Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: pdaXrom on SL-6000
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > pdaXrom
amrein
Hi,

Has someone tested pdaXrom on SL-6000? If not, what are the show stoppers you found? Any info?

I guess the bigger issue at present is pdaXrom developpers not having this device in their hands (for test) but... a lot of people here in US should already have hacked this device isn't it? I mean pdaXrom users.

Anyone who can liberate all SL-6000 users wanting to test something else?
nevarrie
QUOTE(amrein @ Oct 27 2004, 08:57 AM)
Hi,

Has someone tested pdaXrom on SL-6000? If not, what are the show stoppers you found? Any info?

I uses a modified verion of the pdaXrom updater.sh to flash OpenZaurus OPIE and GPE to my SL-6000L. I made my version of the updater.sh so it can flash the pdaXrom also. Whne I did flash the initrd.bin(Using my OpenZaurus Kernel) the fash goes just fine but then durring boot it hangs. I am guessing this is due to the 30/30 split on the flash partition and a 40+mb initrd.bin. THe resize of partitons does nto seem to work on the 6k...but I really did nto spend much time on trying to figure out the problem...if anyone is interested in testing this and makign it work you can get the tar for my flash here:

http://zaurus.thegrantclan.org/download/za...20041027.tar.gz

WARNING: that tar file is about 70mb.(Has initrd.bin files for GPE, OPIE and PdaXrom) To uses it just extract the contents to you cf or sd card and doa power|OK boot then choice update for the zaurus maintance menu...then you zaurus will boot into the menu system simular to pdaXrom. Mine has a few menus that work for me when I am flashing between OPIE and GPE...If you need to remove something to make the tools dir smaller you can remove the intrd.bin in the OPIE or GPE dir if you do not wish to flash those to your Z.
nevarrie
I decided to take a closer look at pdaXrom again today and using the updater.sh console I found in /var/log/dmesg this:

CODE
RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
Freeing initrd memory: 8192K
EXT2-fs warning: checktime reached, running e2fsck is recommended
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
Freeing init memory: 156K
jffs2_scan_inode_node(): Data CRC failed on node at 0x000664a4: Read 0x40596715, calculated 0x7f5c2731
Child dir "gtk-2.0" (ino #2256) of dir ino #2144 appears to be a hard link
Inode #3645 was a directory with children - removing those too...
Inode #3646 was a directory with children - removing those too...
Inode #5597 was a directory with children - removing those too...
Inode #5598 was a directory with children - removing those too...
Inode #5599 was a directory with children - removing those too...
Inode #5614 was a directory with children - removing those too...
Inode #5617 was a directory with children - removing those too...
Inode #5618 was a directory with children - removing those too...
Inode #5626 was a directory with children - removing those too...
Inode #5500 was a directory with children - removing those too...
Inode #5502 was a directory with children - removing those too...
amrein
Problems in jffs2 Inode. Your pdaXrom filesystem image is certainly corrupted or not relevant.

Questions:

_ You are using the standard SL-6000 kernel recompiled with pdaXrom gcc and glibc version?
_ Have you modified the initrd and added the corresponding generated modules. I guess your issue come from this.
_ What kind of modification have you done into the pdaXrom installer?

Can a pdaXrom maintainer prepare an initrd and a kernel so people could test this?
nevarrie
_ You are using the standard SL-6000 kernel recompiled with pdaXrom gcc and glibc version?

No...I was using the kernel I compiled for my openzaurus installs and I also tried the kernel that has the overclocking and the libsdl enchancements...I may try to uses the pdaXrom-builder adn try to create a rom and see if that makes any difference

_ Have you modified the initrd and added the corresponding generated modules. I guess your issue come from this.

I have not modified the initrd.bin file...I used the initrd.bin from kathrin-rc5.zip.

_ What kind of modification have you done into the pdaXrom installer?

I added in the lines for the SL-6000 model. The biggest change needed to make it work for the SL-6000 is this case statement:

CODE
          SL-6000)
             MODULESIZE=0x1E00000
            ;;
          SL-5600)
             MODULESIZE=0x1600000
            ;;
          *)
             MODULESIZE=0x1900000
            ;;
          esac

The other changes where so that I could uses my tools dir on my install media along with having the option of keeping several different initrd.bin files on my sd card and choice from the menu which one I wanted to flash. My updater.sh does work for the 5600 also...I have the source for the updater.sh up on my server in http://zaurus.thegrantclan.org/download/za.../updater.sh.src.

Problems in jffs2 Inode. Your pdaXrom filesystem image is certainly corrupted or not relevant.

I get the same kind of errors with openzaurus when the initrd.bin is to large for the partition. I did do a resize to 45 before flashing..The first time I set it to 50 but had problems with the flash erroring out.
Laze
Sash has been looking into this.. First off all the lack of a SL6000 in our hands is a big problem but that might be fixed soon :-)

Secondly the chipset used in the SL6000 is completely different from the Cxxx series so there can be now hardware accelleration right now and some other things are different..

But rest assured that we are working on making support for the SL6000 and as soon we are closer to the complete version of Kathrin we will be looking into the making other hardware work with the pdaXrom.
amrein
It's a good news. Thank for the info Laze.
Tehas
*Bump* I've been toying with the idea of a 6000 and would like to try pdaXrom.
cwaig
QUOTE(Laze @ Oct 29 2004, 01:44 AM)
Secondly the chipset used in the SL6000 is completely different from the Cxxx series so there can be now hardware accelleration right now and some other things are different..

Have you looked at Sharp's kernel source patch for the SL6000? There's some hardware acceleration support in the framebuffer driver included in their code (accelerated blits, etc). It's not much, and Toshiba haven't released the specs for the chipset, so it's the only reference available for how to code it sad.gif
MrZaurus
Hello all I was reading some forums and saw a post mentioning pdaXrom on a zaurus 6000 but it was a few months old. I was still woundering if it was being developed. Thanks for all your help!!!!
Tyris
QUOTE(Laze @ Oct 29 2004, 01:44 AM)
Sash has been looking into this.. First off all the lack of a SL6000 in our hands is a big problem but that might be fixed soon :-)

But rest assured that we are working on making support for the SL6000 and as soon we are closer to the complete version of Kathrin we will be looking into the making other hardware work with the pdaXrom.

As noted earlier in the sl-6000 sub-forum, we've got a fairly large base of installed owners (seeing as how Amazon and other vendors are all sold out). Many of us are would like to support development of pdaxrom for the 6000.

Can any of the pdaxrom developers comment on the upcoming road-map for future releases, and whether there are plans to support the sl-6000. Also, is there a fund setup for hardware and further research/development on the 6000?

-T
adf
Did the pdaXrom team ever actually get a 6000? If so, great, if not could i get a pointer to the "buy the pdaxrom team a 6000" donation link?

edit: Just got a look at pdaXrom "in the flesh". WOW. absolutely outstanding. Had a brief moment of clamshell shopping immediately afterwards.

I'm absolute sure that it would look even better on my 6k. Really.
jdmoorman
Laze,

I have a 6000 that I could loan to the team for an indefinite period of time, if it would be help.
Laze
Feel free to donate using the homepage and hardware can be sent to the adress on the homepage.
jdmoorman
QUOTE(Laze @ Mar 15 2005, 10:13 AM)
Feel free to donate using the homepage and hardware can be sent to the adress on the homepage.

I'll try to get it boxed up tonight and ship it out tomorrow.
I think I still have the original box, manual, cd, etc.
adf
That was extrememly generous, thanks.
Laze
Thank you very, very much.. We will look into it straight aways and hopefully soon we will have a working SL6000 pdaXrom.
jdmoorman
Good news - Bad news

Laze and Sash have the SL-6000 to program to.

The bad news is that they had to pay out $70 for fees & taxes.

It would be great if some of the 6000 owners, who have been asking for pdaXrom to run on them, would be willing to donate to help with these costs.

We should all be inspired by the enthusiasm of this team.
adf
Definitely.
cody
i have managed to get pdaXrom to boot up and the base system seems to work fine, but the x server wont launch. i get an "failure to open screen ':0.0" message.

I used the openzaurus 3.5.3 kernel.

i am going to try the guylhem kernel next. . .
amrein
The pdaXrom X11 server use an SL-Cxxx ATI accelerated X11 driver.
Compiling the server without it (e.g. X11 on top of the standard ARM framebuffer) should be enough.
adf
you mean that is all the pdaX team has to do is recompile the x server for fb instead of ati?
hmmmmmm. If it was indeed that simple, then shouldn't a working 6k image have appeared already?

edit: I was really hoping to see it on my 6k by now, and this much of a wait, knowing that they have a 6k to test on, is pretty disappointing. Since I will assume that they aren't simply mocking us for some sick, twisted clamshell-owner reasons of their own, I have to conclude that getting pdaX working right on the 6k is simply complicated and that we'll see a release as soon as there is a good rom to be released.
Gondola
adf et al:

Anyone had a chance to try pdaXrom rc10 on the 6k yet?
adf
next day or two.

looking forward to it smile.gif
hbo
QUOTE(adf @ May 15 2005, 09:27 AM)
... I will assume that they aren't simply mocking us for some sick, twisted clamshell-owner reasons of their own ...

LOL! biggrin.gif

Yes, my 860 warped my mind so badly, I went out and bought a 6K!

Seriously, what I'd like to see would be the 6K display in the clamshell form factor, (enlarged slightly if necessary ) with built in 802.11g and the built in microdrive.

Oh, and sell it for less than 500 bucks, please. Are you listening, Sharp? wink.gif
Gondola
The built in wifi would make a clamshell very nice. I've tested pdaXrom rc10 for a little bit on my 6k, and although I had one hurdle to get over (my /home directories didn't get created, no .xinitrc) it *looks* beautiful. Many of the apps are landscape-centric instead of portrait (ie, wider instead of taller to suit the 6k's native screen mode). I like it so far, and think it has a lot of possibilities.

Startup and console usage feels a lot more responsive than other ROMs I've used.

QUOTE(hbo @ May 16 2005, 10:37 PM)
QUOTE(adf @ May 15 2005, 09:27 AM)
... I will assume that they aren't simply mocking us for some sick, twisted clamshell-owner reasons of their own ...

LOL! biggrin.gif

Yes, my 860 warped my mind so badly, I went out and bought a 6K!

Seriously, what I'd like to see would be the 6K display in the clamshell form factor, (enlarged slightly if necessary ) with built in 802.11g and the built in microdrive.

Oh, and sell it for less than 500 bucks, please. Are you listening, Sharp? wink.gif

eji
I've been eyeing pdaXrom for a while now. It looks beautiful, it's highly customizable, and I have a feeling it will be easier to sync with my Mac OS X desktop (just bought a new iMac 20" 2GHz!) PIM applications than any Qtopia iteration could.

A few concerns I have:

What about storage -- that is, how much more internal flash memory/SD card space will this eat up? More than a Qtopia ROM?

Is this anywhere near usable for a portrait screen? I find myself reverting to landscape quite a bit while Web surfing with Opera, and it's a real pain in the a$$ to keep twisting the device around to get at the keyboard. I dread that pdaXrom will mean doing everything in landscape mode, and I bought a 6000 because I didn't want the clamshell design (well, let's be honest: it was also a lot cheaper on Amazon).

Will pdaXrom be more user-friendly than Qtopia, or is it still a hardcore developer's ROM?

Will internal WiFi work straight away, or will it take some individual hacking?

Uh, when will pdaXrom for the 6000 be stable and ready for release, and will its complete non-Qtopia-ness mean losing everything I have on my Z when I flash the ROM?
Laze
Quick explanation..

The Wifi will not work easy because of the wlan-ng drivers - look at the RC10 announcement. I haven't written a tool for configuring the built-in wlan yet - but the hardware support and drivers are working. I was kinda hoping that some of the Sl6000 guys could maybe write a new tool for configuring the builtin wireless.

"hardcore developer's ROM?" - don't know i think its just a userfriendly as any other rom.

The pdaXrom has no way of running Qtopia programs as of yet because we think it would be a waste of space - there are plenty of non-qtopia alternatives :-)

Why don't you guys just try and see if you like it - you can always revert back to sharp rom if you don't like it :-)
Gondola
One complaint about rc10 on the 6k. Video updates can be very slow. Booting, console access, menu navigation are all fine and dandy, but when I'm moving a window around the drawing of the window can lag behind my stylus inputs by literally 3-5 seconds.
Gondola
One other issue I have. Internal wireless. I modified the wlan.conf file and copied wlancfg.default to wlancfg-myssid but I'm not sure what else I need to do to bring up my wireless.

Or does internal wireless on the 6k not work in rc10?

QUOTE(Gondola @ May 17 2005, 05:09 PM)
One complaint about rc10 on the 6k.  Video updates can be very slow.  Booting, console access, menu navigation are all fine and dandy, but when I'm moving a window around the drawing of the window can lag behind my stylus inputs by literally 3-5 seconds.
Laze
1. Video accelration is not enabled due to lack of documentation and we can't get neither Sharp or ATI in talk with hardware documentation for us.

2. Gondola we have tried to fix the wireless problems in IRC - when fixed you could maybe post the soultion.
adf
bummer about the wireless. If it helps, lpotter had this issue with qtopia 2.1, and guylhem did hostap, I think..and the OE guys have been working on hostap. maybe there is some info to be had from them?... wlan-ng is always kinda ugly. I'll see if I get any inspiration, but is sounds like gondola did what I had planned.

Isn't the video in the 6k a hitachi chip? there was some discussion of this a few months ago here on zug... cwaiig (I think) had found a few accelerated functions. still, it shouldn'r be too bad. mplayer works pretty well on frame buffer... windows seem to move around ok to me..

the partition thing.... needs to be sorted out if at all possible. 64 megs is pretty small to begin with

other than than.. this is gorgeous (and it does look better on a 6k screen smile.gif ) a really nice gui, good feed, and nice to have X

edit:

I noticed that damnsmall linux has a dillo patched for frames and ssl.... might be useful patches here? ( I know I've posted this 2x elsewhere--it just seems like a good idea)

2nd edit: is there a pager of some kind? how do I move between fullscreen apps (especially since going fullscreen is the easiest way to get a "right-sized" display in portrait mode)
cwaig
QUOTE(adf @ May 17 2005, 05:33 PM)
Isn't the video in the 6k a hitachi chip? there was some discussion of this a few months ago here on zug... cwaiig (I think) had found a few accelerated functions.  still, it shouldn'r be too bad.

I only ever managed to get hardware fill's to work...the codes dead simple though, so putting it into the X driver would be a doddle...(I'm a bit busy at the moment, but if anyone want's some silly sample code for that, they're welcome to it....)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.