Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Key board mapping
OESF Portables Forum > Model Specific Forums > Gemini PDA > Gemini PDA - Linux OS
graynada
I'm sure I'm missing something very simple somewhere but in Linux (Debian running in UserLAnd) I have 2 keys not mapped correctly. They are / and £ which both currently produce ? as does ? so not sure if that means don't know what to return or all 3 are mapped to ?

£ isn't too crucial for how I intend to use my Linux environment but trying to work in CLI without a forward slash is lets say 'interesting'!

Anyone able to point me in the right direction please?
Eric BF
QUOTE(graynada @ Jul 28 2018, 08:21 AM) *
I'm sure I'm missing something very simple somewhere but in Linux (Debian running in UserLAnd) I have 2 keys not mapped correctly. They are / and £ which both currently produce ? as does ? so not sure if that means don't know what to return or all 3 are mapped to ?

£ isn't too crucial for how I intend to use my Linux environment but trying to work in CLI without a forward slash is lets say 'interesting'!

Which language have you chosen in the login screen? That setting will, I expect, change the key bindings. Both keys work fine on my system with English-GB.
graynada
QUOTE(Eric BF @ Jul 28 2018, 07:48 PM) *
QUOTE(graynada @ Jul 28 2018, 08:21 AM) *

Which language have you chosen in the login screen? That setting will, I expect, change the key bindings. Both keys work fine on my system with English-GB.

Thanks for your reply.

There isn't a log on screen as such being ssh through XServer but I have set gb in the keyboard configuration file but this makes no difference and all the other keys map correctly include the usual candidates like @
Eric BF
QUOTE(graynada @ Jul 28 2018, 07:21 PM) *
There isn't a log on screen as such being ssh through XServer but I have set gb in the keyboard configuration file but this makes no difference and all the other keys map correctly include the usual candidates like @

I'm not sure I understand how you are using the system but, in any case, maybe have a look at your key map. E.g. with
CODE
xmodmap -pke
I see this for the relevant keys:
CODE
keycode  12 = 3 sterling 3 sterling backslash F3 backslash
keycode  59 = comma slash comma slash XF86Option multiply XF86Option

You could always use these lines as input to xmodmap, assuming you have the same keyboard as I do (UK).
graynada
QUOTE(Eric BF @ Jul 28 2018, 09:24 PM) *
QUOTE(graynada @ Jul 28 2018, 07:21 PM) *

I'm not sure I understand how you are using the system but, in any case, maybe have a look at your key map. E.g. with
CODE
xmodmap -pke
I see this for the relevant keys:
CODE
keycode  12 = 3 sterling 3 sterling backslash F3 backslash
keycode  59 = comma slash comma slash XF86Option multiply XF86Option

You could always use these lines as input to xmodmap, assuming you have the same keyboard as I do (UK).

Thanks for the help.

I have a UK keyboard and

CODE
XKBLAYOUT="gb"

set in the keyboard configuration file but my key map is different to yours.
I have set keys 12 and 59 through the command line and this is reflected in the key map but the key outputs do not change. I have also created a ~/.Xmodmap but this isn't getting picked up, not that would help anyway.

I think the method I am deploying Linux is the route cause. Through UserLAnd the debian image is one they supply so not the same as the one you are using . I think now you have let me check out the obvious I have enough to raise and issue on their project that shows it is a software issue rather than a Gemini issue so thank you.
Eric BF
QUOTE(graynada @ Jul 29 2018, 06:46 AM) *
I think the method I am deploying Linux is the route cause. Through UserLAnd the debian image is one they supply so not the same as the one you are using . I think now you have let me check out the obvious I have enough to raise and issue on their project that shows it is a software issue rather than a Gemini issue so thank you.

Ah! You are not using gemian. (And apologies for missing that bit; you did say that in the OP.) That's a totally different kettle of fish.

You could always add the explicit xmodmap commands to rebind those particular keys to your ~/.bashrc?
graynada
QUOTE(Eric BF @ Jul 29 2018, 09:12 AM) *
QUOTE(graynada @ Jul 29 2018, 06:46 AM) *

Ah! You are not using gemian. (And apologies for missing that bit; you did say that in the OP.) That's a totally different kettle of fish.

You could always add the explicit xmodmap commands to rebind those particular keys to your ~/.bashrc?

Thank you for your help. I have tried xmodmap commands with I see taking effect in the return from xmodmap -pke but the behaviour of the keys does not change. Definitely one for the UserLAnd community I think but thanks anyway for helping me confirm that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.