Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 12 GB CompactFlash card from Pretec
OESF Portables Forum > General Forums > General Discussion
charlesa
Cranking up the heat another notch in the already crowded CompactFlash market, Pretec Electronics has introduced the world's first solid state CompactFlash memory card with a storage capacity of a whopping 12 GB. The card, which will be available by the second half of 2004, will sell for $9,999 USD. In conjunction with the announcement, Pretec also announced that it would reduce the price of its 6 GB CompactFlash from $7,499 USD to $3,499 USD.

- Jørgen Sundgot, Monday 3rd May 2004, 17:23 GMT, Infosyncworld
Mitch
That's a lot of MP3's.
But why bother? How many are they going to sell at that price?
zbones
My car cost less than that! also my first house cost less than that!

for me to buy that card would mean blowing a quarter of my yearly income on a postage stamp sized bit of silicon.

Hell fake tits for the gf would cost far les than that and would buy me much more silicon laugh.gif

buying 12 1gb cards would save you a fortune.

Somebody must be buying them at that price or they would not be for sale, price versus demand, in 2 years time you will probably be able to buy one on ebay for 200$. scary isn't it!

Peter
tecknobabble
Professional photographers would go for them.... less heat and power consumption than a microdrive... and they can write it off as a business expense.... the fake tits seems a far worther use of the money!!!!
bender647
Silicon is hard as glass, you probably want to get your gf silicone instead.
smile.gif
Mitch
I thought they used salt water these days.
Safer if they pop.
suchs
Has anybody connected a regular ide or sata harddrive directly to a zaurus? I don't really have any ide how it could be done hardware wise ... but I suppose its do-able.

Any suggestions?
DrWowe
Has anybody connected a regular ide or sata harddrive directly to a zaurus?

A USB enclosure would be the easiest way. The IDE drive fits inside.
arniel
Has anybody connected a regular ide or sata harddrive directly to a zaurus?  I don't really have any ide how it could be done hardware wise ... but I suppose its do-able.

Any suggestions?

Yes, I have.
1. Get a CF -> PCMCIA converter.
2. Get a PCMCIA -> IDE adapter. I used an Apricorn EZ-GIG.
3. Plug an IDE drive in. I've tried 2: a Toshiba 1Gb which worked fine and an IBM which wouldn't spin up. basically, the Z can only supply 3.3v to its CF slot and most drives need 5v.
I'm currently working on a way of splicing 5v into the drive connector, with a circuit to switch between the PCMCIA output (for when it's plugged into a laptop) and an external socket.
There is just the hassle of finding an enclosure left to deal with...

Arnie
Omicron
I thought they used salt water these days.
Safer if they pop.

Salt water !?! What a Moron !!!

Everyone knows they use salt water taffy !!!

;-)

(just bustin')
Mitch
I'm English, so I've no idea what "taffy" is.
LilMikey
Is the power draw on a 2.5" laptop hard drive lower than the larger drives? Maybe one of those would be easier to get working.
ScottYelich
I'm English, so I've no idea what "taffy" is.

toffy? toffee? toffe?

http://taffyshop.com/index.html?target=Flavors.html

Scott
Mitch
Then why not call it toffee, americans, say they speak English and the can't call things by the proper name! :wink:
ScottYelich
I don't speak british...

"the team were late"

"I were a strippah"

I guess the perspective is different depending on which side of the pond you're on.

Scott
coolass
Toffee and taffy are totally different things. Toffee usually has a butterscocth mocca taste and taffy is is a gummy chewy sugar confection. Ok that said,the pcmcia to cf adapter and small laptop hd is your best shot.
padishah_emperor
Then why not call it toffee, americans, say they speak English and the can't call things by the proper name! :wink:

LOL!
..or spell properly
DrWowe
LOL!
..or spell properly

Hay i kin spel reel gud!
ScottYelich
korekt, t0ffee iz not taffy
Mitch
You were the one that suggested toffee, when I said I didn't know what taffy was!
BTW, WTF is taffy?
ScottYelich
look, are you ignorant or just stupid?

oh, wait... wrong thread.

Um, ya... I was making a play on words.

I personally love skor and tolberone ... and there are a few salt water taffy flavors that I like
(I grew up on the east coast of the US... etc).

Scott
Mitch
A mixture of the two.
Insulted and abused, but still none the wiser.
ScottYelich
hmm, google returns no hits for "taffy for dummies" ...

Scott
Mitch
I've looked at the recipe, we don't seem to have anything like it in Dear Old Blighty.
At least I know what a scone is.
LilMikey
Man, all you ZUGites have an amazing knack at keeping posts incredibly off-topic.
Mitch
It adds to the enjoyment.
arniel
Is the power draw on a 2.5" laptop hard drive lower than the larger drives?  Maybe one of those would be easier to get working.

Um, back on topic...

I tested using 2.5" drives. Both are specified for 5v+-5% operation, but the Toshiba seems to run fine on 3.3v, although that is so on the edge that it usually only spins up when the Z is connected to an external battery pack (maybe current is the main problem here).

Doubt very much that any 3.5" drive will work.

Another alternative is to get one of those yummy Toshiba PCMCIA drives, but they are small capacity compared to e.g an iPod and quite expensive.

Arnie
Mitch
That's still off topic!
Are there any self powered USB hard drives?
Just thinking of the people with SL-6000's.
jsywong
well just dont squeek them so hard and they wont burst, problem solved tongue.gif
Keola
I dunno what you guys are on... but I started a flaming thread a while back. I think it woke up quite a few people =]

http://www.zaurususergroup.com/index.php?n...3112&highlight=
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.