Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Linux Real Player?
OESF Portables Forum > General Forums > General Discussion
rikiya
Hi all.

I'd like to know if the Linux Real Player works on the SL-C860???

here's the website.
http://forms.real.com/real/player/unix/unix.html
Stubear
Nope, they don't have a arm binary so t won't run.

You could try Helix instead - I remember see a reprot about someone starting an arm port of helix

Stu
DrWowe
Maybe with qemu? That's an emulator that runs non native Linux binaries.
Greg2
Hi all.

I'm new to here

@rikiya ...aka ...riki_nakamura

You speak of loyalty to a product built of plastic and semiconductors and then use deception to post a lie to the people who helped you?

Greg
Stubear
I have yet to get qemu to run on arm, I'd love to here from anyone who has - want to run adom on the Z.

Stu
padishah_emperor
Hi all.

I'm new to here

@rikiya ...aka ...riki_nakamura

You speak of loyalty to a product built of plastic and semiconductors and then use deception to post a lie to the people who helped you?

Greg

eh?
whoosh..
I've missed something.. ;-)
Greg2
To get back on topic...

I visited the Helix community today and registered, D/L some development files and will try to help out some (with my limited time and knowledge of porting to Linux ARM) to make this work on a Z.

Greg smile.gif
ScottYelich
yes, I am also anxiously awaiting QEMU's arrival on the zaurus/arm ...

Scott
TonyOlsen
Is there another possible approach to it? I know that Macromedia Flash and RealNetwork worked together (I used to work at RealNetworks) and that Flash was going to start supporting Real Media inside the flash/shockwave files. So... if we could find a fully functional post of the Macromedia Flash and/or Shockwave plaers for the Z then maybe it could also play RealMedia somehow.

...I know it's a stretch... but it's the only Plan B I can think of.

It would be soooo cool to have RealMedia on my Zaurus. I listen to audio books which sounds great using RealAudio's 5 kbps audio codec... otherwise I would have to use 16 kbps MP3 which doesn't sound as good and would make my audio books 3x larger... and my CF cards have limited storage...

Little side note/subject: Is there any other audio compression, supperior to MP3 for tiny tiny files, which also runs on the Z? I'm anxious to port over my audio books. - Thanks. smile.gif
padishah_emperor
Is there another possible approach to it?  I know that Macromedia Flash and RealNetwork worked together (I used to work at RealNetworks) and that Flash was going to start supporting Real Media inside the flash/shockwave files.  So... if we could find a fully functional post of the Macromedia Flash and/or Shockwave plaers for the Z then maybe it could also play RealMedia somehow.

...I know it's a stretch... but it's the only Plan B I can think of.

It would be soooo cool to have RealMedia on my Zaurus.  I listen to audio books which sounds great using RealAudio's 5 kbps audio codec... otherwise I would have to use 16 kbps MP3 which doesn't sound as good and would make my audio books 3x larger... and my CF cards have limited storage...

Little side note/subject: Is there any other audio compression, supperior to MP3 for tiny tiny files, which also runs on the Z?  I'm anxious to port over my audio books.  - Thanks. smile.gif

I think when I had SuSE, it's RealPlayer was the default player for flash files, but it didn't play them well. Doesn't mplayer handle .rm files?
DrWowe
yes, I am also anxiously awaiting QEMU's arrival on the zaurus/arm ...
Scott

The qemu page claims that ARM support is in the "Testing" state (that's for ARM host support, which applies to the Zaurus") I hope that means it's close to working...

Also, don't forget that Linux binaries are very sensitive to their shared libraries. The ideal situation for qemu would be a staticly linked binary, or failing that, ALL shared libraries from the emulated architecture need to be copied over. It would be pretty much impossible to link an emulated x86 binary with an ARM shared library.

And of course, an X application needs an X server too. smile.gif

But I have high hopes for qemu in the long term.
Stubear
Tried cross-compiling qemu but have yet to even get ls or ash (statically linked) from i386 to run on the Z.
Maybe doing something wrong - I want to play adom on the Z

Stu
Pyrates
So, if you want to play adom, why don't you ask the author for the source so you can compile it for arm natively? I think he'd give it to you if you promise to keep it for yourself or so (that's how I understood the whole matter...). I'd be interested in a copy as well, but I'd also try to compile it if you don't feel like it, but just now I'm too busy, maybe in a week or so...

Cheers
Philipp
ScottYelich
qemu arm has been in the "testing" phase for as long as i've followed.
DrWowe
Does anyone know if mplayer and/or xine have their own reimplementation of the RP protocol? If so, that could be another avenue to pursue. On my laptop I have no problem playing Real streams with them, but I can't remember if they use a binary driver or not...
DrWowe
qemu arm has been in the "testing" phase for as long as i've followed.

It sounds like an opportunity for a motivated indivudual with a machine that runs Linux on an ARM processor to help finish the job...
TonyOlsen
There is "Real Alternative"... maybe the source could be recompiled for Zaurus?
Stubear
So, if you want to play adom, why don't you ask the author for the source so you can compile it for arm natively? I think he'd give it to you if you promise to keep it for yourself or so (that's how I understood the whole matter...). I'd be interested in a copy as well, but I'd also try to compile it if you don't feel like it, but just now I'm too busy, maybe in a week or so...

Cheers
Philipp

I'll try that but judging from feedback on usenet the author of adom is really possesive of his source code. There is already a request for improvemt to compile it for arm, but there's been little visible development on adom in the last year or so.
zaurusbs
https://helixcommunity.org/softwaremap/trov...hp?form_cat=326
and this
https://helixcommunity.org/projects/linuxarm/
doesn't seem to have gotten very far - anyone know anything about this?
main reason for my interest is this:
http://webjay.org/
this is basically how i listen to music (and watch video) on my desktop, and it would AMAZING to be able to do the same on my 5600. just curious if anyone's heard/seen any rumblings of a helix port.
CoreyC
Does anyone know if mplayer and/or xine have their own reimplementation of the RP protocol?  If so, that could be another avenue to pursue.  On my laptop I have no problem playing Real streams with them, but I can't remember if they use a binary driver or not...

mplayer, no. Xine has support for realplayer 1 & 2 files, pretty much obsolete now.

Porting helix will only give you the gui that is used with real player, with some support for a few odd audio/video formats that do not include real media files. What the helix community is waiting for is for the realplayer to be released as open source, something that has been promised for almost a year now but has never happened.
ThirtyOne
MPlayer will play Real files on Linux. It will not play on Zaurus.

This is what I do:

Use mencoder to take a rm stream and covert it to MPEG4 and drop it off in the /var/www/html directory of my apache server. Then I can stream over http to my zaurus, or copy the file to my zaurus later.
TonyOlsen
I take it you're runnig Linux on an x86. I believe the Windows Codecs (including the hacked RealPlayer codec used in "Real Alternative") aren't completely OS dependant, and so your MEncoder is using the actual, or hacked, Real Player codecs to decode the video before encoding it into MPEG4.
ScottYelich
huh?

tony: don't you have your wince device yet?
TonyOlsen
I don't have, nor am I planning on buying, any WinCE devices.
ThirtyOne
yes. you can install mplayer with the win32 codecs on Linux and play most Real and Windows Media content.

There is a Windows port, too but I have never used it.
TonyOlsen
So... the codecs are, for the most part, OS independant binary code.
Stubear
mplayer running on x86 will can use some (but not all yet) codecs from Windoze, however those codes will NOT run on the arm processor so they are useless for the Z.

Stu
TonyOlsen
Yes
lardman

Yes

No. That's the problem (I assume), otherwise we'd be able to use them too. That said, I don't really know how they can be loaded under Linux (I don't know what they actually are, but I'd assume ActiveX DLLs or the like).

Si
Anonymous
I don't know exactly how it works either, but my guess is that they are x86 binaries with known entry points in the DLL, so the linux code just finds the entry points and calls them. At any rate, mplayer for Linux WILL load and use win32 binary codecs which allows it to play most rm content.

There is supposed to be a helix port to arm to support the new motorolla smart phone that is Linux-based, but I have not seen any activity over there. That will be the best bet for NATIVE playback.

In the meantime, using my linux box and mencoder works best for getting RealMedia or WMV streams in a format that can be played on my z in near-real-time. I use it for live baseball and as long as I give it about a 20 minute delay it plays flawlessly.

ThirtyOne
TonyOlsen
Quote:

Quote:
Yes

No. That's the problem (I assume), otherwise we'd be able to use them too. That said, I don't really know how they can be loaded under Linux (I don't know what they actually are, but I'd assume ActiveX DLLs or the like).

Yes, that's what I mean't. The codecs are OS Independant (more or less), but I didn't say they were CPU independant. They ARE CPU dependant.

I said this because someone else mentioned that they're able to use the x86 Windows codec on their x86 Linux players. The x86 codecs may work on Linux and Windows... but it won't work on ARM because it would have to be recompiled for the ARM processor.

Why hasn't someone just cross-compiled the hacked RealPlayer codec? I know that it won't be optimized (floating point, etc), but at least it would work! And most of the stuff I want RealPlayer for is for tiny (40kbps or even 5kbps) video and audio files... which "should" still run despite the x86-to-ARM recompiling anti-optimizations.
lpotter
umm i was the one that started the linuxarm port of helix. As far as I know. audio codecs are working, but video doesn't on the zaurus (which isn't to say it won't). But it's simply a matter of someone with enough time to add the right bits.
The codecs cross compile just fine. Its the video window and integration of helix with qtopia thats missing.
and, btw. helix codecs ARE fixed point in the first place. Fixed point is always faster than floats.
TonyOlsen
and, btw. helix codecs ARE fixed point in the first place. Fixed point is always faster than floats.

Hurray! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.