forget to reboot afterwards wink.gif
Wildherb
QUOTE(cortez @ Jan 2 2009, 08:39 PM) *
QUOTE(Wildherb @ Jan 2 2009, 09:29 PM) *
[code]#dmesg |tail

It looks like you're using the older kernel. Please update it with the latest version (/boot/zImage). Don't forget to reboot afterwards wink.gif

OK, thanks, I'll do a completely fresh install with all the latest files and make sure my card is Ext2 at the same time. Will report back later this evening...

Jon_J
QUOTE(cortez @ Jan 2 2009, 02:24 PM) *

Replace /etc/zaurusd/scripts/zaurus-hinge with the file attached to resolve this (rename the file to zaurus-hinge, so remove the .txt extension)

I see this occasionally, but exit and restart of X11 resolves this.

and

Please remove the /lib/modules/2.6.26-omegamoon directory. These are the modules from the previous kernel.
Click to view attachment

I renamed /etc/zaurusd/scripts/zaurus-hinge to zaurus-hinge.bak and replaced it with the one attached here and rebooted.
I now get this error:
"selected device is not a touchscreen i understand"
My touchscreen works as it did before. I don't have right click with the stylus, and my USB mouse is reversed. The USB mouse acts like it is in portrait mode. I'm not sure if these two things are related, as most people don't use an externel mouse. I just have been using it to access right and middle clicks.

I didn't get this error this time: "Unable to establish connection with FAM. Do you have "FAM" or "Gamin" installed and running?"

I removed /lib/modules/2.6.26-omegamoon directory.

One other thing which has been mentioned here: tskeys consumes 89% and up to 92% of CPU according to "top"
When first booting, I launch the console (which takes awhile) and use "top" to kill it. Once its killed response is greatly improved.
canguy247
QUOTE(Jon_J @ Jan 2 2009, 04:48 PM) *
The USB mouse acts like it is in portrait mode. I'm not sure if these two things are related, as most people don't use an externel mouse.

This is because of the x server version we are using. Unfortunately there is no way to fix it without recompiling either the mouse driver or x server.

One other thing which has been mentioned here: tskeys consumes 89% and up to 92% of CPU according to "top"
When first booting, I launch the console (which takes awhile) and use "top" to kill it. Once its killed response is greatly improved.

Kill tskeys (using top if you want, or just "killall tskeys") before you type startx. will save you loads of time.
Jon_J
QUOTE(canguy247 @ Jan 2 2009, 04:17 PM) *
The USB mouse acts like it is in portrait mode. I'm not sure if these two things are related, as most people don't use an externel mouse.

This is because of the x server version we are using. Unfortunately there is no way to fix it without recompiling either the mouse driver or x server.

Kill tskeys (using top if you want, or just "killall tskeys") before you type startx. will save you loads of time.

Thank you for this solution. smile.gif I'll do this before typing startx.
cortez
QUOTE(Jon_J @ Jan 2 2009, 10:48 PM) *

tskeys is responsible for the "selected device is not a touchscreen i understand". It tries to use the device used for the offscreen keys (home, mail, contacts etc) which is configured for Akita on default (sorry, my fault). Try to delete the files /etc/zaurusd/mach-config-funcs and /etc/zaurusd/mach-config-vars and reboot. With a bit of luck the message is gone wink.gif
Capn_Fish
I just got to install Zubuntu (It's booting now), and have my usual question:

What kernel patches have been applied?

Other stuff:
-The MD5SUM of the Kexec kernel listed on the main page is incorrect (at least for Spitz). The one in the actual download dir is correct, however.
-Is there a way to change the "theme" of the kexec menu? I'm guessing that would take a kernel recompile, but I thought I'd ask.
-Thanks for all of your work! This is really cool!
cortez
QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Jan 3 2009, 12:40 AM) *
I just got to install Zubuntu (It's booting now), and have my usual question:

What kernel patches have been applied?

Other stuff:
-The MD5SUM of the Kexec kernel listed on the main page is incorrect (at least for Spitz). The one in the actual download dir is correct, however.
-Is there a way to change the "theme" of the kexec menu? I'm guessing that would take a kernel recompile, but I thought I'd ask.
-Thanks for all of your work! This is really cool!

- Kernel patches from poky repository + Android 1.0 patches
- MD5s are corrected, sorry, very sloppy!
- Theming the kexec menu would mean rebuilding indeed. But there are lots of ideas for making the bootmenu even more advanced, so maybe a little theming could be done

Glad you like it!

Cheers,
cortez
pasteur
QUOTE(cortez @ Jan 3 2009, 12:37 AM) *
QUOTE(pasteur @ Jan 2 2009, 03:14 AM) *

Have you tried running modprobe pxa2xx_cs?
Loading this kernel module should get your CF cards working. Add pxa2xx_cs to the file /etc/modules to automatically load this module on next reboot.

Thanks! I'll try it.
speculatrix
woohoo, I am up and running. I am using the microdrive on my C3100, to get the multi-boot I had to do this:

1/ put the zubuntu kernel, rootfs desktop tar.gz on the card (calling it android-root.tar.gz), along with the android updater.sh and gnu-tar; booted the OK menu and did the install from scratch, flashing the kernel, wiping the disk and unpacking the tar.gz
2/ replaced the rootfs tar gz with the spitz spitz-root-addition.tar.gz, replaced the zImage with the multiboot zImage, went through OK update, flashed kernel, didn't format disk, did the unpack

now when it powers up it asks me what to boot, it finds the microdrive rootfs, boots and runs!

CF ethernet worked as before, as did wifi (hostap was default, hooray!). I still have the same old dhcp problem as with the previous release :-(
CODE
wifi0: unknown hardware address type 801
Can't create addrlist socket

so I've used a static IP.

WEP works fine needing only entries in interfaces file; haven't tried WPA yet but I imagine it will work OK.

Speed seems much much better!

--edit--
screen orientation was already landscape.
no ssh/sshd, installed dropbear, worked first time
created a swapfile as before, added entry to /etc/fstab so it'll start one up at boot

--edit2--
I put, in the interfaces file,
CODE
    pre-up /sbin/pccardctl resume 1
    pre-up /bin/sleep 2
    post-down /sbin/pccardctl suspend 1

and it now automagically saves power when wlan is idle.

--edit3--
When I tried "apt-get install kismet" it downloaded stuff, but errored with dpkg: dpkg - error: PATH is not set. Ahah, had to do "export PATH", so I think there's something wrong in the /etc/profiles or something when it sets PATH. Noticed that kismet_ui.conf had the default sound player, installed "bplay" and changed config thus soundplay=/usr/bin/bplay. Sound doesn't appear to work, alsamixer looks OK, sound not muted.
Hmm, mplayer isn't in the repository, although other packages refer to it :-(
Audacious, preinstalled, appears to play an mp3, but I don't hear anything.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.