Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kismet on the 6000
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Model Specific Forums > 6000 - Tosa
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Chimpsky
I followed the howto, but now I have a new problem: When I try to start kismet from the terminal I get a fatal error: Source 0 (prism2source): Pcap support was not compiled in.
I have a sl-6000L with the original rom installed, using the internal wireless. I have gone through the process a few times (uninstall and reinstall etc.) but this error is persistent. I assume this error is a result of the pcap ipk should I try a different version?

I appreciate your help
Tehas
Kismet is hit or miss on my box sometimes it finds stuff and other times it does not. The other day I was running it on my 6000 & my 5600 on the way to work. The 5600 found 20+ networks and the 6000 found 1. The 6000 didn't even report finding the 5600.
soundwave106
I wonder if there's a way to increase the SL-6000L's antenna strength? I've noticed its personally not the strongest around...
rmako
I wonder if there's a way to increase the SL-6000L's antenna strength? I've noticed its personally not the strongest around...

Problem is that it is an internal antenna. Works fine around the house but not the best for long range.

I know there are a few folks who have taken their 6000s apart. Any ideas for a better antenna setup?

Bob Makowsky

bump+
celtron
Sure thing! However, bearing in mind the chassis-fit and portability of the device on the Z6K, it wouldn't look too pretty but definitely a signal-puller monster once you have this setup like what David did :
http://www.biancorama.com/zaurus-sec/zauru...enna_howto.html

I've ordered my set and got the same 12dBi Yagi but didn't realize that it was so HUGE! Also remember to get a second battery pack as wi-fi sucks up lotsa juice!

Have fun!
/celtron

QUOTE(rmako @ Jan 12 2005, 06:43 PM)

Problem is that it is an internal antenna. Works fine around the house but not the best for long range.

I know there are a few folks who have taken their 6000s apart. Any ideas for a better antenna setup?

Bob Makowsky

bump+

range
I have not tried kismet yet, but intend to shortly.

Some people have complained that, over time, kismet
will cause the 6000 to freeze. I saw a note saying
one should run "kismet -n" to prevent large log files.
I wonder if it is the case that those people who had
thier 6000 freeze did not do this, and thus the log
file got too big, causing the 6000 to freeze.
If the log file is created in the flash memory area
this seems like this could be the problem.

just a thought
inode0
I write the log files to the SD card and have not had any freezes since moving them there.

John
eji
Really odd. All the kismet .ipks are giving me hassle when installing.

I get the messgae ".ipk says something went wrong. Sorry." when trying to install lipcap.7.2, kismet-qt and kismet 3.0.1c. to any media, interal or external. And I know it's not a bug with Add/Remove because I've installed other apps before and after.

What gives? Anyone else having this same trouble?
eji
QUOTE(eji @ Jan 21 2005, 10:04 PM)
Really odd. All the kismet .ipks are giving me hassle when installing.

I never did figure out why the .ipks weren't installing. I just tapped on them repeatedly from both network feeds and the Install Files folder and after a while they suddenly installed. Forget skill and know-how. What it takes is persistence.

I had to edit the .conf file in BBEdit (copy, edit, paste, delete, rename) but now Kismet is working like it should. Found my internet sharing address on my iBook.

Thanks, everyone, for figuring all this out so all I had to do was follow directions and wrestle with my own ignorance.

One remaining question, though: Does Kismet automatically join the networks it finds, or does the user have to do that manually through the Network app?
Tehas
Kismet only scans. There was a package someone put toghether called SLAPASS Simple Linux Access Port Associator the I think was designed to scan and then associate with a network. I tried it on my 5600 but never got it working. Have not tried it on my 6000.
mez_Vipul
I was able to get kismet running on the Z6K, thanks to the tutorial, but I am having the same problem as some of the other people here in that the Zaurus freezes once you close it.

Did anybody find a solution to this problem yet ?

QUOTE(nilch @ Dec 20 2004, 09:44 PM)
QUOTE(DrWily @ Dec 3 2004, 01:38 PM)
Does anyone else's Zaurus lock up after running Kismet for so long?  I have to yank out my battery to reboot it and I can see it getting slower as kismet runs.

I followed the instructions too and now have Kismet running.

But sadly, after finding a few networks, it just freezes up the whole Z.
I have to do a reset - the <Power> <Rec> button and reset switch on the back .

(BTW) how do we do a soft reset on the 6000L ?

I dont know why kismet is hanging up as of yet ...

lek
Hi,
I have a z6kl, and I am trying to find kismet_3.0.1c-20031228_arm.ipk. So far all of the sites that I have been too, which list a link to it, are dry.

Cheers,
lek
scheck.r
enjoy !
lek
QUOTE(scheck.r @ Mar 24 2005, 10:00 PM)
enjoy !

Thanks a lot1
Cheers,
lek
lek
Hi there,
I have been trying to install the kismet_3.0.1c_20031228_arm.ipk on my z6kl, but the install is not sucessful.

The message I am getting when installing is:
ipkg_install_file: ERROR unpacking data.tar.gz from kismet_3.0.1c_20031228_arm.ipk

Thoughts, anyone?

Cheers,
lek
adf
corrupt file? file from OZ? Bad download?
xjqian
the file is identical to my local copy. so should work fine. make sure you are enough space in your internal flash for unpacking.
lek
QUOTE(xjqian @ Mar 25 2005, 11:54 PM)
the file is identical to my local copy. so should work fine. make sure you are enough space in your internal flash for unpacking.

Yep that did it. smile.gif
What a memory hog! I had already remove a number of programs; boy talk about reducing what I have on my Zaurus. Kesmit works fine though.

Cheers,
lek
BarryW
Anybody try the new kismet_2005.01.R1_arm.ipk from kismetwireless? I got it to install but when I try to run it it gives me a bus error...
cvmiller
QUOTE(BarryW @ Apr 6 2005, 10:02 PM)
Anybody try the new kismet_2005.01.R1_arm.ipk from kismetwireless?  I got it to install but when I try to run it it gives me a bus error...

No, I haven't. I was about to thought (thanks for the update). The 2004 version of kismet also gave a bus error, so there is something wrong there.

Craig...
adf
there was a post on uclx compression and bus errors on the 3000 a day or two ago. maybe this is related? I think it said kismet was uclx compressed, but that the issue with bus errors is genrally a lack of decompression space. maybe permanently uncompress the bin?
cvmiller
QUOTE(adf @ May 3 2005, 05:08 PM)
there was a post on uclx compression and bus errors on the 3000 a day or two ago. maybe this is related?  I think it said kismet was uclx compressed, but that the issue with bus errors is genrally a lack of decompression space.  maybe permanently uncompress the bin?

Thanks for the tip. That did the trick. I uncompressed the kismet binary (and kismet-ui) using uclx -d and now the lastest kismet runs quite well!

Thanks again,

Craig...
ken
QUOTE(cvmiller @ Jun 8 2005, 07:48 AM)
Thanks for the tip. That did the trick. I uncompressed the kismet binary (and kismet-ui) using uclx -d and now the lastest kismet runs quite well!

what did you use for the "source=" line?

It would seem that there's a number of changes from the 2003 version to the 2005 version of kismet, and "prism2, wlan0, prism2source" no longer is valid.

I'm not sure if it's correct or not, but I'm using

"wlanng,wlan0,prism2source" which seems to work.
cvmiller
QUOTE(ken @ Jun 8 2005, 01:14 PM)
QUOTE(cvmiller @ Jun 8 2005, 07:48 AM)

what did you use for the "source=" line?

It would seem that there's a number of changes from the 2003 version to the 2005 version of kismet, and "prism2, wlan0, prism2source" no longer is valid.

I'm not sure if it's correct or not, but I'm using

"wlanng,wlan0,prism2source" which seems to work.

Yes, there are changes, as I also discoverd that prism2 was no longer a valid choice. I am also using "wlanng, wlan0, sniffer" for my source. (the last field, sniffer, can be any string). With this setting Kismet successfully detects my AP at home, and it caught a couple of Network probe frames (from a nearby PC) at work.

I hope this helps,

Craig...
ken
ok, that takes care of one aspect. I've been trying to do it all from the console, and haven't gotten very far yet.

The first part of the problem is to get the interface up. I've discovered that I can do a:

usbctl on 1

and that'll turn it on. I'm still trying to get it to go in "mode monitor" that I keep reading about. No luck so far.
cvmiller
QUOTE(ken @ Jun 9 2005, 04:02 PM)
ok, that takes care of one aspect.  I've been trying to do it all from the console, and haven't gotten very far yet.

The first part of the problem is to get the interface up.  I've discovered that I can do a:

usbctl on 1

and that'll turn it on.  I'm still trying to get it to go in "mode monitor" that I keep reading about.  No luck so far.

Yes, doing it all from the console is a little trickier than the GUI, but it can still be done. BTW, I have a AdHoc network setup in my Zaurus (GUI) that I just fire up before running Kismet and that works pretty well. However if you want to do it all from the console you need to do a bit more typing:
usbctl on 1
sleep 1
wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_ifstate ifstate=enable
ifconfig wlan0 1.1.1.1 up

Then start kismet. After you are done with Kismet, turning off the interface is a bit easier:
usbctl off 1

I have run Kismet this way, while accessing my Zaurus via ethernet (a CF card) and it works fine, just not as portable ;-)

I hope this helps,

Craig...
ken
QUOTE(cvmiller @ Jun 10 2005, 01:36 AM)
usbctl on 1
sleep 1

wow. I don't think I'd ever guess the rest of it! That seems to take care of the interface.

I noticed if I left in the "cisco,gps" part in logtypes that it'd complain about cisco things, so I took that out. It works great in the kismet GUI, just have to play more to get the kismet console part going. Something about "Error opening terminal: vt100" - which I think is because it's trying to open that kind of session in my bash shell. It's getting close!

Thanks for the hints thus far.
cvmiller
QUOTE(ken @ Jun 10 2005, 08:49 AM)
It works great in the kismet GUI, just have to play more to get the kismet console part going.  Something about "Error opening terminal: vt100" - which I think is because it's trying to open that kind of session in my bash shell.  It's getting close!

Thanks for the hints thus far.

Ken,

Hmm, are you starting this as root? Here's a script I have that I use to start kismet, called, not surprizingly start_kismet (in /usr/local/bin)
CODE
#!/bin/sh

export TERMINFO=/usr/share/terminfo
export TERM=linux

kismet_hopper &
sleep 2
kismet

I have been using this script for previous versions of Kismet (which is where I got the kismet_hopper part). I just added the TERM info with this version. I am using qkonsole for my terminal program, and I'll warn you that the lines drawn on the terminal (to separate the areas of the UI) don't look like lines, but I hadn't bothered me enough to seek a solution.

I suppose if you wanted you could add all the bring the interface up, and then shut it down afterwards in this script as well, just never needed to (since I use the GUI to bring up my AdHoc interface config).

I hope this helps,

Craig...
ken
QUOTE(cvmiller @ Jun 11 2005, 02:54 AM)
Hmm, are you starting this as root? Here's a script I have that I use to start kismet, called, not surprizingly start_kismet (in /usr/local/bin)
[code]
#!/bin/sh

export TERMINFO=/usr/share/terminfo
export TERM=linux

ahhhhhh! It was complaining of having to use vt100. ok, that certainly explains it then. I had looked at the TERM and it was showing vt100, so I was thinking, what did I do wrong, it has the vt100 that it's complaining about, why is it complaing that it doesn't have that. I hadn't known that it did NOT want vt100.

That solves it! Much appreciate - kismet comes right up now.
cvmiller
QUOTE(ken @ Jun 11 2005, 09:34 AM)
ahhhhhh!  It was complaining of having to use vt100.  ok, that certainly explains it then.  I had looked at the TERM and it was showing vt100, so I was thinking, what did I do wrong, it has the vt100 that it's complaining about, why is it complaing that it doesn't have that.  I hadn't known that it did NOT want vt100.

That solves it!  Much appreciate - kismet comes right up now.

Ken,

Glad to hear you are having success. Actually if you _want_ to use vt100 you can, just change 'linux' to 'vt100' in my script. I think the real complain was that it didn't know where to get the terminfo. I changed mine to vt100 just to see if it would fix the "line drawing" problem, and it didn't. But Kismet works. I switched it back to 'linux' because I like the color output (vt100 was only b&w).

Let me know if you get sound working (I lack /usr/bin/play).

Happy sniffing,

Craig...
pelendur
QUOTE(cvmiller @ Jun 12 2005, 04:23 AM)
Glad to hear you are having success. Actually if you _want_ to use vt100 you can, just change 'linux' to 'vt100' in my script. I think the real complain was that it didn't know where to get the terminfo. I changed mine to vt100 just to see if it would fix the "line drawing" problem, and it didn't. But Kismet works. I switched it back to 'linux' because I like the color output (vt100 was only b&w).

Let me know if you get sound working (I lack /usr/bin/play).

Happy sniffing,

Craig...

The line drawing problem can be easily fixed by changing the simpleborders option in kismet_ui.conf to true, i.e. simpleborders=true. As for sound, the kismet_3.0.1c-20031228_arm.ipk mentioned earlier in this thread has /usr/bin/play and the various required sound files. You should be able to extract those files from the ipk. Hope this helps.

Patrick
ken
This is great! For the longest time, we were forced to use the 2003 version of kismet. Now the 6K can use the latest version of kismet, and all of the issues one by one are falling away.

I looked in the 2003 kismet, and indeed play, the sound files and a number of other things were there.
cvmiller
QUOTE(ken @ Jun 12 2005, 09:35 AM)
I looked in the 2003 kismet, and indeed play, the sound files and a number of other things were there.

It took a while, but I finally found some time to tease apart the older Kismet ipk (v 3.01) and you are right the sound player (play and sox) and wav files are there.

I created a new tar file of just the files I wanted on my linux laptop, and untarred them onto the Zaurus, and now Kismet has sound again!

Thanks to all for your help in getting this very useful utility running again on the Zaurus!

Craig...
BarryW
Just to let you guys know there is a newer version at the kismet web site. Oh, one quick question, how the hell do you turn off e-mail notifications??
anmol10
Thanks all for testing out the latest version of Kismet. I'm still using the 2003 version.

Just wondering if the latest version still had the problem of Kismet (console) hanging after an hour or so. On my SL 6000s, Kismet tends to hang after an hour or so of scanning for networks. (I'm using Kismet to scan wifi networks and obtain an approximate idea of my location, so I need it running hours at a time).

Any ideas if Wellenrieter would be a better solution?

-A
cvmiller
QUOTE(anmol10 @ Jun 28 2005, 09:47 AM)
Thanks all for testing out the latest version of Kismet. I'm still using the 2003 version.

Just wondering if the latest version still had the problem of Kismet (console) hanging after an hour or so. On my SL 6000s, Kismet tends to hang after an hour or so of scanning for networks. (I'm using Kismet to scan wifi networks and obtain an approximate idea of my location, so I need it running hours at a time).

Any ideas if Wellenrieter would be a better solution?

-A

If you read the change file in the latest Kismet, it sounds like this problem might be solved in the most recent release.

Craig...
anmol10
Arrgh! I've spent the last few days seeking a reliable wireless network scanner which can run on the Zaurii for hours on end (I can arrange an external battery). I'm trying to build software which can approximate my location (kinda rough indoor GPS) based on wifi access points, similar to the IBM placelab project.

- Kismet 2003
Installs cleanly, but freezes up after an hour or so. It seemed like kismet_client would die after a while, so I wrote a shell script which invoked kismet_server for 100 seconds (after network configuration), kill it, and then sleep for 2 minutes. The system freezes up after a few tries (5-7).

- Kismet 2005
Installs cleanly, thanks to Craig and Ken's instructions. Same problem though, freezes up even faster (10-15 minutes). I looked at the changelog, but wasn't sure what is exactly causing the freezeups.

- Wellenreiter II
Installs cleanly, doesn't freeze up, but scanning slows down after 5-6 minutes, ultimately coming to a halt

- iwlist wlan0 scan
This should give me a list of available networks, which is basically what I care about. However, the iwlist scan command is apparently not implemented in the SL6000 iwtools package

For all these, I'm storing my log files on a 256 MB CF card, so it isn't running out of disk space. I've been using two SL6000s with the Sharp ROM, so its not about a particular Zaurus. I'm in an area where I can see atleast 15 access points and several networks. Kismet 2005 with the same configuration (except source=) works fine on my Knoppix laptop for hours on end.

AFAIK, there are only two possible causes. Either the Zaurus/Kismet combination is running out of memory, or the network card is put into a bad state. I'm not sure what to try next to diagnose and fix the problem. Probably something to check how much memory is being used.

If someone here has Kismet / Wellenreiter working for hours on end without dying out, I would love to know how.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm looking for any ideas.

Thanks,
-Anmol
ken
QUOTE(anmol10 @ Jul 7 2005, 12:20 PM)
For all these, I'm storing my log files on a 256 MB CF card, so it isn't running out of disk space.

probably running out of space. try this. do a terminal session and then type:

df -h

check how much space is on /home
anmol10
QUOTE(ken @ Jul 8 2005, 02:36 AM)
probably running out of space.  try this. do a terminal session and then type:

df -h

Alright, fixed it! I basically ended up doing the following,

- Followed Craig's instructions (usbctl, wlanctl-ng) after every run to shutdown the wireless card
- Used a C application instead of a bash script

The error seemed to be from the driver. I was running 'free' and 'df' in my bash script, and watching out for substantially low memory or disk space.

So now I have a Zaurus application(KismetManager) that continiously scans for 802.11 access points and bluetooth devices in proximity. It fires up every 60 seconds, scans, stores networks and BTids into a log file and goes back to sleep. Its going to be part of a larger application that maps these to a BuddyList and known locations, and also records my speech and motion when interesting events occur. If only I had a SL6000 expansion sleeve, I could also take images at the 'interesting' moments. Its been running for the last 5 hours straight ;-)

Cool, thanks a lot guys. All of this stuff is open source, and although we don't have a stable release yet, I can post links to our CVS.

-Anmol
eji
Can anyone post the instructions in this thread? The ZUG site has been down for a few days since getting hacked, and the Kismet step-by-step has gone with it.
ken
QUOTE(eji @ Jul 29 2005, 10:27 AM)
Can anyone post the instructions in this thread? The ZUG site has been down for a few days since getting hacked, and the Kismet step-by-step has gone with it.

http://www.oesf.org/index.php?title=How_to...on_the_SL-6000L
callas11
QUOTE(cvmiller @ Jun 10 2005, 11:36 AM)
QUOTE(ken @ Jun 9 2005, 04:02 PM)
ok, that takes care of one aspect.  I've been trying to do it all from the console, and haven't gotten very far yet.

The first part of the problem is to get the interface up.  I've discovered that I can do a:

usbctl on 1

and that'll turn it on.  I'm still trying to get it to go in "mode monitor" that I keep reading about.  No luck so far.

Yes, doing it all from the console is a little trickier than the GUI, but it can still be done. BTW, I have a AdHoc network setup in my Zaurus (GUI) that I just fire up before running Kismet and that works pretty well. However if you want to do it all from the console you need to do a bit more typing:
usbctl on 1
sleep 1

Then start kismet. After you are done with Kismet, turning off the interface is a bit easier:
usbctl off 1

I have run Kismet this way, while accessing my Zaurus via ethernet (a CF card) and it works fine, just not as portable ;-)

I hope this helps,

Craig...

Hi Craig, et al

when i start that way all is fine until i start kismet. it reports the error:

could not connect to localhost:2501 and exits.

Any hints?

Peter
xjqian
can somebody update the howto to reflect the latest kismet (2005?) on 6000

I downloaded Kismet_2005-01-R1-1 from cacko feed, however it complains about
error while loading shared libraries:; libpcap.so.1: cannot load shared object file: No such file or directory

I installed libpcap0_0.7.2_arm.ipk, but that does not contain libpcap.so.1

besides, Kismet from the cacko feed is not uclx compressed.

I guess I'm not using the correct kismet ipk. Somebody can point me to the right place to download?
cvmiller
QUOTE(xjqian @ Aug 26 2005, 07:15 PM)
can somebody update the howto to reflect the latest kismet (2005?) on 6000

I downloaded Kismet_2005-01-R1-1 from cacko feed, however it complains about
error while loading shared libraries:; libpcap.so.1: cannot load shared object file: No such file or directory

I installed libpcap0_0.7.2_arm.ipk, but that does not contain libpcap.so.1

besides, Kismet from the cacko feed is not uclx compressed.

I guess I'm not using the correct kismet ipk. Somebody can point me to the right place to download?

Hmm, I suppose you are right that the how-to needs updating. I am surprised that your kismet is complaining about libpcap.so.1, I am running kismet_2005.04.R1_arm.ipk and I am not getting those complaints.

I am pretty sure you can just create a symlink to /usr/lib/libpcap.so.0.7.2 and it should work. As long as kismet is not uclx compressed, you should be good to go.

I hope this helps,

Craig...
cvmiller
QUOTE(callas11 @ Aug 26 2005, 02:47 AM)
Hi Craig, et al

when i start that way all is fine until i start kismet. it reports the error:

could not connect to localhost:2501 and exits.

Any hints?

Peter

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. Kismet runs as a client and server app. The server runs in background on localhost port 2500.

This error means that the kismet server didn't start up for some reason. If you are running this in a terminal, check further up in the messages to see why the server didn't start (did you edit the kistmet.conf file?).

Have you ever had kismet running on this Z? You will want a line that looks like this on your kismet.conf file:
source=wlanng,wlan0,sniff

I hope this helps,

Craig...
BarryW
Hey quick question, with the newest version it says the terminal app doesn't support color. Since I know it does, how can I get it back. An all green kismet isn't near as cool to look at as one with red and blue.
xjqian
QUOTE(cvmiller @ Aug 29 2005, 09:33 PM)
Hmm, I suppose you are right that the how-to needs updating. I am surprised that your kismet is complaining about libpcap.so.1, I am running kismet_2005.04.R1_arm.ipk and I am not getting those complaints.

I am pretty sure you can just create a symlink to /usr/lib/libpcap.so.0.7.2 and it should work. As long as kismet is not uclx compressed, you should be good to go.

I hope this helps,

Craig...

Could you post kismet_2005.04.R1_arm.ipk? I googled but can't find anywhere on the web. TIA
Bane
Does anyone has a package with a working configuration file for the SL-6000L? I have not remotely had any luck with any of the posted instructions?

Older packages install and run but I cant seem to get the config files tweaked quite right. New Packages seg fault for some reason.
cvmiller
QUOTE(Bane @ Oct 3 2005, 01:46 AM)
Does anyone has a package with a working configuration file for the SL-6000L? I have not remotely had any luck with any of the posted instructions?

Older packages install and run but I cant seem to get the config files tweaked quite right. New Packages seg fault for some reason.

Bane,

I have been meaning to update the how-to for some time. The basic problem is that the new binaries (packaged in the Kismet supplied ipk) are compressed with uclx. After installing kismet, you need to decrompress with the command uclx -d <kismet_binary>.

The rest of the instructions should be correct.

You can get the uclx binary from: http://inter.zon.free.fr/zaurus_index.html

I hope this helps,

Craig...
BarryW
Anybody get a gps to work with kismet? I have the latest and greatest kismet working. I have qpegps working with my pharos cf gps. I can start the gps in the command line and cat the info from /dev/ttyS3. For some reason I can't get kismet to use the gps data. It keeps saying no signal. Any hints would be appreciated.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.