Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5600 (pxa255) vs C860
OESF Portables Forum > General Forums > General Discussion
dz
I'm thinking about upgrading my 5600 to the clamshell 860 Zaurus.

Out of curiosity, did anyone else do this upgrade and how satisfied were you with the extra cost?

Also, is there a big size/weight difference? It seems like the 5600 might be a little larger.

One of the major factors for upgrading is the abilitity to use pdaXrom. I'd love to have X on my Zaurus.

I've read a couple threads talking about sellers and I think the Ebay guy seems best.

Anyways, thanks for the info smile.gif
ScottYelich
I don't think you'd regret it... at all.
rikiya
For the size, the 5600 is slightly bigger but maybe skinnier
CoreyC
When the c860 is closed, it is smaller and slightly thinner than the 5600.

It really depends on what you are wanting to do with your zaurus. I have both. If I *just* wanted a pda, I'd stick with the 5600. If you want something to play with, go for the c860. If I had to get rid of one, I would drop the 5600 without thinking twice.
dz
What about c760.. is it worth the extra cash to go for the 860?
ScottYelich
When the c860 is closed, it is smaller and slightly thinner than the 5600.

It really depends on what you are wanting to do with your zaurus.  I have both.  If I *just* wanted a pda, I'd stick with the 5600.  If you want something to play with, go for the c860.  If I had to get rid of one, I would drop the 5600 without thinking twice.

I have dropped my 5600 ... because I wasn't thinking once... luckily, it wasn't damaged.

Scott
roguetrooper
What about c760.. is it worth the extra cash to go for the 860?

As I understand these machines are identical except for the Japanese-English translation software. Am I correct here?
rikiya
ya I guess and the USB connection thingy that could be added with the cacko rom I guess
BUT, if you want a C760 at most chances you have to get a 2nd hand or one that was stocked for a long time since they don't make 760 any more
Stubear
The differences between C760 and C860 are solely software - the hardware is identical.

Apart form the Translator and the usb storage drivers the only other difference is the 2000/month connection to some isp in Japan using phs (a mobile phone service). oh and the color is different

Stu
dz
i see.. well then

now to find someone that'll give me a good price for an 860 and find a buyer for my 5600
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.