Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where do Thumbs.db files come from?
OESF Portables Forum > General Forums > General Discussion
bb
I see some files named Thumbs.db and thumbs.db on my Zaurus SL-C860. I know that some MS Windows programs can leave files named like this, but I also see them in directories where I believe a MS Windows client viewing directories on the Zaurus, could hardly leave such files: in directories under the read-only file system.

Which programs on the Zaurus leave files named like this?
coburn_c
thumbs.db files are created automatically by windows xp. They contain thumbnail images of all the images in any given directory. annoying? yes useful? quite
omega
If you don't want to see them, then in windows explorer (where you are viewing the files) go to the tools menu and select Tools->Folder Options> View Tab> Select the box do not cache thumbnails.
bb
Thank your for your answers so far, but I still wonder how come I find a Thumbs.db file in the read-only file system. I cannot believe that an MS Windows client coming through samba has left that file:

root@zaurus:~# find / -name [Tt]humbs.db | xargs rm --
rm: unable to remove `/usr/QtPalmtop.rom/pics/sljisho/Thumbs.db': Read-only file system
tumnus
LOL. Maybe the guy in Japan who put that ROM together had a look at the pics using WinXP and didn't realise it had created that file biggrin.gif

They can be removed from the read-only file system if you want (Be very careful with this!). As root run the following:

mount / -o rw,remount
rm /usr/QtPalmtop.rom/pics/sljisho/Thumbs.db
mount / -o ro,remount

Always remember to do that last mount to protect your ROM again.
bb
LOL. Maybe the guy in Japan who put that ROM together had a look at the pics using WinXP and didn't realise it had created that file biggrin.gif

You may be right.
They can be removed from the read-only file system if you want (Be very careful with this!).

I'm aware of that. It doesn't bother me, though.
Thank you for your answer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.