Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welcome to UK users
OESF Forums > Everything Else > Regional User Groups > Europe User Groups > UK
Pages: 1, 2
charlie
Welcome to all Zaurus users in the UK.

Zaurus DevNet Forums are excellent but we need somewhere to discuss parochial issues such best priced accessories available in the UK.

Please post here any issues of National or International importance here.

Charlie
Anonymous
So which pub shall we meet in?
jez
Whereabouts in the country are you Charlie?
I'm in Swansea, or sometimes Bristol.

That was me with the pub request BTW.

Surely we can't be the only 2 Z users in the U.K.? Is anyone out there?
Anonymous
Jez,
I'm a denizen in the frozen North in Lancaster. So I'm afraid it would be a bit of a long walk home.

I assume that it's because the community site is so good there hasn't been much interest in this but fingers crossed it may snowball. There are certainly some big UK contrbutors to the DevNet Forums.

Charlie
Anonymous
Jez,
I'm a denizen in the frozen North in Lancaster.  So I'm afraid it would be a bit of a long walk home.

I assume that it's because the community site is so good there hasn't been much interest in this but fingers crossed it may snowball.  There are certainly some big UK contrbutors to the DevNet Forums.

Charlie
I'm in harrogate (uk smile.gif ), I've done some stuff for the zaurus which
is on http://www.chrisc.tk

let us know what u think...
elrond
Hi! My name's Dave and I live in Banbury, but working in Milton Keynes. Nice to meet y'all. smile.gif
Anonymous
Hi, I am living in Birminghame. I have ordered a SL-5500. Are they really good or are there better? Will I get an unbiased report?
:wink:
Anonymous
Does anyone use this anymore?
Anonymous
Does anyone use this anymore?
I'm the moderator of this group (I know it looks like I'm a guest).

I will look at this board as often as I can, normally weekdays, but don't be too disappointed if it takes me a couple of days to reply as I also have a life. Also this group is in it's early days and hopefully we can make it more used by trying to help each other.

I presume that the last two posts are from the same person but a name would be nice so that I can tell if I am now writing to disgruntled of Birmingham!

I have no background in computing but I will tell you what my experience is.

I bought a 5500 at Christmas after some research because I saw the Linux OS as a learning and playing opportunity and because of the large and growing amount of free software available.

It works fine as a pda without crashing. There are synchronisation issues but if you decide what has priority I have not encountered any problems. I have not used it's e-mail capabilities but there is lots of evidence on the devnet forum that it works well at this as well.

Upgrade to ROM 3.10 straight away. You can download it from the internet and I installed it from Windows with no problems but it will need a bit of playing with. Also put in the largest cf card you can afford as soon as possible so that you can store a lot of documents and programs.

To help you get started the unofficial Zaurus faq is a good place to begin.

There are lots of free games, I particularly reccommend nethack, freeciv and jack the uni-psychle. But there are lots more. They don't all work straight away and they don't all work at all, but playing in the Konsole trying to get things working is part of the fun. If you have any problems the Community is very, very helpful.

You will also want Portabase, Justreader and Opie-Reader for e-books.

I also reccomend I-Ching, Dash, Notez, Mileage Calculator, Sketches of Q, ZBedic and QT-Journal.

Solun is a marvellous free astronomy program.

In conclusion I have found it to be an excellent product with excellent free software and support but you have to put the time in to get the most out of it.

You can't get an unbiased report because as soon as you use something you form opinions about it.

Please let me know if you want to know anything else or feedback if you find this interesting.

Charlie.
tumnus
Surely we can't be the only 2 Z users in the U.K.? Is anyone out there?

There are more of us than you know smile.gif

I think many post more frequently over at the DevNet forums (like me) or even http://forums.zaurus.co.uk
Dernfara
I'm a new convert to the Zaurus, in Guildford. Just invested in a 760 from shirtpocket.co.uk - reminds me more of a Psion than the pocket PC I had been using.

Hunting around for some good software now - anyone got any recommendations for 7x0 devices? There seems to be very little available at the mo...
tumnus
The Zaurus Software Index has the best collection of software. Much of it should work on the C760.

As a beginner, it's a good idea to look through the Unofficial Zaurus FAQ on this site.
clivel
Hunting around for some good software now - anyone got any recommendations for 7x0 devices?  There seems to be very little available at the mo...

SafeDee V2.0.0 has been optimised to run on the 7x0 devices as well as on
the 5x00 devices, take a look at http://www.bundu.com/zaurus.html

Clive
Anonymous
Thanks Tumnus, I've had a look at the software index and tried a few things. It would be useful to know which applications have been updated to run on the 7x0 series though - I'll start compiling my own list for now and post it when it grows.

Clivel, thanks for the SafeDee link - I needed an app for encrypted storage and will probably register this.

The only other apps I've found useful so far are Explorer, Galery and Adress from the Kompany - would recommend them to other users.

Dern
Anonymous
Another UK user - living in Aylesbury and working in Welwyn Garden City. A bit far to go to the pub, I'm afraid.

Chris
Captain_Kirk
Sorry - I thought I was logged in.

Using 5500 with tkcROM - I keep coming back to this after trying various new OZ releases. It does seem to be reasonably stable.

Chris
charlie
Moved to Cumbria now, less frozen but damper.

Charlie
Airwolf
Another UK user - living near Manchester and working in Guildford/ Woking quite a bit.
Mitch
I'm in the North East, 'working' in Newcastle.
dahukanna
Proud owner of C860 in Littlehampton. Also Linux newbie, what would be recommended reading ? thanks.
cwaig
And the worldwide home of IRK is actually the back bedroom of my house in Brighton smile.gif
dahukanna
Can some one put me out of my misery and tell me how I can get WiFi working on my Zaurus ? I have a C860, Senao CF 802.11b(Prism2/2.5/3). I plug it in and it flashes. From ifconfig i get lo and eth0 but no wlan0. What am I missing ?
Anonymous
Moved to Cumbria now,  less frozen but damper.

Charlie

As a Cumbrian I resent that comment on the groundds that its true.

Craig.
gshort
I live in Cumbria, although I'm not a Cumbrian, and it hasn't rained properly for days (mind you, it's not Summer yet).

I've had my Zaurus for just over a year now. Former Palm user, wanted:
a) high powered PDA to play and work with;
cool.gif non-M$ OS;
c) keyboard:
d) CF and SD.

I'm not a developer, don't even work in IT (teacher - bah!), but I'm very happy with my SL-5500. Even had good service/communication with Sharpserv when it packed up on me.

Just wish I could afford one of those lovely C7/8** machines.
padishah_emperor
Hello UK ZUGgers!

I'm Francis, living in York, will have a 860 next week, got 5500 at the moment, but that is going to my friend Dave, who will be among our clan soon.

Can't get to the pub either, but we should continue to encourage UK users to introduce themselves here and hopefully in the future organise something.

AVE ET VALE!
rayburn
Yet another new 5500 user, graduated from Psion 3c, so one of the requirements was a keyboard. I am a Linux newbie I'm afraid but would dearly like to know more.

Living in Mid Wales.

Best wishes to all.
realistic_dragon
Hi,

Introduced to the Zaurus when I was getting paid to buld ad hoc networks with them biggrin.gif

Now given my 5500 to the GF and bought a 750. Living... all over really ohmy.gif) Changes week to week.
hammy
Hi,

London based with a 5600 wot I can't get to sync at all at all.... <sniff>

Hamilton
grey_moon
Heya all

London based too with a 5600, and having hell with bluetooth tongue.gif

Moon
zbones
I've not actually looked in here for ages, as it was a little dead.

It does seem a little busier now, but still no other Leeds users appeared.

Has anybody else noticed that 4 of the 6 top posters are from the UK?

I'm not sure what that says about us brits biggrin.gif

Peter.
grey_moon
hee hee brits rule.. btw has there been a uk zug meet? the linux expo would make a good venue smile.gif
charlie
I had noticed that some Brits are particularly active although Tumnus seems to have slackened off. I was considering nominating Lardman for Greatest Living Englishman.
Airwolf
Another UK user here. Living in Cheshire and frequently in woking on business or travelling in Europe
nhorlock
Arriving late as usual...
Another UK user. I was pretty active in the Zaurus mailing lists when the 5500 appeared, but have drifted away somewhat since.

Based in Kent, work in London as a Programmer (unix, Sun, C++).
Snooby
Hello everyone, newbie Zaurus user here smile.gif
ced
I'm French but I'm living in the UK (near Derby) as Java Developer.
RedSlug
I just re-found my Sl-5500 after, probably, nearly a year without using it. I've been using a Sony NX70V for a while, I'd forgotten how "special" the Z is wink.gif

From Swansea, I've been using *nix for about 15 years, but quite superficially, not much admin stuff.

Its a shame that a lot of the old links seem to be down. I'm really out of touch and no idea what the best ROM is right now...
I've a lot of catching up to do!
g1gsw
Hi

Another Uk user again in living in Cheshire and working there too. Had my Z 5500 over a year now and use it daily in my work and for play. Been using Linux about 9 years on and off but now a permanent fixture on all my pc's smile.gif

Regards All

Colin
tumnus
I'm another Colin originally from Cheshire smile.gif , now living in Coventry (but wishing he was back in Cheshire).
W.E.Coyote
Well not one of the more active posting sites.

Almost a year and still no answer to which pub smile.gif

I vote for somthing up North, proper beer up here.

Currently I am going through withdrawl from my Palm as I convert to the C-860, so beer would help lots.
cgrieves
I'm basied in Guildford (working in Mayfair, London) and am expecting my 5600 any day now!

I'm a longtime Psion 5MX user and love the machines but am seriously bored now of the sync problems with any OS later than 95, not to mention Psion's insistence that there is no problem with Psiwin, or their useless screen ribbon cables..... so the 5600 warranted further investigation as it's a similar "tweakers" machine.
padishah_emperor
Well not one of the more active posting sites.

Almost a year and still no answer to which pub smile.gif

I vote for somthing up North, proper beer up here.

Currently I am going through withdrawl from my Palm as I convert to the C-860, so beer would help lots.

There are two of us in North Yorkshire I know of - York specifically, not beer drinkers though alas!

(BTW My Palm(Clie NX70V) withdrawal passed within 4 or 5 seconds of unwrapping my 5500. :-) I feel much better now LOL! Now I too have a C860 and the other Yorker is planning on getting one too in the next few months.)
totaln00b
Hi all UK Zaurus Users,

I'm another graduate from Psion, but only after my beautiful little revo packed up on me. Now I've got a 750 but I've only had it for a few hours so it's still charging up at the moment...

Btw, I'm from Lancaster and feel that I should point out that today it's neither frozen nor remotely damp up here in the north!
charlie
Totalnoob,

Living in Lancaster or did you manage to escape the curse like I have.
I agree, it is a beautiful little city with lots more going for it than many other places. It's a shame they closed our brewery though although George is trying to plug the gap with the micro in heysham.

Chas
Mitch
Another northerner here, only from the East coast (County Durham/Newcastle upon Tyne).
Boy, does the weather suck.
Any other Geordie Z users out there?
Cwiiis
Another UK user here, in Southampton/London (university/home). Previously had a Sony Clie T675... yuck... Been using linux on my desktop for a long while now, don't know what possessed me to buy a palm - Sold it to buy my 5500 - Loving every second that's passed since that decision smile.gif
zbones
There are two of us in North Yorkshire I know of - York specifically, not beer drinkers though alas!  

Wot, you don't drink Beer! What do you drink?

I'm from west yorks, and can make york in 30 mins in the car, or 15 mins on the bike (no plod reading this I hope)biggrin.gif

Mind you a zug meet with only 2 People would still be a bit lame.

As I've just gone back to my roots, and purchased a new motorbike, I am willing to go within 100 miles of Leeds. Any excuse to use it is good at the moment.

PS, It has to be a "dry" day as you can't get your knee down in the wet!

Peter
powered_by_penguins
Hi everyone, i'm the proud owner of a SL5500 living in preston, lancashire. Its good to see other Z users in the uk.
djl
Here is another Southampton/London (but this time home/University) user.
Recently obtained a 5500 to play with Java API to Bluetooth.

Another UK user here, in Southampton/London (university/home). Previously had a Sony Clie T675... yuck... Been using linux on my desktop for a long while now, don't know what possessed me to buy a palm - Sold it to buy my 5500 - Loving every second that's passed since that decision smile.gif
gromituk
Hello people. New owner of an 860 here, in S London.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.