Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Printing from SL5500
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Everything Development > Personal Java/Jeode/J2ME Personal Profile
ez9926
Is it possible to print (to a serial printer) directly from an SL5500?

TIA
abject
Heh. Anything's possible.

In theory, yes. You'd need a serial cable ($40), that's the easy part. Then you'd need a driver for the printer. That'd be the tough part.

Could you use a printer attached to another system, maybe with a wireless network in between? Or could you save up your printing until you drop the 5500 in a cradle and move the files to a system with a printer?
ez9926
Thanks for the reply. I can print to the printer on a Linux box simply by cat 'ing a file to the printer. I'll try the
same on the PDA. But where can I find one of these $40 cables? So far I've only found a $120 Sharp IO to serial
converter.
ez9926
P.S.

This app is for a convience store distributor. The invoices need to be printed on site. No wireless network connectivity.
abject
SerialIO sells a Zaurus RS232 cable for $35 (plus shipping, of course). More info here.

Ab.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2015 Invision Power Services, Inc.