Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I Love ZUG, but worth mentioning: Sharp DEVNET up in 1 WEEK.
OESF Portables Forum > General Forums > General Discussion
Omicron
Don't hold your breath, but Devnet is coming back soon, a friend got this from Sharp:

"I apologize for the delay in getting the Developer's website up and running. The transitioning to our www.sharpusa.com host site has been completed, but they are testing all of the pages and links. The site should be up by the end of this week.

I have added your name to a list of people to contact once the site is up, and we will send an email as soon as the site goes live.
"

ZUG is still aN EXCELLLENT place, but this will have an impact, so I think the moderators should start thinking more along the lines of other non forum-type support for Z (IMHO). But still, I think we ALL owe enough to these great guys to put the ZUG Home URL in ALL our sig lines at devnet....at least those of us that go there. Devnet will be a great place to harvest new members.... smile.gif (just kidding, of course, but not about the URL sigs)

O
DrWowe
Is anyone going to trust Sharp to host a worthwhile and reliable developer site, ever again?
bluedevils
ZUG is now my main zaurus site. I think we should encourage others to come here for the exact reason the good doctor has mentioned
ScottYelich
/me wants to update the ballmer video (scary) from "developers, developers, developers" to "mirror, mirror, mirror" ... ya, I know, I lost
a syllable... but that's about what devnet will mean to me. Sure, I'll use it... I want to support it, but I will always use and trust ZUG first.

Scott
Mickeyl
*yawn*

Better unite under the flag of cacko, OpenEmbedded or Opie. Yet another Sharp Devnet site = more fragmentation.
amrein
It takes me more than a month before been sure that zaurususergroup.com was an initiative from friendly and generous people and I have the chance to heard about it before Devnet close.

Everyone were waiting for Sharp Devnet to come back. No message, no news, and even Trolltech couldn't say what was happening. And now we should kindly go back to Zaurus Devnet so they can moderate things their way? For how many month?

Sharp must contact ZaurusUserGroup to see what could be done (and not the other way). Without ZaurusUserGroup, most people whould have switch to something else. Without them, any new Linux PDA would have replaced the Z easily.

Anyway, it's not to me to resolve this (fortunately, as sometimes my heart is more powerful than my reason).

---
Amrein-Marie Christophe
ZUG addict.
offroadgeek
I'm interested to see if they will offer anything new to the community. Hopefully they haven't scapped all of the existing devnet posts, and there might still be a chance to mirror the damn thing (ie. somehow get a db extract or something).

As I mentioned in another thread, in about a month a few of us will start developing more functionality for the zug, ie. freshmeat style project hosting, etc.

Whatever happens, we'll always be here (until the yearly domain registration comes again wink.gif ), and we'll always be a community run effort.
dz
I agree with amrein. The ZUG is what got me through my purchase of my Zaurus, not Sharp. My loyalty is to this site.
DrWowe
As I mentioned in another thread, in about a month a few of us will start developing more functionality for the zug, ie. freshmeat style project hosting, etc.

I must have missed the other thread, but that's AWESOME!!! One thought, is bandwidth going to become an issue? These kinds of features use a lot more tthan news and forums.

I think you're obsoleting the new devnet before it's even launched...
albertr
Too little, too late... I'm afraid Sharp DevNet site will always be dead to me...
-albertr
bluedevils
I think they obsoleted themselves when they pulled the plug

I think you're obsoleting the new devnet before it's even launched...
clivel
I really missed the devnet when it went down, luckily I found this group instead. I really don't see any necessity for going back to devnet.

Devnet going down once was a stupid error, but twice is just plain idiotic. Perhaps the only thing that will get me back, is if Sharp bribes us with 860s or 6000s.
Clive
fpp
Devnet going down once was a stupid error, but twice is just plain idiotic. Perhaps the only thing that will get me back, is if Sharp bribes us with 860s or 6000s.
Clive

Naaah, we wants the 960, preciousssss.... ;-)
lucho
I personally don't like ZUG. IMO the sharp devnet forums were much simple and easier to use. Every time I come to ZUG I am frustrated by the color scheme and all the bells and whistles that make finding the real information harder.

I would definitely go back to devnet if I continue to follow any Zaurus forum at all...

Just my 2 cents ...
bluedevils
Lucho,

It is always good to hear a different opinion, but have you mentioned this in the feedback forum? With the upcoming changes that offrdgeek mentioned, maybe some of your suggestions would be implemented.
doc
I love the ZUG. DevNet should be renamed to UnderConstructionNet.
offroadgeek
One thought, is bandwidth going to become an issue?  These kinds of features use a lot more tthan news and forums.

Bandwidth will always be an issue... we're already averaging 100gb/month. In order to do this, I think we'll need to have adverts on the site... besides, any surplus in $$ that adverts might bring in could be put back into the community (ie. hardware for developers, etc.).

I personally don't like ZUG. IMO the sharp devnet forums were much simple and easier to use. Every time I come to ZUG I am frustrated by the color scheme and all the bells and whistles that make finding the real information harder.  

I would definitely go back to devnet if I continue to follow any Zaurus forum at all...  

Just my 2 cents ...

bluedevils is right, this type of feedback is definitely welcome, so please make sure you put your 2 cents (and then some!) into the feedback/suggestions forum.

it's feedback like this that makes me want to revamp the site even more... I agree with you completely... it's too frilly, too many graphics, etc. i envision the new site being predominantly text, except for the silly smilies smile.gif in the forums.

enjoy the devnet, but be sure to check back here often
DrWowe
Ads are OK, but I hope you'll do text based ads (such as Google) All the other kinds are annoying, and I usually don't see them anyway...
Inuyasha
it's feedback like this that makes me want to revamp the site even more... I agree with you completely... it's too frilly, too many graphics, etc.  i envision the new site being predominantly text, except for the silly smilies smile.gif in the forums.

Since you use Postnuke, might I suggest using the "ExtraLite" (might be spelling it wrong; default installed, and if you don't have it just grab the tarball of Postnuke and get it from there) theme, that uses one graphic (a logo) and simple text. Very nice, clean interface, and very simple.

Either that or use something similar like the plain "PostNuke" theme, with no graphics, but a fairly nice colour scheme (sandy colours).
Ethereal
In order to do this, I think we'll need to have adverts on the site...

I thought advertising Zaurii was against the law... :wink:
doc
I like the theme. We use the plain jane theme on www.cinlug.org and it is rather stark,
our linux group thought about trying to change it to be more like zaurusuergroup.

My 2 cylon dents...i mean cents.
dh
I like the format as it is. The text only sites are just sooo boring.
That said, their has to be a way to help with the hosting costs. Advertising is one way, although on some sites like Cliesource and Brighthand have so much advertising it is horrible.

A good alternative is the one that Jason at PocketPCThoughts has. He has ads but by subscribing and paying, you can switch the ads off. I would have no problem with paying a bit more too keep the site a good place to hang out.

Actually I don't mind technology ads too much. It's all those stupid flashing things I can't stand.
doc
I wonder what this site looks like on the Z. I've never actually checked...going to right now....

....ooh, it's okay, but i hate der scrolling I have to do...think I'll stick to a full screen.
Ethereal
....ooh, it's okay, but i hate der scrolling I have to do...think I'll stick to a full screen.

"Content Column" mode helps a lot, if you can live without the formatting...
padishah_emperor
I'd like to see a boycott of the new DEVNET if it comes back, Sharp should fund ZUG. It was dull and uninteresting, ZUG is better and with sourceforge-like capabilities, if I ever develop anything worthwhile it will be released here first.
ClintReese

I haven't researched this in much depth, but I remember that when I first came to the ZUG, I glanced over some sort of agreement for using the site. As I recall, it said something about the owner of the ZUG having all of the rights to anything published here, which is why I avoided using it for a while. Did I misread that part? Do I just remember incorrectly? Will it be removed when we start pubilshing programs here?

Clint Reese
ClintReese
And, what is the other thread?
offroadgeek
And, what is the other thread?

found it... here's a link

I haven't researched this in much depth, but I remember that when I first came to the ZUG, I glanced over some sort of agreement for using the site.  As I recall, it said something about the owner of the ZUG having all of the rights to anything published here, which is why I avoided using it for a while.  Did I misread that part?  Do I just remember incorrectly? Will it be removed when we start pubilshing programs here?

Clint Reese

Interesting... that may be part of the registration process. I'll just say this... I did not write the Terms of Use and it isn't my intention to have sole rights over anything here. This will always be a community site.

I looked through the Terms of Use (comes standard with PN)... here's a snipit:
CODE
7. Submission of Content on this Web Site.

By providing any Content to our web site:

(a) you agree to grant to us a worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive right and license (including any moral rights or other necessary rights) to use, display, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, distribute, perform, promote, archive, translate, and to create derivative works and compilations, in whole or in part. Such license will apply with respect to any form, media, technology known or later developed;

(b) you warrant and represent that you have all legal, moral, and other rights that may be necessary to grant us with the license set forth in this Section 7;

(c) you acknowledge and agree that we shall have the right (but not obligation), in our sole discretion, to refuse to publish or to remove or block access to any Content you provide at any time and for any reason, with or without notice.

But it doesn't say what you've quoted. Maybe I should just post the entire Terms of Use in seperate thread and have people review/modify it as they see fit.

I'm glad you brought it up though... very interesting point.
LilMikey
'This week' is coming to an end in a couple more days and as far as I can tell there's been no change on sharp's pages.
ClintReese
As I recall, it said something about the owner of the ZUG having all of the rights to anything published here, which is why I avoided using it for a while.  Did I misread that part?  Do I just remember incorrectly?
Clint Reese

But it doesn't say what you've quoted. Maybe I should just post the entire Terms of Use in seperate thread and have people review/modify it as they see fit.

I'm glad you brought it up though... very interesting point.

Well, I didn't "quote." I said I thought I remembered it saying something like that. Thank you for pointing out the exact section of concern. It does not seem to say that you would have all the rights. It seems to say that _you_ would have the right to _republish_ that which we publish here, perhaps in addition to us. That seems to accord well with a GPL-type philosophy, so I can find no fault with using such an agreement for a sourcefore-like board. smile.gif

Thanks for explaining. smile.gif

Clint Reese
whit
Bandwidth will always be an issue... we're already averaging 100gb/month.

Have you considered moving your site off HE and putting it on a good DSL line? If you're someplace Speakeasy.net or equivalent offers service, that can work out cheaper than hosting + however you go online now. And there are no bandwidth charges. I've had medium-traffic websites running through several DSL providers for a few years now, and much prefer it over hosting services - doesn't take much hardware to serve Apache well.

Put enough storage on it, and you could run even this site off a Zaurus.
amrein
Bandwidth will always be an issue... we're already averaging 100gb/month.

As I don't think that Devnet will come back tommorow, what solution have you choosen to reduce the site used bandwidth (I'm curious)?
offroadgeek
Have you considered moving your site off HE and putting it on a good DSL line? If you're someplace Speakeasy.net or equivalent offers service, that can work out cheaper than hosting + however you go online now. And there are no bandwidth charges. I've had medium-traffic websites running through several DSL providers for a few years now, and much prefer it over hosting services - doesn't take much hardware to serve Apache well.  

Put enough storage on it, and you could run even this site off a Zaurus.

I currently have speakeasy dsl with 1.5mb down/768 up... I would need to increase the upspeed quite a bit in order to serve the site and not see a significant slow down.

I've briefly thought about hosting the site completely from home, but with the site being constantly busy, and so many people depending on it, I feel more comfortable with it at the colo facility.

As I don't think that Devnet will come back tommorow, what solution have you choosen to reduce the site used bandwidth (I'm curious)?

A couple months ago I put a server up on my dsl at home, and moved all of the downloads to the server. This has helped with the bandwidth a bit, but we're still averaging 100gb/month with just the main site (forums, wiki, etc.)

I'm looking at different hosting providers who can offer the bandwidth we need at a reasonable cost. I'm pretty close to getting in on a great deal.

Honestly, I'm not looking to reduce the bandwidth utilization, except for maybe optimizing the site a bit. The donations are very helpful, but as long as I can still afford to pay for it, I won't look at any drastic changes.

I would rather add advertisers to help with the costs, and continue to build up the site and offer more services to the community.

Who knows... maybe I'm crazy :shock:
mussi
Not forcibly. If money to keep this site up and running really becomes an issue, put up a paypal address where we can send money to. I already did that with Zecke, and I'm sure a few people who spare 700 US-$ would also be able to spare 20 $ for this site. I have two very nice machines down in my cellar, which would certainly make some of the forum members here look around twice. Compiling OpenEmbedded stuff on them shouldn't be a real issue, and one doesn't need more than a dual-CPU setup for this type of work. Just I don't have the hardware where one could test it on....

Since I haven't gotten a C860 or an SL-6000 yet, I haven't invested really big bucks into the whole affair.

The moment I get an 860 (no SL6k, seems to be a freaking large brick), however, could spark some smaller money transfers.

For site sponsors, I'd go asking some Z distributors like shirtpocket, Dynamism, or trisoft in Germany.
dh
Not forcibly. If money to keep this site up and running really becomes an issue, put up a paypal address where we can send money to.

There's a paypal logo on the front page. Just click on it and send ORG your $$.
Even if we all made only a very modest contribution, it would certainly help. biggrin.gif
For site sponsors, I'd go asking some Z distributors like shirtpocket, Dynamism, or trisoft in Germany.

Yes, these guys would be ideal to have ads here. Maybe some of the commercial developers as well, Trolltech, Softmaker etc.
keithecampbell
Well, it's been a week more than expected, and DevNet ain't up yet. Big surprise!
tblumer
The DNS entries are not yet updated, but the IP address is 208.40.197.252. DNS is supposed to be updated by Sharp today. The site will work if you add the following to your 'hosts' file:

208.40.197.252 zaurus.com www.zaurus.com community.zaurus.com docs.zaurus.com

Otherwise, the DNS entries should hopefully get to you over the weekend.
ScottYelich
it's baaaAAAAAAAACK!
saiten
Great news - Makes me think "why would they re-instate it"!
Is there something new we don' know about?

ZUG was a life saver and will always be my daily ingest.
nilch
hey, I see that myself and offroadgeek and others are still shown as moderators for various threads. Now how come Sharp takes it for granted that we would all love to still be moderators for a site which is down for months.

Sorry Sharp, take me off the moderators list - I am not interested nor have the time to do that function for a very temperamental forum site and a equally temperamental company.

I think it was at Spencers behest that most of us agreed to help him with moderating the forums. Not anymore now that Spencer is not there.
offroadgeek
hey, I see that myself and offroadgeek and others are still shown as moderators for various threads. Now how come Sharp takes it for granted that we would all love to still be moderators for a site which is down for months.

Sorry Sharp, take me off the moderators list - I am not interested nor have the time to do that function for a very temperamental forum site and a equally temperamental company.

I think it was at Spencers behest that most of us agreed to help him with moderating the forums. Not anymore now that Spencer is not there.

I logged in today and noticed that also. It seems that there was a change in some default settings, where now it only shows posts that are active in the last 30 days for each forum. It's just a quick change, but it seems you have to do that each time you access the forum. Funny thing is, there is almost nothing new in the forums in the last 30 days (of course!), except for a couple posts by Scott today.

Anyway, I agree. tblumer, you can remove me as a moderator for the forums. I plan to check the site every now and then just to see if anything new and cool shows up, but other than that my time is devoted to the ZUG.

Also, why is sharp re-opening the devnet anyway? It's very clear to all that their focus is on enteprise customers, but they still want developers to build apps for the zaurus for free? Would these apps then be provided to their enterprise customers?

Oh well, the ZUG developer project will be started soon, and it will feel good to focus some of our efforts on the developers who make our Zauri (has the poll on the plural of zaurus been finalized? wink.gif ) so wonderful.
tblumer
Yes, the database remained intact with old settings. I will have the moderators changed. Sorry for any inconvenience.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.