Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vncviewer
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Model Specific Forums > 6000 - Tosa
Pages: 1, 2
smammon
Anyone had luck geting a vnc viewer working? Been trying to get the Opie-Keypebble version installed to no avail.

I must say I'm a bit dissapointed - purchased the Z mainly to run Kismet / Ethereal / VNC. So far I'm 0-3...
padishah_emperor
Maybe you should have done some research first? I use VNC TO my Z not vice versa so I haven't had that problem, plus I chose a C series. I'm sure Keypebble has been working on mine, did you know that it worked on a 6000 for fact?
benkrembs
Man.. that previous post sure knows how to make somebody feel good! sad.gif

The kernal has only recently been released, and due to the demand of those 3 apps, I hope it's only a matter of time until some hardcore hacker takes an interest gets those apps running for all us little people.

Any hardcore hackers out there up for a challenge?
CoreyC
I'm afraid it is gonna take some time. Many people who plan on getting the 6000 are holding out for a different version (wifi + bt?). And then there is that group of us who can't picture buying anything other than a clamshell.
Ian
I am using VNC (Keypebble) on a retail 6000 to run a retail 5600 (SDG Systems FBVNC). Is this what you mean? I'll try to attach a pic... - Ian.

coolass
I use keypebble vncviewer on my 6000 and it works great. First do a soft reset, next install lib opie from the oz stable sharp feed and vnc. Good luck. I also think people should stop putting down users for asking questions because that's what this forum is for.Mabye YOU should have done some research first
Snooby
I run Keypebble on my 5500, works fine
skoorb
Got kismet working on my 6000.
padishah_emperor
Ooops! my bad! :oops:

Didn't realise I sounded that terse, I write as I speak, sorry.

I meant if you (origial poster) bought a 6000 specifically for 3 apps, it may have been wise to verify all the required apps ran on the hardware you chose beforehand, well that's what I'd do. That's what I meant, but I like I say, I'm sure I had it working with my 860 as supplied by my importer, in which case it **should** work with a 6000.

HTH YMMV
duffman
Got kismet  working on my 6000.

How? smile.gif
skoorb
What is the problem with your kismet. I installed 3.01c-20031228 and kismet qt gui. Works fine as long as you set up your network to be ad hoc with no wep any channel with a bogus static ip scheme. The only problem I had was figuring out how to set up the network. I also installed wireless-tools 24, not sure if this was necessary.
skoorb
Change kismet.conf source to:

source=prism2,wlan0,prism2source
smammon
Ooops! my bad! :oops:  

Didn't realise I sounded that terse, I write as I speak, sorry.  

I meant if you (origial poster) bought a 6000 specifically for 3 apps, it may have been wise to verify all the required apps ran on the hardware you chose beforehand, well that's what I'd do. That's what I meant, but I like I say, I'm sure I had it working with my 860 as supplied by my importer, in which case it **should** work with a 6000.

HTH YMMV

None taken - been around the net too long to get my knickers in a knot on a fourum. Truth be told I sounded a little stinky about the 6k too...

Posts on this thread have me hopeful.

Still cannot get lib opie to install. Can you point me to a source that you know works? The one I've got is from http://www.openzaurus.org/official/stable/feed/ Can't get the package manager to recognize it.

I've been slaving with a 2.8 version of Kismet. I'll find the 3.0.1 build and start over as well.

Thanks much!
padishah_emperor
http://opie.handhelds.org/feed/sharprom/stable/latest/

Try there

It's all too easy to be misunderstood isn't it. But we're all cool, so that's ok. ;-)
smammon
 I installed 3.01c-20031228 and kismet qt gui.     Works fine as long as you set up your network to be ad hoc with no wep any channel with a bogus static ip scheme.  The only problem I had was figuring out how to set up the network.  I also installed wireless-tools 24, not sure if this was necessary.

Point us to where you got that version if you would...
smammon

Try there

It's all too easy to be misunderstood isn't it. But we're all cool, so that's ok.  ;-)

That did the trick! Opie installed and Keypebble is working!! Now I'm 1-2...
skoorb
http://zaurus.spy.org/feeds/zug/downloads/...0031228_arm.ipk

I am pretty sure that is where I got it from.

Any way to tell via console to be sure??
duffman
yes, that looked like the right place to get the version of kismet you have, though whe i installed it the installer software hinted that there were some package dependencies. What else do I need to install? You also said you have the qt kismet gui, what version and do you remember where you got it? Sorry for the barage of questions, just would like to get kismet working smile.gif
Scotts
I am having a problem getting kismet to work too. When kismet (3.0.1c from the link above) fires up it complains that it can't find libcap.so.0.7. I tried to install libpcap0_0.7.2-1_arm.ipk from several diffent sources and it tells me that it is not a gz file (must be for Open zaurus I guess). I have also tried to install libpcap_0.8.1_aj_arm.ipk so that I could maybe link it back to libcap_0.7.2. It installs fine but then I cant find any of the installed files (using 'find / -name *pcap*'). Any ideas on what I am doing wrong or where I can get a valid version of libpcap?

EDIT: I also tried kismet after I installed wireless-tools 24... still doesn't work.
padishah_emperor
That did the trick!  Opie installed and Keypebble is working!!  Now I'm 1-2...

:-) I'll install it today too, just for the novelty of seeing KDE running thru my Z.

You'll get there, all good things...
skoorb
That sounds familiar. I think I got my libpcap from the zug feed. A find on my zaurus shows a symlink at /home/QtPalmtop/lib

lrwxrwxrwx 1 zaurus qpe 16 Jan 1 05:13 libpcap.so.0 -> libpcap.so.0.7.2. I may have put that symlink in there manually.

I found this libpcap file on my pc and uploaded it to the web. Maybe try it. It's avail here http://members.cox.net/skoorb/libpcap0_0.7.2_arm.ipk

I should have paid more attention to what I had to do to install kismet.
Scotts
That did it, It's working like a charm. Thanks for the help!

BTW I didn't have to put the symlink in manually.
skoorb
excellent
cvmiller

Thanks, with that, the libpcap, and libstdc++ (from http://zaurus.xavierxeon.de/devel/gcc/libs....1-2-2.10.0.so) was able to get Kismet working on my SL-6000 as well.

Interestly enough, in the text based interface the keyboard keys (just as h, and Q) don't work. I have to ^C to quit Kismet. Using the Kismet Qt GUI everything works fine.

Thanks for the tips, and pointers!

Craig...
smammon
Thanks, with that, the libpcap, and libstdc++ (from http://zaurus.xavierxeon.de/devel/gcc/libs....1-2-2.10.0.so) was able to get Kismet working on my SL-6000 as well.
Craig...

Where did you put libstdc? Did you link it to another name?

(yes I'm keeping copious notes for a HOWTO btw...)
cvmiller
Where did you put libstdc? Did you link it to another name?
(yes I'm keeping copious notes for a HOWTO btw...)

The Short answer is /usr/lib :
/usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3 -> /mnt/card/QtPalmtop/lib/libstdc++-3-libc6.1-2-2.10.0.so

The longer answer is I have 2 types of apps, ones I can't live without (such as terminal), and all the others I put on my SD card. Since Kismet won't let me install on the SD card, I put as much as possible on the SD card, like this library. Kismet 3.0 was asking for this library by another name (libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3) so creating the link seemed be a natural solution to both problems (new name, and stored on the SD card).

Let me know when you post your How-To, I'd like to compare it to my notes.

Craig...
duffman
The Short answer is /usr/lib :
/usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3 -> /mnt/card/QtPalmtop/lib/libstdc++-3-libc6.1-2-2.10.0.so

I noticed the same thing, I linked it and everything worked fine for me as well.
benkrembs
Wow.. you guys really know your stuff!

Kinda hard for a newbie to follow too much of this thread.. any chance of someone posting a HOW TO in the near future?

-Ben
jerbell
The keboard doesnt work with that kismet becasue it was compiled without panels support. Kismet works as expected if you compile kismet_client with panels support, but its 11 megs vs only 500k for the ncurses only version...
smammon
<dhoh!> (slapping head) I tried to create a link last night - In my late night frustration didn't notice that I blew the command. Typed it correctly tonight and bang! I'm war-walkin...

I will sit here right now and write the first pass at the howto so I don't forget or put it off... THANK YOU everyone that plinked away at this!
smammon
Version .01 is in the wiki...

http://www.zaurususergroup.com/modules.php...0the%20SL-6000L

Let me know if I missed/messed/misspelled please!

I will most likely put all of those packages on a website of my own as well however I will soon be changing hosting providers so it will hardly pay at this point.

Thanks again!
cvmiller
The keboard doesnt work with that kismet becasue it was compiled without panels support. Kismet works as expected  if you compile kismet_client with panels support,  but its 11 megs vs only 500k for the ncurses only version...

Well I figured that out when I changed the kismet_ui.conf to panels. But my old Kismet (2.4.6) on my SL-5500 works in Cursors mode just fine. So I assumed this one would as well. Perhaps there is something else not compiled in.

It isn't really an issue, I was just used to the text based interface, but since the GUI works I get to learn something new! :-)

Thanks to all for pulling all the pieces together. I look forward to seeing the How-To as well.

Craig...
cvmiller
Version .01 is in the wiki...

http://www.zaurususergroup.com/modules.php...0the%20SL-6000L

Let me know if I missed/messed/misspelled please!  

Looks Great!

A couple of comments. I prefer to make symbolic links rather than hard links, only because it is easier to figure out what is linked to what with a "ls -l" Certainly the hard link will work just fine

Second, I didn't have to do any resets (soft or other wise) in my installation. I don't think any should be necessary.

Lastly, I set up my Kismet QT to run as root. With the Sharp ROM an error message "Can't Connect to Server" will appear if not run as root.

Really Lastly, you may want to explain why a ad-hoc network profile has to be setup. The reason is, for those who don't know, the network applet will time out after not finding an AP to join. Setting the network to Ad-Hoc means the Z is now an AP, and it will not time out.

Great Stuff! It would be nice if these packages to be hosted on this site, just in case the other sites disappear.

Craig...
jerbell
I set the panels version of kismet_client to use curses and the keyboard didn't work with it either. Maybe its because I'm using the built in ncurses (v4.2) instead of ncurses5. Anyway it works when set to panels so I'm happy. The QT GUI lacks some stuff, especially if your using a gps with kismet.
glacier
to re-open this topic...

I'm looking for the keypebble vncviewer, but cannot find it. The download links on this page: http://www.killefiz.de/zaurus/showdetail.php?app=186 are broken. Google searches bring me no joy either. Anyone have a pointer for me?
smammon
Looks like 1.0.1 is depricated.... try this one:

http://opie.handhelds.org/feed/openzaurus/...e_1.0.3_arm.ipk

Haven't tried it as 1.0.1 works for me.
glacier
Thank you for the pointer to the 1.0.3 version.

Unfortunately, the installer on my SL-6000L refuses to install it. While I can verify that the file is in the proper location (same place I've installed many apps in the last 48 hours), the installler doesn't even see it. Using another techique, double tapping the ipk in the file manager, the installer app opens but then does not install the app. Again, it doesn't even show in the list of ipk files in the install_files directory.

got a pointer to the 1.0.1 file anywhere?

-lars
Ling
QUOTE(glacier @ Jul 30 2004, 09:29 AM)
to re-open this topic...

I'm looking for the keypebble vncviewer, but cannot find it. The download links on this page: http://www.killefiz.de/zaurus/showdetail.php?app=186 are broken. Google searches bring me no joy either. Anyone have a pointer for me?

I had the same problem. I got keypebble for my 860 from the feeds. It has been several weeks and I don't remember which one.
witzgall
QUOTE(smammon @ Apr 26 2004, 05:21 AM)

Try there

It's all too easy to be misunderstood isn't it. But we're all cool, so that's ok.  ;-)

I have not been able to find a keeble install that works. Could anyone point me to a location where I can download one that does work on the SL-6000?

If you do, please let me know which version of lib opie I need as well.

Thanks in advance,
Chris biggrin.gif
dlee27
QUOTE(witzgall @ Oct 11 2004, 08:25 PM)
QUOTE(smammon @ Apr 26 2004, 05:21 AM)

Try there

It's all too easy to be misunderstood isn't it. But we're all cool, so that's ok.  ;-)

I have not been able to find a keeble install that works. Could anyone point me to a location where I can download one that does work on the SL-6000?

If you do, please let me know which version of lib opie I need as well.

Thanks in advance,
Chris biggrin.gif

I finally found the keypebble that works for the 6000 after hours of google search. It's old 1.0.0 version for sharprom that was removed from the opie website. It works great. I don't know why they removed this version from the opie website and do not give us the new one. Since it works I don't have any complaint. If anyone need it just send me an email. Thanks.
f_pascua
Hi,

Can anybody point me to where I can find the keypebble vncviewer for sharp rom version 1.0.0. I believe this is the stable release but its not on the feed anymore.

Thanks in advance.
xjqian
old working version of Keypebble needed, anybody? TIA
xjqian
Stupid question, I can't get keypebble (above) to connect to the VNC server,

I tried to put the following IP into the "host name" of Keypebble, but it complains about "can't find host"

192.168.0.4 (win XP home, local LAN IP)

Anything I need to configure on the server (win XP) side? (btw, I used RealVNC 4.0, server service mode, default setting)
selfabuse
xjqian - what's your subnet mask set to? If it's a regular ol' 255.255.255.0, those two devices won't see each other. It it's 255.255.0.0 or better you should be good though.
lek
QUOTE(xjqian @ Dec 21 2004, 11:46 AM)
Stupid question, I can't get keypebble (above) to connect to the VNC server,

I tried to put the following IP into the "host name" of Keypebble,  but it complains about "can't find host"

192.168.0.4 (win XP home, local LAN IP)

Anything I need to configure on the server (win XP) side? (btw, I used RealVNC 4.0, server service mode, default setting)

Hi xjqian,
were you able to get around your problem? If you did would you let me know what you did? I seem to be having a similar connection issue, though I am working through a wireless add-hoc network.

Cheers,
lek
xjqian
lek,

no, I can't get it to work even manually configured. I don't have much time to play with it though. please let me know if you have any luck with it.

Btw, I'm a little confused though, do I need to type in the IP? As if I use my Zaurus as a VNC server, on my desktop side, I only need to provide the host name "zaurus".
lek
QUOTE(xjqian @ Jan 23 2005, 05:48 AM)
lek,

no, I can't get it to work even manually configured. I don't have much time to play with it though. please let me know if you have any luck with it.

Btw, I'm a little confused though, do I need to type in the IP?  As if I use my Zaurus as a VNC server, on my desktop side, I only need to provide the host name "zaurus".

Hi xjqian, Thanks for getting back to me.
If you are on a network, and you are connecting using the network, then the name "zaurus" would need to be in the DNS with a specific IP address. If "zaurus" is not in the DNS you should use an IP address from the network you are using. Is it on a private (non routeable) network that you have set up (in which case give yourself an additional IP address. You can setup your own DNS later), or an office/university LAN/WAN? You may need to have the local admin give you a routeable IP address for you zaurus, and have him/her put the IP in the DNS.

Cheers,
lek
dping28
QUOTE(lek @ Jan 23 2005, 08:34 AM)
If you are on a network, and you are connecting using the network, then the name "zaurus" would need to be in the DNS with a specific IP address.  If "zaurus" is not in the DNS you should use an IP address from the network you are using.  Is it on a private (non routeable) network  that you have set up (in which case give yourself an additional IP address. You can setup your own DNS later), or an office/university LAN/WAN?  You may need to have the local admin give you a routeable IP address for you zaurus, and have him/her put the IP in the DNS.

Cheers,
lek

Couldnt xjqian also just go into the host file and add the name zaurus and the ip address for it so in windows he can use the host name?
lek
QUOTE(dping28 @ Jan 23 2005, 12:52 PM)
QUOTE(lek @ Jan 23 2005, 08:34 AM)
If you are on a network, and you are connecting using the network, then the name "zaurus" would need to be in the DNS with a specific IP address.  If "zaurus" is not in the DNS you should use an IP address from the network you are using.  Is it on a private (non routeable) network  that you have set up (in which case give yourself an additional IP address. You can setup your own DNS later), or an office/university LAN/WAN?  You may need to have the local admin give you a routeable IP address for you zaurus, and have him/her put the IP in the DNS.

Cheers,
lek

Couldnt xjqian also just go into the host file and add the name zaurus and the ip address for it so in windows he can use the host name?

Yes, I suppose so. I am afraid that I do not know that much about the way MS Windows is srtuctured, or whether it has a host file as a UNIX box would. Most of my work has been with FreeBSD (and some Linux.)
Yes, that would certainly work. smile.gif

Cheers,
lek
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.