Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6000L user base?
OESF Portables Forum > General Forums > General Discussion
ChouOishii
ok, obviously I'm exaggerating here, but am I the only person in the world with a 6000L? this is my first zaurus, and I'd heard that there was a great community built around these machines, but it seems like there's almost no information or software packages about the 6000. even on myzaurus.com, most of the software they have for download is for the 5xxx models, and they don't even have a download section for the 6000. I'm just wondering if this lack of info is because it's so new or if nobody's buying the things (which would be a shame, as I'm just ridiculously happy with every aspect of it).
DrWowe
The 6000L is #1 on Amazon's "early adopter" list. smile.gif
mjalkut
I like mine too.

But they just went on sale a month or 2 ago.

A lot of the 5x00 software works on mine. And I don;t think the system architectures are too different except for the big screen. So most of the community how-toos and stuff should apply.

I'm a little disappointed at the lack of support from Sharp including dev-support. I would like to see more in the way of docs and source from them.

They are certainly not being marketted heavily. As far as I can tell there are only 3 or 4 USA outlets for them. And no 3rd party addons to speak of.
mussi
I don't think a maxed out 6000 with bluetooth and wifi would need a lot of additional accessories except maybe a pocketop keyboard and a big SD card....
Ethereal
They are certainly not being marketted heavily. As far as I can tell there are only 3 or 4 USA outlets for them.

Actually, like many previous Zaurii, Sharp is doing everything they can short of coating their packaging with anthrax spores to prevent consumers from buying them. Sharp has made numerous statements in the press emphasizing that the device is designed for and will be marketed to enterprise customers, not to you, you little nobody!
redbones
thought the title was 6000 Luser base, when i first saw it wink.gif
mussi
Actually, like many previous Zaurii, Sharp is doing everything they can short of coating their packaging with anthrax spores to prevent consumers from buying them. Sharp has made numerous statements in the press emphasizing that the device is designed for and will be marketed to enterprise customers, not to you, you little nobody!

Possibly in Europe and the US. In Japan, you can buy them, as proven by several forum members and my neighbor who has a perfect command of the Japanese language despite the fact that he's not Japanese. In fact, he's getting one for himself in July.
jdmoorman
My 6000 is now 2 days old.
The more I learn it, the applications, and tweek them, the more it comes alive. A very impressive machine. It is far superior to any palm or pocket pc.
But, it is not a product for the brain dead mass consumer, particularly the lemming being herded by microsoft.
I am concerned that it is not supported by Sharp on their MyZaurus site.
I am more conerned that basic accessories are not available, like a 2nd cradle (one for home, one for the office).
Eventually, programers will update their software to run on the 6000 or to work better with the vga screen.
Of course, by the time we have all the support, software and accessories we want for the 6000, there will be a new model our that we will lust over, and we'll start all over again.
Ethereal
In Japan, you can buy them

Yes, you can buy them here (US) too, but Sharp has raised the bar for hostility to their own customers by pre-announcing their refusal to support what they sell, rather than just silently not supporting it after the sale. The device itself is awesome, though.

I am more conerned that basic accessories are not available, like a 2nd cradle (one for home, one for the office).

Check out [url=http://shop.pcconnection.com/web/Shopping/Product.htm?catalog%5Fname=&product%5Fid=4879761&WTL=PDLPC&Page=]PCConnection's site.
Ethereal
Amazon also reports the docking crade (and replacement batteries) as "coming soon," and at better prices than PCConnection. They already have the expansion jackets, too.
cradlinski
I got my 6000L a couple of weeks ago. I love it! The screen is beautiful. I've had a 5600 (PXA-250) for about 7 months and I love it, too. I also have a Pocketop keyboard that works great with both machines.

I'm still looking for a carrying case for the 6000L. Everything I've seen so far is too small.

I installed the terminal application from Sharp and the icon is a question mark rather than the little PDA icon that appears on the 5600. Is there a way to use custom icons?
DrWowe
I'm still looking for a carrying case for the 6000L. Everything I've seen so far is too small.

Lately I've taken to using a small hip pack I got at REI. It holds my 6000, my cell phone, and has an extra pocket for coins. smile.gif
cradlinski
That's a good idea. I'll have a look at those.
Ethereal
I installed the terminal application from Sharp and the icon is a question mark rather than the little PDA icon that appears on the 5600. Is there a way to use custom icons?

Did you install the ipk you used with the 5600, or the one that came on CD with the 6000?
cradlinski
Whoops! I installed the 5600 version. Thanks.
cradlinski
Yep. That did it.

The new terminal app rocks! I love that it supports screen rotation. With a rotated terminal and my Pocketop keyboard, I'm in geek heaven!
jdmoorman
Ethereal,
Thanks for the tip. I just placed an order for the cradle.
I almost ordered the one from amazon yesterday, but it is not the same model number as the one that came with the unit. I assumed that it was for an earlier model. I just re-check the amazon site to cite their model number vs. the one I have, and now they the same. I must have had a senior moment, or their site changed. Oh, well; at least my concern for that item has gone away.

I'm pleased at how much the prices have fallen for cf cards. The 1gb 45x card I got was only $229 taxed and shipped.

I also got car and travel chargers from a source on ebay. They were described as compatible for the sl-5600, but I figured it would work for the sl-6000. I hadn't read anything on the reviews to the contrary. However, when they arrived, that both had connectors for the sync port, not the seperate power jack like the stock unit.

Anyone know if they will they work with the sl-6000?
Ethereal
Amazon has carried SL-5600 cradles for a while; you probably saw those before. The SL-6000 cradle is a new listing on Amazon (and a preliminary one at that).

I think that the "Sharp I/O connector" is a standard from SL-5500 through 6000, but I'm not 100% sure. (I see serial cables marketed for 5600/6000, though, so it's a good bet.) If you want to keep the charger issue simple, just find (or build) a 5V, 2A (less seems to work OK, as in charge the battery and not melt down) supply with a center-positive barrel connector that fits.
locutus
I've been told by someone with the pre-released version of the 6000 that the Sharp I/O connector is the same but it is upside down. Therefore, the original Sharp serial cables would have the larger side of the connector case sticking up toward the keyboard on a 6000 instead of down toward the back( away from the keyboard ) as with the 5x00 models.

This also means that unlike how the 5000/5500 could use the 5600 cradle, the 6000 won't. Or atleast it won't be facing forward if it does fit. ;-)
lpotter
I have a sl-6000 on my desk. but then again, I have about 9 zaurus of various forms on my desk also. smile.gif
The 6000 is fast becoming my fav, due to the built in wifi.
DrWowe
The 6000 is fast becoming my fav

Haha, someone with sense around here. smile.gif
mjalkut
Actually, like many previous Zaurii, Sharp is doing everything they can short of coating their packaging with anthrax spores to prevent consumers from buying them.  Sharp has made numerous statements in the press emphasizing that the device is designed for and will be marketed to enterprise customers, not to you, you little nobody!

And they tell me I'm too cynical.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.