Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Devloping help
OESF Forums > General Forums > General Support and Discussion > Software
TuxGeek
I am somewhat new to linux and the Zaurus SL-5500. I need quite a good explanation on how to install the dev-image. I do know many computer terms, however, not really many of the linux terms and how to add lines to files. As you can see I need a lot of help.

I am useing a SL-5500 with a 512 mb SD card from SanDisk with the newest sharp rom.

Any help at all would be greatly apprectiated.

All the help I have gotten from these two is appreciated but hasn't done any good. Please I need more help.
Chaos
I can't help with the dev-img, but personally I'd suggest setting up a cross compiler on a full Linux box, as that has a) more space, and b) it's faster, even if the Linux box is old and slow (like my PII), because of RAM and other considerations.
Mag1c
Hi,

the install script of dev-img works for me out of the box. You have to be root to install and you should not run it more than once because it makes changes in /etc/fstab. After installation gcc should be ready for work.

so long
Mag1c
TuxGeek
Sorry but the Help I have received, though greatly appreciated, hasn't helped any. Can anyone else help me.
freizugheit
Get yourself familiarize with Linux system administration, unix command lines before embarking on programming.
TuxGeek
I am somewhat famliar but I guess I should learn a little bit more. Are there any suggestions on where I might learn them. Websites or books or anything.
freizugheit
Which specific areas you want to learn:

System administration
Network administration
Programming

Current level on the following:

vi : ?
Network knowlegde : ?
Progamming background: ?
TuxGeek
I just want to learn what it takes to get a c compiler such as dev-img or zgcc to work and use it. That it all
Thanks
cmisip
I have a howto for zgcc if you want to try it but I have it for the 5600.

http://cmisip.home.insightbb.com/zaurus.htm#CCN
TuxGeek
Thanks very much I actually already found that site and it helped alot. I got to step 4 and everything got really messed up. Could you possibly clarify it a little more, especially the setting up of the compile environment.

Thanks

I got through until

#cp -rf /dev/shm/tmp/* /mnt/card/zaurustmp
cp: /dev/shm/tmp/*: No such file or directory

what do I do here.

also when i installed zgcc.sh alot of operation not permitted errors came up, however it still put all of the header files and all that in the folders.
TuxGeek
Would just anyone who knows what they're doing please help me!
freizugheit
Did you active the installation steps using root?

Are you able to show the contents of this command "ls -l /dev/shm" here?
cmisip
I got through until

#cp -rf /dev/shm/tmp/* /mnt/card/zaurustmp
cp: /dev/shm/tmp/*: No such file or directory

what do I do here.

Your tmp directory might be somewhere else. Just substitute the correct tmp directory.

This is only important if you have a large program that you wish to compile. For test compiling of small programs you can ignore this step.

What this is trying to do is to move the contents of your old tmp directory to the SD card. What does ls /dev/* say?
TuxGeek
My stupid terminal doesn't have a scroll bar so this is all that I could see. Hope it is enough.

/dev/mtdblock 0 /dev/ttyS3
/dev/mtdblock 1 /dev/ttySA0
/dev/nts0 /dev/ttySA1
/dev/nts0a /dev/ttySA2
/dev/nts0l /dev/ttyUSB0
/dev/nts0m /dev/ttyUSB1
/dev/nts1 /dev/ttya0
/dev/nts1a /dev/ttya1
/dev/nts1l /dev/ttya2
/dev/nts1m /dev/ttya3
/dev/null /dev/ttya4
/dev/par0 /dev/ttya5
/dev/par1 /dev/ttya6
/dev/par2 /dev/ttya7
/dev/port /dev/ttya8
/dev/ppp /dev/ttya9
/dev/psaux /dev/ttyaa
/dev/ptmx /dev/ttyab
/dev/ptya0 /dev/ttyac
/dev/ptya1 /dev/ttyad
/dev/ptya2 /dev/ttyae
/dev/ptya3 /dev/ttyaf
/dev/ptya4 /dev/urandom
/dev/ptya5 /dev/usbmouse
/dev/ptya6 /dev/zero
/dev/ptya7

/dev/msys:
fla fla2 fla4 flb1 flb3
fla1 fla3 flb flb2 flb4

/dev/pts:
#
freizugheit
It presumed that you have skipped step 4 and "source zgcc.sh" was activated wihtout any error message, typing "which gcc" should show "/mnt/card/.zgcc/bin/gcc".

Please confirm.
TuxGeek
When I type "which gcc" nothing comes up, and no I did not skip step 4.

Does the word "source" mean where the file is located on the card.
When ever I do these two commands
#cp -R /mnt/card/ztmp/* /mnt/card/.zgcc
#cp -R /mnt/card/itmp/* /mnt/card/.include
an unable to link... :operation not permitted error comes up. Could this have something to do with the SD card or something like that because I type the su root. I was also thinking that maybe it's because I have a 5500 instead of the 5600 but aren't they pretty mucg the same. I am running a Sharp Rom that was for the 5600.
freizugheit
Is your SD FAT formatted?
TuxGeek
Yes it is.
freizugheit
Symbolic linkages require Linux ext2 formatted media.

Reformat your SD to Linux ext2 format and you should be on track.
TuxGeek
Would you happen to know of either a good program for reading/writing ext2 fs cards in windows, or how to get a card reader to work in Redhat Linux 9

Also I have trouble mounting the card on the Z.

SanDisk 8 in 1 card reader.

Thanks.
freizugheit
I use Partition Magic on Windows platform.
TuxGeek
Thank you very much. I just barely bought it. Just wating for the payment to be passed and then download it.
Mag1c
Hi,

Partition Magic is not for accessing ext2 filesystems, you know ?

There exist a commercial ext2fs driver by Paragon.
You can find here a plugin for Total Commander (read only access).
And this may be useful too.

But IMHO its better to use the Card Reader on a Linux box. If your Redhat is ready for USB usage the Card Reader should work out of the box. The cards can be accessed through SCSI devices (/dev/sd??).

bye
Mag1c
TuxGeek
Would you be able to tell me how to get Radhat ready for USB Storage.
cmisip
You should be able to reformat directly on the zaurus. I have compiled e2fsprogs for the 5600. Dont know if it would work for the 5500 though (It should). If you manage to find an ext3 module for your system, that would be even better so you dont have to deal with a bunch of fscks.
TuxGeek
I got the card reader to work in Linux and formated the card into ext2. This time the operation not permitted error did not come up. I go through the rest of cmisip tutorial and I still can't get the shm stuff going and the gcc and g++ aren't recognized.

Also haveing trouble installing perl.
Mag1c
Hi TuxGeek,

any success so far ? If not, what exactly you have done ? It was very easy for me, to install dev-img on my Zaurus. Copy the dev-img and install script to SD-Card (allready ext2 formatted), run install script as root and ... voila ... ready for compiling.

bye
Mag1c
freizugheit
Hi Tux Geek,

I presumed that your SD is ext2 formatted.

Please post the contents of this command "df" here.

Next, did you see any .zgcc and ,.include diretories under /mnt/card?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.