Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: had my c860 for 3 hours now it wont even turn on
OESF Forums > General Forums > General Support and Discussion > General Discussion
markedman
I have had my c860 for 3 hours now it wont even turn on I flashed it to cackos new rom

i hit the ok button and start with out dooing the remove replace thing now it wont even turn on please help hopfully i just didnt loose 900 bucks
kic
More info on what you were doing/what it did?

If you haven't removed the battery yet, do so. If it still won't turn on after popping it back in, you may consider charging it for a little while. I noticed last night that when the battery gets totally drained, it needs a while to charge before the unit will even turn on, regardless of it being plugged in.

Sorry, can only offer the obvious right now.
markedman
i got it working again but i just installed the new cako rom and the screen horriabily out of sync i touch one part of the screen and the cursors way on the other side is there any way to fix this
Chaos
Settings tab -> Recalibrate
markedman
there is no settings tab in this cako rom dose anyone know a better rom
markedman
please someone just tell me a better rom is there a rom like the one it came with but in english would like to get this done tonight
Chaos
1. Cacko is the best C-series ROM. The Sharp ROM is ok, but since you have to change the locale, it has some problems.

2. There IS a Settings tab in EVERY ROM that I know of that is QTopia based. It's usually right next to the Documents tab on the end.

3. Wait more than 6 minutes before posting again and again. Give people a CHANCE to respond.
jrsjkd
Full sentences with punctuation might be nice too. blink.gif
markedman
You're really sick if thats what you are woring about sorry.
markedman
just one more thing i reinstalled the cacko rom again re calibrated the screen its still horriable even though it works fine when flashing
Omicron
Are you using CACKO Rom with patch B ?

It really sounds like you are flashing a really bad ROM (or a corrupted download) or you Zaurus is messed up (by which I mean a hardware problem...but that is a long shot....even so, you have warranty support so lets take it one step at a time)..

Two things to try:

1) Try re-downloading the CACKO ROM from here and install it using a DIFFERENT CF card (or SD card)...assuming you have one:
Cacko Rom With HOTFIX B

2) Try PDAXROM and see if that works better for you...it is an excellent alternative to CACKO:
PDAXROM

Main thing is to relax and take a deep breath. If worse case scenario, pop the CD in your PC and re-install the Default Sharp ROM and do the englsih conversion. Not to say that is a permanent solution, but it is a good sanity check to make sure your hardware is okay.....which should put your mind at ease.

I really think it is likely you got a corrupted ROM image....or your CF card has got a bad block and is giving you a faulty install.
Omicron
By the way, don't take the criticism about your posts to seriously. I think people are just joking with you.

Believe me, if my C860 was having the issues you described when I first was using it, I would be ALOT more frantic than you.....trust me on that one !!

Unfortunatley, it is late and the board might be a little slow now, so if you don't get any feedback and help tonight, just come back tommorrow and re-add a reply to THIS thread (don't create a new one) and it will BUMP to the top of the stack and you should get alot more help from alot more sources.

Not meaning to offend the people offering help tonight, just saying that someone else may have seen the same issue as you and a wider audience and more minds generally lead to a quicker solution.

$900 buck is alot of money, we all feel your pain...but we all also know that experience has generally shown that these things are *ussually* not hardware problems (thank goodness) but more often just a bad download or incompatible CF card, etc.

For example, I have one cheap CF card that only works every 10 inserts or so...the rest of the time is only recognized as "Anoymous memory" or some such thing....and doesn't let me read or writte to it.

It unfortunate that the Z requires the first thing you do to be to FLASH a new ROM, which while relatively simple, can be maddening if something goes wrong.

But beleieve me, if anyone can help you out, it is the knowledge-base of the people in this forum. You just might need to wait until tommorrow to get some more points of view. It is very late where I am, so I may be calling it a night as well.

If my suggestions don't help, just let it go for now and get some rest. In a few hours the UK guys will be up and about....and then in about 8 hours the US guys will be up...so more help is on the way smile.gif
markedman
got it all working but i how do you install programs on to your c860 having a hell of a time
Omicron
QUOTE(markedman @ Oct 14 2004, 01:03 AM)
got it all working but i how do you install programs on to your c860 having a hell of a time

You should just download the IPK file, put it on a CF card and goto the System tab and select Add/Remove Programs.

Then Select Install and it will list all the IPK files it finds (on all media ...SD or CF) .

Then select the one you want to install and when the popup window comes up, select either SD card or Internal Memory (Internal Memory works best as some programs must be installed there and other do not)...it will then say "please wait" while it installs.

Then once that is done, install another IPK, etc etc.

The process won't complete until you EXIT the Add/Remove Programs Application (at which time it will say "please wait" for a little while...longer if you install lots of programs in one shot.)
markedman
can you install off sd card or no
Omicron
I think so, but I have never tried.
markedman
i install program to / but i cant find the program any where am i dooing somthing wrong
Omicron
Try a simple game like ICEBLOXX and see if it show up in GAMES,.

I know THAT program will install correctly.

You see, the programs resides (the icon that is) wherever the DEVELOPER decided they wanted it to go and there is the possibility that the program you installed was not created into a valid IPK...meaning it failed installation.

That''s why I suggest ICEBLOXX...becuase I know it will install correctly.

Generally People install from CF TO SD as the SD is used for swap file and is semi-permanent in thier Z....While the CF is swapped out for WIFi, Bluetooth, etc.
markedman
nope np luck didnt show up i am using the package manager thats is right right
Omicron
QUOTE(markedman @ Oct 14 2004, 02:04 AM)
nope np luck didnt show up i am using the package manager thats is right right

Could you describe what you are running?

What ROM....What version?

What program are you trying to install?

Thanks.
markedman
some pdaxrom 1.0.0.0 it pretty ugly looking have anything better in mind
iamasmith
Oh classic !,

Sorry Markedman, I think you feel foul of something that was quite likely to happen to a newby sooner or later.

That explains your lack of a Settings tab.

You are NOT running Cacko ROM, you are running an OLD version of PDAXROM (which is dealt with on another forum). I would suggest that if you want to run a Sharp compatible ROM and use the regular apps on ZSI that you download Cacko ROM 1.21 and the hotfix B using the Download Section of ZUG not the Cacko website as the Cacko website is now soley devoted to the PDAXROM project.

See the Pinned topics at the top of the Sharp ROM forum for more information.

Hope this helps and you have better luck.

BTW: It's a REAL GOOD idea to charge your battery for 24 hours without using the unit when you first get it.

- Andy
Omicron
QUOTE(markedman @ Oct 14 2004, 02:21 AM)

Sorry man, I just couldn;t keeep my eyes awake. I think the best ROM for newbies (like me, yeah, that's right, like me) is CACKO QT, Exactly the version I posted to.

As for installing software, I never used PDAXROM to install with app with PDAXROM., But the list I gavce you was for Cacko ROW, The install files and Instrcustions are in thte fiids on that site.

I am very sorry, I wasted your time, I thought you hadd gotten CACKO ROM running.

I will have to ask you to keps with the loca, PXAROM GURUS/

I Suugest a modify on you oringinal post or statrting a WHOLE NEW YHREAD ASKING dor PDXAROM Helps.

O
_Psycho
QUOTE(markedman @ Oct 14 2004, 02:21 AM)

Check the download section here for the cacko ROM smile.gif

and as for pdaxrom, the version 1.1.0 RC5 is the lastest and is 25 times faster. No wonder you dont like the 1.0.0 at all.
lardman
Full sentences with punctuation might be nice too.

No; probably just can't be arsed to have to work out what the sentences mean. Punctuation is there for a reason. My thinking is that if you can't be bothered to state your problem clearly (punctuate and spell correctly for example) then why should I be bothered to answer?

If English isn't actually your first language then my apologies; I make mistakes in French and German too (esp. the punctuation in German!).

Regarding re-calibration: Off the top of my head, I think you probably want to delete a file in /etc called something like 'pointercal'; then re-boot and you should be asked to re-calibrate.

Regards,

Simon
Omicron
QUOTE(lardman @ Oct 14 2004, 08:39 AM)

Full sentences with punctuation might be nice too.

No; probably just can't be arsed to have to work out what the sentences mean. Punctuation is there for a reason. My thinking is that if you can't be bothered to state your problem clearly (punctuate and spell correctly for example) then why should I be bothered to answer?

If English isn't actually your first language then my apologies; I make mistakes in French and German too (esp. the punctuation in German!).

Regarding re-calibration: Off the top of my head, I think you probably want to delete a file in /etc called something like 'pointercal'; then re-boot and you should be asked to re-calibrate.

Regards,

Simon

<rant>

Giving someone a hard time becuase of how they type is really inappropriate.

I read my last post from last nite and I was barely making sense, just beecuase I was too tired to proof read.

However, some poeple are just very poor typers or are very bad at grammar....regardless of thier 1st language. Or sometimes they are just panicked as they are typing fast and asking lots of questions quickly.

When you spend $900 on an item and are having scary problems like markedman was having, the last thing you need is someone seriously being picky about your english writing skills.

I thought you were kidding, becuase I really thought no one would really be seriously giving him a hard time about that.

Lardman, I have read many of your posts and you are very helpful and it is GREATLY appreciated. But I think you are wrong on this point...in judging whether to reply to a person based upon thier grammar/spelling.

Let's face it, all newcomers forget to specify all the info we need to answer the question correctly and sometimes WE forget to ask the right detail ina followup (like I did last night about not finding out he was running PDAXROM). If you are going to be intolerant of newcomers becuase they are not used to forming questions with enough detail, then you are going to miss on helping the people who need your help the most.

But that is certainly your choice to reply or not. But rather than be condecending in your reply, I suggest just not responding at all. I strongly feel that a critical type of reply to a newcomer (who is in need) just drives people away from this site and mis-represents the sharing and comassionate nature that I believe most people here share.

Lastly, I just want to say, that today's newbie, is tommorrow's guru, and vice versa. We were all thier once, so please cut new people some slack....especaially when someone is looking at a $900 paperwieght.

</rant>

Can't we all just get along ? sad.gif
lardman
I agree with some of your points, I disagree with others.

However this is certainly OT. The discussion about spelling/grammar is closed as far as I'm concerned; let's move back to getting this chap's calibration working again.

If anyone really feels they want to respond to this, I suggest you start a new topic in the Off Topic part of the forum, I'll be more than happy to discuss it there.

Regards,

Simon
markedman
thank you everyone
Omicron
QUOTE(markedman @ Oct 14 2004, 07:38 PM)
thank you everyone

MarkedMan,
Your welcome, wish I could have helped more.

Lardman,
Thanks for taking my post in good spirit in which it was intended and I understand your point that we don't agree on all issues...but great minds don't always have to think alike smile.gif smile.gif

And As you said, time to get back to the business at hand....
markedman
just one questionwhen you install programs off the cf to your z built on rom where do you find the program cause i sinstalled a few programs and i cant find them anywhere
lardman
Do you mean that you installed them to root (which is what I assume), or to the CF card?

If you installed them to the cf card, you may need top run ipkg-link:

ipkg-link mount /mnt/cf

so that they are symlinked.

If you installed them to root then they should just be there. Try running:

ipkg files <package name>

to see which files were installed in the package (and then check to see whether they are there).

Si
Omicron
QUOTE(markedman @ Oct 15 2004, 12:45 PM)
just one questionwhen you install programs off the cf to your z built on rom where do you find the program cause i sinstalled a few programs and i cant find them anywhere

Another way to get familiar with installation directoories is to go to google and find WINRAR (for windows) or it's equivalent for whatever OS you run ON THE DESKTOP.

Then take an IPK (the one in question) and rename it from extension .ipk to extension .tar.gz

Then open this fil with WINRAR...You will see on the first level that the gz file contains just one file, double click on that .tar file (no need to extract at all) and then you will see a directory structure....this is the directory sturcture that is refected in your Z when the IPK is installed. GET FAMILIAR WITH THE DIRECTORIES and then when you find the proigram file in the IPK (tar.gz) using WINRAR, just look in the SAME place on either the CF, SD or Internal memory of your 860.

What I mean is, mirror the diirectory(of the IPK) and prepend:

/mnt/card (for SD)
/mnt/cf (for CF)
/ (for internal)

Hope this helps. Onc e you understand IPKs directory layout, you also understand installation layout (and yes they can differ in different IPK....some of this determine WHERE the icon belongs and you wnat Java programs in the Java section, etc).

For example, a java application or applet might look like this in the IPK and the internal memory:

/
/home
/home/QtPalmtop
/home/QtPalmtop/apps
/home/QtPalmtop/apps/java
/home/QtPalmtop/apps/bin
/home/QtPalmtop/java
/home/QtPalmtop/pics

(some of the leaf directories (those with no subs) will contains .image files for the icon (pics), java classes, shell scripts, control files, etc.

Look in the HOWTO's under creating an IPK as well and this gives you an idea of what the developer had in mind when wrapping the program in an IPK installable.

Hope this helps.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.