Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Japanese forum
OESF Forums > Everything Else > Site Specific Forums > Site Suggestions, Requests, and Updates
DrWowe
Just noticed something from the forums page:
 Asia ZUGs
Bangalore ZUG, Hong Kong ZUG, Indonesia ZUG, New Delhi ZUG, Philippine ZUG, Singapore/Malaysia ZUG

Something obvious seems missing... Plus it would be nice to have some people from Sharp's homebase visiting this site to tell the rest of us what we're missing. smile.gif
riki_nakamura
I was thinking of that too since I'm japanese plus why not a japanese one if sharp is from japan...?????
n8a
I'm pretty sure that those countries are there only b/c there were posters from those countries that requested it. I could be wrong, but that's my guess.
DrWowe
True. Maybe instead of a Japan local ZUG, there should just be a Japanese language forum (not regional). The idea is to encourage Japanese people to be interested in the site, so they come here and tell us about their cool toys. smile.gif
riki_nakamura
yep
riki_nakamura
I can type japanese on my computer and read it and so cause I have have a Windows ME japanese computer and it'd be great if I can talk with them adn get info...
Stubear
There are already a large number of Japanese sites related to Zaurus - most of them are wiki rather than forums, don't think there are a large number of Nihonjin that use this site - although tere are a number of lurkers cause I often see stuff echoed on other sites that originally cam from here.

Stu
Greg2
although tere are a number of lurkers cause I often see stuff echoed on other sites that originally cam from here.

I've noticed that to when I'm lurking on Japanese sites, and even with what gets lost in the translation by babelfish I still learn a lot.

Greg
offroadgeek
All of the Asia ZUG were indeed requested by a specific person (the moderator for each forum). I'd be happy to create either a Japan ZUG forum or just a seperate Japanese forum.

Just tell me what you want, and who wants to be the moderator.... I don't read/write Japanese so it can't be me!
rikiya
I would be able to be the moderator if anyone else can't... I can type, read, and so on my computer since it's a windows me japanese so if no one else would I would be able to! Maybe Stubear can help since he's bilingual like me..
Stubear
I'm willing to help - although my Japanese level is way below bilingual - without my kanji dictionary I can't even read the newspaper.

Stu
DrWowe
I won't be much help here. I don't currently know a single word or character, and I'm not starting "Japanese 1" until September... (after which I probably still won't be much help.) smile.gif
Anonymous
I'm all right though mostly just that I'm not keen on difficult kanji but I still read fluently.
ashikase
I was planning to post a request for a Japan/Japanese forum, and happened to stumble across this thread.

Whatever happened to this idea? Was a forum created and I'm perhaps just not noticing it?

I think a Japan forum would be rather useful for a few reasons:
- it would be a good place for questions pertaining to Japanese-learning/-related software
- there is a lot of Zaurus software/information/projects that are never heard of outside of Japan; a Japan forum might be a good place to collect such info
- most importantly: as Stubear said, there are apparently a number of Japanese lurkers on the board; if there was a section of the board that allowed for use of Japanese (i.e. kanji), it might entice some of the lurkers to post.

Any comments/opinions?

- ashikase
- anpachi, gifu, japan
ashikase
No interest?

- ashikase
- anpachi, gifu, japan
euroclie
QUOTE(ashikase @ Jul 4 2005, 09:18 AM)
I think a Japan forum would be rather useful for a few reasons:
- it would be a good place for questions pertaining to Japanese-learning/-related software
- there is a lot of Zaurus software/information/projects that are never heard of outside of Japan; a Japan forum might be a good place to collect such info
- most importantly: as Stubear said, there are apparently a number of Japanese lurkers on the board; if there was a section of the board that allowed for use of Japanese (i.e. kanji), it might entice some of the lurkers to post.

I agree with you: there are already a couple of regional forums for Asian countries, but no Japanese forum yet, despite the obvious fact that the Zaurus comes from that country and that it does have a community of dedicated developers and fans.

I vote in favor of such a forum creation. As you mentioned, Ashikase, maybe this would entice Japanese users to participate more to these discussions if they could start expressing themselves in Japanese (even though everyone else won't understand a single word), or at least discuss amongst Japanese users, which might be less intimidating.

And in the end, if a side effect of this is that we (non-Japanese users) get bits and pieces of news that usually don't make it outside of Japan, well, I wouldn't complain about that! wink.gif
Stubear
As I mentioned previously, I'm all for it

Stu
totsubo
Please add my vote such a forum creation. I'd especially like to get more information on input methods/etc.

I might be wrong but for my C3000 I don't thin there is any way for me to use a different OS or windowing manager without losing my Japanese dictionary and IME? Maybe some Japanese users have found a way around that?
Johnny Maas
I would also like to add my vote to create a Japan forum. It's hard to believe it was not created earlier.

~Johnny
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.