Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kismet on the 6000
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Model Specific Forums > 6000 - Tosa
Pages: 1, 2, 3
thomasbernie
I'm buying for the first one to figure out how to make Kismet play. Everything installs OK and seems to be in the right place, but no receive. I wonder how far off OZ is?
cvmiller
I'm buying for the first one to figure out how to make Kismet play.  Everything installs OK and seems to be in the right place, but no receive.  I wonder how far off OZ is?

On the SL-6000 it may be a ways away. I have tried 3 different versions of Kismet (2.4.6, 2.81, and kismet-2004-04-R1-arm). I have had no sucess detecting any networks. The most recent version kismet-2004-04-R1-arm just dumps (like a core dump).

Given that the SL-6000 has a newer wireless card, someone smarter than me will have to show us how..

Craig...
thomasbernie
Craig,

I have tried all versions too. 3.0.1 that I have on my laptop, gives me a bus fault. 2.8.1 is installed, the server works, -qt seems ok -- it just does not hear anything. There must be a Linux guru that can figure out how the card gets recognized.

Good Luck
jerbell
what chip set does it use?
cvmiller
what chip set does it use?

I think you are asking what 802.11b chipset? I have my Kismet set to Prism2.

I even put in my old D-Link CF card (from my SL-5500, where Kismet works) and I can't get it to work with that card either.

Thanks,

Craig...
jerbell
I am having the same problems getting kismet to work on a 5600 with prism2. Kismet works fine with the same wireless card on a lap top running Knoppix, so I suppose the older kismet wont work with prism2 on a newer kernel (then what the 5500 had), while the latest kismet wont work with the reletively old kernel the 5600 has.

I ordered one of the last two 6000's amazon had in stock last week, now they have sent me an email saying its not even released yet!. I would love to run kismet on the 6000 so I hope someone figures it out by the time I get one.
rospahr
a solution found here:
http://www.oesf.org/index.php?title=How_to...on_the_SL-6000L

I have just installed Kismet on my 6000L

Thanks!
tz
Are you running it on the 6000L with the internal (USB) prism2 device? Or do you have a CF wireless card?
duffman
I have it running on my 6000L with the built-in prism2 card. It's a little flakey I guess since I can't seem to issue any commands to it via the keyboard. But it definately scans and picks up networks.
lwong
The link for the libpcap0_0.7.2_arm.ipk doesn't work! I tried both the versions from Killfez.de and Zaurusgroup but they all gave me an error.

Help!

FW
duffman
The link for the libpcap0_0.7.2_arm.ipk doesn't work! I tried both the versions from Killfez.de and Zaurusgroup but they all gave me an error.

Help!

FW

Exactly what error? Just one of those ambigous "there has been an error"?

If so, try running ipkg from the command line, do this by typing `ipkg install libpcap0_0.7.2_arm.ipk`. That more often than not will give you a more descriptive error. Also, you may have the problem I had where it's a .ipk file and Opera will download it but put a .tar on the end.
thomasbernie
Followed the instructions. Works. Yea!!

Thanks
lwong
My 6000L just went out of battery after playing around so much :-( I will try it again and post what the error mesage is. BTW, which feed(Killfez or Zaurusuergroup) were you able to use successfully?

Thanks

FW
duffman
Pretty sure I got it from killfez.
cvmiller
There has been quite a bit of discussion about how to get Kismet running on a SL-6000 in another forum. But a How-to was created and I think describes it pretty well:
http://www.zaurususergroup.com/modules.php...0the%20SL-6000L

I hope this helps, I know it did for me.

Craig...
lwong
I followed the guide but the link for the libpcap doesn't work for me.

If I use the libpcap I downloaded from Killefiz I got the following error:

zcat: libpcap0_0.7.2-1_arm.ipk: not in gzip format

zcat: stdin: unexpected end of file
ipkg_install_file: ERROR unpacking control.tar.gza from libpcap0_0.7.2-1arm.ipk

Can some tell me what's wrong?

Thanks

FW
skoorb
the link should work again now. Sorry, I must have erased it by accident
lwong
Thanks forrepairing the link. I THINK kismet work for me now: I don;t have an AP at home, kismet couldn't find anything but at least it's not giving me "cannot connect to server". Maybe I will go to a Starbucks tomorrow and see if I can detect any network.

FW
gnukles
First off, hello. I was really glad to find this site and have seen some great info so far.

I just got a 6000L and am attempting to get Kismet up and running. I have followed all the instructions throughout the site including the 6000L kismet instructions guide and what is on killefiz. I am getting an error when I start kismet: "Can't connect to the server." One thing I have seen is that I don't have the version of libpcap recommended on all the install guides (I can't find an active link to libpcap0_0.7.2_arm.ipk). If anyone has some advice to share I would greatly appreciate it as well as perhaps a copy of libpcap0_0.7.2_arm.ipk.

TIA
skoorb
I guess I deleted it from my site by accident

try

http://members.cox.net/skoorb/libpcap0_0.7.2_arm.ipk
gnukles
thanks for the link skoorb. If anyone out there has had similar problems with "can't connect to server" I would appreciate some guidance on resolving the problem. I have all the right files now but am still getting the error.

Thanks
skoorb
i guess you probably already tried the how to for this here

angst
QUOTE(gnukles @ Oct 24 2004, 05:13 PM)
If anyone out there has had similar problems with "can't connect to server" I would appreciate some guidance on resolving the problem.  I have all the right files now but am still getting the error.

Thanks

I had this problem after the link to libstdc++ was broken.

From the how-to:
CODE
2) In terminal:
su
Copy libstdc++ to /usr/lib. Make sure the file permissions match the other libraries. Create a link to libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3. (ln -s libstdc++-3-libc6.1-2-2.10.0.so libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3)

But there may be other ways to cause this error.
gnukles
Thanks for all the input. I am still having the same problem. If I run kismet from the term, I get the following error:

3769: Segmentation fault

Any suggestions?

Thanks
LadyBug
What version of Kismet are you trying to install? I never got 3.10 to work, but 3.0.1 worked just fine. Cacko ROM here.
DrWily
I thought we were talking about an SL 6000 here. Maybe I should see if I can get Kismet working on mine since I just got my SD memory in today.
gnukles
I tried 3.1.0 and 3.0.1c w/o success.

All the solutions offered were greatly appreciated, but the problem seemed to be elsewhere. So, backed out the whole install, re-downloaded everything, installed, configured, and it is now working fine.

The conclusion...a corrupted version of kismet was to blame.

What worked for me was as follows:

kismet 3.0.1c
kismet-qt 2
libpcap 0.7.2
libstdc++

Thanks for all the help. Maybe this ordeal will assist another person who has "tried everything"
callas11
Hi, all
I think I have followed the howto but kismet_server tells me:
"no valid packet sourced defined"

kistmet-qt can_t connect to server.

Any hints?

klaus-peter sad.gif
GuruGeek2002
Hello,

I followed the instructions. Received no error or warning messages.

I created the war-walk connection and it works.

While connected to war-walk, I launch kismet via the icon.

It opens to the configure screen. I choose Sharp Prism2 and tap restart.

When the restart is over, it says "Can't connect to server"

I've tried other settings, but they all return the same message. Our entire facility is wired. Could it be a security setting on our wireless? Or did I botch the install some how?

I've also tried connecting via my normal "work" network profile. Then launch kismet. Same thing is returned "Can't connect to server".

Thanks,
Roger
smammon
QUOTE(GuruGeek2002 @ Nov 24 2004, 11:01 AM)
While connected to war-walk, I launch kismet via the icon.

It opens to the configure screen. I choose Sharp Prism2 and tap restart.

When the restart is over, it says "Can't connect to server"

I've tried other settings, but they all return the same message. Our entire facility is wired. Could it be a security setting on our wireless? Or did I botch the install some how?

Two possibilities.

Is your "war-walk" configuration staying up and connected? - I.e. is it in ad-hoc mode? If it is then connect to that and run kismet from the command line and see what it says. Properly configured without a client talking to it - it will run and report an initial snif and then exit.

Otherwise it will most likely tell you exactly whats wrong.
GuruGeek2002
When I choose my war-walk profile and click connect, the green light at the top of my 6000L just blinks. At the bottom of the screen I do have an icon which is green. If I tap it, it asks if I want to disconnect. I go to the terminal and do an ifconfig I get 10.1.0.2 for my inet addr. But the top light never turns to a solid green color. So I'm guessing it's not connecting. Funny thing is, when I run kismet and click on restart, then the light at the top goes to a solid green. But kismet always returns "can't connect to server"...

Here are my settings:

Config
-------
ESS-ID: any
Network Type: 802.11 Ad-Hoc
Channel: 1

WEP
-----
Disabled

TCP/IP
--------
IP Address: 10.1.0.2
Subnet Mask: 255.0.0.0
Gateway: 10.1.0.1

DNS
-----
Primary DNS: 10.1.0.1

Proxy
------
No Proxy
qamed1
angst said:

I had this problem after the link to libstdc++ was broken.
From the how-to:

CODE

2) In terminal:
su
Copy libstdc++ to /usr/lib. Make sure the file permissions match the other libraries. Create a link to libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3. (ln -s libstdc++-3-libc6.1-2-2.10.0.so libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3)

I am new to Linux. I have been working on this topic since last night. Everything is under control except creating a link step. I assume I must first locate libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3. I just can't find the darn thing.
sharppda
I got kismet working by following the instructions exactly at

linklink

as a newbie user, one thing in the instruction I did not follow immediately was
to run the kismet GUI as root, which can be set by tapping the kismet icon longer.

In the config it is also set to be "root". By default it is not set I remember.

I tried to set it to "zaurus" and run but it does not work.

Hope this help
DrWily
Does anyone else's Zaurus lock up after running Kismet for so long? I have to yank out my battery to reboot it and I can see it getting slower as kismet runs.
qamed1
sharppda said;
I got kismet working by following the instructions exactly at.

I am glad you were successful but could you tell me from where you got the .so.3 file from? I need help with the "link" procedure. See my first post.

Thanks.
sharppda
Here it is

file

link is also in the instruction.
qamed1
Ok, let me try again. I already have libstdc++-3-libc6.1-2-2.10.0.so what I am looking for is libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3.
I hope this is now better understood. Thanks again.
angst
QUOTE(qamed1 @ Dec 3 2004, 06:29 PM)
Ok, let me try again. I already have  libstdc++-3-libc6.1-2-2.10.0.so what I am looking for is libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3.
I hope this is now better understood. Thanks again.

OK. I see. You don't need to download libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3. Creating the link per the how-to creates a file (kinda like a windows shortcut) named libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3 which actually points to libstdc++-3-libc6.1-2-2.10.0.so .

At least I think this is how it works. I'm no linux geek but I'm learning.
qamed1
Thanks anqst, Thanks sharppda, Kismet is up and running. I told you I am a newbie. Please forgive my silly question.
GuruGeek2002
Possibly solved.....

When I click connect for my war walk profile....and then go to terminal and su and then type kismet.....it runs...

it returns a text table type display showing networks and how long kismet has been running....interesting, it works from command line and not from icon.....

thanks everyone!
Roger
smammon
Don't know if you've discovered this yet - Hold your stylus on the Kismet icon for about 2 seconds. A menu will come up - select "Execute with root privilege".

Sounds like your "War-Walk" connection is working as it should BTW. The Wifi light blinks when the card is active but not associated with an AP.
GuruGeek2002
SOLVED!

That worked. Once I checked "Run with Root privilages", the server unavaliable message went away. Now it starts without a problem!

Thanks,
Roger
zipmaster
hey i was wondering if anyone was able to get it to play sound when it finds a new net? mine hasnt been able to yet
GuruGeek2002
Oddly enough, mine doesn't play sound either when it finds a new network....
cosmos7
QUOTE(rospahr @ Apr 29 2004, 05:01 PM)
a solution found here:

I have just installed Kismet on my 6000L

Thanks!

Followed these instructions, and got it working perfectly. No sound though...
Tehas
I got it working thanks to the HowTo. One weird thing, I use the gui on my SL5600 and it starts up my wifi card automagically, I wonder why the 6K doesn't?

I was able to start up a non-gui kismet session from the konsole and then it does play sounds.
nilch
QUOTE(DrWily @ Dec 3 2004, 01:38 PM)
Does anyone else's Zaurus lock up after running Kismet for so long? I have to yank out my battery to reboot it and I can see it getting slower as kismet runs.

I followed the instructions too and now have Kismet running.

But sadly, after finding a few networks, it just freezes up the whole Z.
I have to do a reset - the <Power> <Rec> button and reset switch on the back .

(BTW) how do we do a soft reset on the 6000L ?

I dont know why kismet is hanging up as of yet ...
soundwave106
I've gotten that Kismet freeze occasionally, but only a soft reset (Reset button on the back only) seemed to work.
Chimpsky
I think I have everything set up right... I can run kismet from the terminal or with GUI without any problems, however, It doesnt pick up any APs. I have my home AP broadcasting and it doesnt see it. What is causing this? Is there a setting in the kismet.conf file that i need to change?

thanks!
BarryW
From the how-to.

6) vi /home/root/usr/local/etc/kismet.conf to enable source=prism2,wlan0,prism2source. You may also want to turn off GPS support (unless you have one).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.