Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A step ahead (Mail now integrated in KDE-Pim/Pi)
OESF Forums > General Forums > General Support and Discussion > Software
Pages: 1, 2
zautrix
Hi!

New Version 1.9.2 of KDE-Pim/Pi is now available.

The current Opie-Mail (latest cvs version) is now intregrated in
KDE-Pim/Pi as KMicroMail.

THANK YOU TO THE OPIE DEVELOPERS FOR THAT NICE APPLICATION!

And thank you to the original KDE-Pim Desktop developers as well for the original KOrganizer and KAdressbook code!

KMicroMail (KMM) access is integrated KA/Pi and KO/Pi and KA/Pi access is integrated in KMM.

I had to add some enhancements to KMM to make is useable, e.g. the sorting of the mail in the listview was not implemented.
And I rearranged some icons, added a saving button to the edit dialog, ...

It is really fascinating to me, to see such a powerful PIM environment on such a small device.

Only the actual syncing of contacts is missing. That will follow, of course.

You can download it at

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kdepimpi/

Important other improvements were made,
here is the change log:

********** VERSION 1.9.2 ************
1)
KDE-Pim/Pi has got a new member:
KmicroMail (KM/Pi) is a mail program,
which can handle IMAP and POP mail access.
It is based on Opie-Mail v3.
All dependencies to the Opie libraries ar removed,
such that no additional Opie lib is needed.
It is already integrated in KO/Pi and KA/Pi.
It it now available for the Zaurus,probably it
will be available for other platforms later.
Hint:
Create your own contact (name + email)
in KA/Pi, select this contact and choose menu:
Settings - Set Who Am I.
Now the settings of this contact are used as
the sender data in KM/Pi.
2)
KDE-Pim/Pi is split up in five different
packages now precompiled for Sharp Zaurus:
--kmicrokdelibs_1.9.2_arm.ipk
The libs are needed for any
of the following programs:
--kaddressbook_1.9.2_arm.ipk
--kmicromail_1.9.2_arm.ipk
--korganizer_1.9.2_arm.ipk
Independ from that, there is the alarm applet
available for KO/Pi, which also offers
quick access for a new mail or
showing the addressbook.:
--korganizer-alarm_1.9.2_arm.ipk
Independend means, that the alarm applet
does not need any of the libs or programs above to run.
But it would be quite useless without these programs.
NOTE:
If you get a
"This application depends on other programs"
during installation of
--kmicrokdelibs_1.9.2_arm.ipk
you probably do not have to care about that.
kmicrokdelibs_1.9.2 will come with some
resource plugins, which needs additional libraries.
(E.g. libopie1, if you want to use the
opie resource connector in KA/Pi).
If you do not have this libraries installed,
you simply cannot use the resource.
To make it clear:
If the libraries are missing, the applications
using kmicrokdelibs will start,
because the resources are plugins.
3)
KO/Pi and friends are now installable on SD-Card!
It is recommended to install all libs and apps
on the SD card or all in the internal storage.
There may be problems, if this is mixed.
4)
Fixed two bugs in the alarm notification on Windows.
5)
Great improvement!
KO/Pi uses now the latest version of libical.
Libical is the library which actually reads
the calendar files and extract the data from it.
With the old version, there were problems
(crashes or program hangs) when licical did read
files, which were not stored from KO/Pi.
I do not know, if the new libical works perfect,
but actually it works much better than
the old version.
There are no problems with compatibility with
old calendar files of KO/Pi, of course!
6)
New in KA/Pi:
Opie addressbook resource connector available!
You will need libopie1 and the opie addressbook,
of course.
With the Opie addressbook resource connector,
you can access the Opie addressbook readonly in KA/Pi.
If you want to edit or import the data into KA/Pi,
do this:
a) Create an Opie resource.
(Menu: Settings-Configure Resources).
After configuration and restarting KA/Pi you should see
the Opie contacts in KA/Pi.
cool.gif Select some or all Opie contacts.
(NOTE: +++++
To know exactly, what contacts are Opie contacts,
do this: Choose menu:
View-Modify View - TAB Fields.
Select in the above list "Resource" and click
down arrow to add it to the "Selected fields".
Click OK.
Now you have a new column "Resource" in your list,
where you can see, what an Opie resource is.
++++ NOTE end.)
Ok, we do have now some Opie contacts seleted.
(Use SHIFT or CTRL key in order to multiple select).
c) Choose menu: Edit-Copy.
d) Choose menu: Edit-Paste.
e) Select the resource, you want to add the contacts to.
Congrats! Now you have read/write access to the copied
opie contacts as "real" KA/Pi contacts.
bluedevils
sweet. I'll give it a try later today. smile.gif
Zuber
Just had a quick play. Looking good smile.gif

Quick feedback bugs/feature requests

Addressbook :

Love the multiple undo/redo

Refuses to load second time round with fasload on. i.e. Turn on fastload. Run exit and run again.

On entering a new contact, I keep wanting to use OK in top left corner. Result is data entered is lost. Have to use OK at bottom of screen.
Would like OK at top left to do same as ok at bottom of screen. Alternative would be to loose the top left OK altogether.

Would like a quick jump to letter when a contact is highlighted in left pane.

Not likey to be a "real world" problem. Search seams a little strange.
Have 2 entries. Names t3, test.
Entering t goest to test and skips t3. Entering t3 does go back to t3 though.

Mail :

Not used Opie Mail app before, so don't know if original had this function. But would really love to be able to just fetch mail headers with size and then get the full mail if desired. Funcyion is missing from standard mail app. on z and very useful for high mail volume users.

Also. Do/Don't delete mail on server option.

Calendar :

Not sure about this, but would like sub tasks synced as well (as normal tasks with some kind of marker ?)
Hrw
Argh.. I don't even get 1.9 good builded when 1.9.2 comes out ;)

Will try to get them build under OpenEmbedded but have few questions.

1. Can you use tags in CVS? So checkouting V1.9.2 (instead of HEAD) will be possible.
2. Source archive is named kdepim.src.tar.gz in each revision - so I cannot fetch 1.9 source when You release 1.9.1 - can You rename them too? kdepim-VERSION.src.tar.gz is better.
3. Did You changed libs (libetpan, libmailwrapper) after including them in kdepimpi? We have them in OE already so I prefer to use them - don't want to rebuild whole toolchain just to compile one program.

anyway keep your work done - I like KO/Pi (has 1.7.8 on my Zaurus) but I think that screen usage can be better (especially in "What's Next" screen).
slocaus
zautrix  Posted on Jul 4 2004, 11:44 AM
KMicroMail (KMM) access is integrated KA/Pi and KO/Pi and KA/Pi access is integrated in KMM.
[..snip..]
It is really fascinating to me, to see such a powerful PIM environment on such a small device.

Wonderful news! And I share your fascination with the powerful apps on a small device!

I'm not getting a "check mail" icon or menu item. Tried installing all apps to SD and then removed and installed to internal memorie, still no luck.

Zuber  Posted on Jul 4 2004, 01:20 PM
Addressbook :
Refuses to load second time round with fasload on. i.e. Turn on fastload. Run exit and run again.

I can confirm this on my SL-5500.

These are the only two 'glitches" I have found, and I have treid every menu item on all 3 components.

I just am so happy and yet cannot believe what you have accomplished for PIM apps in such a short time; kudos to zautrix and ulf!!

Hrw  Posted on Jul 4 2004, 03:38 PM
  Argh.. I don't even get 1.9 good builded when 1.9.2 comes out wink.gif

You have to work double time and not sleep to keep up with the pace that zautrix has set for PIM develpment! wink.gif
zautrix
Hi Zuber and slocaus,

thanks for testing.

Zuber,
the addressbook problems will be fixed in next version.
I agree, the mail needs some enhancements.
Because the program is new for me as well, I do not know how difficult it will be to implement these enhancements.

Slocaus,
I have to admit, that I did not test a pop3 account, I only tested IMAP.
There is no "check mail" menu item.
Maybe mail fetching is done via popup menus in the folderview?
I found in the source some hints for that.
I have to try out a pop3 account later this week.
The Fastload problem was a leftover from the DesktopKDE code.
It will be fixed in next version.

Hrw,

I have changed libmailwrapper, I did not change libetpan.
I will tag the version, if I consider it to be almost bugfree.

What are your suggestions for the "What's Next" screen?

z.
padishah_emperor
Nice one Zautrix, you move too fast for me, will test later.

- Francis
roderickv
Great Job zautrix! I am amazed how fast you are updating these!

I am having trouble with the address book however, all of each contact numbers has somehow defaulted to "other" in all of my contact records. And it lock's up each time I try and delete any of them. Is there a way I can delete the file where the addresses are stored so I can re-import from the Outlook CSV file? If so, can you tell me where the file is located? Thanks for all the hard work.
Hrw
QUOTE(zautrix @ Jul 5 2004, 01:27 PM)

OK - when I got KO/PI and KA/PI builded then I'll go for OPIE Mail/PI and will look into libraries changes.

For this moment I have to resolve libqtaux (from opie) and qtcompat include conflicts (will look how it was in KO/PI because it builds here with EXTRA_QMAKE_VARS).

It has margins on left/right, has
CODE
Allday: [r] urodziny [Jan
        Kowalski]

18:00 - 19:00 Wszystkie grzechy
              sa smiertelne

instead of:
CODE
Allday:
 [r] urodziny [Jan Kowalski]
18:00 - 19:00
 Wszystkie grzechy sa smiertelne

second method is more readable.

KO/PI has margins in many places, long descriptions of GUI elements (they can be shorter and have tooltips added), You use Ctrl-<key> for shortcuts - can it be Fn-<key> on SL-5500?

In "Small Todo list" column headers are bigger then font used to display todos - if You remove that "\/" marker it probably get smaller. I'll try to attach screenshot from my Zaurus.
slocaus
QUOTE(zautrix @ Jul 5 2004, 03:27 AM)
Slocaus,
I have to admit, that I did not test a pop3 account, I only tested IMAP.
There is no "check mail" menu item.
Maybe mail fetching is done via popup menus in the folderview?
I found in the source some hints for that.
I have to try out a pop3 account later this week.
The Fastload problem was a leftover from the DesktopKDE code.
It will be fixed in next version.

Zautrix - I did try it as IMAP and my ISP supports it fine. I have another minor email provider that does not support POP3.

Tried finding pop-up menus by clicking on folders, inboxes, etc. and nothing comes up. When I click on the POP3 ISP / Inbox folder, I get "Error initializing folder" in the taskbar. Just an FYI that might help. I know that KM/Pi is new and will take some time to get all featuers.

While you are looking at FastLoad with KA/Pi you might check KM/Pi as well. It seems to suffer the same load problems, though I doubt I would use FastLoad with it normally.

Again, thank you for the quick enhancements and especially KM/Pi!
elvis
I cannot get KA/PI to import vCard information exported by Kaddressbook on my system. I've tried both vCard 2.1 and vCard 3.0 (and as single files for each entry or one big vCard). Copying over the file from my home system to the Zaurus works, but then all the phone entries lose their headers (i.e. Home, Work, Mobile, etc) and I have to manually update this which is very time consuming.
sveicken
Hi zautrix and ulf,

you are as fast as ever!!! Thanks. I allready posted the bugs to sourceforge.

Here I only want to give an idea about the search in KA-pi:
For example i have 4 entries with "markus". I get only 1 on the right side. No problem. But i have to search the left column to find the Markus, i want. My idea: the left column shows only these entries, which match the search. So it is easier to find the Markus i want. Next example: I only know that the family name of the person is "Markus" (not realy a family name, but i dont remember the name, i searched yesterday). So i write Markus and the result is (i guess) a person with the given name "markus". Now I have to search the hole adressbook. (ok, i can sort now the family name and will find Markus. But then i dont need any search wink.gif
Here it is also better to see on the left only the entries which match the search (first i see all, but each letter i write reduces the entries)

Upps, not easy to make it in english! But i understand, that you want to concentrate to one forum.

Thanks for your great work. Sven
ulf1
QUOTE(elvis @ Jul 5 2004, 01:40 PM)
I cannot get KA/PI to import vCard information exported by Kaddressbook on my system. I've tried both vCard 2.1 and vCard 3.0 (and as single files for each entry or one big vCard). Copying over the file from my home system to the Zaurus works, but then all the phone entries lose their headers (i.e. Home, Work, Mobile, etc) and I have to manually update this which is very time consuming.

Hello Elvis,

can you display here one of the phonenumber lines from the exportfile of KAddressbook. I am not interested in the phonenumbers, only in the syntax of the whole line.
We have already an idea what is going on, but just to make sure.

thanks,
Ulf
elvis
Ulf,

Here is a 2.1 vCard export of a single contact:

BEGIN:VCARD
ADR;TYPE=pref;TYPE=work:;;1155 XXXXX Parkway, Suite XXX; XXXXX;VA;2XXXX;
EMAIL;TYPE=PREF:jef@xxx.com
FN:Jeffrey XXXXXXX
N:XXXXXX;Jeffrey;;;
ORG:Hydrologic
REV:2004-06-13T17:57:17Z
TEL;TYPE=WORK:703-XXX-XXXX
UID:pVAiuJqbdZ
VERSION:2.1
END:VCARD

Here is a 3.0 vCard export of the same contact:

ADR;TYPE=pref;TYPE=work:;;1155 XXXXX Parkway, Suite XXX;XXXXX;VA;2XXXX;
CATEGORIES:Business
CLASS:PUBLIC
EMAIL;TYPE=PREF:jef@xxx.com
FN:Jeffrey XXXXXXX
N:XXXXXXX;Jeffrey;;;
ORG:Hydrologic
REV:2004-06-13T17:57:17Z
TEL;TYPE=WORK:703-XXX-XXXX
UID:pVAiuJqbdZ
VERSION:3.0
slocaus
QUOTE(roderickv @ Jul 5 2004, 05:19 AM)

I am having trouble with the address book however, all of each contact numbers has somehow defaulted to "other" in all of my contact records. And it lock's up each time I try and delete any of them. Is there a way I can delete the file where the addresses are stored so I can re-import from the Outlook CSV file? If so, can you tell me where the file is located? Thanks for all the hard work.

I have the same - that all phone labels are "Other". I don't plan to try and delete any of them, my guess is that it will be corrected in new versions, since KA (& KM) are alpha status.

/home/zaurus/kdepim/apps/kabc/std.vcf is addressbook for 1.9.x
/home/zaurus/Applications/kaddressbook/data/kabc/std.vcf for 1.7.x

I'd try to re-import the old version first before doing the csv conversion again, but I like the easy way. Or do what I plan to do and wait for 1.9.3! wink.gif
Hrw
I builded KO/PI and KA/PI using OpenEmbedded - but only once - cannot get it build another time.

Installed KO/PI 1.9.2 on Zaurus - it looks better then 1.7.8. Ability to hide allday field is useful. I also like "markers" when scrolling busy day agenda.

Toolbar icons has margins on both sides of image - if they will be smaller then more buttons will fit.
roderickv
Thanks slocaus,

I decided to go back to 1.9.1 yesterday. I groped my way through and found all the instances of the address book. (I kept deleting a few instance and they kept comming back..lol) once I found all the ritght address book files and deleted them all, I rebooted and reinstalled 1.9.1, re-mapped, re-imported my addresses in and everything was fine. Late night last night... I agree, I am going to wait for 1.9.3. These guys are so good, and thorough, that you forget that your working with alphas and betas. Anyway, it will keep the excitement level high as we watch on the sidelines.....
ulf1
QUOTE(roderickv @ Jul 5 2004, 05:19 AM)

Hello Roderickv,

can you create on Sourceforge two bug entries and attach a piece of your CVS importfile that we can reproduce the change of the phone entries to "other". We do not need the whole file, and if you like you can modify the names and private information. We just want to take a look on the structure.

You can find the addressbook file on the Zaurus usually on <your home dir>/kdepim/apps/kabc/std.vcf
But you can always find the file by checking the "configure resource" dialog

Ulf
zautrix
QUOTE(roderickv @ Jul 5 2004, 02:19 PM)

Sorry, but in version 1.9.2 is really something odd!

I would recommend to not use the addressbook of 1.9.2.

Seems so, that I have fixed most of the problems now.

But please provide us with info about a contact, where some fields are imported as "other".

Thx for testing!

z.
zautrix
QUOTE(sveicken @ Jul 6 2004, 12:34 AM)
Hi zautrix and ulf,

you are as fast as ever!!! Thanks. I allready posted the bugs to sourceforge.

Here I only want to give an idea about the search in KA-pi:
For example i have 4 entries with "markus". I get only 1 on the right side. No problem. But i have to search the left column to find the Markus, i want. My idea: the left column shows only these entries, which match the search. So it is easier to find the Markus i want. Next example: I only know that the family name of the person is "Markus" (not realy a family name, but i dont remember the name, i searched yesterday). So i write Markus and the result is (i guess) a person with the given name "markus". Now I have to search the hole adressbook. (ok, i can sort now the family name and will find Markus. But then i dont need any search wink.gif
Here it is also better to see on the left only the entries which match the search (first i see all, but each letter i write reduces the entries)

Upps, not easy to make it in english! But i understand, that you want to concentrate to one forum.

Thanks for your great work. Sven

Hi Sven,

I think, the way of sorting you are suggesting would be very useful.
But I do not know, how fast this would be on the Zaurus.
When the other bugs are fixed, I will create 500 test-contacts and try out, how fast this kind ( hiding all contacts, that do not match ) of sorting will be.

The other problem of the sorting is already solved.

z.
zautrix
[quote=slocaus,Jul 6 2004, 11:48 AM] [QUOTE=roderickv,Jul 5 2004, 05:19 AM]
Or do what I plan to do and wait for 1.9.3! wink.gif [/quote]
That is smart! ;-)
zautrix
QUOTE(Hrw @ Jul 5 2004, 05:01 PM)

OK - when I got KO/PI and KA/PI builded then I'll go for OPIE Mail/PI and will look into libraries changes.

For this moment I have to resolve libqtaux (from opie) and qtcompat include conflicts (will look how it was in KO/PI because it builds here with EXTRA_QMAKE_VARS).

It has margins on left/right, has
CODE
Allday: [r] urodziny [Jan
        Kowalski]

18:00 - 19:00 Wszystkie grzechy
              sa smiertelne

instead of:
CODE
Allday:
 [r] urodziny [Jan Kowalski]
18:00 - 19:00
 Wszystkie grzechy sa smiertelne

second method is more readable.

KO/PI has margins in many places, long descriptions of GUI elements (they can be shorter and have tooltips added), You use Ctrl-<key> for shortcuts - can it be Fn-<key> on SL-5500?

In "Small Todo list" column headers are bigger then font used to display todos - if You remove that "\/" marker it probably get smaller. I'll try to attach screenshot from my Zaurus.

The header high cannot made be smaller, unfortunately.
I tried this already.
If the header itself is smaller, you would see a gray rectangle which fills out the original size of the header.
Below that rect the displaying of data will start.
Such that nothing is gained.

You suggestions of the WN-view and the FN keys makes sense.
When KA/Pi bugs are fixed, I will try to make the WN-view configurable.
In add the FN key.

z.
zautrix
QUOTE(Hrw @ Jul 6 2004, 12:55 PM)
I builded KO/PI and KA/PI using OpenEmbedded - but only once - cannot get it build another time.

Installed KO/PI 1.9.2 on Zaurus - it looks better then 1.7.8. Ability to hide allday field is useful. I also like "markers" when scrolling busy day agenda.

Toolbar icons has margins on both sides of image - if they will be smaller then more buttons will fit.

I agree, the toolbar buttons should be smaller.
But to make the toolbar buttons smaller is not possible.

But now we have a KToolBar in Microkde - in KO/Pi is used the Qt QToolBar.

It should be possible to make the buttons smaller, if the QToolBar is exchanged
with KToolBar.
Maybe I try this later.
z.
roderickv
Ulf1 and zautrix,

I will be happy to do a bug report and attach CSV's, (anything to help the effort) but I want to clarify so that you are not off in the wrong direction, that importing the CSV didn't cause the "Other" in all the phone fields. In fact, I didn't import CSV's when the problem first occured. I downloaded the 1.9.2 files and installed them on my 512 SD card (that had plenty of space on it). All the packages installed fine but KO/PI, I had trouble installing KO/PI on the SD card, it kept saying that it would only run in the main memory. So, I uninstalled everything and rebooted and tried again. The third try was successful with installing all of the packages onto the SD card including KO/PI. But when I went into KA/PI all the phone number fields were "Other" and it was very sluggish. Every time I would try to edit or delete an entry, it would either lock up or just shut down altogether and it consistently shut down when tried to delete any entry. I am sure I corrupted the address field while trying to install the packages onto the SD card. That is why I wanted the path to the address book file. So that I could delete the corrupted address book file and reinstall my contacts from a CSV.

So I am thinking the problem is not from a CSV import attempt, but from a corrupt address file from when I was trying to install everything onto the SD card.

If you still want the CSV I used to restore, I can provide it, but I am not sure how it will help. Thanks for all you guys are doing!

-Rod-
slocaus
QUOTE(roderickv @ Jul 6 2004, 11:51 AM)
Ulf1 and zautrix,

I will be happy to do a bug report and attach CSV's, (anything to help the effort) but I want to clarify so that you are not off in the wrong direction, that importing the CSV didn't cause the "Other" in all the phone fields. In fact, I didn't import CSV's when the problem first occured. I downloaded the 1.9.2 files and installed them on my 512 SD card (that had plenty of space on it)

[..snip..]

So I am thinking the problem is not from a CSV import attempt, but from a corrupt address file from when I was trying to install everything onto the SD card.

I had the same experience, except that everything installed to my SD card (256 Lexar) just fine. I did the csv import into 1.9.0 and then just copied the std.vcf to the new location with 1.9.1. It was the upgrade to 1.9.2 that caused all the phone labels to change to "Home".

I've reverted to a backup of 1.9.0 from last week, and copied the mycalendar.ics into KO/Pi, (no contacts have changed for KA/Pi), and all is well, for now. I can export and upload std.vcf if it will help.
ulf1
QUOTE(slocaus @ Jul 6 2004, 12:20 PM)
QUOTE(roderickv @ Jul 6 2004, 11:51 AM)
Ulf1 and zautrix,

I will be happy to do a bug report and attach CSV's, (anything to help the effort) but I want to clarify so that you are not off in the wrong direction, that importing the CSV didn't cause the "Other" in all the phone fields. In fact, I didn't import CSV's when the problem first occured. I downloaded the 1.9.2 files and installed them on my 512 SD card (that had plenty of space on it)

[..snip..]

I had the same experience, except that everything installed to my SD card (256 Lexar) just fine. I did the csv import into 1.9.0 and then just copied the std.vcf to the new location with 1.9.1. It was the upgrade to 1.9.2 that caused all the phone labels to change to "Home".

I've reverted to a backup of 1.9.0 from last week, and copied the mycalendar.ics into KO/Pi, (no contacts have changed for KA/Pi), and all is well, for now. I can export and upload std.vcf if it will help.

Hello Slocaus, roderickv

yes, please upload the CSV file you used that caused the problem with 1.9.2,
or send it to me. My emailadress is uschenk AT fastobjects DOT com

Let me also know which mapping you used for the particular field.

thanks,
Ulf
slocaus
QUOTE(ulf1 @ Jul 6 2004, 12:27 PM)
Hello Slocaus, roderickv

thanks,
Ulf

I did not do a CSV import into 1.9.2;
I did the only CSV import into 1.9.0, then copied std.vcf from /home/zaurus/Applications/kaddressbook/data/kabc/ to
/home/zaurus/kdepim/apps/kabc/ with version 1.9.1 and all labels were fine. Then I removed 1.9.1 and installed 1.9.2 and that is when I had all phone labels changed to "Home".
ulf1
QUOTE(slocaus @ Jul 6 2004, 12:41 PM)
QUOTE(ulf1 @ Jul 6 2004, 12:27 PM)

Hello Slocaus, roderickv

thanks,
Ulf

I did not do a CSV import into 1.9.2;
I did the only CSV import into 1.9.0, then copied std.vcf from /home/zaurus/Applications/kaddressbook/data/kabc/ to
/home/zaurus/kdepim/apps/kabc/ with version 1.9.1 and all labels were fine. Then I removed 1.9.1 and installed 1.9.2 and that is when I had all phone labels changed to "Home".

Hello Slocaus,

then send me one of the vcard entries of std.vcf that caused the home Problem.

thanks,
Ulf
sveicken
Hi zautrix,

I think you are right, my suggested kind of sorting would make the prog to slow.

I have one more suggestion: klicking in the search-box marks (highlights) the already writen letters there. So writing a new name (for search) would delete the former name and you can faster and easier write and search a new name.

@ulf
And about the problem with the field "other" and deleting an entry crashs KA-pi: I think it is only a problem of getting the version 1.9.1-adressbook into the 1.9.2-prog. I had the same problem: I created in 1.9.1 two test-entries. Then I updated to 1.9.2 and wanted in 1.9.2 delete the test-entries because now I could import my opie-adresses (I did not need the test-entries any more). But I could not delete them, KA-pi always crashed and I had to reboot (sometimes). So I deleted the hole adressbook (deinstalled all, deleted the folders) and installed again 1.9.2 and imported the opie-adresses. Now I can delete entries. So I think it is a problem with "importing" the 1.9.1-adressbook to 1.9.2.

Sven
jerrybme
From today's experience, I'm guessing that you shouldn't remove kdepim before upgrading.

I was using 1.9.1 and wanted to try the latest version. I unistalled kdepim & korganizer-alarm then installed the 1.9.2 versions of kapi, kopi, ko-alarm, kmail and the kdemicrodeps.

After reboot, kapi & kmail don't work. I get the following error:
CODE
# kapi
Display size = 480x640
locatelocal: /home/zaurus/kdepim/config/kaddressbookrc
locatelocal: /home/zaurus/kdepim/apps/kaddressbookKActionCollection::setWidget: warning: KAccel is never used in microkde
locatelocal: /home/zaurus/kdepim/config/kabcrcKLibLoader::library could not find library: libmicrokabc_qtopia.so
locatelocal: /home/zaurus/kdepim/apps/kabc/std.vcf
locatelocal: /home/zaurus/kdepim/apps/kaddressbook/kresources/contactrc
#

I reninstalled kdepim and then reinstalled kapi & kmail and viola they worked. blink.gif
slocaus
QUOTE(ulf1 @ Jul 6 2004, 12:57 PM)
Hello Slocaus,

then send me one of the vcard entries of std.vcf that caused the home Problem.

thanks,
Ulf

Here you go, Vcard v.3

UID:cUqWAK5zEg
FN:Sanctuary Tobacco_Shop
EMAIL:thesanctuary@charter.net
N:Tobacco_Shop;Sanctuary;;;
ORG:Sanctuary Tobacco Shop
ADR;TYPE=work:;;1111 Chorro;San Luis Obispo;CA;93401;
TEL:805-543-1958
TEL:805-543-4131
CATEGORIES:Work
REV:2004-06-24T03:11:01Z

Wierd. Phones shown are Work and Work Fax. Both display as "Other" in KA 1.9.2 blink.gif
zautrix
Hi all,

I hope, we have fixed all known bugs.

Please download the version 1.9.2a and try again.
(It is release 1.9.2 with files replaced).

It should work much better than 1.9.2.

z.
danr
Hi Zautrix,

I found a very minor bug: the mail program is now called ompi but the Pim desktop file, /home/QtPalmtop/apps/Pim/kmicromail.desktop, still refers to kmpi. Making that change makes it work.

Other than this, everything else seems to work fine.

Keep up the good work - it's much appreciated.

Daniel
zautrix
QUOTE(danr @ Jul 7 2004, 11:18 AM)
I found a very minor bug: the mail program is now called ompi but the Pim desktop file, /home/QtPalmtop/apps/Pim/kmicromail.desktop, still refers to kmpi.

Hi Daniel,

thx for the info, I updatd the package as 192b , where this is fixed.

z.
Hrw
zautrix:
KDEPim/PI is added to OpenEmbedded as CVS version. Later I'll look into CVS and probably add 1.9.2b version (if it is tagged in CVS of You will add source archive into SF files).
Already builded are Ko/Pi and Ka/Pi with applet and all needed libraries. Adding Km/Pi is next task - first we have to look what changes You made to libmailwrapper and maybe incorporate them into upstream version.

Speaking of libraries... it would be very nice if you bump revision of libraries between changes - Ko/Pi 1.7.8 has libraries 1.0 and Ko/Pi 1.9.2 still has libraries 1.0 but they are changed so it was main source of problems.
roderickv
Ok, I uninstalled version 1.9.1 and installed 1.9.2a to my Sandisk 512 SD card. Unlike before, the installation went seamless onto the SD card. But when I opened KA/PI I again had "Other" for all the contact numbers. Here is an example. Like it was mentioned earlier, the numbers look fine in the exported card, but shows up as "others" in KA/PI. I also emailed them to you as you requested.

Version 3.0

NAME:John Doe
UID:aIavTG5bNU
FN:John Doe
EMAIL:johndoe@aol.com
N:Doe;John;;;
TITLE:Vice President
ORG:US Bank
TEL:(614) 232-xxxx
TEL:(614) 529-xxxx
REV:2004-07-07T08:21:49Z

Keep up the great work!
roderickv
Update - I was able to resolve the "other" phenomenon with the following simple proceedure.
I just went into KA/pi and "selected all" on all the contacts with "other" as all the contact numbers and Deleted them all.
I then went back into KA/pi (there were no contacts at this point). Re-imported the back-up CSV I had and voila! All my contacts were correct.

So for now, if you are going to install 1.9.2a, I would recommend exporting all your contacts into a CSV back-up before you begin.
ulf1
QUOTE(roderickv @ Jul 7 2004, 06:06 AM)
Ok, I uninstalled version 1.9.1 and installed 1.9.2a to my Sandisk 512 SD card. Unlike before, the installation went seamless onto the SD card. But when I opened KA/PI I again had "Other" for all the contact numbers. Here is an example. Like it was mentioned earlier, the numbers look fine in the exported card, but shows up as "others" in KA/PI. I also emailed them to you as you requested.

Version 3.0

NAME:John Doe
UID:aIavTG5bNU
FN:John Doe
EMAIL:johndoe@aol.com
N:Doe;John;;;
TITLE:Vice President
ORG:US Bank
TEL:(614) 529-xxxx
REV:2004-07-07T08:21:49Z

Keep up the great work!

Hello roderickv and all other guinea pigs,

the vcard entry you sent me is not correct in the sense, that KA/Pi does not know how to interpret the different phonenumbers. It does simply not know in which category each number belongs.

>TEL:(614) 232-xxxx
>TEL:(614) 232-xxxx
>TEL:(614) 529-xxxx

Because of that it categorizes all of them as "other". Don't ask my why it eventually displayed the correct types in 1.9.1 and earlier.

Anyway. The correct form for phonenumbers look like the following lines:

TEL;TYPE=FAX;TYPE=WORK:(614) 232-xxxx
TEL;TYPE=WORK:(614) 232-xxxx
TEL;TYPE=CAR:(614) 529-xxxx
TEL;TYPE=FAX;TYPE=HOME:(614) 567-xxxx
TEL;TYPE=HOME:(614) 838-xxxx

If you check your adressbook and find this kind of wrong entries (like described above), you should consider to reimport your addressbook into KA/Pi.

thanks,
Ulf
padishah_emperor
After trying these programs, I decided to remove them, which I did with no problems, then after exiting "Add/Remove Software", I found nothing worked anymore, if I tapped an icon, nothing happened, so I rebooted and the machine hangs on the startup screen, anyone have any ideas before I have to reflash? I have not done a backup this week yet, so I'll loose a lot of stuff sad.gif
zautrix
QUOTE(padishah_emperor @ Jul 8 2004, 03:23 PM)
After trying these programs, I decided to remove them, which I did with no problems, then after exiting "Add/Remove Software", I found nothing worked anymore, if I tapped an icon, nothing happened, so I rebooted and the machine hangs on the startup screen, anyone have any ideas before I have to reflash? I have not done a backup this week yet, so I'll loose a lot of stuff sad.gif

What hardware/software combination do you have?
What did you had installed and then removed?

If you had installed the alarm-applet maybe there went something wrong when deinstalling.
It it is not a hardware failure or a bug in the installer which screwed up something
maybe it would help if you boot into console and remove the alarm applet manually.

It is in /home/QtPalmtop/plugins/applets/libkopialarmapplet.so.1.0.0

Did you had enabled fastload?

z.
padishah_emperor
Yes I had fastload on for one of the apps, I thought qpe.conf had entries listing the fastload apps, so I could edit it manually, but I can't find any such entries. Also vi or mc dont work properly from the console - no scrolling so reading/editing config files is near impossible. Unless you know something different, it's a reflash case.

The libkopialarmapplet.so.1.0.0 was removed anyway during uninstall, no problems, I suspect the fastload thingy..
zautrix
QUOTE(padishah_emperor @ Jul 8 2004, 06:26 PM)
Yes I had fastload on for one of the apps, I thought qpe.conf had entries listing the fastload apps, so I could edit it manually, but I can't find any such entries. Also vi or mc dont work properly from the console - no scrolling so reading/editing config files is near impossible. Unless you know something different, it's a reflash case.

The libkopialarmapplet.so.1.0.0 was removed anyway during uninstall, no problems, I suspect the fastload thingy..

Then I guess, there was some of the other files not removed properly.
Try to remove
/home/QtPalmtop/lib/libmicro*.*
and
/home/QtPalmtop/bin/kopi
/home/QtPalmtop/bin/kapi

z.
padishah_emperor
No it's not that, those files are gone. I'm going to reflash now, been trying to start Qtopia manually and its complaining that libjpeg.so.62 is missing, I'd love to find the actual cause but I need a working machine back again. Thanks for your help.
Chero
I m posting this from my Z - so dont mind the layout

I think i know where the "other" thing comes from

KaPi on windows users upper case for HOME - CELL - WORK etc

KaPi on zaurus uses lower case

once you copy your std.vcf from one to another, the numbers are all marked as "other" and if you save, the HOME, etc are gone

chero
Chero
forgot this :

if you manually change from upper to lower for a few contact, then these are read correctly while the others still have "other" phone numbers
ulf1
QUOTE(Chero @ Jul 8 2004, 12:01 PM)
I m posting this from my Z - so dont mind the layout

KaPi on windows users upper case for HOME - CELL - WORK etc

once you copy your std.vcf from one to another, the numbers are all marked as "other" and if you save, the HOME, etc are gone

chero

Hello Chero,

it looks like you found something. I could verify that the Zaurus stores the types in lowercase, while the Windows desktop version uses uppercase letters.
And as a result of that, the zaurus interprets the types (lowercase letters) of copied files incorrect, and displays "other".

This will be fixed in one of the next versions.
thanks,
Ulf
Chero
no thanks !

I should thank you guys I simply love KoPi and KaPi so far.
Keep on going !!

chero
slocaus
QUOTE(Chero @ Jul 8 2004, 12:01 PM)

KaPi on windows users upper case for HOME  -  CELL  -  WORK  etc

chero

Please don't assume that we all use Windows. wink.gif
I had the same issue when I imported directly from a Linux KAB, and when I used an old Palm and converted to CSV format to import.

Anyway, I still have the "Other" for all phone numbers, and I see my existing phone numbers with no labels and then all the other labels with no phone numbers; Ulf's explanation a few messages back makes sense, I just wonder where it changed between 1.9.0 and 1.91?? No matter really, I have chosen to go through and manually edit and correct in KA/Pi using vncviewer and the keyboard on my desktop. (Did I mention I love linux? cool.gif

This version 1.9.2a/b is very useable for me. Fastload works fine with KO & KA; I can do almost everything with Zaurus menu and keyboard buttons. (I'd still like to have more Menu control of KA, but I know it is coming, right?)

Cheers again to your fantastic work, zautrix and ulf! In about 1/2 week we have gone from a new alpha with some glitches to an alpha that I trust 90% (I make daily backups to my SD and then use rsync to make a complete directory tree of my Z on my desktop, along with 14 days of backup files.)

Carry on, each release just gets more excting in what you can do!
slocaus
QUOTE(ulf1 @ Jul 8 2004, 12:23 PM)
Hello Chero,

it looks like you found something. I could verify that the Zaurus stores the types in lowercase, while the Windows desktop version uses uppercase letters.
And as a result of that, the zaurus interprets the types (lowercase letters) of copied files incorrect, and displays "other".

This will be fixed in one of the next versions.
thanks,
Ulf

Ulf, something changed between 1.9.0 (displayed fine for me), and 1.9.1/2/a that showed this behavior. I have most of my editing done (as stated on the Z via vncviewer) so I don't think I want to go back to 1.9.0 and look or test, unless it might help you in some way??
ulf1
QUOTE(slocaus @ Jul 8 2004, 12:34 PM)
Ulf, something changed between 1.9.0 (displayed fine for me), and 1.9.1/2/a that showed this behavior. I have most of my editing done (as stated on the Z via vncviewer) so I don't think I want to go back to 1.9.0 and look or test, unless it might help you in some way??

Hello slocaus,

there is no need to go back to older versions of Ka/Pi.
I created the bugentry 987525 on sourceforge, and we will fix this.

Ulf
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.