Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sync problem with timezone change
OESF Forums > General Forums > Desktop Operating Systems Issues > Windows Issues
rwan
Hi all,

I'm having a problem with syncing between my 5600 and Windows XP Qtopia (I think that's what it's called -- it isn't Outlook...so the other one :) ). Basically, I just physically moved a timezone away. Now, the schedule on my 5600 is correct, but everything in Qtopia is off by an hour.

I know each event is assigned a timezone. I'd like to make it less complicated than that...I'd just like to store everything in "here" time on both the Z and Qtopia on the XP. I'm obviously doing something wrong; anyone know what? How do the two machines know which timezone they're in? I've set the System time on the Zaurus under Settings | Date/Time to my new timezone. Where does XP Qtopia get its timezone from?

Thanks!
lardman
/etc/localtime (I think) and XP stores it in the registry I'd assume - try double clicking on the clock in the system tray.

Si
rwan
Hi,

So, Qtopia desktop is taking the timezone from XP's setting? I thought Qtopia itself was keeping it separate in some option hidden in some menu that I've yet to find.

I know my Zaurus is correct -- I'll double check my desktop's settings. Hmmm...I thought I set it already, but I guess I missed it.

Ray
lardman
Not sure, I don't use Qtopia Desktop, but I'd assume that it stores everything in GMT and then works out the offset depending on your computer's timezone. I'm not sure how the Z (using Qtopia) works out the time offset, as I don't think it t has an /etc/localtime, so you may be right and the timezone may be specific to Qtopia (and therefore Qtopia Desktop) and stored elsewhere.

However I don't know, see whether anyone else can give you some firm information.

Si
rwan
Hi,

Thank you for your posts! Indeed, your first post was right. Qtopia desktop uses the date/time stored within Windows and I stupidly changed my computer's time manually rather than changing the timezone. I guess I don't use any other program that uses timezones, so I probably never would have known.

However, it is strange, though. Suppose I live in LA and I went to New York on a business trip for a 10 am meeting, which I enter into my Z. My desktop at home is going to remain on LA time. So, if I check my desktop, it's going to say that I have a 7 am appointment unless I look more carefully? Feels like I'm using this feature the wrong way...

Anyway, I did solve my problem. I kept looking around Qtopia desktop and didn't realise it was my Windows' settings. Thank you!

Ray
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.