Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kali insted of Debian on triple boot
OESF Portables Forum > Model Specific Forums > Gemini PDA > Gemini PDA - Linux OS
jovpov
First, interesting news:

Kali is now officially supported on Gemini:
https://docs.kali.org/kali-on-arm/kali-linux-gem-pda

Any ideas/advices how to leave Android and Sailfish partitions working and just replace Debian?
RSS
What a nice surprise! I passed my OSCP exam last week too. Just got done flashing it, Planet's new initial setup menu is much better. I don't think replacing Debian with Kali is possible due to the way Linux is "merged" with Android on the Gemini, but it should still be theoretically possible. Maybe try replacing "linux_root.img" and "linux_boot.img"? I do think you need a new scatter file though.
jovpov
Does it come with new Android version?

Hmm.. I am thinking how to backup existing Sailfish... and how to restore it if I flash whole Kali image...

or... just try to flash Linux over Debian... changing 2nd boot option (if it is possible)...
jovpov
QUOTE(jovpov @ Dec 5 2018, 08:26 AM) *
Does it come with new Android version?

Hmm.. I am thinking how to backup existing Sailfish... and how to restore it if I flash whole Kali image...

or... just try to flash Linux over Debian... changing 2nd boot option (if it is possible)...

Yes, I see new Android version... Now Android and Kali boots, Sailfish does not boot...

I have first made a backup of sailfish_boot and userdata.img
Then tried flashing only linux_root and linux_boot over existing triple boot Gemini... Didn't work.
Then flashed Kali but replaced root_boot with sailfish_boot and replaced userdata from backup...

Sailfish cannot boot... Maybe it shared data with old debian partition? Any ideas?
Rafn
Looks promising. What is working / not working on Kali?
ArchiMark
Think it is great that another distro is supported on Gemini.

However, for typical users (like me, for example...), I wonder if it better than using Debian?

Please read the Kali page regarding "Should I use Kali?"

https://docs.kali.org/introduction/should-i...-use-kali-linux

Interested in your thoughts on this....

Thanks,

Mark
Varti
I agree, the more distros the better, at least for distros made for specific purposes like Kali.

Varti
greguu
Kali is more suited for those that require advanced networking capabilities on their Gemini and are not shy of running things as root.

This is a great addition to Android and Sailfish, as it does cover networking features and tools these do not provide.
As I understand, Kali is flashed same as Gemian, requiring a fresh Android install as part of the partition change. (coming from stock layout)

I will hang in there until Oreo is available for the Gemini and Sailfish X for Gemini and hope Kali will be available as a stowaway or alongside Sailfish in one way or the other by then.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.