Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Watapon ROM
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > Sharp ROMs
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Chaos
Well, I've gone and finally gotten my ROM for the SL-5600 finished, and what a nice one it is. Based on the Sharp ROM (1.32), with improvements. It's got many of the features people seem to like about Zynergy, but without the GUI package installer crash.

The zImage is basically the stock Sharp one, with one minor difference, the cache bug workaround is disabled, increasing speed, and MAYBE decreasing stability. I say maybe because I don't have any issues with stability on it.

Also, an IPK feed (very limited selection currently - just the stuff I wanted) is available, although one IPK causes an error - not sure quite which one, but this error doesn't really cause any problems. All the programs work fine. Any suggestions of IPKs to add are welcome. Of course I'll repackage them for this ROM. I plan to add the removed Games soon, just haven't had the time yet. And if you know which IPK causes the problem (I'm too lazy to test them all tongue.gif), tell me, and I'll try to fix it.

Find it at http://www.duelmonsters.ca/zaurus/

And what is a Watapon? It's that fuzzy puffball of an avatar I have. It's a creature from a TCG I play.

Feel free to suggest things, comment, whatever.

EDIT: If you're wondering where 1.0 went (it's ver 1.1 thats available for download), 1.0 was the one I originally planned to put up, and named it such, but I ran into a few issues that had to be fixed. So I renumbered it for the final release.
Chaos
Bugfix for the Memory applet icons not appearing... Will be incorperated into next ROM release.

Go into the Terminal (Utilities -> Terminal) and type the following commands...

cd /home/QtPalmtop/pics/
mkdir memory
cd memory/
ln -s /usr/QtPalmtop.rom/pics/memory/info.png
ln -s /usr/QtPalmtop.rom/pics/memory/memorytabicon.png
ln -s /usr/QtPalmtop.rom/pics/memory/storagetabicon.png

Then go to the Shutdown app (Utilities -> Shutdown) and hit Restart Qtopia. The icons on the memory applet will appear.

Also as a side note, for the next release, does anyone know the maximum size of the initrd.bin for a 5600, so I know how much space I have to add programs into the RO space?
ced
can you post some screen shots?
Chaos
QUOTE(ced @ Aug 16 2004, 12:27 AM)
can you post some screen shots?

Ah, sure I'll do that sometime tomorrow. Probably once I've gotten more work done towards the next version (which will add some more stuff). It's not like the screenshots are going to be spectacular... It's not like an amazing ROM, it's pretty well standard. Nothing real exciting.

Anyways, I'd better get some sleep if I plan to be up at a decent hour today.

Edit; And never mind about the initrd.bin sizing. I forgot about just using df to see how much space was left on /... Turns out I had room for basically one more app, which I chose to be QT/Opie Reader.
ScottYelich
awesome...
I'll try this on my 5600 -- as OZ/OE appears to be still brewing.

08:52:01 (4.42 MB/s) - `watapon_SL5600_1.1.tar.gz' saved [22085535/22085535]

ROFL!

mirrored! :-) http://zaurus.spy.org/feeds/5600/watapon/

Scott
Chaos
QUOTE(ScottYelich @ Aug 16 2004, 06:56 AM)
awesome...

ROFL!

mirrored! :-) http://zaurus.spy.org/feeds/5600/watapon/

Scott

Thanks! Appears my site is down currently (first time in over a month...), so having a mirror is nice! wink.gif

And just so you know, the next version of the ROM should be even nicer than this one. wink.gif Like that little memory applet bug with the symlinks squashed, and built in QT/Opie Reader (and if you don't have a use for it, look at: http://www.manybooks.net/ ). Also will be a minor hack to the sysinfo program to grab the version number from a file, rather than just the default 0.0.

And hopefully a larger IPK feed without that bug in the one (I'll test all the IPKs to figure out which one it is - and then fix the little bug).
Chaos
Updated the ROM to 1.2, with some fairly minor changes to the userland stuff, like a small hack to the sysinfo program, and the addition of QT/Opie Reader. Behind the scenes, I got myself some more space to play with by getting it to untar AND un gzip the .*_default files, giving me another 600 KB of free space on the RO part of the ROM. Also set the Address Book to show all available fields by default, and set the Citytime to have 5 default timezones, the ones I use, one Canadian city per Canadian time zone. Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, Halifax, St. John's. Of course the Address Book and Citytime options are changeable, I just set the defaults differently.

Also... if anyone has any bright ideas of what can fit into 600 KB with ease, let me know. (Maybe libopie1? The sysinfo program is actually the OPIE/Qtopia applications for 3.10 ROM ports that can be found on http://community.zaurus.com/, FYI.)

The IPK feed is unchanged as of current, but I'll work on that tomorrow.

Also the small website is changed a bit, making it a bit less ugly, and better by using relative links to everything instead of direct links.

Also, as ced requested, SCREENSHOTS! Find them here: http://www.duelmonsters.ca/zaurus/screenshots/ They're not much, but they do give a good impression of the ROM and what's in it. They were taken on a 100% fresh install of 1.2, no IPKs, and only the firstboot setup run. No other changes (hey, this ROM is so close to the way I want it that I don't NEED to make changes tongue.gif).
osmedd
Hmmm.... tried to download 1.2 from the home page and got a 'permission denied' error.

I installed 1.1 and everything worked great for 12 hours or so, but then my WCF12 card stopped working and I have been diddling all day trying to figure out what happened.

This card had previously worked for months under the tkcROM, so I am a little puzzled.
Chaos
QUOTE(osmedd @ Aug 16 2004, 07:23 PM)
Hmmm.... tried to download 1.2 from the home page and got a 'permission denied' error.

I installed 1.1 and everything worked great for 12 hours or so, but then my WCF12 card stopped working and I have been diddling all day trying to figure out what happened.

This card had previously worked for months under the tkcROM, so I am a little puzzled.

Permission denied, eh... I'll fix that. Re-uploading 1.2 now. I'll make sure the permissions are set right after it finishes. Give it about 8 minutes from now and try again. (Uploaded and permissions set right as of now. Give it another shot at downloading.)

I don't have a clue about the WCF12. What do you mean by "Stopped working". Details and I might be able to help, as I have a WCF12 myself, and it's always worked (except under certain versions of OZ).
ScottYelich
QUOTE(Chaos @ Aug 16 2004, 01:21 PM)
QUOTE(ScottYelich @ Aug 16 2004, 06:56 AM)
awesome...

ROFL!

mirrored!  :-)  http://zaurus.spy.org/feeds/5600/watapon/

Scott

Thanks! Appears my site is down currently (first time in over a month...), so having a mirror is nice! wink.gif

And just so you know, the next version of the ROM should be even nicer than this one. wink.gif Like that little memory applet bug with the symlinks squashed, and built in QT/Opie Reader (and if you don't have a use for it, look at: http://www.manybooks.net/ ). Also will be a minor hack to the sysinfo program to grab the version number from a file, rather than just the default 0.0.

And hopefully a larger IPK feed without that bug in the one (I'll test all the IPKs to figure out which one it is - and then fix the little bug).

well, it's not an automatic mirror... I just grab some files as I come across them.
As I have a 5600, I grabbed this.

ok, grabbed 1.2

22:27:35 (5.18 MB/s) - `watapon_SL5600_1.2.tar.gz.2' saved [22218400/22218400]

5MB/sec :-)

Scott
Chaos
QUOTE(ScottYelich @ Aug 16 2004, 08:30 PM)
well, it's not an automatic mirror... I just grab some files as I come across them.
As I have a 5600, I grabbed this.

ok, grabbed 1.2

22:27:35 (5.18 MB/s) - `watapon_SL5600_1.2.tar.gz.2' saved [22218400/22218400]

5MB/sec :-)

Whoo! I never realized the server my site is on was THAT fast. I guess it's my net connection that give me slow speeds, not the server.

And thanks for the mirror again. smile.gif

Edit: I figured out which IPK was giving the trouble and why. When I upload the feed again (with more apps!) it'll be corrected. It was qpenmapfe, with a data.tar.gz sitting in the root, trying to be installed, but since / is readonly, it spat out an error.
ced
the icons are pretty ugly... you should try the crystal GT/SVG icons set... :-)
Chaos
Ooh! Yay, nicer looking icons. The ones I have are nicer than the Sharp defualt ones.

The Crystal ones are even nicer! smile.gif Yay. *runs off to set up new icons for the next release*

Edit; I'm looking over the icons and some truely nice ideas are coming over me... Like basically replacing every icon I possibly can with a nicer one. Of course that's for next version of the ROM, which will be a while, since this one has no bugs, that I know of, and the next one would be feature release.
ced
you "should" try to port/integrate the cacko ROM to the SL-5600. It's better to have a good ROM instead of different flavour floating around. just talk to 'maslovsky'...
osmedd
The weird thing about my WCF12 card is that it seemed to work after I rebooted with the new Watapon ROM, but when I woke up the next day (I was doing this at 4am after all) the Zaurus always claimed that the network card was "busy".

I can't see why that is, though when I insert the card the activity/status light comes on immediately (which it never did before, I always had to have an active net connection for it to be on).

Also, the CF icon shows on the sub-status/menu bar (what is that thing called down at the bottom?). I don't remember seeing it there when I first booted up. I thought perhaps it was thinking the wireless card was a disk drive or something.

I am going to grab 1.2 and see if reinstalling makes any difference. It is odd that I haven't had any issues with either the Sharp ROM or the TkcROM. I have been debating reinstalling TkcROM, but I've been kind of busy.
osmedd
But I'd have to second the vote for getting the Cacko ROM ported...

Any ideas what's involved in doing a port like this? I happen to have had an abrupt change in career status, so I have quite a bit of time at the moment (now that the dust has cleared at least).
Chaos
Have you done a full reboot since this happened with the WCF12? As in Utilities -> Shutdown and then hit Restart. That may fix the problem.

And on the Cacko, personally I think I'd prefer to just keep working on my own, for a couple reasons. One, I have all the power over what is done on it, rather than something someone else made... Second, it'd probably work best for one with both a C series and a 5600, considering it would probably not work well, blindly trying to make it work not know how it's supposed to work in the first place...

Of course if someone else wanted to do that I wouldn't try to stop you. wink.gif This ROM is just a small personal project for me, really...
scooper
Just wanted to say thanks for producing a tastefully-done ROM for the 5600. The faster kernel, root user, omitted games, included opie-reader and advanced file manager, are perfect compromises for my needs. Hopefully others are benefitting as much as myself. I appreciate the effort and the contribution.

Thanks!!
Chaos
QUOTE(scooper @ Aug 22 2004, 08:37 PM)
Just wanted to say thanks for producing a tastefully-done ROM for the 5600. The faster kernel, root user, omitted games, included opie-reader and advanced file manager, are perfect compromises for my needs. Hopefully others are benefitting as much as myself. I appreciate the effort and the contribution.

Thanks!!

Thanks for the compliments. smile.gif I really appreciate this sort of feedback.

Next week I'll work on that IPK feed. smile.gif More apps, and probably repackage the removed games into IPKs so you can install just the ones you want. Any suggestions of useful IPKs to put into the feed are greatly welcome.
maslovsky
And on the Cacko, personally I think I'd prefer to just keep working on my own, for a couple reasons. One, I have all the power over what is done on it, rather than something someone else made... Second, it'd probably work best for one with both a C series and a 5600, considering it would probably not work well, blindly trying to make it work not know how it's supposed to work in the first place...

Yes, it's totaly up to you - but I'd suggest to just take a peek on the Cacko ROM change log, between 1.165 and 1.21. If you like reinventing the wheel, then you're on the right track... Good luck smile.gif
scooper
Some random suggestions.

findutils - so that find is more equivalent to what you get on the desktop.
vim - better vi editor.
gwCalc - or some other improved calculator.
vnc - with auto-started fbvncserver to make using the zaurus in a desktop window easy.
ssh/openssl
Default to TCP/IP over usb. Allows vnc, ssh, etc. to function "out of the box".

A database or better address book.
A simple scripting tool. Python would be my preference.

Another dream of mine is a webserver, e.g. Apache that provides useful access to information stored on the PDA. E.g. you could point a desktop web browser to http://192.168.129.201/pim/ and see the calendar, addresses, to-do's, etc. without synchronizing. It would be even better if you could edit through the web interface. Of course if I wasn't so lazy I'd work on this myself. smile.gif

Hope this helps. Thanks again.

Cheers,
Steve
Yasen
QUOTE(Chaos @ Aug 17 2004, 04:09 AM)
(hey, this ROM is so close to the way I want it that I don't NEED to make changes tongue.gif).

Have you tought of leting others to do the same? Isn't it posible to strip all exept necery setings tools, make all space enhacing triks and add freed space to internal flash.
For those 600kb you could ugrade Opera to 7.30. I don`t like the Sharp pims and use kpims. I'm not sure if this will free some space in the rom but surely will free some ram. There is a new version of clock and calculator wich will free some more ram.
BTW what kernel do you use?
gilkyboy
Thanks for the great ROM!!

I'm definitly starting to realize why I got a zaurus in the first place, and your ROM is great. My 5600 is a dream now.

I would like to request/suggest that you somehow manage to make it sync with linux like a good linux machine should, as I can't seem to figure it out. I'm pretty sure it's because it's based on the Sharp ROM. Is it possible to copy the files and imitate the way the 5500s used to sync on this ROM?

Again, thanks for the great ROM and keep up the good work!
cleophus
I'm having a problem with my SMC 2642W WiFi card. When I try to connect, I never get past the Initializing stage. It shows up in the menubar when inserted, and the link light blinks as it's trying to connect, but it eventually fails. The card works fine with the standard Sharp ROM. Any ideas?
osmedd
Just to followup on my problems with my WCF12... after flashing to the 1.2 Watapon ROM, everything worked great.

Also, I'd like to echo others support, this ROM is great!

I would like to get the new Opera though (hint hint).
Chaos
QUOTE(osmedd @ Aug 31 2004, 07:37 PM)
I would like to get the new Opera though (hint hint).

Ok, well I've been thinking about the next release. The Crystal icons will be in it.

Opera 7.3? I might, but I've heard bad things about speed on the Zaurus compared to 6.0... If anyone can give me some insight on the speed considerations, I'll definatly think hard about it.
Chaos
QUOTE(scooper @ Aug 23 2004, 09:56 AM)
findutils - so that find is more equivalent to what you get on the desktop.
vim - better vi editor.
gwCalc - or some other improved calculator.
vnc - with auto-started fbvncserver to make using the zaurus in a desktop window easy.
ssh/openssl
Default to TCP/IP over usb. Allows vnc, ssh, etc. to function "out of the box".

A database or better address book.
A simple scripting tool. Python would be my preference.

Another dream of mine is a webserver, e.g. Apache that provides useful access to information stored on the PDA. E.g. you could point a desktop web browser to http://192.168.129.201/pim/ and see the calendar, addresses, to-do's, etc. without synchronizing. It would be even better if you could edit through the web interface. Of course if I wasn't so lazy I'd work on this myself. smile.gif

Not bad suggestions, and I'll play around with some of them (for example vim shouldn't be too hard to swap in over vi [swapping it in because of space considerations]), but SSH, VNC, etc. would be hard to include because of the lack of space left over. But I will pack that sort of thing into IPKs. wink.gif I'll include a better calculator in 1.3 (which should be out in the next few days -- the last major release for a long while, since I've got school starting soon).

A better Address Book would be difficult, especially if you wanted it integrated with everything else, since the Email program gets the names/etc. from the DTM database, nowhere else. If Ko/Pi gets a mail application and becomes more stable and mature I'd highly consider making the Sharp PIMs and the Ko/Pi both optional in IPKs.

I'll see about defaulting to TCP/IP over USB. Probably just a config file change somewhere simple. wink.gif

Python or something on the Zaurus might be a bit hard. If anyone has any IPKs anywhere of Python or PERL or something for the Zaurus I'd be more than willing to repack them and throw them into the IPK feed.

And the websever serving up the PIM stuff would be an incredibly in-depth project, beyond both my current abilities and time constraints. It would be incredibly cool though. wink.gif If anyone ever does create such a thing, again, I'd be willing to include it (again, probably as an IPK).

And as a final note, I'm only replying to this now because I simply missed this reply and the one right after it. Sorry. tongue.gif
Chaos
QUOTE(Yasen @ Aug 25 2004, 12:00 AM)
Have you tought of leting others to do the same? Isn't it posible to strip all exept necery setings tools, make all space enhacing triks and add freed space to internal flash.
For those 600kb you could ugrade Opera to 7.30. I don`t like the Sharp pims and use kpims. I'm not sure if this will free some space in the rom but surely will free some ram. There is a new version of clock and calculator wich will free some more ram.
BTW what kernel do you use?

I can't strip away and make it user installable because of the way it works. It'd have to be re-partitioned, or completely re-done. Sorry, but it's just not viable. As I said in my last post, once KPim/Pi gets a good mail client, and becomes more stable and mature, I'd not object to making it or the Sharp PIMs as options in IPKs.

And I'm taking Opera 7.3 under consideration if someone can tell me if there's a speed difference between it and 6.0 (as I've heard there is).

And the kernel available with it is a custom one. It's the stock Sharp kernel, except missing the cache bug workaround (that practically cut the speed in half). It technically should lower the stability a bit, but I haven't noticed anything. Of course you can use any 5600 kernel you want.
Chaos
QUOTE(cleophus @ Aug 25 2004, 02:05 PM)
I'm having a problem with my SMC 2642W WiFi card. When I try to connect, I never get past the Initializing stage. It shows up in the menubar when inserted, and the link light blinks as it's trying to connect, but it eventually fails. The card works fine with the standard Sharp ROM. Any ideas?

I honestly have no clue. I've never used a SMC card before, but please if anyone has any experience with this type of card, please speak up.
osmedd
Well, Opera has a 7.6 preview out that supports Gmail. Once it's released, what would be the best way to test it on my 5600 with the Watapon ROM?
Chaos
QUOTE(osmedd @ Sep 5 2004, 03:19 PM)
Well, Opera has a 7.6 preview out that supports Gmail. Once it's released, what would be the best way to test it on my 5600 with the Watapon ROM?

Is this a 7.6 preview for the Zaurus? Or just a general 7.6 version? Because unless it's specifically labelled as for the Zaurus, it won't work...

I can't find any reference to a Zaurus version on the Opera website (as I believe it was a deal with Sharp to include it with the Zaurus -- not a regularly produced version).
Yasen
Chaos Wast week I was away from my PC and had a lot of time to play with my Z. I found that you didn't remove old systeminfo. It will free only 32kb and some memory, nothing big but it is something. /usr/QtPalmtop.rom/binlib/sysinfo.so or something like this. If you chnage the calculator it is there too.You could change standart TextEdit with ZEditor and ImagePad with qpPhoto. They have more options and they are more user friendly.
Chaos
QUOTE(Yasen @ Sep 7 2004, 04:18 AM)
Chaos Wast week I was away from my PC and had a lot of time to play with my Z. I found that you didn't remove old systeminfo. It will free only 32kb and some memory, nothing big but it is something. /usr/QtPalmtop.rom/binlib/sysinfo.so or something like this. If you chnage the calculator it is there too.You could change standart TextEdit with ZEditor and ImagePad with qpPhoto. They have more options and they are more user friendly.

Ah, thanks for pointing out the sysinfo library that I missed. I'm going to leave the standard text editor for now, but the calculator will be replaced in 1.3.

Also expect for 1.3...

Opera 7
New calculator (probably gwCalc as earlier suggested)
Crystal icons (very nice icons)
vim rather than vi
findutils
Many new IPKs in the feed

The base 1.3 ROM should be out this weekend (I'd originally planned it for today, but things kinda slowed me down...). The huge IPK feed updates might take another week longer.
Chaos
As I said earlier, if KDE PIM/Pi released another version with a Mail client I'd be willing to give it a go as the default PIM... Unfortunately the whole KDE PIM/Pi set is over 8 MB large. This leaves me with a dilemma. Take out other things to IPKs to make room for PIM/Pi as the default, make both PIM/Pi and the Sharp PIMs as options in IPKs, or stick to the Sharp PIMs until KDE PIM/Pi gets smaller (more around the 3-4 MB range -- about what the Sharp ones are).

Any opinions on this?

Edit: Well, I tried out KDE PIM/Pi, and it's better than the Sharp PIMs... Unfortunately, I've heard it has issues with, especially, contact receiving. So I'm going to stick to the Sharp PIMs for now, being smaller. Maybe once KDE PIM/Pi hits version 2.0.0 I'll take another look.
Chaos
I'm almost finished 1.3. Who's actual version number will come out at around 1.3.6. I've had SOOO MANY builds I thought were gonna be the last one, but turned out to have minor bugs in them...

There's only a couple issues right now.

One, my 5600 version of the IRDA applet doesn't work right (I recompiled after changing the code a bit more. I think this time I've got it -- still have yet to test), and two, there's a few issues with the icons (one not appearing right).

Also...

If anyone knows any or can make any nice SD and CF icons, it would be GREATLY appreciated, as those are the only commonly seen icons that are "ugly" now. wink.gif Preferably if they look similar to the Crystal icons for KDE, as that's what's in 1.3.

So, still aiming for that weekend release. And once 1.3 is out, nothing more except for bug fixes (as if there'll be any!) and program updated versions until at least December.
Tehas
Chaos, with your Watapon ROM, were you able to change the default alarm sound? The one that's built in to the Sharp ROM is annoying.

Were you able to get the VNC server running? I'm using the Overclock ROM and it does not work with VNC server.
Chaos
I'm not sure what alarm sound you mean... All sounds are in /home/QtPalmtop/sounds/, which are symlinks to /usr/QtPalmtop.rom/sounds/, and I didn't change any. If you can figure out which sound file it is that's annoying to you, tell me and I'll try to find a better one and use that next release.

VNC server should work (as long as it's a version reported to work on the 5600 in general). The kernel is identical to the Sharp ROM's, except with the Cache bug turned off (increasing speed). I haven't personally tried though, as I don't use VNC.

1.4 (changed from 1.3 to 1.4 -- I'm going to go to the more standard 1.x, where if x is an odd number it's development version, if even it's stable) should be up later this evening. I'm just too lazy to post it up now (it works well though tongue.gif). The IPK feed will be slightly updated too, with Zautrix's NeIC in there, as opposed to ziciz for an IRC program. It's also been slightly hacked to give compatibility with ~ and & as IRC user prefixes (the source will be available).

So, I'll add a post when I do put 1.4 up. That'll be in a few hours (probably).
Chaos
1.4 uploaded.

Opera 7.55
gwCalc
Crystal Icons
More IPKs

No IRDA applet... It just wasn't working for me when I tried to hack the code for the 5600. I may try again sometime.

http://zaurus.duelmonsters.ca/

Yeh, subdomain now. Little shorter to type/write, although not much...

If you install all the IPKs at the same time, it may seem to spit out an error while installing about 'Terminating Process', but don't worry, they install.

Also the NeIC version there has a minor edit to make it compatible with the IRC network I go to... Probably won't affect anyone else at all.

Have fun with 1.4. The screenshots are updated. wink.gif
mike151
Chaos,

Thank you very much for the hard work you have put on creating this ROM.
I am trying it now, and it looks and feels pretty good. biggrin.gif

Mike
Chaos
Added Keypebble (possibly broken and non-functioning - might require libopie1 (now in base ROM) to be installed - anyone confirm this?), and the Sharp ROM default games to the feed. Any other requests?

Can't be certain the Sharp ROM games work either. They may be missing images. IF THEY DO NOT WORK, PLEASE TELL ME SO I CAN CORRECT THEM.

Thanks. smile.gif

Edit: Updated the ROM image itself. Still just 1.4. Only a very small update... Added libopie to the base ROM, and changed the Email icon to fit in better with the Opera icon. Don't have to update if you don't want to.

Only thing to note is that you'll need the libopie package (for some applications) still if you got the ROM before I posted this message (and don't feel like upgrading). Find it at http://zaurus.duelmonsters.ca/feed/old/
Chaos
Small update. 1.4.1.

Only very tiny changes... Added the konsole with tabs, rather than the non-tabbed version.

Also updated Opie-Reader to 0.7h. And finally, added the Watapon IPK feed to the default config.

And on the website, I noted which IPKs either do or probably do have issues... Tell me if they do (I don't install some of them, as some were requested).
Yasen
Chaos pls give us permision to download that update. tongue.gif
Chaos
QUOTE(Yasen @ Sep 22 2004, 12:36 AM)
Chaos pls give us permision to download that update. tongue.gif

Ah, damnit! I keep forgetting that I mis-set the permissions all the time!

Sorry, will be corrected in about a minute...

Corrected.

Also... Anyone know a good, preferably mplayer-based GUI video player that works on a 5600? I just started getting some full movies on my CF card and realized just how crappy the Sharp Media Player is! I'd love to have a good video player on the Watapon ROM by default!
komoman
QUOTE(Chaos @ Sep 9 2004, 04:48 AM)
As I said earlier, if KDE PIM/Pi released another version with a Mail client I'd be willing to give it a go as the default PIM... Unfortunately the whole KDE PIM/Pi set is over 8 MB large. This leaves me with a dilemma. Take out other things to IPKs to make room for PIM/Pi as the default, make both PIM/Pi and the Sharp PIMs as options in IPKs, or stick to the Sharp PIMs until KDE PIM/Pi gets smaller (more around the 3-4 MB range -- about what the Sharp ones are).

Any opinions on this?

Edit: Well, I tried out KDE PIM/Pi, and it's better than the Sharp PIMs... Unfortunately, I've heard it has issues with, especially, contact receiving. So I'm going to stick to the Sharp PIMs for now, being smaller. Maybe once KDE PIM/Pi hits version 2.0.0 I'll take another look.

Any opinions on this?

I have taken a look at the KDE PIM/Pi and like them. I wouldn't suggest making them the default until they get the contact receiving working, but would like to see the Sharp PIMs taken out so we could only install the PIM that we prefer. I have also look at the Opie PIMs, and like them considerably more than the Sharp PIMs. The problem with the Opie addressbook is when you install it over the Sharp addressbook it dies when you try to access the owner information.

I just got my Z a week ago and I have tried a half a dozen ROMs. Giving each of them a good work out before moving on. OZ is still to unstable, and there are features there that I don't care for. Like I said earlier, I really like the Opie PIMs, and they don't have that issue on OZ. It finally came down to Watapon and Zynergy. I gave them each a more thorough look, and decided that Watapon would work better for me.

The one issue that I had with all the ROMs, except tkcROM, is that they had the PIMs installed already. I would love to see that option open up, so as to choose the one that works best for me.

Thanks for all the work on this ROM. That's what I love about the Z, is the options available to you.

Al
aka komoman
Chaos
QUOTE(komoman @ Sep 25 2004, 12:27 AM)
I have taken a look at the KDE PIM/Pi and like them.  I wouldn't suggest making them the default until they get the contact receiving working, but would like to see the Sharp PIMs taken out so we could only install the PIM that we prefer.  I have also look at the Opie PIMs, and like them considerably more than the Sharp PIMs.  The problem with the Opie addressbook is when you install it over the Sharp addressbook it dies when you try to access the owner information.

I just got my Z a week ago and I have tried a half a dozen ROMs.  Giving each of them a good work out before moving on.  OZ is still to unstable, and there are features there that I don't care for.  Like I said earlier, I really like the Opie PIMs, and they don't have that issue on OZ.  It finally came down to Watapon and Zynergy.  I gave them each a more thorough look, and decided that Watapon would work better for me.

The one issue that I had with all the ROMs, except tkcROM, is that they had the PIMs installed already.  I would love to see that option open up, so as to choose the one that works best for me.

Thanks for all the work on this ROM.  That's what I love about the Z, is the options available to you.

One unfortunate sideaffect of removing the PIMs is probably ending up breaking the firstboot setup, as it asks for PIM Owner Information... The way tKC ROM got around this was by taking the home directory off a working Zaurus and then using that, which was already setup, I believe. Personally I'd prefer to avoid that.

But anyway, who knows, KDE PIM/Pi might be perfect by December (next planned major release of this ROM). tongue.gif

I'll keep it in mind. smile.gif
Chaos
Well, I basically decided to say "screw it" about my plans for December release.

Next version coming up in a few weeks. tongue.gif 1.6, probably. I've been working on it slowly, but steadily.

Removed the media player (too crappy to live), and also swapped out QT/Opie Reader (will be in an IPK). In their place is QPDF2, probably an overall more useful application to most people.

Also, I'm going to compile Busybox 1.0.0-rc3 and use it. wink.gif ar, bzip, etc. built in in this version. I'll create as many symlinks for the commands as I can, all of them if I need to. wink.gif Lots of fun stuff compared to to the old one Sharp used.

Also I'm going to play with MPlayer and create a shell script with, so to speak, optimized options for Mplayer and package it up as an IPK. Of course it'll have to be run from a terminal, but if all goes well it'll just be typing in something like "playmplayer.sh path/to/movie.avi" and it'll "automatically" drop frames, go fullscreen, etc... smile.gif If anyone already knows a "best" set of options to us with Mplayer on the 5600, please, speak up!

So look forward to that, and probably more, in a few weeks.

Oh yeah, I figured a way to backup the PIM, and ONLY the PIM. wink.gif I'll create a script for those who can't sync but want to upgrade. smile.gif Maybe it'll backup Documents and some Settings or Application files as well... Just make the whole process as streamlined as possible. wink.gif
TJRCHKA
Hello Chaos,

I haven't tried your ROM yet, I'm about to. I have to say I appreciate you working on this.
I wish there was someway I could contribute.
I say QPDF2 was a good idea, I think PDFs are very convenient documents.
Can you somehow get VLC (video LAN controller--? I think that's what it stands for) going? I have some games on the sharp rom (special kernel 1.3), will the Apps (games) I have now work with your ROM?

Thanks again

TJ
Chaos
VLC = Video LAN Client

The Zaurus version is command-line only (and I'm nowhere near good enough to write a front-end for Qtopia), so it was a tossup between that and Mplayer. Personally I've used Mplayer for a while on my Linux box and like it, so I decided to use it in an IPK, as I said above.

Any games (or any other applications for that matter) you install should work if they work on the Sharp ROM. Of course you'd have to install all the dependancies, like libSDL.

I've actually added a few libraries to the base ROM, so I'll probably list those somewhere...
TJRCHKA
I went to install some of my Apps I had before your ROM, and the installer says this
"The filename of this package includes character this application can't handle. Please change the filename and retry install. "

This is a game called "Froot", you may notice improper grammar, this is verbatim the text. Other applications give me the same message, these are the same installers I used before.

Anyway any insight is appreciated, I have to say the GUI is quite nice, I love the icons.

And for the first time since I have owned the 2: SL-5600 + SMC2642 wifi card, the card never would see any networks now it sees my Airport basestation and gets signal. This is a first.

But it never finalizes after intializing.

Thanks again for working on the ROM.
TJ
Chaos
Hmm, the filename issue could just be a minor error... I've never had an issue.

Try going into the Terminal, and changing to the directory where the IPKs are stored.

i.e. if it's in the internal flash:

cd /home/zaurus/Documents

OR

cd /home/zaurus/Documents/Install_Files

or on a SD card...

cd /mnt/card/

OR

cd /mnt/card/Documents/Install_Files

If you know basic Linux you should have no trouble.

Once you're in the correct directory, use "ls" to list the files.

Type in (I'll use froot as an example)...

mv froot<Hit tab to autocomplete the rest> froot.ipk

This simplifies the name as much as possible, hopefully stopping it complaining. Try installing again.

EDIT: Oh yeah, theoretically you could use the GUI document tab to do this as well. Just tap-and-hold on the package, and hit "Rename".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.