Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dhclient Fixed For Spitz
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > Ubuntu
Jon_J
I didn't see this "fix" anywhere on OESF, so I decided to post it here.
This has worked for me on my SL-C3100. I'm not sure if this works on all covered models.
------------------------------------------------
credit goes to Stefani at omegamoon blog:
dhclient will fail with message "can't create addrlist socket" due the bad or missing support of the kernel capabilities.

Setting the user and group id of dhcp both to 0 (root) will solve the problem.

------------------------------------------------
credit goes to crash at omegamoon blog:
You have to modify the "dhcp" entry in the /etc/passwd file. That was a tip by Stefani earlier before:
"...Setting the user and group id of dhcp both to 0 (root) will solve the problem..."
speculatrix
ah, that explains it! of course, if dhcpcd/dhclient wasn't running as root, it'd b0rk!

thanks for alerting us. that really does help!
teh.sean
QUOTE(Jon_J @ Jan 6 2009, 05:07 PM) *
You have to modify the "dhcp" entry in the /etc/passwd file. That was a tip by Stefani earlier before:
"...Setting the user and group id of dhcp both to 0 (root) will solve the problem..."

To those here who are linux newbies (like me!), would that be:
CODE
chmod u+s,g+s dhcp

Assuming I was already in /etc/passwd ?
teh.sean
Wait, further research makes me think this is a modification to the actual /etc/passwd file?

And in fact it is. For newbies: modify the dhcp line in /etc/passwd. The numbers 101 and 103 should be 0's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.