Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yep, I broke it
OESF Forums > General Forums > General Support and Discussion > General Discussion
Ikkakujyu
I seem to have bad luck with PDAs. I broke my iPaq putting Familiar on it, and now I've managed to turn my Zaurus (SL-5500) into a brick.

Don't ever try swapping batteries in the dark. There's no way to tell which way it's facing. I managed to put mine in upside-down. The unit won't power on. Plugging in the AC adapter makes the charging light go on for a few seconds, then it goes out.

I tried reflashing (OpenZaurus 3.3.5), and it goes through the process, but it still won't turn on. Haven't tried any other ROMs yet. I read elsewhere on the board that you can fix a bricked Zaurus by reflashing with the original Sharp ROM. Haven't been able to try it yet because I only have a 16mb CF card.

Is there any hope, or am I gonna have to send it back to Sharp?
Ikkakujyu
Okay, that was pointless. I had the battery out for a while and I just put everything back together. Works fine. It was scary while it lasted.
Omicron
QUOTE(Ikkakujyu @ Oct 27 2004, 12:26 AM)
Okay, that was pointless. I had the battery out for a while and I just put everything back together. Works fine. It was scary while it lasted.

I could imagine ...

You were lucky

smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
ScottYelich
I've put my battery in upside down on my 760 several times...
the unit doesn't like it, but it didn't kill it.

I did remove it, let it sit... put the batter in normal, attach power...
let it sit for 10... (dead battery?) ... and then it started, etc.

Scott
Ikkakujyu
Well. I can't exactly say it's working fine. The battery is acting funny, but it started a couple of days before I 'killed' it. It won't tell me what the power level is, until it's dangerously low on juice. The ROM I'm using might have something to do with it (OZ 3.3.5) but it worked fine a while ago.

I think I need a new battery anyway because it isn't holding as much of a charge as it did before. I'll probably jury-rig a cel phone battery that has a bit more life, or better yet, can the 5600 battery work in a 5500?
Zuber
I'm sure the pins are off center.

So I assumed putting the basttery in upside down would be like not putting it in at all, since you would not get 2 contacts ?
zenyatta
Yes, battery status reporting is broken in OZ 3.3.5.

z.
Omicron
QUOTE(Ikkakujyu @ Oct 29 2004, 10:05 PM)
better yet, can the 5600 battery work in a 5500?

Yes, but you neeed to cut/file down the plastic nub...

Triied it and it works great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2015 Invision Power Services, Inc.