Thought I share just in case there is someone interested.
I just completed upgrading my C760 JP to C860 JP spec. I couldn't think of any reason why it wouldn't work. It works and while the Translator is a huge file (50MB), it has far better vocabulary than the standard dictionary so I found it worth while. Of course USB storage is nice. Now I gotta decide which way to converge, X11 or Sharp JP.
Steps I took was:
1) Get ROM image from http://downloads.conics.net/pda/zaurus-sl-.../service-menus/
2) Rename the file from SYSTC860.DBK to SYSTC760.DBK
4) This image contains the translator dictionary in the user area, so if you "Erase All", you will lose the dictionary. I use SD card to hold/organize some apps and data. Transfer "/home/QtPalmtop/translator" to CF/SD card. That's the 50MB dictionary you want to keep.
5) Goto ~zaurus/Setting/ and edit "translator.conf" and "translator_ej.conf" with appropriate paths.
6) Make sure everything works at this point. Backup if necessary. Then, "Erase all" to refresh.
7) Now you can rebuild your Z with the new Translator and USB storage.
Note: You can't "Restore" from the old C760 data, but I suspect if you took the time to edit the backup list files, you could probably do it. I simply rebuit it and transfered the PIM data etc manually.
When you "Backup" now, it will back it up as C860. The service menu will change to C860 as well. No problems so far for me, but do it at your own risk :wink: