Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fast 6000 kernel, along with special libsdl
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > Guylhem Rom
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
adf
Once the moduloes for the fast kernel are all posted, maybe a bunch of us should document 'em..and maybe turn 'em into ipks and pop 'em into a feed on externe and/or anyerlildog2? It would probably be of use.
guylhem
I'll be happy to host them. Send me a mail with the files you want to host on my gmail.com account (guylhem) I'll put them in the flash section. I'll also upload a new backup script to create the same files one can find in the 1.12 rom. (I'm using these files to look where the mtd parameters are given but they can also be used for a complete restore)

Regarding the filesystem I made good progress. I'm now using my hack for everyday use and it seems to work reliably (rw /, got rid of most of sharp garbage). I'll try to have that posted too, but I'd best like to release everything at one (big 64M partition + rw /). I hope we can create something cool for most needs (X, qtopia on flash, qtopia on SD)

PS: could anyone send me a "strings" binary or ipk ? My net access is problematic at the moment (I'm deep in southern France - villeneuve d'aveyron in aveyron)

Guylhem
adf
Asd I said I had "flattened" much of the sharp qtiopia. Now, I'm thinking that If (and I'll play w/ this for the next couple of days) cacko lite could be adopted (I'll know if it's too much of a headache pretty quick, I suspect) that w/ basic xqt2 might be wedged into the 64meg nand w/out insane linking.. either way, I should have some basic thing done with a normal linux tree within the week--it just requires drudgery..following the links, putting the files back where they belong, removing the mystery subdirs (like /home/root/modules --why anyone would feel that to have been necessary....!)
adf
Then again, kdrive doesn't look like too much of a problem to compile...... decisions, decisions.
Probabky I should just get working and see what I can actually make work

edit: RW / would make use of devfs workable, right? that would be a real improvement in the way things are done...
adf
the modules (and some completely useless stuff... sorry, I didn't get it all cleaned out) are uploaded as linux-2.4.18-rmk7-pxa3-common-20041002.tar.gz. 2 kernel variants are there too.
good luck
guylhem
Thanks ads - will put the module on externe.net if you're ok. But don't lose time on the root filesystem- I already have that working, I'm currently working on the 64 Mb partition before releasing it.

I've only done some links only for var and tmp to avoid useless flash wear (they are sharing a shm partition)
adf
can you send me a loadable 64meg? nand image? Woking w/ the 64 meg might make life easier.

I'll get on it asap (been kinda sick the past few days)
By all means post... what I uploaded is crufty and undocumented... can be sorted easily though.
Going cacko will be work..will stay with sharp for now.
adf
QUOTE(adf @ Mar 23 2005, 06:07 PM)
can you send me a loadable 64meg? nand image?  Woking w/ the 64 meg might make life easier.

I'll get on it asap (been kinda sick the past few days)
By all means post... what I uploaded is crufty and undocumented...  can be sorted easily though.
Going cacko will be work..will stay with sharp for now.

edit: er.. did you mean you alreeady got the rootfs setup? (lots of cold medicine)
guylhem
I got a correct rootfs, mostly fixing up etc and root. I'm manually checking everytinh - it's at least a couple of days away from a release, but if you want I can send it to you.

It fits on 32Mb because I'm still experimenting with the 64 Mb partition part (found where I had to make changes !) - it could cause total data loss if I don't find a way to fix at the same time the the normal and the rescue kernel (cause one would want to make 2 32Mb parts, the other one 1 64 Mb part - boot one kernel the other kernel and you'll kill your part).

Fixing both at the same time is not a problem, making sure everything will perfectly work at once is, because I won't get a second chance if things go bad - can you say "bricked" :-)

So I'm carefully studying all that.
adf
PLease do.

32 meg should be fine for a base fs anyway.

I had wondered about problems w/ that 1st kernel.

Mostly, I can do some drudgery and save you some time for the more difficult stuff. Also, I was kinda hoping to use devfs (if it works) If we are going to set things up from scratch maybe a standard kernel doing stuff like devfs (and w/ built in support for the hardware --might mean n, l, w versions) might be worth a look.
Have you got the image somewhere that I can ftp it from?
guylhem
PM me your ftp info and I will upload it.

Regarding devfs, you will have to change the /etc/rc.d/rc.rofilesys (which I already heavily changed)

I also removed the various .xxx_default.tar files that were taking approx 4 Mb just for offering a safe restore option. Reflashing is just as fast :-)
adf
"Regarding devfs, you will have to change the /etc/rc.d/rc.rofilesys (which I already heavily changed)"

er... is this needed change likely to be self-evident? do your changes cover it ( I was assuming they did--that basically i just need /dev to be rw) do you have a suggestion smile.gif

I guess I'll see this weekend.

ps.
Anything I should know re service menus, etc... if, for example, I decide to do a "q,t, reset" reset-to-sharp-default-from-cf will my Z suddenly become insane? same w/ "d,p,reset" restore form image?
Basically, are there any known problems in reset/restore/maintenance/diagnostic options?
eji
What are the chances of this modified kernel and ROM hacks turning into something so straightforward and simple that an idiot like me could install it?
adf
My motivation is personal idiocy. I have a hard enough time doing "regular"linux. "sharprom embedix" is a relative nightmare. The idea is to make the system more manageable, more versatile, but most importantly more comprehensible. The wizardry here is on Guylhem's end, patching the kernel source and changing the NAND format structure and doing the SDL stuff. In the end there should be something that is quite simple to flash, and simpler to use and expand.
xjqian
Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to the "neat" rom and the instructions that i can understand. Let me know if anything I can help, tongue.gif usually limited to documentation and testing stuff

Shall we give it an official name?
adf
we should probably wait for it to exist. It might end up not much more than a rearranged NAND simplified fs w/ 6000 optimizations and a ton o cacko. That would make it 6k cacko, or something like
amdonati
Adf, Guylhem,
do you think that support to CF BT cards (the socket rev. F forst of all! smile.gif ) will finally come in your revised kernl?

I would really like to test it with maslowsky BT applets.

Is there any chance that the US storage function, with maybe compatibility with Maslowsky's applet, will fit in the new kernel too?

I am ready to test! :-)

Tahnks a lot for your effort, and happy Easter!

Adalberto
guylhem
eji, it is far from completion, but when it will ready you'll simply have to plug a CF , reset, and power+ok to reflash

amdonati, the usbstorage has been working for a long time. see externe.net/zaurus/kernel/usb-storage IIRC.

Regarding BT, I will add the modules. Happy easter to you too !

xjqian. Since I spend days and days on the kernel and the various parts, I'd be happy if it could be called guylhem rom (that's my ego showing again, you know :-)
eji
QUOTE(guylhem @ Mar 26 2005, 06:31 PM)
eji, it is far from completion, but when it will ready you'll simply have to plug a CF , reset, and power+ok to reflash
This makes me extremely happy, because I'm close to useless when it comes to Linux tinkering that goes beyond a few console commands. smile.gif

Looking forward to the Guylhem ROM!
xjqian
Happy easter and looking forward to the Guylhem room. Btw, I'm interested in the BT modules too. I have a Socket Rev G. Haven't got it to work yet.
adf
there are modules on my ftpsite in the tarball. You will have to figure out which you need. They will be in the bluetooth dir (after you extract the tarball)
coolass
After install, my Z ask for login and password I get to a root prompt but when I type qpe it says "error while loading shared libraries: lidqtopia2.so2:cannot open shared object file :No such file or directory. Once it also said/dev/amp_bios: Permission denied could not open for writing '/home/user/Settings/qpe_new.conf' QCopChannel::send: Must construct a QApplication before using QCopChannel .Any suggestions would be helpful
xjqian
QUOTE(adf @ Mar 26 2005, 06:25 PM)
there are modules on my ftpsite in the tarball.  You  will have to figure out which you need. They will be in the bluetooth dir (after you extract the tarball)

I didn't see any new file on your ftpsite. The only two files are two old zimages created on 3/7. am i not in the right dir?
guylhem
coolass, what did you install ?
coolass
QUOTE(guylhem @ Mar 28 2005, 02:03 PM)
coolass, what did you install ?

I installed the kernel from adf' ftp site
adf
Hmmmm. I'll check again tonight. I thought I had updated.
adf
There! it is updated modules tarball, modules ready kernels with critical l stuff (like ext and wireless and usb buit-in)Not Guylhem's latest version, but the modules should be useful, and the kernels to..till we have finished replacements.. again, sorry about the delay.upload to the site is kinda slow, an I guess I have just been assuming stuff went when it hadn't.

I'll start on labelling the modules (from what the menuconfig tells me mostly) this week

Edit: As I said previously, the modules tarball isn't completely (though much has been done) cleaned out yet. The modules should be good for the kernel version with working usb keyboard--all except the keyboard modules, of course. Any one who gets stuff working, especially Bluetooth, please write it down and let us know.,
adf
Trolling for interest......

who would be interested in kdrive on the fast kernel? My idea is that one could boot to commandline type startx and chroot into pocketworkstation using a native Xserver and no qtopia overhead.
anyone?
scheck.r
A native Xserver, Great !!!

I think many people will be interested in that project.
I guess without Qtopia we will have more RAM available and it will run faster, no ?

I am happy to see as much interest in the 6k, it's such a wondeful machine.

You have my full support.

Romain
xjqian
very weird I got error when trying to install most of my packages from the gui, Error "The filename of this package includes character this application can't handle. Please change the filename and retry install". Never read about this before. Anyway, I'm going to flash back to stock update the kernel.

update: it's my CF card problem. My 6k seems don't like the Kingston Elite Pro card (both 512M and 1G). The above problem(it used to work) and in nand restore: Cant's initiate CF. Maybe the manufacturing tech of Kingston Elit pro, SLM (or whatever it is) is too new for Z? unsure.gif Otherwise it just worked fine. go figure...
amdonati
Adf,
I just downloaded your latest kernel and modules, but before I start installing, I have a couple of questions, just to be sure I do not screw up everything! :-)

The modules installation should be done following Guyhlem Howto I suppose, but in this case, shouldn't we need updated modules links in home too? Or do we not?

Your modules files is 6 mb big, is there enough space for it with the deletion of the whole Opera 6.2?

Any other points of attention?

I am eager to test it and see if the BT card is working!

Thank you,
Adalberto
xjqian
That 6M file is the kernel source files. What you need is the kernel image, i.e. the other two zImage files. And you don't need to go through all the steps in guylhem's how-to

just do the following (a regular kernel update). I've tested myself last night, no problem at all.
CODE
put consolescroll, zImage (ffpe or noffpe), updater.sh in the root of CF (vfat)
suspend, hit reset
power up while holding down "OK" -> update -> CF
wait for 1min until it says "update successful, please reset" ->hit reset.
power up as usual
(remove the confilcting file usb_ohci_tc6393, specified by adf)
mv /lib/modules.rom/2.4.18-rmk7-pxa3-embedix/kernel/drivers/usb/usb_ohci_tc6393.o /mnt/cf/backup (just play safe)
adf
I'm not that slick.

just dl the tarball.
extract it.

have a look at the directories--you will find stuff like bluetooth and usb in /kernel/drivers.
grab likely looking modules, and pop 'em int place in modules.rom--likley looking sub directory.

then just insmod 'em and see if they work. play around with various pieces (some o that stuff is c objects that aren't modules--a bit of trial and error is called for)

I basically compiled a bunch o modules that people can pick and choose from.the deal is more like find the right module put it in a likely dir, insmod it and try it out. if it doesn't work delete it and try again when you get stuff working, let us know-!
amdonati
Ok adf, as soon as I have some time I'll try it
Ill let you know,

Thanks,
Adalberto
guylhem
Hello

The new kernel is approaching. Today I got my first success with the rescue kernel update (ie using my own kernel to reflash a new copy of itself) which means the 57 Mb rw / partition is only a matter of hours (depending on my free time :-) - all tests are good. I must just run a jffs2 creation script and flash that.

Today I fixed additional keyboard problems; it is now a pleasure to use the internal and an external keyboard. I recommand Axim/Stowaway bluetooth, because that's what I'm using and you can be sure it'll work as expected but any standard pc USB keyboard will be fine too.

I plan to release an updater.sh which will :
- update both the normal kernel and the rescue kernel to the newest keyboard model
- create a single 57 Mb / partition in read write, which everything where it should be. No stupid symlinks or whatever.
- maybe update to qtopia 2.11 because I just noticed qtopia 2.11 roms where starting to be available...

I will see how they works because I still have problems with qtopia part of the keyboard fix. I would like to release soon, then fix later. Documentation on the flash process (because adf had a problem with the files I gave him) is also very important to encourage further hacks of my rom.

Documentation of the keyboard changes would be interesting to C3000/C1000 users who also can use usb external keyboards; and any zaurus user with bluetooth (CF...) using a bluetooth keyboard.

Anyway hopefully I will start looking at 2.11 soon. I'm quite interested in compatibility tests, ie how good do non free apps (opera, hancom...) work under 2.11; and whether soft float is used. So if someone has some free time and can give 2.11 a try please do and report how it works.

That may be the good reason for a initial release using 2.11 or sticking to 1.7
adf
I tried 2.1.1. what trolltech released was based on OZ 3.3.6. I think that this might mean recompiling the whole thing to work on your 6k setup.... Wasn't there something about video acceleration in shaprs lib qpe though? If so, maybe it would ake sense to do the compatablilty libqtopia thing as has been done already for 1.7 by maslovsky

I'm looking forward to the 57/7 NAND setup. While I admit to not having replaced / successfully, I would think that if you are doing a whole new config you can take your Z and either pull a rom off of it (best solution) or do a NAND backup and post the sys006.dbk, thus saving much labor and confusion for all.
zipmaster
i dont know if i should blame this on the fast kernel or not but is anyone having problems with irda when using it?
adf
no.
xjqian
can somebody give me an definitive answer about the conflict between bluetooth and fast kernel?

Is it because of the inherent nature (i.e. soft float, such) of fast kernel cause trouble of bluetooth or is it because the bluetooth module built into the exsisting fast kernels not working with my BT card.

if it is the latter, adf: could you do me a favor to build a kernel without BT built in? so i can install the working bluez package myself.
trichmon
Does anyone have a copy of the modules that adf compiled? and has anyone had this working with usb ethernet or cf bluetooth ?

Thanks
Todd
adf
QUOTE(trichmon @ Jun 5 2006, 09:30 PM)
Does anyone have a copy of the modules that adf compiled?  and has anyone had this working with usb ethernet or cf bluetooth ?

Thanks
Todd

I think they are still on my server at anyerlildog2.com/zug you'll probably have to download some extraneous crpwith 'em, though.... I built then tarred with minimal sorting. kernels should still be there as well.

There is a nice kernel at tetsu's site, too If you can't find it in english, Bam's site has a link to it.
trichmon
Thanks man,

I can only find a kernel for a 3100 on bams sight.
adf
Here

I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to. Let us know how it works?
trichmon
do the tetsu kernels support overclock like the Guylhem kernel? I have to admit that the tetsu kernel "seems" much faster than the stock kernel. I have installed the overclock info and battery applet from the guylhem but i cant tell if it makes any difference.

Todd
adf
haven't tried it on the 6k. it does overclock on the 3100, I'm pretty sure it will on the 6. try glxgears at different clockspeeds and see what you get
trichmon
Well so far the tetsu kernel seems to be really good. I installed it and the modules ipk i found on his webpage, and the battery applet linked off page listed in the first post in this thread. I have not found glx gears anyplace so I can test but I have used a stop watch and opened opera. The difference between the highest setting and the lowest setting is about 1 sec. Not scientific but thats what I have smile.gif.

Also all the extra kernel modules I have installed (for usb ethernet etc) seem to work as does bluetooth with my bluetooth cf card. Im tweaking my video setup to see if it is better with the new kernel.
AeroSigma
I've got Tetsu's kernel too (from the site, just like trichmon), and when overcolocked, it is faster. I downloaded a pretty hefty video, and it runs noticably smoother when over clocked. PS, I've downloaded the qclockchange applet as well. It works great, but make sure it's executed as root (hold the stylus on the icon to get the menu.)

I was wondering, does anyone have a copy of the libsdl that guylhem mentions in the first post? I'd like to try it out with the hardware buttons for SNES, but of course, externe.net is down.

Thanks,
AeroSigma
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.