Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cacko Kernel For Sl-5500/5000d
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > Sharp ROMs
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
revdjenk
Just so you don't misunderstand, everything is working, the third time around, because I have NOT installed KDEPIM 1.9.16!
craigtyson
The Files arnt there any more. Were they droped dou to compatibility problems? Or are they still available. Im looking to get a liitle bit more out of my tkc ROM v1 on my 5500

Cheers

Craig.
craigtyson
Found em. The files are under kernel source not the roms section as listed.
Installed and working fine on a tkc v1 30/32 with kTrove to put the apps onto SD so I can keep the card VFAT. As advertised write access to the cards is much quicker.

Craig
technojunkie
Well After many months of using the 64-0 kernel(zImage) with what I thought was the correct filesystem, I have had to reflash to get my WiFi card working. This time I know I have the files correct as I downloaded them in the same zip file, and I am now experiencing the infamous blinking battery light issue.

I think based off of my experience it is pretty safe to say that there is a config/version/other problem somewhere in the file structure that is causing the blinking rather than an issue with the kernel itself.

I am relieved though, that after a month of "bangin o' the head" I finally have WiFi.

As soon as I have my linux box back up and running I will dig into this ROM as deeply as I can and try to find any clues as to what causes this.

(OR if my wife lets me I may just upgrade to the new SL-C1000 smile.gif )
dougeeebear
QUOTE(technojunkie @ Mar 26 2005, 03:42 PM)
and I am now experiencing the infamous blinking battery light issue. 

I guess this issue is now dead in the water, with all the focus on the newer cacko updates going on.
I was hoping it might get fixed.
Oh, well... blink.gif
JoP
QUOTE(dougeeebear @ Mar 26 2005, 09:49 PM)
QUOTE(technojunkie @ Mar 26 2005, 03:42 PM)
and I am now experiencing the infamous blinking battery light issue. 

I guess this issue is now dead in the water, with all the focus on the newer cacko updates going on.
I was hoping it might get fixed.
Oh, well... blink.gif

Hi all,
for those that might be interested, I noticed something about the blinking charging light.
If you plug the adaptor to charge the Z and it starts blinking (with Z suspended or not, I didn't find a difference there), then you unplug it (or maybe no need to do so) 'call' battery applet to see how much battery you've got left, plug it back and it will work.

There are many different combinations, e.g. you can tap on battery applet before charging and then just plug the charger.
I think it works always, but I need some more testing. Consider that, when I run out of battery I plug the adaptor, and if it doesn't work (if it does I touch nothing, don't even look biggrin.gif ), then I try the "tapping on batt-applet" trick, for what I have to turn on the Z if it was suspended.
dougeeebear
@JoP:
It doesn't make any difference on mine.
I'm using 32-30 zImage with 3.13 Sharp Rom.

Doug
JoP
That's weird. huh.gif
I have just tried it on mine and it worked again.
After tapping on batteryapplet (I'm using Cacko's), it didn't blink any of the 4 times I tried. (And it seldom happens to me that it works the first time I plug it).
I'm using Cacko's 64-0.
If any one else could try we might get some clarifying result. I don't think any other applet I've got installed has anything to do with that but batteryapplet.
unsure.gif
dougeeebear
I have the recommended battery applet installed:

To get actual battery percentage displayed in Qtopia, you need an updated version of Battery Applet,
which is available for download: http://my-zaurus.nadrod.ru/opie.html

**EDIT** That server does not seem to be available right now.

The file name is qtopia-batteryapplet_1.0.2_arm.ipk
JoP
That link was going pretty slow yesterday, but I see you've got a mistake there.
The right one is:

http://my-zaurus.narod.ru/opie.html
dougeeebear
I just gave up on it AGAIN, and flashed the Sharp rom without the zImage.

Thanks for trying, anyway.

Doug
JoP
That's a pity,
my big annoyance with using Cacko ROM was that issue with battery charging.
But now that this seems to work (for me, unless sad.gif ) I have the Z as I wanted it, lot of apps (since I use 64-0), no problems installing apps and no worries with battery (at the moment... dry.gif )

I have just plugged the Z to outlet, I still had some batt left but I want to use WIFI.
It blinked.
I unplugged, tapped on qtopia-batteryapplet, left it on screen showing mid-charge, plugged again and worked blink.gif
It has worked too many times to be just coincidence! (I want to believe tongue.gif )

I installed Cacko Rom 64-0, and later upgraded to new kernel. Never tried with Sharp 3.13 Rom, though.
technojunkie
dougeebear,

I am slowly working my way through the battery.c and the apm patch for it. my C knowledge is dismal, but I'm pretty sure that something in the patch raised a threshhold level to the point where the z beleives that the charger isn't quite putting out enough power. Hence the blinking light. That's why repeatedly plugging the power will eventually yield a solid charging light.

Once I get my knoppix dev environment finished, I'll try recompiling the kernel without the APM patch and see if the problem goes away. If it does I'll post the kernel for interim use until I figure out the APM patch.
dougeeebear
technojunkie,

I am using the 32-30 zImage with Sharp rom 3.13.
The only reason I use this zImage is for the battery percent display.
It would really be great if the battery light worked right.

Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Doug
JoP
technojunkie,
if you could fix that, that'd be great!
I hope I have some time one of these days to get into C programming, so I can help somehow. (I think I forgot all I sometime learnt about C, back at college... now I started with Python, but I need more time... or a lotto prize tongue.gif )

Have you tried what I posted up here? Just curious...

BTW,
did you find a better behaving with you highspeed SD card on 64-0 ROM?
I think the limit would be on Z SD reading speed, but if it is faster than a regular SD card... That's the only thing I'd like to improve in this Rom, installing ipks faster! smile.gif

Thanks again for everything.
chrget
QUOTE(technojunkie @ May 3 2005, 04:41 PM)
[...] I'm pretty sure that something in the patch raised a threshhold level to the point where the z beleives that the charger isn't quite putting out enough power. Hence the blinking light.
Hmmm, I wonder ... while I have no experience with Cacko whatsoever, I've been using the battery patch by itself with Sharp's 2.4.6 and 2.4.18 kernels (2.38 and 3.13 ROMs with modified battery applet respectively) and didn't observe any ill effects.

Best regards,
Chris.
technojunkie
I am not 100% sure it's the kernel/patch but its my best guess at this point. I had used the 64-0 image with the kernel that was released just previous to this one(hence my wifi headache) and didn't have the blinking light issue until I loaded this kernel. I am kinda limited for the next month or so as to what I can do to track it down as I will be on vacation for a while, and still have to set up my live CD dev environment.

As for the High Speed SD card, it was the first one I found that could resume from suspend without locking up. If you do a search for home on SD or 64-0 and SD posted by me, you'll see the progression I went through for that.

another thing I am working on is changing the APM suspend/resume sripts for this rom to allow the FS_SYNC option to work better. Once I got my high Speed SD card, I found that trying to suspend with FS_SYNC set my Z would hang, but when I disabled it it would work fine.

As for the battery icon thing, It didn't work for me. But I have found that if I put it in the cradle, suspend the Z, then reseat it in the cradle about 7/10 times it will work.
dougeeebear
Happy vacation smile.gif
technojunkie
mad.gif

I am a freaking scatterbrained bonehead. I left my daytimer(with my Z)in the walmart parking lot last night. Nobody has turned it in to the lost and found so I can only assume its gone.

I'll still work on the kernel and put it up for testing, but expect me to move slowly until I can replace my Z.
miskinis
Does anyone know if the "applications that have been removed" are available
anywhere? The link seems to have been dead for months. Many thanks for
any info.

John
dougeeebear
miskinis,

Check here http://www.zaurususergroup.org/UpDownload+...ad-sid-22.phtml
You might find what you are looking for.

Doug
miskinis
Hi!

Yes, I found the apps there, and I just (last night) started to check
out the cacko ROM. So far, I really, really like it. Unfortunately I've
been running into problems with the version of Opera in that is in
that .zip file. I don't remember the exact errors, but it would not
install, and complained about the tar format...

I was able to install jeode, and the jeode demos, but have not tried
to use them yet.

If anyone else knows what's going on with the Opera in that .zip, or
has a pointer to another one, that would be cool.

Many thanks,

John
dougeeebear
There is Opera 7.30 on page 3 where you got your cacko apps.

Also, if you have a Yahoo account, you can find Opera 7.55 in the SL5500 group at Yahoo Groups http://groups.yahoo.com/

Also, make sure the files you are installing are in the ROOT of your card, not in a directory.
Otherwise, you will usually get an error message.

*EDIT*
This thread is getting off its intended topic.
Let's try to keep it on-topic (meaning me too) smile.gif
merli
I had problem with Opera 7.55 on my 5500. It didnt display some pages and waited with message "waiting for user-confirmation of cool" I'm back to 6.0 from sharp rom 3.13

merli

----------------------
SL-5500
Merlin ROM :-) cross between Hybrid Cacko and TKC ROM
technojunkie
Well..... I have good news and not so good news.

The good news is: I saved a bunch of money.... And got another 5500.

The not so good news is: after flashing the ROM and then the kernel I DON'T have the blinking battery light.

I have tried killing the battery and putting it in the charger, charging from various battery levels reseating the z in the charger about 50 times. And last but not least my 4.5v car adapter as it used to kick off the blinking light.

Here is the process I went through:

Step 1. Flash this: http://www.zaurususergroup.org/UpDownload+...it-lid-53.phtml

Step 2. Boot the Z and setup a fresh SD card

Step 3. Flash This: http://www.zaurususergroup.org/UpDownload+...t-lid-223.phtml

Step 4. Install the battery applet

If anybody would like to test this and see if they still get the blinking light I would appreciate it.
dougeeebear
@technojunkie:

Sorry, that doesn't help me. I am using standard sharp rom 3.13.
The 32-30 kernel always gives me the flashing battery light.

Thanks anyway.

Doug

EDIT
I also do not use the cradle to charge my z.
I always use the power supply directly connected.
technojunkie
Well Phooey...

Ummm... question, When you flash the 32-30 kernel do you do kernel only or FileSystem+kernel?
dougeeebear
I flash the kernel only.
I tried to flash Ospack+kernel together, and the kernel does not get flashed that way.
technojunkie
QUOTE(dougeeebear @ Jun 7 2005, 11:58 AM)
I flash the kernel only.
I tried to flash Ospack+kernel together, and the kernel does not get flashed that way.

OK so you're using Sharp's filesystem with the cacko kernel. Well that narrows things down a bit (I think) I have been away from this for a while working on homework (both work and school) I hope to get back into it again soon.
lpetroni
Hi gang,
Any good news about the battery blinking problem?

I've just got from Qtopia v2.1.1 back to SharpROM 3.1.3 and would really like to try the 32-30 Cacko Kernel sad.gif
nothing
I am using Sharp ROM 3.13 with Cacko Kernel 32-30.

Battery flashing (blinking)... I found software (ZLed - aka Zaurus Led Signilizer) and disabled Battery blinking in it... It helps!!!

Memory (Installd memory applet gives 8Mb Swap from RAM, wich more faster than my SD)

Questions:
Should I install mmcsd.0 driver insted of Sharp_mmcsd.0? How can i do it? Only replace and rename?
Should I enable assync mode for SD? (how?)

Can anyone fixed bug with memory in Cacko Advanced ROM/Crow Rom, when Installing Cacko Kernel 64-0, system memory 48Mb insted of 64?
dougeeebear
QUOTE(nothing @ Jun 27 2005, 12:54 AM)

Battery flashing (blinking)... I found software (ZLed - aka Zaurus Led Signilizer) and disabled Battery blinking in it... It helps!!!

I tried your suggestion.
True, the light doesn't blink, but the actions are the same.
In other words, when you plug it in and the light doesn't come on, it's only because the program is controlling the light.
The problem is not actually fixed.

It was worth a try though smile.gif

I can't help you with your other questions.

Doug
lpetroni
QUOTE(dougeeebear @ Jun 27 2005, 10:55 AM)
I tried your suggestion.
True, the light doesn't blink, but the actions are the same...

Hi Doug,

Do you know if there is any option to install the kernel and disable or uninstall only the battery applet? This could be a provisory solution.
dougeeebear
QUOTE(lpetroni @ Jun 27 2005, 08:16 AM)
I tried your suggestion.

Do you know if there is any option to install the kernel and disable or uninstall only the battery applet? This could be a provisory solution.

AFAIK, whether or not a battery applet is installed or disabled has nothing to do with the blinking light problem.

The problem is with the kernel.

QUOTE(maslovsky @ Oct 25 2004, 04:47 AM)
This is a known problem with this kernel version. Try to reinsert the connector a few times, or try plugging it with zaurus suspended, etc. I know it may be annoying, but I wasn't able to figure out the problem...

So, I think your answer would be no.
technojunkie
QUOTE(dougeeebear @ Jun 27 2005, 02:02 PM)
QUOTE(lpetroni @ Jun 27 2005, 08:16 AM)
I tried your suggestion.

AFAIK, whether or not a battery applet is installed or disabled has nothing to do with the blinking light problem.

The problem is with the kernel.

QUOTE(maslovsky @ Oct 25 2004, 04:47 AM)
This is a known problem with this kernel version. Try to reinsert the connector a few times, or try plugging it with zaurus suspended, etc. I know it may be annoying, but I wasn't able to figure out the problem...

So, I think your answer would be no.

I'm pretty sure it's the kernel as well partly due to th eabove commants but mostly due to the fact that the 64/0 image wipes the contents of /var on reboot incidently causing the new battery applet to 'uninstall' leaving you with the original applet ans a blinking light.

Dougee I'm still poking away at this so hopefully I can find a workaround or solution.

Are you one of the folks whose z won't even charge because of the blinking light or are you in the 'inconvenience' club?
technojunkie
QUOTE(nothing @ Jun 27 2005, 05:54 AM)

Memory (Installd memory applet gives 8Mb Swap from RAM, wich more faster than my SD)

Questions:
Should I install mmcsd.0 driver insted of Sharp_mmcsd.0? How can i do it? Only replace and rename?
Should I enable assync mode for SD? (how?)

Can anyone fixed bug with memory in Cacko Advanced ROM/Crow Rom, when Installing Cacko Kernel 64-0, system memory 48Mb insted of 64?

simply replace and rename for the mmcsd.o and you will be fine.

I had bad luck with async mode not liking to suspend but you can try it.

as for the memory bug My system status shows 62516k total memory (which I think is pretty darn close to 64MB)

The kernel+filesystem that I have is detailed a little earlier in this thread.
dougeeebear
QUOTE(technojunkie @ Jun 27 2005, 02:00 PM)
I'm pretty sure it's the kernel as well partly due to th eabove commants but mostly due to the fact that the 64/0 image wipes the contents of /var on reboot incidently causing the new battery applet to 'uninstall' leaving you with the original applet ans a blinking light.

Dougee I'm still poking away at this so hopefully I can find a workaround or solution.

Are you one of the folks whose z won't even charge because of the blinking light or are you in the 'inconvenience' club?

I guess I'm in the 'inconvenience' club, because sometimes it charges and sometimes it blinks.

You keep mentioning the 64/0 image, but I am using 32/30 smile.gif

Doug
technojunkie
Yes I know tongue.gif

All I was pointing out is that by accident the new battery applet got kicked on my Z and I was back to the original. so if it were the fault of the applet the behavior would have changed.

4 day weekend coming up. I'll backup my Z and flash 32-30 and see if I can get the blinking light again.
dougeeebear
Right on the battery applet. I have tried it with and without the new one. It was the same either way.

Have a good one smile.gif
Doug
dougeeebear
QUOTE(technojunkie @ Jun 27 2005, 02:00 PM)

I have never had a problem with the new battery applet getting uninstalled.
My only problem is with the blinking battery light.
chal
I have running tKc rom with the Cacko kernel update, for about a week now and I have the blinking battery light issue, but it is very sporatic. Sometimes it goes for day without happening and once it does, I just disconnect the power and reconnect it, sometimes once does it, sometimes it take two or three times. Sometimes it needs to be suspended, sometimes not. Not anywhere near a deal breaker. Not ever that much of a annoyance. The speed is much better and I can open more progs at a time without crashing. I often have Beiks English Dictionary Pro, QPsword, Opera and Opie Reader open at once and maybe check the Calendar (KOPI) in the midst of it all. Qpdf2 is a little slow to open (I tried to install " t1lib_5.0.2-r0_arm.ipk to do the fix that someone posted elsewhere, but the file doesn't work. Maybe it's not for sl5500???), but everything else opens and moves faster. I had originally tried it with 64-0 Cacko rom, but i did something wrong. I kind of want to try it again, but this is working so nicely, I hate to mess with it (at least for a while). Thanks Maslovsky.
fiferboy
I can't get the zaurususergroup.org download to work. It keeps telling me "No input file specified." Does anyone have a mirror up? Or could somebody email me the 5000D kernel? fiferboy at gmail dot com

Thanks!
dougeeebear
http://www.zaurususergroup.org/

Click on the ELSI link > Browse Software > Roms
fiferboy
QUOTE(dougeeebear @ Aug 3 2005, 07:09 AM)

Unfortunately, the links from the page go to the zaurususergroup.org downloads page, which still doesn't work! Thanks for the assistance, though.
dougeeebear
QUOTE(fiferboy @ Aug 3 2005, 11:04 AM)
Unfortunately, the links from the page go to the zaurususergroup.org downloads page, which still doesn't work!  Thanks for the assistance, though.

Maybe if you leave offroadgeek or maslovsky a pm, they can help you out.
MorphiusFaydal
QUOTE(fiferboy @ Aug 3 2005, 11:04 AM)
QUOTE(dougeeebear @ Aug 3 2005, 07:09 AM)

Unfortunately, the links from the page go to the zaurususergroup.org downloads page, which still doesn't work! Thanks for the assistance, though.

i get the same problem....

is this mirrored anywhere?
Snappy
Unfortunately most sites either point back to the broken links or are down as well... sad.gif
amartinwest
Ive just put the sl5000d_cacko_beta-2.4.18 on my zaurus. It all went fine but my wireless linksys doesnt work. When I plug it in the light blinks for a while but then goes out. The network dialog shows no signal being detected. Any suggestions?

Thanks Martin West
amartinwest
PS Is there a way to get USB/TCPIP networking up?

Thanks Martin West
amartinwest
QUOTE(amartinwest @ Aug 11 2005, 10:04 PM)
PS Is there a way to get USB/TCPIP networking up?

Thanks Martin West

hhmmm, yes, just do ifconfig and look DOH
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.