Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: USB Adaptor & Cables
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Model Specific Forums > 6000 - Tosa
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
freshroastedpeanut
If you get a small USB hub you can connect up a bunch of stuff to the Z while in the cradle. Plus if you find a powered hub you don't have to supply power to the accessories you plug in- the hub will power them. I currently use the iriver host cable to connect to the hub, and have a keyboard and USB HDD plugged in. The iriver host adapter cable works well in the cradle- something that my original GoldX cable would not do.
ybiC
Ooot - I hadn't noticed that the iRiver USB host cable can be left on the Zaurus while docking / undocking.

Thanks, freshroastedpeanuts! This makes things much easier.
unplug
Is the cable usb mini-a male -> usb A female?
gdog
QUOTE(nilch @ Dec 2 2004, 09:28 PM)
Is this the Cable that everybody is talking about from iRiver ?

BTW. This is on the US site under Accessories/Hard drive and all Accessories page

This cable is compatible with:
PMP-100 series
H300 Series
H140
H120
H100
iGP-100
iFP-800 series
iFP-700 series
This cable has a standard USB 'A' connector on one end, and a standard "Mini-B" plug on the other to connect to your iRiver player. This USB cable is identical to the cable bundled with the H series, iFP-700, and iFP-800 series players and is approxmately 5' in length

I have an iHP120, and the cable you show is used to connect the player to a Windows box, in slave mode. I've been searching high and low for the host cable that iRiver says came with my iHP120, but though I believe I've found everything else I cannot find the short cable, nor do I remember specifically seeing one.

The other thing is that the shorter, host cable on their site has a female, full size connector on one end. This is to accept the standard, male A of the slave device. I don't think the cable you show will work as a host connection though I have never tried. If I had a female to female coupler I would, but alas I don't.

If someone could confirm or refute this, what I'm thinking is that the host cable may have male pins that fit into the center-most female receptacle, which is white, on the port on the bottom of our 6Ks (and my iHP 120). If true that would be the difference between the host and slave cables, because the slave cables do not have pins, instead they have an edge connector that rides under that white center connector.

Regards,

gdog
jbruno
Well, I just got my iRiver cable today. It has the mini-A on one side, and a female "normal" USB female on the other (like what every USB port on the back of a PC).

I plugged it into the Zaurus, inserted the cable in my Archos Jukebox Recorder, hit the power on the recorder and the 6000 froze solid! I had to hit the reset on the back and reboot. Repeating led to the exact same results...

Anyone know what is going on here?

This is the cable I got:

http://www.nexternal.com/iriver?Product=104
vputz
I'm not sure if it's the same thing, but I've had the same reaction plugging in a keyboard that is connected to a ps/2 to usb converter--Z locks solid and bricks itself for a while--even the power light won't come on. Scary as heck; eventually a hard reset fixed the problem.

I haven't tried to verify, but MAYBE this is related to a sudden power drop when you plug in the USB device on battery power. Have you tried plugging it in only when the power is connected?

Of course, in my case it's still academic since the symbols on my keyboard don't work, but I guess you can't have everything.

-->VPutz
jbruno
Well, I have my Archos Jukebox recorder working now on the Zaurus with the IRiver cable.

I still have the problem where when I plug it in, the Zaurus will freeze - even if the Zaurus is on AC power. WHY?? This is a *BIG* disappointment

However, if I turn on the jukebox and attach it prior to rebooting the Zaurus, it will boot up ok.

Then I can:

modprobe usb-storage
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbstorage

And hear the drive spin up!

Files show up in /mnt/storage/* - 20GB drive on the Zaurus!

Now to figure out how to avoid entering the commands (I just want to plug and play)
binjinx
This works nicely also

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...21182&CatId=445
jbruno
Wow! I like that connector better - don't need two cables.
I wish I knew sooner, since we have a TigerDirect right in town here, and I waited a whole week for the iRiver cable.

I think I'll pick up one of those retractible ones.

Thanks for the link.
ceffyl
Fascinating thread! I have an Archos Jukebox Recorder as well and can't wait to try hooking it up to the Z!

I have the Ziplink USB cable (which works well with the Archos Jukebox). I have an additional adapter cable that will let me connect the Z to the Archos.

Does the cable have to be a "host" cable? I'm not sure what the differences are.

Thanks.

~Ceffyl
gdog
Note that the Tigerconnect cable is not labeled Mini A to A. Instead it says A to Mini 5-pin. That 5 pin could be a mini b, which is not much different physically. You have to look carefully or compare them side by side. But electrically they are very different.

I have two of the iRiver cables on order. Can't wait to get them and see if my thoughts on the pins turns out to be factual.

When you think about it, it's kind of lame of Sharp to sell a device that has host capability but not sell a cable to take advantage of it. Of course given the fact that they don't even support the device itself outside of warranty work it shouldn't come as a big surprise. After all "Sharp Minds" don't necessarily have time to consider the more mundane aspects of Customer Service. Not that I'm bitter mind you dry.gif

Regards,

gdog
jbruno
Another update - it turns out the Zaurus will not freeze up if I turn on my jukebox prior to inserting the cable in the Zaurus. If I insert the cable first then turn it on, it locks up the zaurus.

Also, I added this line to my /etc/fstab:

/dev/sda1 /mnt/usbstorage auto noauto,user 0 0

So now I can (as root) do "mount /mnt/usbstorage" after plugging it in.

Can this be fixed so:
1) I don't have to be root
2) I don't have to manually mount it
gdog
Good info jbruno, especially the fact that it will not freeze if powered up before connecting it. I've got a cable coming and I'd like to try a few things. Don't want to have to reset my Z...

Thanks,

gdog
binjinx
Gdog, try rereading that tiger direct header again it says Male Type A-Mini USB 5-Pin to Male Type A Connectors where do you come up with B ??

I have this and it works plain and simple
cycojesus
Hi everybody smile.gif
Is there anybody living in the USA who could sell me the "iriver cable" ( http://www.nexternal.com/iriver?Product=104 ) and send it to me in France ?
gdog
QUOTE(binjinx @ Dec 22 2004, 08:04 AM)
Gdog, try rereading that tiger direct header again it says  Male Type A-Mini USB 5-Pin to Male Type A Connectors where do you come up with B ??

binjinx,

This is what I see

"Zip-Linq's uniquely designed retractable USB A to mini 5-pin cable is a must for mobile PC users that require one of the most advanced space-saving technologies available."

and this, lower down

"Connect your computer to a digital camera, MP3 player or any other USB device that requires a mini 4-pin USB connection. Easily extends to more than two feet by pulling both ends. Durable ABS plastic housing is less than four inches long when retracted! The perfect 4-Pin Mini USB cable solution for mobile users on the go!"

Of particular importance there, aside from what it doesn't say, is the fact that it does say it is a 4-pin connector. I believe, though I may be mistaken, that the host cable requires and uses 5 pins...come to think of it, the top description contradicts the bottom description. Says 5 pin on top, and 4 pin on the bottom.

And I don't see anything there about it being specifically a Mini A cable.

The reason I said it may be a mini b is that the mini a and mini b look very similar, but are incompatible both physically and electrically. And there is much confusion surrounding even the mini a host and mini a slave cables. I have an iRiver iHP120 that came with a mini a slave cable, which is used to attach the player to a pc for the purpose of dragging and dropping files where the iHP is a slave device, but it cannot be used a host cable to connect peripherals or other hdd's to the iHP. The same port on the device is used however. So before I plunk my money down on yet another cable that may or may not work I'm going to make darned sure it is described in such a way that it will provide a host connection between my device and another. Which is why I've ordered two of the iRiver cables that consist of a mini a male to standard a female.

Regards,

gdog
pldrouin
QUOTE(gdog @ Dec 22 2004, 06:28 PM)
Gdog, try rereading that tiger direct header again it says  Male Type A-Mini USB 5-Pin to Male Type A Connectors where do you come up with B ??

binjinx,

This is what I see

"Zip-Linq's uniquely designed retractable USB A to mini 5-pin cable is a must for mobile PC users that require one of the most advanced space-saving technologies available."

and this, lower down

"Connect your computer to a digital camera, MP3 player or any other USB device that requires a mini 4-pin USB connection. Easily extends to more than two feet by pulling both ends. Durable ABS plastic housing is less than four inches long when retracted! The perfect 4-Pin Mini USB cable solution for mobile users on the go!"

Of particular importance there, aside from what it doesn't say, is the fact that it does say it is a 4-pin connector. I believe, though I may be mistaken, that the host cable requires and uses 5 pins...come to think of it, the top description contradicts the bottom description. Says 5 pin on top, and 4 pin on the bottom.

The reason I said it may be a mini b is that the mini a and mini b look very similar, but are incompatible both physically and electrically. And there is much confusion surrounding even the mini a host and mini a slave cables. I have an iRiver iHP120 that came with a mini a slave cable, which is used to attach the player to a pc for the purpose of dragging and dropping files where the iHP is a slave device, but it cannot be used a host cable to connect peripherals or other hdd's to the iHP. The same port on the device is used however. So before I plunk my money down on yet another cable that may or may not work I'm going to make darned sure it is described in such a way that it will provide a host connection between my device and another. Which is why I've ordered two of the iRiver cables that consist of a mini a male to standard a female.

Regards,

gdog

It says it is Mini-A. Look at the title bar of your browser smile.gif
gdog
QUOTE(pldrouin @ Dec 24 2004, 10:42 PM)
QUOTE(gdog @ Dec 22 2004, 06:28 PM)

binjinx,

This is what I see

and this, lower down

Regards,

gdog

It says it is Mini-A. Look at the title bar of your browser smile.gif

You're right pldrouin!!! It does say that. Bad habit of mine, I almost never look at my title bar rolleyes.gif

Now binjinx, when you say "it works plain and simple", are you referring to using it to connect to something in slave mode, such as to your pc to run "Zaurus File Transfer" or in host mode? If you are using this cable to run your Z in host mode, what device are you connecting to the full size male A connector on the other end of this retractable cable?

Thanks,

gdog
dfisher
Anybody know anything about this Sync Cable?
Boxwave miniSync
Tom61
QUOTE(dfisher @ Dec 28 2004, 09:45 PM)
Anybody know anything about this Sync Cable?
Boxwave miniSync

That's not a host cable, that's for plugging into your Z into your PC.
BarryW
I think I found a better adapter. No cable at all! Picked it up tonight at Fred Meyers but found it on the web here.
BarryW
Another pic.
saakmotu
nice and compact... good find

did you have to buy the whole kit? (I know you said Fred Meyer, but the link is to a universal kit from JandR)

I sorta like the short bit of cable on the iRiver for the same reason I like the 2.5->3.5 adapter from Seidio.. to mitigate extra stress on the port.

That said, I might still be interested in getting one if one can just buy the single adapter and not the whole kit.
mimsmall
I've been reading the various posts concerning the USB connector on the 6000L. HDs, keyboards etc.

So, if we are using the USB port on the bottom of the 6000L, the Zaurus is the host and any client hardware can be plugged in, correct?

And IF the drivers are available and installed we should expect everything to work.

This is wishful thinking.
BarryW
Have to get the whole kit. I've never been able to find the adapter by itself.
mpers3
Ok, I hope that someone can help me out here. I have an Archos Arcdisk and an Archos AV340. I have been able to successfully connect and use the AV340 and various USB thumbdrives as external HDs for the Zaurus via the USB host and cable from iRiver. But for some reason I can't get the ARCDISK connected.

Here is the process:

1. Go to terminal and login as SU
2. mount /dev/sda1 /usr/mnt.rom/usbstorage

And I get:

Mounting /dev/sda1 on /usr/mnt.rom/usbstorage failed: No such device or address

This command worked for the AV340 and the USB drives. I can also go to system info and it lists ARCDISK USB2.0 under USB devices. When I reboot and disconnect the ARCDISK it doesn't show, so there is some kind of comm happening. Any ideas?

I am fairly new to Linux. I am learing. As soon as I get comfortable with on the Z I will most likey go to it on my desktop as well. I would also appreciate any help on getting these USB devices to automount if possible. I think that I understand that it takes editing fstab, but not really sure how to do it. I know vi is an editor I can use, where can I get help on using vi? Or are there others that are better/easier?

Oh, one more thing, I have tried the ARCDISK with and without external power. I also verified that it is fine by connecting to 2 different PCs, one running 2K and the other XP. Both recognzed and used the ARCDISK no problem.
soundwave106
The only thing I've used with the USB port so far is hard drives. It works with a mount / unmount command very well. I hear many USB keyboards work very nicely too.

Others -- well, it's a driver thing. USB mice need work, from what I hear.
bgsfh
BarryW - I found that same part in a smaller adapter kit from G.E. that I got at a closeout store in Pennsylvania. If you look around enough, you would be amazed at what you can find.

mpers3 - Here is the url of a page of vi commands that I find very helpfull.

http://www.chem.brown.edu/instructions/vi.html
kmeaw
Qtopia does not support USB mice, it works only with touchscreen. Use X11-based ROM instead.
nilch
Does the USB cable from Sharp ('part CE-UC1) work with the 6000L ?

The cable seems to connect to the port on the bottom side of the 6000L if inserted face down, but when I do connect the 6000L to my windows XP box, the new hardware popup does not come on and windows doesnt detect the 6000L at all.

My C750 did work though with the same box and same cable.

I just want to enable VNC between XP and 6000L.
gdog
I got my connector from iRiver for my iHP120. Strangely enough it does not fit into my iHP120, but it does fit nicely into my 6K. I've connected a USB keyboard, without rebooting and it does work though some of the keys are either wrong or do not produce anything at all.

But I was wrong about the configuration of the connector itself. It does not contain separate pins that plug into the inner, female connector on either my 6K or my iRiver. Rather it is an edge connector that slides under the edge connector of the mini A port on my 6K.

But I guess the important thing is that I can now use the 6K as a USB host, providing of course I have a need to connect something to it. I'm hoping to find a keyboard that works correctly for all keys, without having to do a reboot of the Zaurus each time I connect it.

Think I'll try my USB compact flash adapter when I get home and see if I can mount a card that way.
orac
The port on the bottom is for USB host mode only. As far as I know, USB networking is available through the cradle only. I just bridged my ethernet card and SL6000 together and made sure that the USB device was set up for DHCP.
nilch
How does one connect the Zaurus 6000 to the WinXP desktop for file tranfer/VNC etc ?

I dont want to use the HUGE cradle that comes with it. What other third party cable do work with the 6000 i/o PORT at the bottom ?
Even though the I/O port at the bottom looks the same as the I/O port on the C750 (excepting its faced downward), the USB Cable for C750 "CE-UC1" does not seem to work with the 6000L.

My desktop just doesnt detect a new hardware connected when I plug in the 6000L with the C750 cable.

Does SerialIO have any cables (small and sleek with keyboard usable that they are stil selling for the 6000l) ?

Thanx for any pointers
soundwave106
There are a few options available that I know of.

1) Use the built-in wi-fi to connect.
2) Get a TCP/IP CF Ethernet card + twisted pair cable and use that to connect
3) Obtain the ZThinCable USB (Link) for serial port -> USB transfer.

Normally I use standard TCP/IP (wi-fi or ethernet) methods.
nilch
Thanks Soundwave...

Too bad Sharp went and changed the I/O port on the C750 and the 6000L otherwise I guess the C7xxx series USB cable (I have the part as CE-UC1) would have worked directly.

I want to connect to the office machine, so Wifi is out and Ethernet is not an option because of security, so that leaves me with the cradle or some thirdparty cable as you linked.

As a side note : Is there any adapter between the USB cable end which plugs into the Cradle to the USB receiver end at the bottom of the Zaurus ?

Damn - sorry but thats a USB host, forgot...so that wont work either.
I guess somewhere I read that the Serial cable for the earler Zaurus would work on the 6000 with the side holder clips sawed off. Is that right ?
acmeanvil
Nilch,
An I/O cable for a sl-5500/5600 will connect a 6000 to a pc without the cradle (at least in Win2K, WinXP and Fedora Linux). The difference is that the connector in the bottom of a 6000 is turned 180degs from a 5500/5600 (the physical connector, not the connector pinout). However, unlike a SerialIO thincable, you can't use the keyboard on the 6000 while it is plugged in.
dfisher
Hi there,

I am using a MiniSync cable from Boxwave. They're not too expensive and you can find them here:

Boxwave

I use it for file transfer, sync and VNC. They delivered in about 4 days to Canada.

Regards,
Doug
nilch
Thanx. Just ordered the BoxWave miniSYnc cable. Looks nice and carry-able too.
RobbH
As already mentioned, a G.E. USB 2.0 6-in-1 Cable Kit (stock number HO97920) is being sold in closeout stores. I found it in a Big Lots store in Georgia, priced at $7.99. It includes a 6-foot USB extension cable (male A to female A) and four molded adapters that can be attached to the cable. One of the adapters is mini A to female A. I've just used this adapter to attach an iriver h120 player to the 6K. Using directions posted earlier in this thread, I was able to mount the h120 drive and read from it.
gdog
Cool thing about the Zthin cable from SerialIO is that it can be used to charge the Z, and the keyboard can be used while connected (assuming one connects it after the keyboard has been slid open first). Now if only Sharp had not made the Z require a proprietary driver and software and instead just let it show up as a mass storage device....
unplug
QUOTE(Pirate @ Aug 24 2004, 10:15 PM)
Hey
I found a USB to mini A cable that works on a SL 6000.
You can plug USB peripherals such as keyboards, mice, externally powered USB hard drives and card readers into the Zaurus.

http://www.dcables.com/catalog/1_8_meter_u...in__3239068.htm

No, it does not work for SL 6000. They say it on the web site clearly. Too bad I notice that after I placed my order. wink.gif
xjqian
Cool thing about the Zthin cable from SerialIO is that it can be used to charge the Z, and the keyboard can be used while connected (assuming one connects it after the keyboard has been slid open first).

"miniSync simultaneously charges and synchronizes your handheld".

I don't see why you can't use keyboard with the miniSync as with the Zthin

QUOTE(gdog @ Jan 18 2005, 08:18 PM)
Now if only Sharp had not made the Z require a proprietary driver and software and instead just let it show up as a mass storage device....

The only solution I see is to carry a usb thumbdrive, as you probably would anyway rolleyes.gif , with the sharp drivers loaded in it. Anybody got better solution?
nilch
Just got the Boxwave miniSync cable yesterday, fired it up today at office and everythiing works fine - File transfer (which is so damned slow) and VNC. It does also charge the Zaurus (so I can possibly keep the charger at home).
Note : it also seems to work fine thru my USB hub on my monitor.

I really do miss the USB storage feature that my C750 (Caco ROM) had. That was so nifty to tranfer files between my HDD and Zaurus. Allright the Zaurus file transfer utility does do the same, albeit you have to start off a new app (it does not work integrated in the File explorer as USB storage feature) - but its sooooo slow and flaky.

I tried the Qtopia Desktop (I dont really need sync) to just sync the Documents tab - so as to use that to tranfer files to the Zaurus, but this Qtopia desktop doesnt seem to have any Documents TAB sync at all - just the regular Addressbook, Calendar and Todo sync.

Well I guess we got to wait till we have a Cacko rom for the Zaurus 6000L too (but has Sharp released the source for the 6000L ?)

Last thought - will give the FTP method a try by installing an FTP server on the zaurus, that should be faster and stabler than the crazy prorietary Sharp file Transfer thingie.
Tehas
I'll second that comment about the Zaurus file transfer being slow.

With my SL5600, I was able to mount the Zaurus (in the cradle/USB) as a remote drive from my Windows box. It was much faster and you could drag and drop files betwen the PC and the Z. In addition, since it was a logical drive, you could edit files right off of the Z's drive (for example fire up Excel to edit a worksheet stored on the Z's SD card.

THe bad news is that I can't figure out how to make it work on the 6000. I've been back over what I thought I did on the 5600 but the 6000 does not work the same way. I cannot mount the Z as a drive. If I'm running on my WIFI network at home, I can see it and mount it after tweaking the Samba stuff. But it does not work over the USB/Cradle at work.

I do notice that when I put the 6000 in the cradle, the qtsamba program starts but I still cannot make the connection.
offroadgeek
QUOTE(dsavard @ Dec 1 2004, 08:30 PM)
I don't know if there is another way to order or get an hand on these iRiver adapters, but shipping and handling charges to send in Canada is 25.00$ for 5$ gizmo. A little bit pricey... sad.gif

hubcapboy: Don't you have a tranfer in Toronto or Montreal????

did you ever get one of these? if not, let me know and I'll ship one to you for free
xjqian
I'm very temped by the Boxwave minisync. But wondering if there're any better options out there. Are the Zthin cable's transfer rate any faster then minisync?

I'm planning to include THIS battery adaptor for minisync if ever going to pull the trigger.
dlee27
Since 6000 came with Samba installed, I just use that to copy files to Zaurus. I don't think it can be any easier.
guylhem
Hello

Can you access the keyboard while charging with boxwaave minisync on a SL6000 ?
That would make it very interesting to me.

Regarding mass storage emulation, I have that working on my SL6000. I did create a separate 128 Mb partition on my 1 Gig SD card, which makes my Zaurus a big USB key :-) That's the preferred method - if you try to access/mount the partition from a PC and the Zaurus at the same time, it crashes often. Using /dev/mmcda2 is a nice workaround.

I also created a small script to switch between usb net/storage modes.

It's just a matter of taking your C750 scripts on your 6000 and using my kernel - I recommand you don't use the ffpe version (some ppl experience bugs) and that you create /etc/modules before starting, or you may experience SD/WIFI problems.
nilch
QUOTE(guylhem @ Jan 25 2005, 11:14 AM)
Can you access the keyboard while charging with boxwaave minisync on a SL6000 ?
That would make it very interesting to me.

I also created a small script to switch between usb net/storage modes.

Sadly you cant use the internal keyboard on the 6000 while using the boxwave minisync. It just blocks the keyboard from sliding out by a little margin.

I would be inetrested in the USB NET/sorage switcher script and try your new kernel too for emulating the USB mass storage feature.
xjqian
QUOTE(nilch @ Jan 25 2005, 03:05 PM)
Sadly you cant use the internal keyboard on the 6000 while using the boxwave minisync. It just blocks the keyboard from sliding out by a little margin.

Can you pull out the cover of the keyboard first, then connect the cable? If not, is it possible to shave down that margin without damaging it? Last question, can I use the serial port on the side of Z6K sled with minisync? no access of internal keyboard certainly offsets the advantage of having this cable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2015 Invision Power Services, Inc.