Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: default shell profile?
OESF Portables Forum > General Forums > General Discussion
charlesa
Hi all -

I am trying to get under the hood on a new SL-C860, and am somewhat perplexed by the default shell when logging in. While I understand that Z uses bash, it does not seem to pickup the /home/zaurus/.profile nor /home/root/.profile or .bash_profile settings. there isnt a systemwide /etc/profile either. where are these settings geting picked up? it picks them up fine when i manualy do a /bin/bash, but that's kinda manual.

I notice that terminal isnt getting the .bash_profile nor .profile settings, but neither is ssh. So can anyone suggest to be the location(s) of the default shell setting files?

Thx in advance!

C.
Stubear
You will probably need to change the shell in /etc/passwd from /bin/sh to /bin/bash to get all the bash goodness.

Not sure what Sharp was thinking here but they probably didn't expect anyone to actually use the termnial wink.gif

Stu
charlesa
You will probably need to change the shell in /etc/passwd from /bin/sh to /bin/bash to get all the bash goodness.

Thx! But my root and zurus logins are set to /bin/bash in /etc/passwd - and the ~/.profile settings are still not getting pick up!

You may be right - we're likely in a minority to want to use the shell so much. But it _is_ linux... 8)
bluey
ln -s ~/.profile ~/.bashrc

.profile is read when you open a session, usually when you login for the first time, or on multiple ttys, for bash profile that is read on each new shell instance you should use .bashrc or even .bash_profile

wink.gif

(hmmm I'm having some issues with it, now that I look into it in more detail, tough...)
charlesa
ln -s ~/.profile ~/.bashrc

(hmmm I'm having some issues with it, now that I look into it in more detail, tough...)

Me too! Thanks for the tip on linking ... but it still isn't allowing me to automate the setting of my environment.
bluey
I believe it should work, try the following:

Create /etc/profile.d/homeprofile.sh:

if [ -e ~/.profile ]; then
. ~/.profile
fi

Every /etc/profile.d/ file should be sourced in /etc/profile, if sharp broke that, add the previous 3 lines to /etc/profile.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.