Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: install into the root of SD card
OESF Portables Forum > General Forums > General Discussion
white_angelbreath
How do I install files into the root of my SD card? How can I tell if it is the root of my SD-card?

I'm using a Zaurus Sl-C700 with 64 SD card
white_angelbreath
I would like to install the Cacko Qtopia English ROM 1.21... I have already downloaded the file and unzipped it. My problem is how to install the 3 files into the root of my SD card. When I looked into my SD card inserted into my PC I can see there are folders such as Install Files... Is that where I should install the files or otherwise?

Please help!
lardman
'/mnt/card' is the root of your SD card, '/mnt/cf' is the root of your CF card.

Si
lardman
If you're using a card reader to do this (on a Windows machine for example), then just stick all of the files on the G: drive (or whatever Windows calls the card reader).

Si
padishah_emperor
The SD card should be freshly formatted before doing a flash from it, but I said to you before I use CF cards for installing ROMs.

You didn't tell me yesterday what desktop OS you run, so I will guess it's a Windows-type. You should copy off any valueable data from the card to your hard disk, then format the SD card, like you would format a floppy. Are you using an external card reader? Some card readers have their own formatters. It's best to format the card, I've had some problems with unformatted cards, you won't want to run into additional problems doing something like this.

Once the card is blank, drag-n-drop the 3 files to it. This shouldn't be anymore difficult than copying to a floppy disk. They should be the only 3 files on the card.

Give it a try and let us know.
white_angelbreath
hi! I already installed the Cacko Qtopia ROM 1.21 and 1.21a! Great ROM! I used an SD card to save the 3 files necessary to install Cacko in my Zaurus. What I did was to erase all the files inside the SD card and just put the 3 files there (I haven't found the root until now. I don't know where it is exactly!) and luckily followed the directions and viola! hehehe Great Cacko ROM better than my old original SHARP ROM!

Thanks for all the support and help!
padishah_emperor
Glad you did it!!
A bit nerve-racking the first time, but it's worth it.

Enjoy your upgraded Z!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.