Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Zaurus Is Dead .... Long Living Zaurus Aka Pc-z1
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Model Specific Forums > Sharp PC-Z1 NetWalker
Zuse
Sitting here in Japan with all those gadgets and goodies around... I was still silently crying at night, since my Zaurus (Akita) never was working as I aspect it.

Bought it shortly before Sharp officially announced the death of Zaurus and played around with all those different distribution I was never really happy with it. Coming from Psion I was really annoyed to ride again a dead horse and I was loosing interest in clamshell keyboard PDAs recently.

We all accept Zaurus is discontinued but it seems Sharp start to think different
The Netbook market brings a lot of movement and a little geekish market starts to become more and more mainstream. This means more and more potential customers... music in the ears of every sales manager.

TODAYS BIG SURPRISE !!!! THERE IS A NEW ZAURUS !!!!!!

O.k. the do not call it Zaurus anymore but it is clearly inspired by its predecessor.
Yes, someone might say its not a Zaurus but more a crossbread between a Netbook and a Zaurus, but it has some potential which let it stick out of the generic netbook market.

All infos can be found at

http://sharp-world.com/corporate/news/090827.html

The specs read nice. Many features are available which were missing or limited for Zaurus. No official price yet, but rumors in Japan and some logical thinking says we could expect a price around that of a standard netbook.

Model name: PC-Z1-W/-B/-R
Installed OS: Linux/Ubuntu 9.04 (Smartbook Remix ARM-based, Sharp customized version)
LCD: 5-inch, widescreen TFT LCD (Wide-SVGA resolution, LED backlit, touch-screen)
CPU: i.MX51 multimedia applications processor manufactured by Freescale Semiconductor
Main memory: 512 MB (fixed)
Input devices: 68-key keyboard (key pitch: approx. 14 mm; key stroke: approx. 0.8 mm),Quick Launch button
Pointing device: Optical pointer (optical pointing device), touch-screen
Storage memory: Approx. 4 GB flash memory (user area: approx. 2 GB)
Communications function: Wireless LAN (IEEE 802.11 b/g compatible)
Card slot: microSD Memory Card/microSDHC Memory Card x 1 (16 GB max.)
Interfaces: Headphone output (stereo mini-jack) x 1, USB x 1, miniUSB x1
Battery operating time: Approx. 10 hours
Dimensions / Weight: Approx. 161.4 (W) x 108.7 (D) x 19.7–24.8 (H) mm /Approx. 409 grams
Main software:
Browser: Firefox®
Flash plug-in: Adobe® Flash® LiteTM
Mail: ThunderbirdTM
Integrated software: OpenOffice.org
Schedule management: Sunbird®
Graphics: OpenOffice.org 3.0 Drawing
Audio & video: Totem Video Player
Accessory: gedit Text Editor
Other: Document Viewer

Unfortunately the do not state what means USB 2.0 compatible for them. Bluetooth seems to be missing as well and the CF slot is gone... which is bad if you still have Wifi, GPS or other CF-cards laying around.

However, keep your money together! Don't buy a crapy WinXP Netbooks and stay tuned...

Greetings

Zuse
tovarish
Looks nice except that it doesnt have a swivel screen. Oh why sharp why.
http://www.pocketables.net/2009/08/sharp-i...ith-ubuntu.html
Another article
Netwalker
tovarish
Snappy
Also on Engadget ...

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/27/sharps-...-zaurus-legacy/

I like the 5" screen and Ubuntu! biggrin.gif

EDIT: No 3g ... at this size, I really do not want to plug in an USB stick for mobile broadband.

EDIT: MicroSDHC ... ?? Why no SDHC? Non-removable batt??
InSearchOf
*3 Topics Merged*

Late
Meyer
This is an answer to prayer!
Snappy
Did you hear something? What's that? 10 hours you say? *SWEET* ... biggrin.gif

EDIT: Man, I hate those THICK bezels ... what's wrong with SHARP?
InSearchOf
QUOTE(Snappy @ Aug 27 2009, 12:11 PM) *
EDIT: Man, I hate those THICK bezels ... what's wrong with SHARP?

This is exactly why I didnt purchase the early models of the Asus eeePc

Late
speculatrix

I'm not too worried about microSDHC slot, it is the way of the future, even though SDHC is cheaper and widely available in huge capacities.

it's good as it shows potential but is too lacking, but where's the
* CF expansion slot - it was the making of the Z - OR, at least more USB - OR a miniPCI slot?
* why no 802.11N - maybe wifi is a miniPCIe?
* sufficient RAM - 512MB is not so bad but not really enough. hopefully it's an SODIMM?
* bluetooth (someone already pointed its lack)
* 3G as an option - or wimax - or something - see above for miniPCIe?
* 1-Seg or other digital TV tuner that might be reprogrammable for other purposes
* FM radio?

I'll think I'd wait for the revamp and up-spec model with better display etc.
amrein
Well, I won't buy this new Sharp device. Why? Because of this amazing device:

Nokia N900 - new Maemo 5 Linux device with complete phone stack

Do we really need more from a smartphone?
ArchiMark
QUOTE(amrein @ Aug 27 2009, 01:27 PM) *

Nice, but N900 has smaller display than N810....only 3.5 inches with low res 800x480...

Think for my ol' eyes the new Sharp's 5" display 1024x600 will be better...but that's just me....

Main concern for me about new Sharp is what it will take to convert OS from Japanese to English...seems like no one knows yet....and I can't read Japanese.... wink.gif

Zuse
Hi speculatrix,

QUOTE(speculatrix @ Aug 27 2009, 10:00 PM) *
I'm not too worried about microSDHC slot, it is the way of the future, even though SDHC is cheaper and widely available in huge capacities.

it's good as it shows potential but is too lacking, but where's the
* CF expansion slot - it was the making of the Z - OR, at least more USB - OR a miniPCI slot?

lets face it, I think CF is going to die ... painfull for me since I own some CF gadgets but thats the way
* why no 802.11N - maybe wifi is a miniPCIe?

I agree if you like to use the extend range of N draft. Speed is not a problem for daily use. Copy a few MB over G or N based wireless makes not much a difference. However I would much more likely see a NIC
* sufficient RAM - 512MB is not so bad but not really enough. hopefully it's an SODIMM?

Uhhh taking the form factor into account, the rather fact that they had to design some arm based think from scratch (nothing out of the shelf with many optional plugs to customize it to your needs) and the cost cutting consumer market I would not bet on that
* bluetooth (someone already pointed its lack)

Yes that just stupid bluetooth circuits got so small today. I bet there would be plenty space at the display side to fiddle one of those circuits inside
* 3G as an option - or wimax - or something - see above for miniPCIe?
* 1-Seg or other digital TV tuner that might be reprogrammable for other purposes
* FM radio?

I guess for that you have to see the Japanese market more clearly. Its amazing, where Europe still try to come up with expensive 3G service for executive business people, Japanese teenager are used to serve the net on there mobile phones where ever there are since long time already.
3-4 mobile phone companies are hardly fighting for each customer. However, unlike in Europe every company pops up with a own set of mobile phones. You are not going to by Nokia or Samsung or HTC but Docomo, Softbank or Emobile. Phones are OEM products produced for the individual companies. Some global players like HTC produce the same devices for Europe and rebrand them for the Japanese market but many other are really just produced for a single carrier in Japan.
Thus, as mobile Internet hit the market all companies merged it within there portfolio including there mobile phones... If you like to have 3G you likely will extend your mobile phone contract. Most of them offer different 3G USB sticks or other hardware for really heavy discounts.
I think sharp just decided not jump into that crazy war and does not include 3G since they expect that most Japanese customer have some form of 3G already and they like to save the cost on there own product
TV & Radio is the same ... most new generation Japanese mobile phones play TV already. Maybe Sharp is targeting another audience. Beside, Japanese TV and Radio System differs completely from the rest of the world. You would not have fun with an import device in Europe.
They state... ebook and dictionary would be key the features.
However, I still can see some usage as a dictionary but I heavily deny the idea of usage the device as an ebook reader

Greetings

Zuse
Zuse
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Aug 28 2009, 05:32 AM) *
QUOTE(amrein @ Aug 27 2009, 01:27 PM) *

Nice, but N900 has smaller display than N810....only 3.5 inches with low res 800x480...

Think for my ol' eyes the new Sharp's 5" display 1024x600 will be better...but that's just me....

Main concern for me about new Sharp is what it will take to convert OS from Japanese to English...seems like no one knows yet....and I can't read Japanese.... wink.gif

Thats a minor issue, the keyboard is usable like the zaurus one.... the OS is ubuntu... there are localizations for many languages....
... long live free and open source software .... laugh.gif

Greetings

Zuse
sds
I suspect this device is a no-go for both the US and the European markets.
- large, not pocketable whatsoever
- no wireless capability (2.5/3G) and no easy way to add one
- keyboard too small for touch typing, too large for thumb typing
- screen undersized, again
- no pivot for ebook reading/multimedia

This old "I am a dictionary, but I might possibly fit other purposes, too" concept would have stand a chance only if there were no advanced open Android and Maemo platforms/devices in the meantime.

As it is now -- thanks, I'll pass.
cortez
I suggest a group buy, like we did before (long ago) at conics.net! rolleyes.gif
zmiq2
Uhm... this post seems to be a hot one for these times ...

I also think there are some showstoppers:

- no integrated 3.5G
- screen bezel too big, why not make screen go to the maximum height/width ?

And, regarding the N900, I also think the screen is too small.

So, I'm waiting for next week archos announcement of a 5'' android tablet, let's see ....
tovarish
I have an HTC Advantage 7501 which has a 5 inch screen, HSDPA, bluetooth, wifi etc. The only problems are that the keyboard is lousy and the OS is windows mobile. Now i know that Japan doesnt make the same 3g devices that can run in europe (or usa) but atleast bluetooth could have solved the problem.
The UMID M1 seems to be a competitor but with a different architecture.

tovarish
TheWalt
I'm personally between the Umid M1, Nokia N900, and Sharp PC-Z1 also.

They all have features I'd like, but still no one clear 'winner'. Waiting on more hands on reviews, and of course price may decide for me. Right now, for a 'pocket' device, the N900 is looking good ... but the draw of a smaller ubuntu machine makes me think twice.

I currently still shuffle between a EEEPC 900HA, Nokia N810, and *cough* Ipod Touch *cough*. My Z has been shelved for about a year sad.gif
Snappy
Dang! Beat me to the N900 news! wink.gif

Between the SHARP device and Nokia N900, I would go for the N900.

1. 3g mobile broadband
2. It's a phone! It means I can use it to replace my phone and my Z. It can possibly my netbook (?) as well?
3. SHARP dumped customers before with the earlier SHARP wizard organisers, then the Zaurus. Why wouldn't they just dump this new thingie the moment sales go south?

If Nokia n9x0 uses a 4" or 4.5" or 5" screen, it would be even better!! But for now, it still wins my vote! smile.gif

EDIT: At USD$750 ... I have to reconsider my choice on the N900. tongue.gif
speculatrix
LFD report the PC-Zaurus1, er, PC-Z1, will be US$480
http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Sh...-Internet-Tool/

that's quite a bit cheaper than US$700 for the n900, but of course you'd then have to have a separate phone.

aside...

hmm, interesting, someone's already trying to create a new community around the n900:
http://www.nokian900.com/
ArchiMark
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Aug 30 2009, 02:38 PM) *
LFD report the PC-Zaurus1, er, PC-Z1, will be US$480
http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Sh...-Internet-Tool/

[Snip...]

FYI, the price quoted is for purchase in Japan...

So, exporters like Conics or Dynamism have to purchase it and then mark it up, the price outside of Japan, will be higher...

spaul
Anyone remember the website in Japan that would ship z's and presumably the new z1 and other jap goods for 10 percent more than the cheapest price in Japan. I bought my z860 from them after a rec on this board years ago and even had a good experience when I needed to send it back to Japan for repair.

Wish I could upgrade my middle aged memory. Thx
ArchiMark
QUOTE(spaul @ Sep 3 2009, 05:02 PM) *
Anyone remember the website in Japan that would ship z's and presumably the new z1 and other jap goods for 10 percent more than the cheapest price in Japan. I bought my z860 from them after a rec on this board years ago and even had a good experience when I needed to send it back to Japan for repair.

Wish I could upgrade my middle aged memory. Thx

Yes, think you're referring to PriceJapan.com......

wink.gif
dougeeebear
I had good luck with conics.net
spaul
Thats it, Pricejapan, thanks AM
Ling
At $568 I don't think they'll sell many. Not when netbooks are going for $199. I don't think a group buy will get it within reason. The $480 listed in the press release is ridiculous. I wish Sharp could pull their heads out of their arses. I won't repeat what others have already said. Suffice it to say this is disappointing.
fpp
Unfortunately the first reviews are really bad... keyboard, trackpad, screen density seem to be subpar for a regular Ubuntu desktop experience...
ArchiMark
QUOTE(fpp @ Sep 6 2009, 10:37 AM) *
Unfortunately the first reviews are really bad... keyboard, trackpad, screen density seem to be subpar for a regular Ubuntu desktop experience...

Where are you seeing those reviews, fpp??

Meanwhile, Conics has verified with Sharp that you can easily convert OS from Japanese to English....

smile.gif
apink
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Sep 16 2009, 04:48 PM) *

There is a review (Part 1 of ?) on http://innovatingtouch.com/, as well as a forum.

ArchiMark
QUOTE(apink @ Sep 16 2009, 05:30 PM) *
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Sep 16 2009, 04:48 PM) *

There is a review (Part 1 of ?) on http://innovatingtouch.com/, as well as a forum.

That website is about the Always Innovating Touch Book, right?

Thought we've been discussing the new Sharp NetWalker????

blink.gif
fpp
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Sep 16 2009, 03:48 PM) *
QUOTE(fpp @ Sep 6 2009, 10:37 AM) *

Well, I didn't put in a link right away because the only factual and detailed review I've seen to date is in French.

All I've found in English are vague Engadget-style blog posts with opinions based on pictures.

But this is from an actual hands-on session during IFA, done by a *very* reputable French site, whose buying advice and testing methodology have gained quite a following here over the years.

These guys, just like us, really wanted to *like* that widget beforehand, so it troubles me to see them come away so disappointed, and with precise arguments to back up that impression.

One can always hope the demo item was a preproduction model, and that some of the cons may be corrected before general availability... but this is probably not something I'd buy without having actually seen it beforehand, which makes it an iffy proposition if it stays "Japan-only" in the great Sharp tradition.

Here is the link, for those who read French or want to try and Babelfish it :
http://www.lesnumeriques.com/news_id-10669.html

Meanwhile, Conics has verified with Sharp that you can easily convert OS from Japanese to English....

Always good news, of course, although I'd have been really surprised (and outraged :-) if it hadn't been the case...
fpp
A somewhat more balanced review, in good English this time, which praises the hardware but still highlights somme immature aspects of the software :

http://www.pocketables.net/2009/09/unboxin...alker-pcz1.html
http://www.pocketables.net/2009/09/first-i...alker-pcz1.html
ArchiMark
FYI, today, I received my Netwalker (Black) from a fellow Zauruster...

So far, I'm quite pleased with the Netwalker and find it to be better than I had expected given the reviews...

Very nice piece of hardware, has the Sharp build quality that we Zauruster's like and if you compare it to a clamshell Zaurus then I think it compares quite favorably; built-in WiFi, fullsize standard USB port, bit larger than Zaurus so, easier to read display and larger keys (yes, they rock, but it's OK...you get used to it...), and yet it fits comfortably in the inside coat pocket of my jacket...so, very light and portable....

WiFi worked great right away and so did my Apple USB ethernet adapter....

Also, think it's great to have an OS like Ubuntu instead of Qtopia and hopefully, there will be OS updates periodically....

All in all, think this is definitely a worthy successor to the Zaurus...

Think it would be great to see more interest in it around here....

Meanwhile, I'm trying to connect with anyone who has taken the plunge and bought a Netwalker so that we can share experiences and info..will make a separate post on the forum about this....have connected with someone in Germany and France so far and hope to find other Netwalkeristas..... smile.gif

Thought of calling our group, NUTS, for Netwalker User Testing Society, as you probably need to be a bit nuts to get one, but what the heck....

wink.gif
speculatrix
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Dec 17 2009, 04:13 AM) *
So far, I'm quite pleased with the Netwalker and find it to be better than I had expected given the reviews...

thanks for posting. is quite interesting.. I am wondering what to replace my stolen C3100 with, and there is so much choice at the moment; I've strongly considered the nokia n900 but it's too small, and the Z1 is a better size for how I use a mobile device.
ArchiMark
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Dec 17 2009, 04:59 AM) *
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Dec 17 2009, 04:13 AM) *

thanks for posting. is quite interesting.. I am wondering what to replace my stolen C3100 with, and there is so much choice at the moment; I've strongly considered the nokia n900 but it's too small, and the Z1 is a better size for how I use a mobile device.

You're welcome....I agree about N900, nice, but too small for my ol' eyes, I find the Z1 to be just right size, display is sharp and readable, easy to read webpages, etc...
scottlfa
Picked up a N900 for $425 US, mint. Love the device, keyboard blows compared to the Zaurus or the Universal I was using but one makes compromises. The 3G always connected option for a linux terminal is awesome. I love the UI and for the most part I feel I am already familiar with the OS, as its a derivative of debian. Screen size isn't a huge issue in a phone/ mid for me, if I want horsepower and a 4.5" screen the Sony UX280 I have is more than capable. Just grab it out of the bad I take to work, but for breaks and quick jaunts onto the net etc ... the N900's been a winner for me.

I left the Z due to its lack of true connectivity without wifi hotspots and in the end lack luster playback of various media when compared to my universal. I left the Universal because of the slow G speed I am locked too in the US.

Just my 2 cents.
ArchiMark
FWIW, I got a N900 recently and even though I was afraid display would be too small, it's actually quite good and usable since it's very sharp...

All in all I am very pleased with N900 and it fits in my shirt pocket....

Have installed EasyDebian on it too...so can run debian apps or maemo apps....

Nice!

biggrin.gif
RX Shorty
Ahh yes, I am waiting for the N9, but getting my Netwalker this week smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.