Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cacko Kernel For Sl-5500/5000d
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > Sharp ROMs
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
maslovsky
Cacko Kernel is an updated kernel image for Sharp ROM 3.10/3.13 and compatible ROMs.

This NOT a full ROM update, this is only a kernel. You'll be able to continue to use your existing ROM after you flash this kernel update.

zImage-sl5500-32-30 - default memory layout

zImage-sl5500-64-0 - memory layout for home on SD ROM (Cacko/Crow)
zImage-sl5000D-32-0 - memory layout for home on SD ROM (Cacko/Crow)

Important information regarding 64-0 and 32-0 kernels!

Such kernels are only intended to be used on top of existing 64-0( or 32-0) Cacko/Crow ROM!!! I will not work if you flash it on top of 32-30 (default) ROM.

Also, it's not garantied to be compatible with TKC home on SD ROM, since it uses a different approach to implement it. However a 32-30 kernel may work.

If you want to use 64-0 (32-0) configuration. you must flash one of the Cacko/Crow ROMs first, depending on your zaurus model (5500 or 5000D):

http://www.zaurususergroup.com/modules.php...download&sid=65

Read more info on Cacko/Crow ROM here:

http://www.schwag.org/~crow/
http://www.schwag.org/%7Ecrow/cacko/flash_...structions.html

Also note, that if you perform a ROM update (not just kernel), I cannot garantee that you backups can be safely restored. They may or may not work, depending on what changes were made to your ROM. You can try and see if they do.

You сan safely use backups if you only flashed the kernel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The kernel includes several improvments over the stock ROM.

Version 1.0:

- APM patch from OpenZaurus kernel (adopted for 2.4.18 kernel version by Albert Rybalkin).
This patch implements accurate batery power reading, which allows to display actual percentage
of remaining battery power instead of Good, Low, etc levels.

- Compiled with CONFIG_FS_SYNC flag turned off. The CONFIG_FS_SYNC flag is a modification added by Sharp
to force media (i.e., CF & SD cards) to be mounted sync, even if you specify "mount -o async ...".
With this flag turned off, you can get true async io on your SD and CF cards, greatly speeding up file writes

- Wireless Extentions enabled, orinoco/sectrum drivers updated to version 0.13e with monitoring patch applied.
This should enable Wellenreiter to run properly.

- Kernel is compiled with smaller console fonts, so that more information fits into the display.

- Applied patch, which fixes problem with serial CF cards staying suspended upon resume

- Included patch for IRDA problem with some Ericson mobile phones.

Issue the following commands after reboot to adjust IRDA settings for ericsson phones:

CODE
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/irda/max_tx_window

echo 1000 > /proc/sys/net/irda/min_tx_turn_time

- Boot logo updated

---------------------------

Kernel Update instructions:

1. Make a backup of your data using Backup/Restore application.
Note: Although this update only replaces your Zaurus Linux kernel and does not change any other files,
you'll need to perform a hard reset after flashing to activate it the new kernel,

2. Download and copy zImage file to your CF card and perform a usual update procedure.
Make sure to press reset button after update is complete.
Note: Kernel is a small file so update will only take a few seconds.

3. Boot your Zaurus and restore your data from the backup.

Note:
To be able to restore your backup, rename your backup file, so that it ends with "unknown". For example:

2003-01-01-00-01.backup_SL5500-US-3

...should become:

2003-01-01-00-01.backup_SL5500-US-unknown

After that the Backup/Restore app should recognize this backup.

4. To get actual battery percentage displayed in Qtopia, you need an updated version of Battery Applet,
which is available for download: http://my-zaurus.nadrod.ru/opie.html

Enjoy!

For SL-5500:

http://www.zaurususergroup.com/modules.php...download&sid=38

For SL-500D:

http://www.zaurususergroup.com/modules.php...download&sid=37
ced
could you make this APM kernel patch available for download, please?
maslovsky
could you make this APM kernel patch available for download, please?

The patch is for "collie" devices, that is 5500 and 5000D. It does not apply to the 5600...
rjedge
Cacko Kernel is an updated kernel image for Sharp ROM 3.10/3.13 and compatible ROMs.

This NOT a full ROM update, this is only a kernel. You'll be able to continue to use your existing ROM after you flash this kernel update.

zImage-sl5500-64-0  - memory layout for home on SD ROM

I have attempted to update using the above kernel but when I reset all I get is the boot logo and it sits there. I am assuming that when you state "using the usual updat procedure" you are referring to the RESET and C+D option.

I have an SL-5500 with the zImage file copied to the root of my FC card and while it appears to flash okay, it won't boot into my Sharp 3.13 ROM.

Any suggestions?
Greg2
I am assuming that when you state "using the usual updat procedure" you are referring to the RESET and C+D option.

@rjedge

Yes it is the same procedure. While pressing C and D keys push full reset button once, then after the flash is complete push full reset again.

@maslovsky

Your kernel works very well with read and write speeds to CF and SD cards but before I could try out my wireless and modem cards I have found that the Backup/Restore app doesn't work with it. I flashed back to v3.13 with Ospack and restored with backup file to checkout my files and they worked fine. So I believe there is a bug which won't allow for the use of Restore App.

5500 with v3.13

Thanks

Greg
Violator
I have tried this kernel update and the battery applet appears to be working fine but I also hit a problem restoring data. It appears to be unable to see backups from 3.13 rom. I have some old backups from 3.10 and it can see those to select them but so much has changed on my zaurus since then. :?
maslovsky
I have attempted to update using the above kernel but when I reset all I get is the boot logo and it sits there. I am assuming that when you state "using the usual updat procedure" you are referring to the RESET and C+D option.

Please, make all the usual "CF card flashing" checks, such as your card is FAT16, zImage is the only file on the root of CF, it's named exactly zImage, etc.

What boot logo do you see? If ts's Sharp logo, kernel did not flash...

Try to flash zaurus with Ospack from Sharp and see if it works.
maslovsky
To be able to restore your backup, rename your backup file, so that it ends with "unknown". For example:

2003-01-01-00-01.backup_SL5500-US-3

...should become:

2003-01-01-00-01.backup_SL5500-US-unknown

After that the Backup/Restore app should recognize this backup.
rjedge
Please, make all the usual "CF card flashing" checks, such as your card is FAT16, zImage is the only file on the root of CF, it's named exactly zImage, etc.

It was your penguin logo. Sorry I forgot to mention that I had already verified that the CF card was FAT and flashing works normally.

I did flash it back to the Sharp 3.13 OSPACK successfully. I'll try to flash your zImage again today.
Greg2
Thanks maslovsky, I will try that later today when I have more time.

Out of curiosity, what does a v3.1 backup file name end with (SL5500-US-what?). I cleaned up my hard drive and don't have any for reference.

Greg
Xaser
Hello!

well, I tried the cacko new kernel upgrade with the other part from the TKC rom 1.0 and everything works fine(even I didnt had to rename my restore file, the new kernel recognises it fine, may be because I previously used the TKC 1.0 and it is 3.10 based...)

I have a little doubt that worries me after the upgrade... well, I did it fine, and after all,when I put my Z in the craddle for charging, the yellow light start to blinking instaed of be steady (The yellow light always be steady while my Z charges with the previously TKC rom 1.0), well, after I noted thi,s I installed the battery applet 1.0.2 and the installation was well and the new applet appears on my Z,but again when I tried to charge my Z the yellow light blinks...

So, It may sound idiot, and please excuse me if it is, but really, I would like to ask... This blinking yellow light while the Z5500 is charging is normal with this new kernel????... :?: (please excuse the botther question, but, this REALLY worries me... because this light blinking is associated with troubles when appears related with charging/upgrades in other Z rom/kernels... so I wolud like to be clear if this is fine now with the new cacko kernel from april 14th....), my Z reports battery at 83% and when I put on craddle or plug directly the ac adapter it changes to 100% charge but the light still blinks...

Thanks for you help.... smile.gif
maslovsky
Thanks maslovsky, I will try that later today when I have more time.

Out of curiosity, what does a v3.1 backup file name end with (SL5500-US-what?). I cleaned up my hard drive and don't have any for reference.

Greg

It ends up with the ROM version number, which is only updated properly ny the Ospack, but not inird.bin or zImage. In case of 3.1x ROM it's SL5500-US-3
maslovsky
I have a little doubt that worries me after the upgrade... well, I did it fine, and after all,when I put my Z in the craddle for charging, the yellow light start to blinking instaed of be steady (The yellow light always be steady while my Z charges with the previously TKC rom 1.0), well, after I noted thi,s I installed the battery applet 1.0.2 and the installation was well and the new applet appears on my Z,but again when I tried to charge my Z the yellow light blinks...

This somtimes happens with the patehced kernel when your battery is almost full and you plug AC adapter. Try to suspend your zaurus, put it in cradle and the turn it on.
gregallen

same happening here - boots with penguin, but then sits there. This is the 64-0 kernel. Is it unpacking the /home/ tar file? How long should I expect this to take?

My MMC card was already formatted to ext2, so I assume I don't need to fdisk and reformat...?

It's sitting there, having printed:
INIT: version 2.78 booting
rjedge

same happening here - boots with penguin, but then sits there. This is the 64-0 kernel. Is it unpacking the /home/ tar file? How long should I expect this to take?

My MMC card was already formatted to ext2, so I assume I don't need to fdisk and reformat...?

It's sitting there, having printed:
INIT: version 2.78 booting

This is exactly the situation I have using the 64-0 kernel, but now I have tried the 32-30 default kernel and it works fine.

Another thing, the link posted to the new battery applet is dead. Is there another location for this applet. The ZSI site has a protest page up so I can't get it from there either.

Richard
yzord
Another thing, the link posted to the new battery applet is dead. Is there another location for this applet. The ZSI site has a protest page up so I can't get it from there either.

Richard

It's a typo. The actualy url is: http://my-zaurus.narod.ru/opie.html
Yz
rjedge
It's a typo. The actualy url is: http://my-zaurus.narod.ru/opie.html

Thanks. Got it.
fatherb
Just tried flashing the 64-0 kernel on my sl5500 with sharp 3.13. Flashes fine but after rebooting it shows the new cacko penguin logo and then hangs showing init: version 2.78 booting.

There's now 4 of us with this problem so clearly it doesn't work - will have a go with the 32-30 one and let all know the results.
fatherb
Flashing with the 32-30 kernel worked, but I am unable to retrieve my backup. I tried renaming the original file (called '2004-04-15-20-35' to '2004-04-15-20-35-unknown' but it still can't find the file in the restore application.

For some reason I seem to have a different backup naming convention to the one Maslovsky mentions in his notes, 003-01-01-00-01.backup_SL5500-US-3.

I tried to put a .backup in my name but it won't accept '.' as a character.

Anyone have any ideas?
gregallen
For some reason I seem to have a different backup naming convention to the one Maslovsky mentions in his notes, 003-01-01-00-01.backup_SL5500-US-3.  

I tried to put a .backup in my name but it won't accept '.' as a character.  

Anyone have any ideas?

create a new empty backup, and see what suffix it gets.

check the suffix from a terminal, rather than a filemanager.

likewise do the rename from a terminal ("mv <old> <new>").
ageiron
Hi all,

I have the same problem posted here with the 60-0 zImage. Locks the Z very hard (must perform a hard reset to get it to turn off) after about 3 second when booting the new kernel.

I have been able to flash the 32-30 with no problem.

I am intersted in having the 60-0 work with my Zaurus since I have a couple of large custom programs that could benefit from such a configuration.

My SD card has already been formatted EXT2.

Is there anyway we can work together to resolve this? any especial procedures /configurations needed before flashing?

I will appreciate any help or guidance !

Regards, Antonio
Greg2
maslovsky

Works great, everything checks out ok!

Changing Backup file name works fine. Ambicom 56k ez-jack cf modem and SMC2642W ez-connect wireless cf cards work fine. Batteryapplet, overclock and usb-storage work, so far everything works and the card write speeds are up.

Thanks

Greg
tecknobabble
There's now 4 of us with this problem so clearly it doesn't work - will have a go with the 32-30 one and let all know the results.

Make that 5.... no joy with the 64-00, but the 32-30 is fine.... 64-00 locks up after the boot image - throws up running the rc.rofilesys script as far as I can tell. I run my own custom filesystem image that works with either sort of kernel and it looks like it blows up when its checking the /proc/cmdline to find out the memsize used....
Greg2
As for the 64-0 kernel...

Edit:
Please follow instructions updated by maslovsky

Greg
ageiron
Hi,

Tried reflashing together with w initrd.bin from the sharp 3.13 rom (rombursted) and no joy either. Same result when starting. Pinguin logo and the INIT: version 2.7.8 booting and hard lock.

Only diference is that when the flashing process ended the two leds starting flashing together. This stopped as soon as the hard reset button was pressed. Never saw this before and I have tried almost every rom out there....

What can I try next? Does anyone have the 64-0 rom working on their Zs?

Rgds, Antonio
Xaser
Hi maslovsky!
Thank you very much for take the time to answer and the good will to help!!!... smile.gif
The simple suspend and put in the craddle put the ligth in order, now steady and normal! smile.gif

If this may help some of the other users, as a report of working, my Z5500 now appears to work fine, but I use the 30-32 rom and my Lexar SD card is formatted in VFAT (for easy access under windows and by means a card RW adapter...), and the initrd.bin of the upgrade is ProtoTKC v1.0, and the standar backup file was restored withouth rename it.

Im thinking about made a test with this new Cacko Zimage 64-0+ProtoTKC2.0+HomeOnSD script but Im not clear if there is a trouble with this combination, and I must make an effort to get the time for doing try and error work because my real work is a little charged by this days,so,if someone tried it or know see something that could make that the things dont go fine/work, well, some advice/alert will be appreciated, specially if it could save some waste of time/efforts...

best regards to everybody! smile.gif
maslovsky
Important information regarding 64-0 kernel!

This kernel is only intended to be used on top of existing 64-0 Cacko/Crow ROM!!! I will not work if you flash it on top of 32-30 (default) ROM.

Also, it's not garantied to be compatible with TKC home on SD ROM, since it uses a different approach to implement it. However a 32-30 kernel may work.

If you want to use 64-0 configuration. you must flash one of the Cacko/Crow ROMs first, depending on your zaurus model (5500 or 5000D):

http://www.zaurususergroup.com/modules.php...download&sid=65

Read more info on Cacko/Crow ROM here:

http://www.schwag.org/~crow/
http://www.schwag.org/%7Ecrow/cacko/flash_...structions.html
fatherb
Well, now we know what's wrong!!! It can't be used on the stock sharp rom.

Gotta say though Maslovsky, in your initial instructions it specifically states that the new kernel would work on the sharp 3.13 rom. Guess we are all lucky that we haven't turned our Z's into fancy new paperweights.

I have the 32-30 kernel flashed on my stock sharp 3.13 and it is so far working fine. Any plans to make the 64-0 work on the normal rom?
maslovsky

Gotta say though Maslovsky, in your initial instructions it specifically states that the new kernel would work on the sharp 3.13 rom.  Guess we are all lucky that we haven't turned our Z's into fancy new paperweights.

I have the 32-30 kernel flashed on my stock sharp 3.13 and it is so far working fine.  Any plans to make the 64-0 work on the normal rom?

Yes, I must have been not clear enough on my instructions, sorry. I've updated them. 64-0 cannot work on normal ROM, since there is no space for /home. You have to flash Cacko/Crow ROMs to use 64-0 config.
tecknobabble
Yes, I must have been not clear enough on my instructions, sorry. I've updated them. 64-0 cannot work on normal ROM, since there is no space for /home. You have to flash Cacko/Crow ROMs to use 64-0 config.

I run a Crow like ROM and the 64-0 still doesn't work, maybe I didn't make that clear in my previous reply. No worries as I've gone back to my own kernel, if I can find the details of the patches I might roll them into mine and see what happens.
maslovsky

I run a Crow like ROM and the 64-0 still doesn't work, maybe I didn't make that clear in my previous reply. No worries as I've gone back to my own kernel, if I can find the details of the patches I might roll them into mine and see what happens.

Do you have a 5500 or 5000D device?
rjedge

A further update. When I installed the correct kernel for my Sharp 3.1 default 32-30 configuration everything worked fine. After renaming the backup it also restored fine.

Subsequent to this I decided to bite the bullet and install your latest 64-0 ROM and the new kernel and again everything works very well now. It is nice to have the extra memory for applications and /home on my Lexar 256 MB SD card.

Thanks for all your hard work on this.

Richard.
D-Link DCF-660W
Cacko 64-0 Rom
tecknobabble
Do you have a 5500 or 5000D device?

5500 - might have a closer look what's going on on Monday and reflash it.
Snooby
Installed 64-0 version with home on SD - so slow it's unusable !
maslovsky

Try this:

1. Make sure you also install the updated kernel
2. Mount your SD card in async mode:

su
echo MOUNT_OPTIONS="async,noatime" >> /home/root/.rom_options
reboot

3. If it still does not help, try another SD card. Some SanDisk cards have been reported to have problems on Zaurus.
highfell

Gotta say though Maslovsky, in your initial instructions it specifically states that the new kernel would work on the sharp 3.13 rom.  Guess we are all lucky that we haven't turned our Z's into fancy new paperweights.

Give Maslovsky a break. He deserves no criticism but just our thanks.

I dread to think of the hours that he must spend on improving the Zaurus software and all of us become the beneficiaries.

Nigel Bamber
tux
Thanks Maslovsky.

I'm running the alpha 3 TKCrom with home on SD, courtesy of the new script. Your kernel, the 32 30 one!, appears to work fine.

I ended up rebooting from the gui an extra time to get all my apps to work as normal from home on SD but that was the only problem.

Thanks also for the usb-storage solution!

Excellent work!

PS with people like you and Zautrix we don't need Sharp much, do we?
g1gsw

Try this:

1. Make sure you also install the updated kernel
2. Mount your SD card in async mode:

su
echo MOUNT_OPTIONS="async,noatime" >> /home/root/.rom_options
reboot

3. If it still does not help, try another SD card. Some SanDisk cards have been reported to have problems on Zaurus.

I have the same problem, the sd card is a sandisk but it flies with the tk alpha 3 rom. So why should there be a difference?

Thanks

Colin
Xaser
highfell you are totally right!... Since the launch of the Z, all we had and have the great luck that good friends around here has made great efforts to improve our loved Z's, I cant remenber all the names, but, as the time passes, I see how some friends made something really great, then they "disappears", but new "good will & mind" programers appears with new efforts for the benefit of all of us... is for sure that are a lot of this friends that like as maslovsky, take its time only to make better things for all us, so, Thank you really much to all of you! smile.gif

By other side, heee Tux... if the question dont bother too much.... I wouldlike to ask so:
A)You are using the alpha 3 of the TKCrom2.0 and it worked fine with backup/restore prog?
B)The new script for home on SD that you used, is the standard script that appears in the ZUG downloads zone or is a modified version in some way... (in case that is a modified version, could you put a copy of it?...)
thank you very much for the patience aand best regards! smile.gif
tux
Answering your questions:

No Backup Restore does not work to CF or SD....

Home on SD script is the one in Other Cool Stuff in ZUG downloads...

Cheers
highfell
A)You are using the alpha 3 of the TKCrom2.0 and it worked fine with backup/restore prog?

I also had problems with this. For some reasom Alpha 3, does not allow you to backup your Zaurus in any circumstances.

I switched back to Version 1 of the TKR. To be honest I couldn't tell you of any noticeable difference between the two versions except that the backup and restore functions works on version 1.

Nigel Bamber
Xaser
Hi! First of all, Tux, Thanx very much for take the time to answer! smile.gif

About the topics, I use the TKC rom 1.0 with the new cacko kernel without trouble, in fact Im also install the memory monitor plugin that made a swap disk and enable/disable it , and original backup/restore utility and everything works totally fine....

well, the only thing that I would like to add is the use of the home-on-sd script that is in ZUG downloads, but in the info of this script said that is suited for the TKCrom2-alpha3 rom file, so in fact, the info exactly said that the scrist is:

"This is to be used in conjunction with the TKCrom Version 2-alpha3 release. You can also modify the standard sharp rom, or tkc-v1 rom to work with this script, by modifying the /root/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit script to match the one that is included with the version-2-alpha3 tkcrom."....

So,I would like to ask, if somebody already made the changes that refers in the above paragraph, and tested it with the TKCrom1.0, or if someone could know what is the changes that are needed to the script, so in order that could be totally usefull with TKCrom1.0.... smile.gif

thanx & best regards & a nice day to all! smile.gif
zstutz
How can I make sure my SD card (where /home resides) is mounting async?
maslovsky
How can I make sure my SD card (where /home resides) is mounting async?

If you're using Crow like ROM, then first check by typing mount. If you see a "sync" option, then your card is mounted sync. Then do the following:

su
echo MOUNT_OPTIONS="async,noatime">/home/root/.rom_options
reboot
yzord
Hey Maslovsky, I'm having issues with the async writing to the SD card. What happens is that after a length of time, button presses become very laggy/hit-and-miss and after a while stop registering reliably. I wasnt sure what this was (never been a problem before), but I suspected the async writing - and after some tests (moved all my docs over to the flash and started accessing them there) figured out that that was the problem. The card is an old Sandisk MMC card which has never really screwed up, although it's no doubt slow.
My question: how do I change it back to sync (which should make it work properly again)?
Is
CODE
echo MOUNT_OPTIONS="sync,noatime">/home/root/.rom_options

..good enough?

Thanks,
Yz
maslovsky
Hey Maslovsky, I'm having issues with the async writing to the SD card. What happens is that after a length of time, button presses become very laggy/hit-and-miss and after a while stop registering reliably. I wasnt sure what this was (never been a problem before), but I suspected the async writing - and after some tests (moved all my docs over to the flash and started accessing them there) figured out that that was the problem. The card is an old Sandisk MMC card which has never really screwed up, although it's no doubt slow.
My question: how do I change it back to sync (which should make it work properly again)?
Is
CODE
echo MOUNT_OPTIONS="sync,noatime">/home/root/.rom_options

..good enough?

Thanks,
Yz

Yes, that's it. Some MMC/SD cards may have problems in async mode. It depends on particular hardware.
yzord
Thanks Maslovsky. I will try that. Unfortunately, I may not be correct in my initial assumption that it was an async writing issue. It seems the button problem is still happening.

Anyone else getting button lag w/ this rom and TKC v2alpha3?
Thanks all,
Yz
ninjai
After I flash my 5500 with the 64-0 rom It gets to the point where it sais
"Initializing /home". Then after about 5 min. It seems to try and run a binary file but fails. I get the following re-occurring error message :

"/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: [: : interger expression expected"
"/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: /usr/bin.rom/expr: cannot execute binry file

I am not too sure what to do at this point aside from trying to re-flash the rom again.

Any suggestions??
Thanks
oxo
First, a great, great thanks to maslovsky for his work ! good job man :-)
I'm using the 64-0 Cacko (+kernel patch + async config) on my 5500, and everything works fine.
Just for people who want to install it, BE PATIENT ! because on my 256 Mo SD card, it takes many, many times to install and to boot, but after it's Ok.

I've installed from the ZuG Download wellenreiter (1.x) , the install is OK but when I launch it, it can recognize my driver (wlan-ng) but not the interface (eth0).
If I'm issuing > iwconfig I have nothing.
After reading many post on this, I want to test with the onroco driver but I can't find the hermes.conf in /etc/pcmcia.
Any idea ?

Regards.

oXo
maslovsky
ninjai, did you prepare your SD card properly? It must be ext2 formattted.

oxo, you'll need to create hermes.conf file if it does not exist and add appropriate entries:

device "orinoco_cs"
class "hermes"
module "hermes", "orinoco", "orinoco_cs"

<add entry for your card here...>

You can copy your card info from wlan-ng.conf file.
Then copy /etc/pcmcia/spectrum to /etc/pcmcia/hermes

Also edit /home/QtPalmtop/etc/network/WLAN.conf:

CardType = wlan-ng spectrum hermes

This will make network applet recognize orinico drivers properlly.

Finaly restart pcmcia (/etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia restart) and reinsert the card.

After that issue the following commands:

cardctl scheme qpewlan0
cardctl reset

...and your card will be recognized by wellenreiter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.