Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WarCraft on the Zaurus (640x480)? "FreeCraft" or &
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Everything Development > Qt/Qtopia
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
TonyOlsen
Did I get your attention? smile.gif There are opensource movements to get a WarCraft II clone. (I wasn't sure which forum to put this in)

This thread is for discussing that. It is a break-off from the http://www.zaurususergroup.com/index.php?n...er=asc&start=15 thread.

Here's the last comment I made in that thread.

Anyone want to try recompiling FreeCraft (now known as Stratagus) for the Zaurus?

http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/tmp/wargus/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/stratagus/
http://www.happypenguin.org/show?FreeCraft
http://www.bebits.com/app/2994
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/games/freecraft <-- Already compiled for ARM?
http://stratagus.sourceforge.net/screenshots.shtml
etc..

Also:

http://sourceforge.net/search/ (search for "stratagus")

This is the open-source version of "War Craft II". Anyone else drooling over the idea of having War Craft II (rated the best computer games for a number of years) on their Zaurus?
omega
Hey Tony,

I will be very interested in trying to get emulators running, along with many games once i get my c860. Unfortunately it seems to have been lost by USPS on its way over to Ireland.

I like the idea of getting many full games running. Have you checked out ScummVM?
omega
Would it be at all feasible to try and get the original command & conquer to run on one of these emulators? I'm going to look now to see if anyone has make a port or an open source equivalent. TonyOlsen, what machine and os are you running?
TonyOlsen
Have you checked out ScummVM?

I installed it, but the installation says it needs some additional libraries, and it didn't run when I tried to open it (the screen switched to 240x320 mode and said something like "Please Wait..." and then, a few seconds later, switch back to the 640x480 screen). This has happened before with other applications when I fail to install a needed library... but I haven't had time to look further into it...

TonyOlsen, what machine and os are you running?

QTopia on Zaurus SL-C860. I guess I should put my specs in my signature like everyone else. I'll go update that...

I'm glad to see, from the poll, that there are at least a few people out there who would be interested in having WarCraft II on their Zaurus. smile.gif
TonyOlsen
Has anyone tried going to the one link above where they claim to already have ARM binaries?
ced
I've compiled SDL 1.2.7 and I've tried to compile "Stratagus" but I'm getting this during the linking of the stratagus binary:

CODE
arm-linux-gcc -o stratagus src/action/obj/action_attack.o src/action/obj/action_board.o src/action/obj/action_build.o src/action/obj/action_die.o src/action/obj/action_follow.o src/action/obj/action_move.o src/action/obj/action_patrol.o src/action/obj/action_repair.o src/action/obj/action_research.o src/action/obj/action_resource.o src/action/obj/action_returngoods.o src/action/obj/action_spellcast.o src/action/obj/action_stand.o src/action/obj/action_still.o src/action/obj/action_train.o src/action/obj/action_unload.o src/action/obj/action_upgradeto.o src/action/obj/actions.o src/action/obj/command.o src/ai/obj/ai_building.o src/ai/obj/ai_force.o src/ai/obj/ai_magic.o src/ai/obj/ai_plan.o src/ai/obj/ai_resource.o src/ai/obj/script_ai.o src/ai/obj/ai.o src/beos/obj/beos.o src/stratagus/obj/script.o src/stratagus/obj/script_player.o src/stratagus/obj/stratagus.o src/stratagus/obj/construct.o src/stratagus/obj/groups.o src/stratagus/obj/iolib.o src/stratagus/obj/mainloop.o src/stratagus/obj/player.o src/stratagus/obj/pud.o src/stratagus/obj/selection.o src/stratagus/obj/spells.o src/stratagus/obj/script_spell.o src/editor/obj/script_editor.o src/editor/obj/editloop.o src/editor/obj/editor.o src/editor/obj/edmap.o src/game/obj/campaign.o src/game/obj/game.o src/game/obj/intro.o src/game/obj/loadgame.o src/game/obj/savegame.o src/game/obj/trigger.o src/libmodplug/obj/fastmix.o src/libmodplug/obj/load_669.o src/libmodplug/obj/load_amf.o src/libmodplug/obj/load_ams.o src/libmodplug/obj/load_dbm.o src/libmodplug/obj/load_dmf.o src/libmodplug/obj/load_dsm.o src/libmodplug/obj/load_far.o src/libmodplug/obj/load_it.o src/libmodplug/obj/load_j2b.o src/libmodplug/obj/load_mdl.o src/libmodplug/obj/load_med.o src/libmodplug/obj/load_mod.o src/libmodplug/obj/load_mt2.o src/libmodplug/obj/load_mtm.o src/libmodplug/obj/load_okt.o src/libmodplug/obj/load_psm.o src/libmodplug/obj/load_ptm.o src/libmodplug/obj/load_s3m.o src/libmodplug/obj/load_stm.o src/libmodplug/obj/load_ult.o src/libmodplug/obj/load_umx.o src/libmodplug/obj/load_wav.o src/libmodplug/obj/load_xm.o src/libmodplug/obj/mmcmp.o src/libmodplug/obj/modplug.o src/libmodplug/obj/snd_dsp.o src/libmodplug/obj/snd_flt.o src/libmodplug/obj/snd_fx.o src/libmodplug/obj/sndfile.o src/libmodplug/obj/sndmix.o src/libmodplug/obj/tables.o src/map/obj/script_map.o src/map/obj/script_tileset.o src/map/obj/map.o src/map/obj/map_draw.o src/map/obj/map_fog.o src/map/obj/map_rock.o src/map/obj/map_save.o src/map/obj/map_wall.o src/map/obj/map_wood.o src/map/obj/minimap.o src/map/obj/tileset.o src/missile/obj/script_missile.o src/missile/obj/missile.o src/movie/obj/avi.o src/movie/obj/movie.o src/movie/vp31/obj/BlockMapping.o src/movie/vp31/obj/DCT_decode.o src/movie/vp31/obj/DDecode.o src/movie/vp31/obj/DFrameR.o src/movie/vp31/obj/DSystemDependant.o src/movie/vp31/obj/FrameIni.o src/movie/vp31/obj/Frarray.o src/movie/vp31/obj/Huffman.o src/movie/vp31/obj/IDctPart.o src/movie/vp31/obj/Quantize.o src/movie/vp31/obj/Reconstruct.o src/movie/vp31/obj/YUVtofromRGB.o src/movie/vp31/obj/dct_globals.o src/movie/vp31/obj/pb_globals.o src/movie/vp31/obj/postproc.o src/movie/vp31/obj/unpack.o src/movie/vp31/obj/vfwPback.o src/movie/vp31/obj/vfwpbdll_if.o src/network/obj/commands.o src/network/obj/lowlevel.o src/network/obj/master.o src/network/obj/netconnect.o src/network/obj/network.o src/pathfinder/obj/astar.o src/pathfinder/obj/script_pathfinder.o src/pathfinder/obj/pathfinder.o src/pathfinder/obj/splitter.o src/pathfinder/obj/splitter_debug.o src/pathfinder/obj/splitter_lowlevel.o src/pathfinder/obj/splitter_zoneset.o src/sound/obj/arts_audio.o src/sound/obj/script_sound.o src/sound/obj/cdaudio.o src/sound/obj/flac.o src/sound/obj/libcda.o src/sound/obj/mad.o src/sound/obj/music.o src/sound/obj/ogg.o src/sound/obj/oss_audio.o src/sound/obj/sdl_audio.o src/sound/obj/sound.o src/sound/obj/sound_id.o src/sound/obj/sound_server.o src/sound/obj/unitsound.o src/sound/obj/wav.o src/sound/obj/cdda.o src/ui/obj/botpanel.o src/ui/obj/button_checks.o src/ui/obj/script_ui.o src/ui/obj/console.o src/ui/obj/icons.o src/ui/obj/interface.o src/ui/obj/mainscr.o src/ui/obj/menu_proc.o src/ui/obj/menus.o src/ui/obj/mouse.o src/ui/obj/ui.o src/unit/obj/script_unit.o src/unit/obj/script_unittype.o src/unit/obj/depend.o src/unit/obj/unit_ai.o src/unit/obj/unit_save.o src/unit/obj/unittype.o src/unit/obj/upgrade.o src/unit/obj/unit.o src/unit/obj/unit_draw.o src/unit/obj/unit_find.o src/unit/obj/unit_cache.o src/video/obj/cursor.o src/video/obj/deco.o src/video/obj/font.o src/video/obj/graphic.o src/video/obj/linedraw.o src/video/obj/png.o src/video/obj/sdl.o src/video/obj/sprite.o src/video/obj/sweepline.o src/video/obj/video.o etlib/obj/hash.o -lpng -lz -lm -L/opt/Embedix/tools/arm-linux/lib -Wl,-rpath,/opt/Embedix/tools/arm-linux/lib -lSDL -lpthread  -lm -lz   -ldl -llua -llualib -lm  -lz -lm -lqte -lqpe -L/opt/Embedix/tools/arm-linux/lib -L/opt/Qtopia/sharp/lib -I. -O2 -pipe -fsigned-char -fomit-frame-pointer -fexpensive-optimizations -ffast-math -I./src/include  -I./src/movie/vp31/include -DUSE_LIBMODPLUG -DUSE_HP_FOR_XP -DMAP_REGIONS -O2 -pipe -fsigned-char -fomit-frame-pointer -fexpensive-optimizations -ffast-math -DUSE_SDL -DUSE_SDLA -I/opt/Embedix/tools/arm-linux/include/SDL -D_REENTRANT -DDISABLE_X11 -DQT_QWS_EBX -DQT_QWS_CUSTOM -DQWS -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -Wall -W -DNO_DEBUG -g -O2 -DUSE_LUA '-DVERSION="2.0"' -DUSE_ZLIB  -DWITH_SOUND -I/opt/Embedix/tools/arm-linux/include -I/opt/Qtopia/sharp/include

/opt/Embedix/tools/arm-linux/lib/crt1.o: In function `_start':

/opt/Embedix/tools/arm-linux/lib/crt1.o(.text+0x2c): undefined reference to `main'

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

make: *** [stratagus] Error 1
TonyOlsen
Let's get the post-er of that source code involved in this thread. Maybe he/she can shed some light on this. Maybe there are some libraries that are also needed...

In one of the link at the top they claim to have already compile ARM binaries. Has anyone looked at that?
ced
I've finally compiled Stratagus, anyone want it?
Don't know how to use it... ;-)
ronba
You must use CD warcraft2 version DOS and wargus-2.0pre1.tar (http://wargus.sourceforge.net/download.html) .
In the tar there is a script build.bat for windows and build.sh for linux , this file will allow you to catch the data of CD of warcraft 2 , the result of script is a directory data.wc2 , to copy this directory data.wc2 in SD or CF.
To launch stratagus :
stratagus -d /mnt/card/data.wc2
or
stratagus -d /mnt/cf/data.wc2
and victory .......Warcraft 2 on Z.....It's beautiful......
:wink:
Ethereal
I've finally compiled Stratagus, anyone want it?
Don't know how to use it... ;-)

Yes, please biggrin.gif
ced
I've tried to load the game "magnant" but I haven't got enough memory... (I can see the splash screen behind the memory dialog box)

You need the SDL and Lua libraries on your system.

you need to start the game (in 640x480) like this:

CODE
./stratagus -d <path the game data> -v 1

if you specify
CODE
-v 6
then it should render in 320x240 (I've hacked the source code...)
BalroG
Woohoo! This sounds great!

A nicely documented procedure seems like just the thing to get this to a wider audience maybe?

Who will host the war2 image :-) ? Wonder if Blizzard still worries about copyright in WC2?

Does it play with decent speed???

Sounds like just the thing to impress people with my C860 when it FINALLY arraves! :-)
TonyOlsen
I can't get the wartool.exe to create the data.wc2 file. I typed:

CODE
wartool D:DATA

Detected UK/Australian original DOS CD

Please be patient, the data may take a couple of minutes to extract...

It then ends after a few seconds. No errors or anything. What did I miss? Can the data.wc2 file be called something else?

I bought my copy of WarCraft II a couple of years ago (I bought the battlechest which included WC1, WC2, and Expansion Set)... could I just get the wc2 file from someone? online?

Thanks! smile.gif
TonyOlsen
I tried running the stratagus attached to this forum on my QTopia. I tried running it without any parameters and this is what I got:

CODE
bash-2.05$ ./stratagus

/?stratagus: error while loading shared libraries: libz.so.1: cannot load shared object file: No such file or directory

libz.so.1?!? Is that a PDAXRom library? Was this compiled to work with QTopia?
bluedevils
libz.so and libz.so.1 is part of a compression library (zlib). I usually need it to work with openssl and openssh. I see that it is on my tkcrom and I imagine it would be present for any ROM that has openssh.
TonyOlsen
You need the SDL and Lua libraries on your system.  

LUA library? Was this engine written in Lua? Do I only need to copy the LUA library file to my user lib directory?
TonyOlsen
libz.so and libz.so.1 is part of a compression library (zlib).  

So, should I be looking for zlib or libz.so.1? I'm searching for this file on google, etc...
TonyOlsen
Ah.... http://www.killefiz.de/zaurus/showdetail.php?app=386 (The ZLib installer ipk)
TonyOlsen
Ok... now it says:

CODE
./stratagus: error while loading shared libraries: liblua.so: cannot load shared object file: No such file or directory

I downloaded lua_5.0.2_arm, (from http://www.killefiz.de/zaurus/showdetail.php?app=1916) but it appears to be an executable and not a library. Where do I get the needed LUA libraries?
TonyOlsen
I downloaded the Lua libraries ( lua_0.4_arm.ipk ) from http://zaurus.zefamily.org/files/. (I hope that's the correct file/version).

I reran stratagus by itself and it is improving... smile.gif

CODE
bash-2.05$ ./stratagus

Display size = 480x640

could not open translation file /home/QtPalmtop//i18n/zh_TW/lib1.qmid

filename:/home/QtPalmtop/lib/fonts/arial_140_50_t10.qpf

fontName:lcfont , size:10

Display size = 480x640

Maybe those will clear up when I run stratagus with the actual Data.wc2 file and with the correct parameters mentioned above.
tecknobabble
Ok... now it says:

CODE
./stratagus: error while loading shared libraries: liblua.so: cannot load shared object file: No such file or directory

I downloaded lua_5.0.2_arm, (from http://www.killefiz.de/zaurus/showdetail.php?app=1916) but it appears to be an executable and not a library.  Where do I get the needed LUA libraries?
Unforuntately that appears to be a lua interpreter and not a shared library....
tecknobabble
Make no promises about this as I've not tried/tested it or ever used lua but I downloaded the source and cross compiled it.... and here's the shared library you appear to need. Unzip it and make sure it has 755 permissions.

Good Luck biggrin.gif
TonyOlsen
Any ideas why WarGus doesn't create the needed .wc2 file I need?
Ethereal
OK, I've installed libSDL-1.2.so.0 and the liblua.so provided by tecknobabble, but now I get:
# ./stratagus -d ./data.wc2/ -v 6
QSocket::writeBlock: Socket is not open
No Qt/Embedded server appears to be running.
If you want to run this program as a server,
add the "-qws" command-line option.

It's not asking for the zlib's; but how do I get around this?
zbones
Ok, I get different errors to you, I already had zlib and the sdl stuff and installed the liblua.so provided by tecknobabble,
and I get
CODE
SLSharedManager: can't get proc entry

Display size = 480x640

./stratagus: error while loading sharedlibrariesL ./stratagus: undefined symbol: lua_open

Does liblua.so also require links like liblua.so.0 etc?

It is finding liblua.so as the error message changed when I copied it into /home/QtPalmtop/lib and it is 755 too.

I did say in another thread that warcraft2 would not run on the zaurus, but I woud love to be proved wrong biggrin.gif

Peter.
zbones
I downloaded the Lua libraries ( lua_0.4_arm.ipk ) from http://zaurus.zefamily.org/files/.  (I hope that's the correct file/version).

I have now switched the liblua binary to this one, and get the following.

CODE
./stratagus -d ./data.wc2 -v 6

Display size = 480x640

Display size = 480x640

edit, just rebooted and now I don't get the errors anymore, just two lines saying "Display size = 480x640" a quick flash of the screen and then my prompt comes back.

echo $? returns error code 255.

Hmm
TonyOlsen
Do you have the needed Data.wc2 director/file? I can't figure out how to create mine. Has anyone else been able to use the WarGus to create a Data.wc2 directory/file?... on an Intel Windows machine? Please help...
Ethereal
zBones: I think you want to use -v 1, not -v 6 (which ced posted as the setting for a 240 x 320 screen).
Ethereal
Tony Olsen: I D/L'd (from http://wargus.sourceforge.net/download.html) the "Windows Binary and Source," whcih was wargus2.0-pre1.zip, unzipped it, and (With my WC2 CD in the drive) ran "build.bat," which said something about detecting an original US DOS CD, and then "Please be patient, extraction will take a while." When it exited, the data.wc2 directory had been created in the same directory as build.bat.
TonyOlsen
I suspect the lua driver I found on the web (see above) works. I no longer get any lua error messages. I suspect that the one compiled above has a problem with it (because of the socket errors).

I think that the Windows WarGus makes a "data" directory, whereas the other os makes a "data.wc2" directory. That would explain my confusion. I suspect I have the data files I need.

I think the problem is the screen resolution. When I try running it I keep getting 1 or 2 error messages that say:

CODE
Display size = 480x640

If you type

CODE
./stratagus -h

...you get the help screen. V=1 is 640x480, and 2,3,4, and 5 go up from there. I think that WarGus thinks that my screen is 480x640, even though I'm running terminal in landscape mode, and it says it can't run it. When I switch to 480x640 mode, it doesn't say the display error message, but it gives other error messages.

Why does stratagus think I'm in 480x640 mode when I'm actually in 640x480 mode? Is it getting that reading incorrectly from somewhere? I suspect that if I can change it, it should work.

What do you think?
TonyOlsen
Ethereal,

That's the difference. About 10 years ago a friend gave me a cracked copy of WarCraft II (doesn't require the CD). I played it and loved it. About 1 year later I finally bought the game (to ease my conscience), but I never actually used the CD... I continued playing the cracked version (only 16 MB and no CD required). That was 9 years and 8 moves ago... I haven't seen that CD in ages, although I DO have the cracked game still. Apparently (from my post above) my cracked game came from Australia or UK, even though my CDs were US.

I already bought the game once (and actually, all I wanted was WarCraft II, but it wasn't sold by itself anymore, so I had to buy the whole battlechest instead... even though I didn't care for WarCraft I and wasn't really interested in the expension set.). I really don't want ot have to buy it again... Can anyone talk to me offline and see if I can get a copy of your "data.wc2" directory?
Ethereal
Auughh! My worst nightmare--the silent failure!

OK, I was getting an "undefined symbol: lua_open" error with tecknobabble's liblua, so I changed to the lua_0.4_arm.ipk, and now

# ./stratagus -d ./data.wc2 -v 6

yields...nothing! The screen on the Z flickers (not even long enough to display a perceptible start screen) and the prompt comes back, with no further messages from stratagus. Nothing in /var/log/messages, either.

Help, please--not only does it not work, but now there's no error message to troubleshoot!
lucho
I couldn't make the stratagus binary posted here running. I compiled lua and stratagus from the sources. stratagus runs (or at least it thinks it does smile.gif, but I see garbage on the screen, garbage out of the speaker. It kinda look like the real warcraft screen, so I suspect it is working fine.

I suspect that the problem is with SDL. Which SDL package are you guys using on SL-CXX0 (Sharp ROM)?
zbones
I tried running it with the bos data pack (which works on my pc) and get the same, ie nothing with or without -v.

-e does the same (should launch the editor)

I am using the 1.2.6-zports_c7x0-1 libsdl (from package manager) and ceds compile of stratagus.

If i type echo $? to get the return code it is always 255, that is the only hint of an error message I get.

lucho, how about posting your binaries for us to test?

They seem to get a little further.

Peter.
zbones
I think the problem is the screen resolution.  When I try running it I keep getting 1 or 2 error messages that say:

CODE
Display size = 480x640

Why does stratagus think I'm in 480x640 mode when I'm actually in 640x480 mode?  Is it getting that reading incorrectly from somewhere?  I suspect that if I can change it, it should work.

That's not an error message, and it is coming from sdl.

It is a minor issue due to the fact that your screen is rotated and can be easily fixed with environment variables, if the game worked that is.
lucho
Here is my binary. It doesn't depend on SDL or lua -- they are linked statically. The SDL library I used is 1.2.7 downloaded from the SDL website.
lucho
I just compiled stratagus to use shared libSDL and tried it with libSDL_1.2.6-zports_c7x0-1_arm.ipk -- it worked! smile.gif)

Here is the new binary:
zbones
I just compiled stratagus to use shared libSDL and tried it with libSDL_1.2.6-zports_c7x0-1_arm.ipk -- it worked! smile.gif)

That doesn't quite work for me, but only because my data directory is wrong. I just get a load of file not found type errors looking for the .wav files.

It still seems to be looking for orc type wav files even when trying to load bos.

I guess I need to look for another warcraft2 cd. The irony is that you can't actually buy it anywhere, except maybe from ebay, and blizzard wouldn't get anything from that sale anyway.

How does it play? is it fast enough to be useable?

Peter
lucho
I had to create 8MB swap file in order to play it. I also get alot of "Can't load the sound ..." but it still works.

It is playable -- I have to play it on a normal PC for a while to see how big is the difference.
TonyOlsen
The latest ipk (posted above) works without the lua librarie! Thanks! smile.gif

It appears to get farther than before.

I type:

CODE
./stratagus -d ./ -v 1

It appears to be trying to draw the screen in 480x640 mode (instead of the 640x480 mode I'm in). It only quickly flashes that then exits. It was mentioend that the 480x640 mode is easy to be fixed via environment variables. Can someone post how to change/fix this? (Thanks smile.gif )

The page doesn't respond for a while... and then a page full of messages appears, including the "Can't open file '.....wav'" stuff mentioned above.

It then displays "stratagus" information (disclaimers, written by, etc), and then it says it can't find the file...

...and the terminal stops responding. I have to close terminal and re-open it to try again...

...but it looks like we're getting closer each time! biggrin.gif
lucho
TonyOlsen,

Which version of SDL do you have installed?

On my Z it does the same -- the only difference is that it is working wink.gif I don't see the error messages and stratagus information before I exit the game though -- I guess they are printed after the stratagus window is created.
TonyOlsen
Which version of SDL do you have installed?

I opened "Add/Remove Programs" in QTopia and found 3 SDL libraries listed:

CODE
libSDL             1.2.6cvs-1

libSDL-mixer       1.2.5cvs-1

libSDL-net         1.2.5cvs-1

No other "SDL" libraries were listed. Am I missing a library, or are these the wrong versions?
lucho
TonyOlsen,

Try http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/zports/...rm.ipk?download
TonyOlsen
lucho,

So, I take it I'm using the wrong version? Does this replace only the main libSDL library, or all 3 of them? (I need to know since I assume I'll need to uninstall a library before installing the newer version.
lucho
I don't know what the other two libraries do, but I don't have them installed and strategus is still working smile.gif
zbones
I found the stuff for rotating and changing display size.

It's is from a japanese site, so I had to run it through babelfish.

CODE
   * SDL_FB_SIZE=XRESxYRES(@)

Screen mode is fixed to XRESxYRES. 640x480 (important point special kernel) and 480x640,320x240,240x320 can be chosen. If @ is attached, width of an argument and height will be disregarded and full-screen screen size will be made into the screen size of application. (About for snes9x) It does not become direct paint mode.

and the enc variable for rotation was :-

CODE
Put SDL_QT_ROTATION of them 0 or 1 or 2 or 3

Then the screen turns

I can't try this as my data dir is not working.

Peter.
TonyOlsen
Code:
   * SDL_FB_SIZE=XRESxYRES(@)  

and the enc variable for rotation was :-  

Code:
Put SDL_QT_ROTATION of them 0 or 1 or 2 or 3  
Then the screen turns

Great! smile.gif ...so where do I find SDL_FB_SIZE and SDL_QT_ROTATION? I've never set an environment variable in Linux before.
demosthenes
you can run from the command line

CODE
export SDL_FB_SIZE=320x240

export SDL_QT_ROTATION=1

the above (after the = sign) are only example values, you may need to change them. You can also run export with no arguments to see what the current environment variables are set to.
Ethereal
lucho,

Do your binaries include ced's -v 6 hack for 240x320 screens?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.