Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Video playback on the 6000
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Model Specific Forums > 6000 - Tosa
Pages: 1, 2
saakmotu
ok, this one plays without too much trouble, except scaled and full screen... (that probably makes sense)
352x240 fps 29.97 DX50 19679232k

This plays, really choppy. landscaped, scaled and not full screen does seem to help a little (smaller video) the picture quality is excellent, this is a downloaded torrent, but it goes out of sync
512x384 fps 29.97 XVID 182319104k

It's hard for me to tell how well this one is playing because it's an animation (can't tell if it's losing sync)
640x480 fps 30.072 XVID 8323072k

I have checked the "drop frames" option except for the first one, or they all fall way behind, and am using just a straight install of kino2 .22

It makes sense that the AVIs should be optimized for the Z, but noone else seemed to mention anything like that, so I thought, why not at least try to see how hi-quality it can handle.
I'll try one of these suggested apps to recreate them and provide results.
guylhem
Maybe 640x480 playback is possible (with overclock and the correct mplayer options?)

That would be great. Maybe if someone has some time to try that we'll see.
GoLinux
saakmotu,

I encode my movies using Divx compression, 320x240, 250kbps, 15fps for the video and 56kbps or 96kbps MP3 for audio. At 15fps dropping frames shouldn't be necessary to maintain sync between video and audio.

If your PC runs Windows a very good encoding program is VirtualDub (freeware). Once installed I recommend you also download and install the latest Divx codec (the basic version is free as well):

http://www.virtualdub.org/

http://www.divx.com/divx/?src=toptab_divx_from_/index.php

I can also play succesfully MPEG1 and MPEG2 files. although I never use this format as the file size is much bigger.

And by the way, all of them will have the .AVI extension.

Have fun.
saakmotu
THANKS!

These are great tools.

I went to install the Linux apps (avidemux and transcode) but ran into an imcompatibility issue with libvorbis0 vs. libvorbis0a.

I converted this one

down to
320x240 fps 15 DX50 mp3 56k 1972224k

Here it is if anyone needs a test... I'll leave it up for a while, but not forever
Sample Movie (1.97mb)

It plays well in portrait and landscape, but starts to chug when scaled. I tried just converting it down to a lower fps, etc but at 640x480, but it was still choppy. I even took it down to 6fps, at which point the chop was similar to on a desktop machine.

Converting the torrent file now with same settings.

I don't know much about all these videodub options, so any advice to improve performance would be appreciated.

In the meantime, I'll keep trying different options and report back with success stories/settings.
(I'll probably keep using torrent downloads as they start out with real nice quality).
GoLinux
saakmotu,

I'm not sure about you, but I use mplayer from the command line and using the settings I suggested it plays decently without chopping, although 15fps is barely enough for a semi-smooth playing.

The one thing you don't want to use is scaling, it takes too much processing power. If you want to play 320x240 movies fullscreen in landscape mode, you have to follow Gab74 instructions early in this thread and create a file called fb.modes in the directory /etc:

The file has to have these instructions:

mode "qvga"
geometry 240 320 240 320 16
timings 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
endmode

Then from command line you can launch maplayer with the following commands :

mplayer -really-quiet -framedrop -cache 512 -vo fbdev -fbmode qvga -vm -vop rotate=1 <film_name>

-framedrop could not be necessary at 15fps. You can create the file using vi or any other text editor you may have installed.

By the way, I also tried a short clip at 20fps and it seems to work okay fullscreen even with -framedrop disabled, video and audio don't lose sync.

24fps is already too much for the Z without enabling -framedrop, I will keep experimenting to find the "sweet spot". 15fps is definitely okay, but it is a little to jerky for my tastes, expecially with fast action sequences.
saakmotu
oh, what a difference it makes to run from the command line....

I had been being lazy and running from Kino... but the result is far from the same.

let this be a lesson to others reading this thread.. wink.gif
kdn1480
I'm trying to get VLC to work, someone in the vlc group says that I have an old version of the ipkg command. Well, its the version I got from Sharp. Does anyone know (a) where I can get an updated version and (cool.gif how do I install it since it looks like its in the rom.
enlightened_j
I bouth tkcVideo...
and couldn't get it to work with 6000.

ipkg complains about no architecture and manually copy the file produces:

opt/QtPalmtop/bin/tkcVideo: symbol lookup error: opt/QtPalmtop/bin/tkcVideo: undefined symbol: _7QString.shared_null
soundwave106
tkcVideo I think is the only TheKompany product I've found without a 6000 version of the compile yet.
worri
QUOTE(saakmotu @ Nov 12 2004, 12:22 PM)
THANKS!

These are great tools.

I went to install the Linux apps (avidemux and transcode) but ran into an imcompatibility issue with libvorbis0 vs. libvorbis0a.

I converted this one

down to
320x240    fps 15    DX50  mp3 56k  1972224k

Here it is if anyone needs a test... I'll leave it up for a while, but not forever
Sample Movie  (1.97mb)

It plays well in portrait and landscape, but starts to chug when scaled. I tried just converting it down to a lower fps, etc but at 640x480, but it was still choppy. I even took it down to 6fps, at which point the chop was similar to on a desktop machine.

Converting the torrent file now with same settings.

I don't know much about all these videodub options, so any advice to improve performance would be appreciated.

In the meantime, I'll keep trying different options and report back with success stories/settings.
(I'll probably keep using torrent downloads as they start out with real nice quality).

It seems the sample movie is 480X320 but not 320X240??

# file katamari_sample_for_Z_320x240.avi
katamari_sample_for_Z_320x240.avi: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 480 x 360, 15.00 fps, video: DivX 5, audio: MPEG-1 Layer 3 (stereo, 22050 Hz)
saakmotu
oops.. yes, how embarrassing..
I replaced it with one that is 320x240 (I think wink.gif)
xjqian
Kino 0.4 is out Link

Dowloading... , very slow though. Can't wait to try it out.

edit: won't lauch, disappointed sad.gif
vputz
Trying all this on a 6000L, OZ 3.5.2, and having some issues.

Using Gab's supplied mplayer.conf and fb.modes files, I tried the katmari file, and I get playback which is inverted 180 degrees from the keyboard, full width, but only a wee little strip, maybe 2/3 of the height of the video file (in the seriously drug-induced katmari file, in the opening scene you can't see the cows, and in the, er, "singing ducks and geese" segment, it cuts off right below the beak of the third duck; the bottom duck is not visible).

The text output of mplayer may be of interest; it says among other things "QT_GetRotation: Read spec from '/tmp/qtembedded-root/QtEmbedded-0.spec' Rot=0, Qvga=0". Since we're trying to use qvga mode in the mplayer config, I'm guessing that's not a good thing... and there IS no '/tmp/qtembedded-root/QtEmbedded-0.spec' (not sure what I should put there for a SL-6000).

Earlier in the mplayer output theer are the lines "SDL: Using driver: qtopia" and "Opening video filter: [rotate=1]"...

Am I missing something?

-->VPutz
vputz
Answered my own question; with the given files, the "-vo fbdev" bit was missing, so it wasn't using the FB anyway. Adding that to the command line (I'll put it in the config at some point) fixed it.

Got my fullscreen video now, so the katmari file even shows the proper number of singing ducks and geese in all its psychodelusional glory.

Funny thing is, I really don't have any video I want to watch on the Z, but it bugged me not having it work (heh).

-->VPutz
vputz
Hmm--only now, with the fbdev option, the video plays wonderfully but I can't use any keys to control the playback, or quit the video player. Close...

-->VPutz
adf
I think the cancel button might quit the video player.

edit: I appear to have been wrong on that. sorry.

I'm p[laying with dropping the .0007 mplayer for xmms embedded from oz 3.2 (i'm on oz 3.5.2 opie --it would be .0005 version for sharp) over the mplayer.bin and using xmms. works well.. have to check out the fbmodes though.. right now all is tiny. at any rate I can control and stop the video (though with frame buffer it is kinda by guessing where the xmms controls are) and the ac=mad bit works nicely. it is maybe a little closer?
opiemediaplayer2 at first look --after installing an endless string of libxineblah.ipk is coming along too. I only tried one sample, but video played though audio droppped out.posiibly another instance of having to force it to use mad.
xjqian
see the post in the software section: http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10754

my package:
kino2 0.4.2 from cacko's site
mplayer 1.0.1-1 from atty.jp
default setting + advanced options: -vf rotate=1,scale=480:640
matrix trailer from http://web.mit.edu/~anrp/www/zaurus/mplaye...240_512_128.avi

gives me acceptable full screen playback on 6k, the best option I can find so far. I'm falling back to stock kernel. I expect the fast kernel with overclocking will give me better results
undrwater
Newb question:

The video i had encoded for my 5500 plays slowly if at all on the 6000 using the kino2 and mplayer mentioned above.

Do i need any libs such as ffmpeg and libmad?

Do I need to encode video using a different standard than I did for the 5500?

Thanks in advance!

[edit] OK...newb not reading carefully [/edit]

A few questions:

1) if we were to encode for 640:480 or vice-versa, would we need to change the fb.modes? Would this change the performance or looks?

2) can i get Kino2 to open nfs directories?

3) is anyone else finding that the screen remains "painted" after quitting mplayer/kino2? I can refresh this easily by rotating, but...annoying!

Thanks for all the work done by you beautiful developers and hackers...I hope to one day join you!
xjqian
if we were to encode for 640:480 or vice-versa, would we need to change the fb.modes? Would this change the performance or looks?

no, don't enchode in 640x480. we're not there yet. The framebuffer is not big enough for 640x480. Even it's big enough for that, I doubt the hardwares, bus speed, CPU, etc can keep up with the 4x more data than encoded in 320x240. We are not in the 640x480 era yet.
The -vf scale=640x480 is to interpolate the 320x240 to 640x480 so expect the speed disadvantage. It's not as smooth as on 5x00 for full screen playback.

is anyone else finding that the screen remains "painted" after quitting mplayer/kino2? I can refresh this easily by rotating, but...annoying!
Yes, that is annoying, don't know if it's on the other devices as well.

I don't think so.
undrwater
QUOTE(xjqian @ Feb 17 2005, 01:46 AM)
if we were to encode for 640:480 or vice-versa, would we need to change the fb.modes? Would this change the performance or looks?

no, don't enchode in 640x480. we're not there yet. The framebuffer is not big enough for 640x480. Even it's big enough for that, I doubt the hardwares, bus speed, CPU, etc can keep up with the 4x more data than encoded in 320x240. We are not in the 640x480 era yet.
The -vf scale=640x480 is to interpolate the 320x240 to 640x480 so expect the speed disadvantage. It's not as smooth as on 5x00 for full screen playback.

is anyone else finding that the screen remains "painted" after quitting mplayer/kino2? I can refresh this easily by rotating, but...annoying!
Yes, that is annoying, don't know if it's on the other devices as well.

I don't think so.

Thank you for your clear replies, xjgian. biggrin.gif
eji
Any new developments re: video on the 6000?

I've been using the Zplayer and bvdd mplayer combo (Kino was too delicate for me) with "-vf rotate=1,scale=640:480" in the additional options, and so far I've had a fair amount of success with the first movies I ripped using Handbrake -- Singin' in the Rain and other oldies. Are there any additional commands that can speed things up a bit or smooth them out?
cvmiller
QUOTE(xjqian @ Feb 13 2005, 04:20 PM)
my package:
kino2 0.4.2 from cacko's site
mplayer 1.0.1-1 from atty.jp
default setting + advanced options: -vf rotate=1,scale=480:640
matrix trailer from http://web.mit.edu/~anrp/www/zaurus/mplaye...240_512_128.avi

gives me acceptable full screen playback on 6k, the best option I can find so far. I'm falling back to stock kernel. I expect the fast kernel with overclocking will give me better results

Thanks xjqian,

This did the trick for me. Actually there are newer versions out:
Kino2 0.4.3 http://www.elsix.org/index.php?w=project&p=kino2
mplayer 1.1.5 http://atty.skr.jp/?Zaurus%2Fmplayer

I haven't done extensive testing with video(just a mpg), mostly I have been using it to play streaming audio (since tkcPlayer doesn't stream).

Thanks!

Craig...
eji
I've had some great success with some recent Futurama episodes.

These were already in DivX .avi when I reencoded them for the 6k, but I'd think you could start from any type of file.

Using Quicktime 7, I went into "Movie Properties," selected the video track, and rotated clockwise using the curved arrow button. Simple, though this didn't work for me using the same process in Quicktime 6.

I then exported the file using the latest DivX codec. 1:1 ratio, 540x480 (or that ballpark), 15fps, 450kbps, Better Quality, 2-pass encoding, with an MP3 audio track @ 64kbps/mono. That gave me an 80MB file of a 20-minute episode that played very, very well, though it still chokes a bit during the title sequence (blazingly fast, if you know Futurama). I'm sure by adjusting the keyframe and modulation sliders, I could tweak a bit more performance out of it.

I'm using the bleeding-edge version of zplayer (which trumps Kino), and using the following mplayer settings: -really-quiet -framedrop -cache 2048 -vo fbdev -fs

In any case, this gets a bit more use out of the 6k's beautiful screen, and has dazzled some casual onlookers.
xjqian
QUOTE(eji @ Feb 9 2006, 04:07 AM)
I'm using the bleeding-edge version of zplayer (which trumps Kino), and using the following mplayer settings: -really-quiet -framedrop -cache 2048 -vo fbdev -fs

Thanks for the heads up. The latest zplayer do perform much better then Kino and I love the black background. regarding the options
-really-quite: I didn't use this since I'm not lauching it from console
-framedrop = select drop frame "normal"
-cache 2048: used
-vo fbdev: I don't think this is necessary. If you click "About", it shows the ZPlayer selects fbdev as default for 6k
-fs: this is really nice - centers my movie

It plays my 1.5hr movie (478MB, xvid, 608x320, 12fps, stero) pretty well from my newly acquired 8GB Seagate microdrive (except for a fast dancing sequence, the vedio frame can't keep up). I can upload a clip later. I'm interested to see the performance on other roms (cacko, pdaX, and gulhem) and using fast kernel.
undrwater
Does all this differ from the fbmodes and qvga settings mentioned earlier in this post?

zplayer is really quite smooth, and redraws the screen after a full-screen movie.

@eji: have you ever compared the encoding that mencoder does with quicktime?

Does it hurt anything to put a sample of before and after to see what you're getting?

Thanks all!
james_nak
Ah, good video at last! Thanks for all who posted their experiences.
I am using the following:

Zplayer - http://atty.skr.jp/zplayer/ (or http://atty.skr.jp/pub/zplayer/zplayer_0.1.1_arm.ipk to be precise)
Note: The site is in Japanese [I used to use Kino2 but Zplayer seems to work better with mPlayer and in terms of the screen clean-up after playing a video, there is no comparison.]

mPlayer - http://atty.skr.jp/mplayer.html ( http://atty.skr.jp/pub/zaurus/mplayer/mpla...1.1.5-1_arm.ipk )

Set the following mplayer parameters in the ZPlayer config tab (run Mplayer, goto Tools/Configuration, Mplayer tab, "Use Additional options" )
Enter: -really-quiet -framedrop -cache 2048 -vo fbdev -fs

To play videos in full-screen "magnified mode" find the zPlayer desktop config file (/home/QTPalmtop/apps/Applications/zplayer.desktop) and delete the "Display" line along with it's display parameters. Return to the "desktop" and find the zplayer icon. Hold the stylus on the zPlayer icon until it shows the start-up parametes. Click on the magnified mode. Personally I don't like the giant interface but you can't argue with the video results. Note that this merely doubles the pixels used and so the crispness of the video is lessened. I just hold my Z back a little farther : )

Some of the requestor buttons may be unreadable in Zplayer but it is quite usable.

Also, I noticed if I didn't type in the parameter settings correctly I would get a blank screen. So if you do, check that. The Cancel button, by the way, closes the app.

Again Thanks to all who posted before. I would be nowhere without you.
xjqian
mplayer handles QVGA xvid files encoded with Qpixel and GMC without any problem. I use two-pass encoding with Gordian Knot on a Win machine.

Here are my configs
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.