Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: USB Adaptor & Cables
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Model Specific Forums > 6000 - Tosa
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
xenophobe
QUOTE(coolass @ Oct 25 2004, 01:58 AM)
Actually you can modify the mini-b to fit the mini-a because I did it in March when I got my Sl-6000 but be careful in doing so ,also I wrote a thread about the mini-a adapters and different devices to use with the Z so try a search and see what comes up. The Lexar is one of the devices that I plug into my 6k.

Can you sync you SL-6000 with PC by this modified mini-b cable?
lumi
Actually you can modify the mini-b to fit the mini-a because I did it in March when I got my Sl-6000 but be careful in doing so ,also I wrote a thread about the mini-a adapters and different devices to use with the Z so try a search and see what comes up.

Coolass,

I tried to hunt down your earlier postings on modifying mini-B connectors into mini-A connectors but no luck... searched under "coolass" and mini-a or usb. Great stuff but nothing I could find on mini-A.

Any specific pointers?

Dave
coolass
QUOTE(xenophobe @ Oct 26 2004, 04:27 AM)
QUOTE(coolass @ Oct 25 2004, 01:58 AM)

Actually you can modify the mini-b to fit the mini-a because I did it in March when I got my Sl-6000 but be careful in doing so ,also I wrote a thread about the mini-a adapters and different devices to use with the Z so try a search and see what comes up. The Lexar is one of the devices that I plug into my 6k.

Can you sync you SL-6000 with PC by this modified mini-b cable?

No you can't sync because both are acting as a usb host and they cancel out both the usb upstream and downstream.
coolass
QUOTE(lumi @ Oct 26 2004, 11:31 AM)
Actually you can modify the mini-b to fit the mini-a because I did it in March when I got my Sl-6000 but be careful in doing so ,also I wrote a thread about the mini-a adapters and different devices to use with the Z so try a search and see what comes up.

Coolass,

I tried to hunt down your earlier postings on modifying mini-B connectors into mini-A connectors but no luck... searched under "coolass" and mini-a or usb. Great stuff but nothing I could find on mini-A.

Any specific pointers?

Dave

You need a nice nail file a pair of needle nose pliers ,(pointed tip) and a little patience. First place the mini-b to the Zaurus port so that you can see the fit and then slowly start rounding the top corners all the way back for a good fit. The newly rounded corners might need to be slightly pintched together to give it a soft arch on top of the plug but be careful. If it is done correctly it will fit both the Z and the base. I take no responcesiblity for any damages done and I'm just sharing my experience. Use at your own risk.BUT it's not to risky anyway.
Gaines
QUOTE(Pirate @ Aug 24 2004, 10:15 PM)
Hey
I found a USB to mini A cable that works on a SL 6000.
You can plug USB peripherals such as keyboards, mice, externally powered USB hard drives and card readers into the Zaurus.

http://www.dcables.com/catalog/1_8_meter_u...in__3239068.htm

Do you realize that their page specifically states:

Please note: This cable is not compatible with the Sharp Zaurus SL-6000.
Gaines
I have a CP Technologies 4-in-1 USB Card Reader which has a cable that is normal USB on one end and mini USB on the other. I don't yet know what the whole mini-A vs. mini-B thing is, but I do know that the mini-USB end does not fit my 6k. :(

I really would like to get one of those adapters that's male-female so I can plug a keyboard or whatever straight into it. I didn't see a gender changer in the USB kits and I can't seem to find the iriver one that was mentioned earlier.
hubcapboy
hm... i was worried about this... i think we've encountered the same issue that scared me off chiefing a mini-b connector to fit... before mini-b became the absolute standard (also before there was anything handheld that could behave as a usb host) mini-a, mini-b, and the mini-four pin connector (looks like a very small full size B) were all competing to become the standard. I have an old mp3 player with the mini four pin, which is already hard to find in stores. I don't think mini a ever made it off the ground as a client, but the cable on that site is for that use. When a mini host plug was needed they just decided to use a shape that was already defined. What you're looking for is a five pin, not a four pin. The i-river cable i linked to in my other post is listed as a mini host cable, and it's just a pigtail that gives you a full size a female to plug your peripherals into... as soon as devices with full WIMP interfaces get too small for the full size usb A, we'll see companies come out with mini-mice and the like with mini-a males. Fujitsu and sony laptops have already gone to the four pin 1394 female, which is the mini version of "firewire" that you see on DV video cameras.

There seemed to be some confusion over the link to the host pigtail in the other post, so I won't post it here, but it's found over on the iriver site under accessories (picture of headphones), then portable media player (picture of a mpeg playing handheld). it's at the bottom of the screen.
xenophobe
QUOTE(coolass @ Oct 26 2004, 06:40 PM)
No you can't sync because both are acting as a usb host and they cancel out both the usb upstream and downstream.

Has SL-6000 an OTG host or simply an USB-1.1 host?
el_borak
QUOTE(el_borak @ Oct 24 2004, 08:56 PM)
For the GoldX QuickConnect cables, the best price by far that I've found is CablesPlus.

I just got in my CablesPlus order. I ordered:
  • GoldX QuickConnect, 5in (GXQU-05)
  • GoldX QuickConnect, 6ft (CPCGXQU-06)
I received:
  • GoldX QuickConnect "Bonus Pack - 2 Cables", 18in and 36in
  • GoldX QuickConnect, 10ft
So certainly a good deal (3 cables instead of 2, a more expensive 10' in place of the 6'), but a bit odd. Looking more closely, the packaging for the Bonus Pack is indeed marked GXQU-05, so I'm guessing the "5in" is just an error on their web site.
coolass
QUOTE(xenophobe @ Oct 28 2004, 04:44 AM)
QUOTE(coolass @ Oct 26 2004, 06:40 PM)

Has SL-6000 an OTG host or simply an USB-1.1 host?

OTG is basically a limited usb host but depending on the peripheral it can also act as a client.
xed
What blows my mind is that the 6000 comes with a great USB to mini-USB cable. It was difficult to convince myself and several other people that this was only for the cradle. Attempts to plug it into the Zaurus itself seemed so reasonable yet futile. Scouring the net, I could find absolutely no source for the correct plug with which to make my own cable. I thought of snipping one off of something else, but couldn't figure out what. The iRiver is a good lead, but their website is remarkable in its badness and I only was only able to find what I believe is the exact same USB cable that came with the 6000.

I love my new Zaurus 6000, but I'm still having severe difficulty finding a way to use my USB Happy Hacking keyboard with it.

The dream is 1. Vim, 2. Less than 1/2 kilo, 3. touchtyping..... I'm 2 for 3 now......
Gaines
I realized that the reason why I had trouble finding the adapter on iRiver.com is that I was looking through their PRODUCTS section. You have to go into their STORE then under portable media and accessories to the bottom of the page.

Mine is in transit. smile.gif
hubcapboy
came today, Rio Carbon mounts as 5gig harddisk.

next to see if a mouse will work with GPE...
akpoff
QUOTE(xed @ Oct 29 2004, 11:19 AM)
I love my new Zaurus 6000, but I'm still having severe difficulty finding a way to use my USB Happy Hacking keyboard with it.

The dream is 1. Vim, 2. Less than 1/2 kilo, 3. touchtyping..... I'm 2 for 3 now......

Mmmm...USB Happy Hacking keyboard. I use a USB sub-keyboard with my Z6K that's about the same size as the HHK. Is it everything you thought it would be? I've almost ordered one. The price is a bit steep but worth it if it delivers the goods. Any comments, critics or complaints?

Thanks!

--Aaron
el_borak
Received my cable from iRiver today (actually 2 since they were cheap). Very very nice! Worked like a charm with my keyboard. Small enough to stick in my PDA case.

Great find!
etherised
since i happen to be in korea at present, i was able to find the usb host adapter cable at the iriver product store. i bought 2 host cables at 4000 won each (just under us$4.00 each), and tried connecting my iriver usb mp3 player to my 6000L. everything seems to be working ok -- that is, the 6000 recognizes the mp3 player as a usb based drive, but i can't figure out how to mount the drive.

so in short the cable works like a dream, now i just need to know how to mount the drive so i can read and write to my mp3 player.
lumi
so in short the cable works like a dream, now i just need to know how to mount the drive so i can read and write to my mp3 player.

Does the mp3 player mount to your PC as usb storage???

- Install the terminal program

- Start the terminal program

- su (go to "root" user)

- mount /dev/sda1 /usr/mnt.rom/usbstorage

then you'll be able to see the stuff on /usr/mnt.rom/usbstorage. It even shows up in the Files tab as "Storage /dev/sda1'.

Don't forget to unmount before disconnecting with

- umount /dev/sda1

I haven't seen an app to simplify this.

Dave
hubcapboy
you could script it if you do it that often and don't like opening the terminal... but just to pull out some characters, dev/sda1 is in fstab already, so

mount /mnt/usbstorage

or

mount /dev/sda1

do the trick.
the_oak
I also ordered the iRiver USB host cable. It is a tiny little cable, great for carrying around without the bulk of the full-sized cables. So far, I have plugged in:

1. a Compaq USB full sized keyboard, and it worked without any configurations of any sort! Just plugged it in, and opened Hancom Word, and started typing.

2. a Targus numeric keypad. It also worked beautifully without configuration of any kind.

Other USB devices (Gravis GamePad Pro USB, Belkin USB Optical mouse, Logitech USB WebCam) also detect, and possibly will work if drivers and application support are worked on.
the_oak
Add the PNY Attache USB thumb drive to the list of supported USB devices. You just need to type (as root) mount /dev/sda1 /usr/mnt.rom/usbstorage to use it as Dave said for the mp3 drive.

Wow, USB host is so great!!! I am digging up all the old USB devices I can find to see what does and does not work. Keep you posted.
BarryW
usb.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 19
usb.c: USB device 19 (vend/prod 0x4e6/0x1010) is not claimed by any active driver.

Zio usb cf adapter doesn't work. Neither will my minolta digital camera. Apple's keyboards work though. Hey! The quecat barcode reader works! No translation software so it just inputs garbage but it will scan...
woverin
just a silly question from newbie.
Will the iriver usb host cable work with Z SL-5500 ?
saakmotu
QUOTE(woverin @ Nov 8 2004, 05:43 PM)
just a silly question from newbie.
Will the iriver usb host cable work with Z SL-5500 ?

the 5500 lacks the usb port that the 6000 has

Isn't the USB host plug on the bottom of the 6000 a mini type B, not mini type A?

It appears to have 5 pins, not 4.

If so, I think that this piece will work, too...

http://www.abccables.com/ca-000306.html

however, it lacks the short length of wire that the iRiver adapter has, which is nice for reducing strain on the port

but abccables will also ship internationally, whereas iriver doesn't
hubcapboy
mini-a is a five pin.
saakmotu
yes, you're right.. sorry about that

here's a very versatile one instead
http://www.showmecables.com/eStore/store/v...&idCategory=240
hubcapboy
yup, just to add to that, i did see the quickconnect at the university of washington bookstore yesterday. i'm sticking with the iriver adapter, i'm more likely to carry it around with me.
h00ligan
I ran across this thread earlier today, and stopped by staples to pick up the goldx quickconnect adapter. As irony would have it, I bought a Rio karbon last summer, and I was eager to try this out. Sure enough, the rio came up as a usb drive (although /dev/sda1 was not in fstab as aformentioned). I also used the adaptor to connect to my usb keyboard. Besides a few keys being in the wrong place, I am a happy camper.

Thanks for the information!
ZeeUser
Could someone with a 6000 please look at the following pic of the C3000 (from Conics.net) and tell me if it is the same connector the 6000 uses for USB host (USB Mini-A)?
link
BarryW
It's close. Mini a and b are sooo close it's hard to tell.
h00ligan
I looked at the other pictures on that site, and they were hooking up the 3000 to a mouse, and they comment on the host adaptor... so if I understand correctly it should be an A. However, I have a hard time telling the difference between A and B from looking at it, and would recommend getting the specs for the 3000.
hubcapboy
quick note.

h00ligan: It's not in fstab if you just plug the sucker in, but I believe it is reconized during boot and added to fstab. you have to do a hard reset.

BarryW: bad news... from what I can tell that is not a standard mini a OR a standard mini b. I've looked at these suckers as much as the next guy, and a and b are pretty easy to tell apart: on an "a", the "wide" part is "taller" than the "narrow" part, on the "b", the "wide" part is shorter than the "narrow part.

in other words, the b looks like a rectangle with little wings, the a looks like a wider rectangle with a slice of cheese on top.

looking at that picture, it appears to have beveled corners. god knows what will fit. in a perfect world, that would be a special socket that both a and b would fit into, but whatever.
BarryW
That's what I mean I'm looking at a b and an a right here and it's just barely different.
ZeeUser
I found definitive answers to all my questions at usb.org

The USB receptacle on the back of the C3000 is actually a Mini-AB port. It can accept either a USB Mini-A or Mini-B plug. Which plug is connected to which device determines the role of each device (host or slave). Download the OTG Supplement (See OTG_0a.pdf) to read all you would ever want to know (and then some) about the USB On The Go spec. See sections 3.8-3.11 and 4.5 for connector and adapter info, and section 4.6 for plug and receptacle diagrams.
zahnoliv
Where on the iriver site do you find the host adapter?
saakmotu
in the store,
under Accessories
then under Portable Media Player Accessories...
bottom of the list

yes, its sorta hidden
mimsmall
After receiving my USB mini-A to female A cable from IRiver, I discovered that I also needed a USB male A to USB male A cable. I found one for $2.59 +s&h at www.lsmicro.com
freshroastedpeanut
Another success story- I picked up a "Storage Box" USB laptop drive case and 40G hitachi laptop drive from PCClub last weekend. The case was $30, see:

http://www.pcclub.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A3326312

I am waiting ont he iriver adapter in the mail, but with the goldx adapter I am not able to run the drive without external power on the Z. The drive runs OK on any other machine when powered through the USB cable, so I'm hoping that the problem lies in the GoldX adapter. The drive enclosure is slightly wider and about 1" shroter than the Z and so far works great. 40G for $120, not bad...

Cheers, JJ
cwaig
Anyone got any idea where I can get hold of one of the iRiver host adaptors in the UK?
iRiver's European website doesn't list them as a separate item, and their US site won't accept orders from Europe sad.gif
hubcapboy
cwaig: where are ya dude? I'll be in south wales in late december... would be happy to throw one in the mail while i'm there. like i said before, i bought 4!

pm or whatever.
cwaig
QUOTE(hubcapboy @ Dec 1 2004, 10:21 AM)
cwaig: where are ya dude? I'll be in south wales in late december... would be happy to throw one in the mail while i'm there. like i said before, i bought 4!

pm or whatever.

You should have a PM about this - thanks smile.gif
the_oak
Received external laptop drive enclosure ordered from eBay link today. Used this with iRiver USB host adapter and could not get led's to show green (they only blinked red) I guess it needs more power than it can receive from usb connector. So my guess is that if you don't get enough voltage with goldx adater, you probably won't get it to work with iRiver adapter either. (Not to downgrade the iRiver adapter. It is a great little accessory.) Laptop enclosure works fine with desktop PC, so it is not a total waste. (Only $4.95 anyway plus shipping.) I will keep trying usb devices with this adapter and post results.
dsavard
I don't know if there is another way to order or get an hand on these iRiver adapters, but shipping and handling charges to send in Canada is 25.00$ for 5$ gizmo. A little bit pricey... sad.gif

hubcapboy: Don't you have a tranfer in Toronto or Montreal????
hubcapboy
hehehe... sorry d, direct flight from seattle.

cwaig gets VIP treatment for writing our keyboard driver.
pepilo
Hi, Im also interestet in the iriver cable, where can I get it in Germany?
The german iRiver support dont answers on email.
nilch
Is this the Cable that everybody is talking about from iRiver ?

BTW. This is on the US site under Accessories/Hard drive and all Accessories page

This cable is compatible with:
PMP-100 series
H300 Series
H140
H120
H100
iGP-100
iFP-800 series
iFP-700 series
This cable has a standard USB 'A' connector on one end, and a standard "Mini-B" plug on the other to connect to your iRiver player. This USB cable is identical to the cable bundled with the H series, iFP-700, and iFP-800 series players and is approxmately 5' in length

Jcroto1
No, its under Accessories then Portable Multimedia Accessories. Its at the bottom.

As posted by el_borak earlyer in the thread
saakmotu
here's a link to the page for the actual item..
iRiver PMP USB Host Adapter Cable

This page is supposed to appear in a frame, so not all of the links work properly.
But hopefully this will serve as a guide for those searching to find it.

Or you can search for "PMP USB Host Adapter Cable" from their estore homepage.
nilch
Thanks, just bought it yesterday
:-)

Now just the wait for the Zaurus 6000L to arrive.
and migrate my existing Zaurus C750 to PDAXROM.
smooth
I just bought the 5in and 6ft cables from cablesplus.

Total was $30 with shipping.
I post what I receive when they arrive.

I'm thinking of getting this, too. If anyone wants to go in on an order for Southern California (Orange County or San Diego), please let me know and we can combine orders to save on shipping.
ybiC
I have an SL-600L with expansion adapter, and would like to connect a USB storage device to the expansion adapter's serial port. This would let me dock the Zaurus in it's cradle while leaving the USB key connected.

It's a piece o'cake to use the Zaurus' main USB port for USB storage devices, but before spending even more money on cable adapters, does anyone have thoughts on USB-host-capability of the 6000-L expansion adapter serial port? Or for that matter, for the serial port on the 6000 itself?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.