These look to be excellent boards! (This is my first post.)
I am very, very interested in buying an SL-5600 in the next few days but I have a couple questions, first. I've done tons of reading already, but can't find the answers to these questions.
1. If I go with OpenZaurus/Opie (as I would need to in order to sync with TrollTech's Qtopia desktop for Mac OS X) am I able to backup and then re-install into OZ/Opie the application programs that come stock from Sharp--specifically the Microsoft Word compatible word processor and the Excel compatible spreadsheet? (Hancome Office?) (Note: I definately do not want to lose the programs that ship with the unit just because I need to install OZ/Opie. I think I saw a post on how to do this somewhere but can't find it anymore.)
2. In regards to #1 above, how do I do this? (Or where do I find instructions?)
3. In order to compile Linux apps to run on the Zaurus, must I use a cross-compiler or is there a native compiler for the device (or would this be stupidly slow and clumsy so don't even consider it)?
4. I've seen this site: http://www.killefiz.de/zaurus/ Are there any others like it? Or is this the definitive site for Zaurus applications?
5. Can any of the applications from the site mentioned in #4 run on the SL-5600 no matter which ROM (Sharp, OZ/Opie, etc.) is being used on the device? That is, are applications typically dependent or independent of the ROM being used?
6. How fast is the Zaurus? I mean, how fast does it feel? Does it take a long time to load an application? Is using the machine responsive? Say, loading a web-page with the wireless card installed--does it draw the web pages fairly quickly or just as fast as my desktop machine or am I going to have to wait long, long seconds before a page renders?
7. What else can you tell me before I go and buy a unit?
Thanks so much. I would appreciate any help that anyone can offer!