Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Debian with Xqt
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Everything Development > X/Qt
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
smuelas
I am running at the moment in my Z6000 with the standard ROM from Sharp and using packages from Xqt, the whole distribution from Debian under the X's of xqt.

Everything is very simple and anyone with a big card or microdrive (no smaller than 500Kb) and able to run Xqt can do it.

I will send some screen shots of different X-applications like Firefox, Konqueror, Kile, Kmail...etc.

Everything is based on Klaus's 'pocketworkstation', but using Xqt instead of Xvnc.

Just small drawbacks as some keys that don't work (three at the moment).

Qtopia running at the same time, everything from the standar software and other packages installed, continue to work nicely, so one can choose the best of both possibilities.

The only price to pay is around 4 Mb. of RAM but I find it extremely cheap for having this wonderful capability.

I have tested it for three days with no problems at all. I am NOT an expert and have modified just a couple of lines of standard scripts.

You can contact me at smuelas@telefonica.net

smuelas
jamesm
sounds pretty good, shame about it being on the Sharp ROM. Could you please post any URL's that you found helpful whlist doing this.
gab74
I'm interested in testing it !.
Please "Smuelas" can you send us all informations ?
ShiroiKuma
Yes, I'd be interested in doing this do.

Would you be kind enough to post a detailed guide on how to set it up.

I'm not an expert either... huh.gif
kcurrie
I too have been running Debian (using pocket workstation) on my Z 5500 (under OpenZaurus in my case) and absolutely love it.
I posted on /. recently about it and reposted it here:
Thoughts on the Zaurus

I've been meaning to slap together a page detailing how to run swap over NFS/SMB (or any protocol) so you can easily have this:
CODE
OZ #free
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
 Mem:        62388        54924         7464            0         1084
Swap:       524280         1068       523212
Total:       586668        55992       530676

..yes, that's 512MB of swap :-) Swapping over wireless isn't too bad, faster than wearing out my SD card, that's for sure. Big compiles are no longer a problem!

The otter big thing I've been doing is running a COMPLETE remote root disk over NFS! Doing this allows me to have a 3GB remote root:
deb # df -H /
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mmcda1 3.2G 1.3G 1.8G 42% /
..and allows me to easily have different images for development or testing out sw installs without messing up the 1GB SD card in my Z until I am sure I want to commit changes. A quick rsync allows for easy cloning of my SD card onto my remote root.

Using these methods you can run the complete Debian setup over wireless without even having an SD card at all. This opens EVERYBODY up to Z development and the vastnumber (~15819) of ARM Debian packages avail up to everybody with minimal effort and no local diskspace requirements.

As a matter of fact, I compiled the latest version of GAIM along with the encryption plugin (gaim-encryption) AND the Sametime (meanwhile) plugin, for those of use who have to use that IBM/Lotus beast.

See here:
http://undertow.2y.net/zaurus/bin/gaim-enc...ime-ARM.tar.bz2

Note this requires X to run.

Anyway, I'll try to get together details on this in the next couple of days, and it'll be on http://undertow.2y.net/zaurus/

Cheers!
smuelas
I am unable to upload screen shots. On next tuesday I will open a web-page with those screen shots and all the steps necessary for installing Debian on Xqt and the needed packages.
Anyone interested should be able to install Xqt and go to Pocketworkstation web page.
Everything continues to run nicely and I am convince many people will like to use it.
Next message on Tuesday. Cheers

smuelas
smuelas
Please find a first "sketch" of the web page promised at address:

http://w3.mecanica.upm.es/~smuelas/debianxqt.html

smuelas
ShiroiKuma
Hi:

I have followed your guide, taken all the steps.

However, when I try to start icewm, I get the following error:
CODE
IceWM: Warning: Locale not supported by C library. Falling back to 'C' locale'.
IceWM: using /home/root/.icewm for private configuration files
IceWM: Can't open display: :0.0. X must be running and $DISPLAY st.

What is the problem?

What can I do?
ShiroiKuma
I figured that out. Turns out I need to enter
CODE
export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
manually every time before running IceWM.

Now it turns.

However I'm not sure what I should enter into /etc/resolv.conf file and what the syntax is. Can anyone tell me specifically.

Thank you.
smuelas
Hi rehorrericha,

I will input more information a.s.a.p. in the web page. Anyway, I will tell you what I do now.
First of all I create a file, once in Debian, in directory /root with the name .bashrc. If the file exist already, I edit it and include the lines below:

export DISPLAY=0:0
xmodmap .xmodmaorc &

I stablish a link between /root and /home/root doing:

ln -s /root /home/root

I copy a file with the name: .xmodmaprc to /root.
This file contains the new codes of the keys to have everything available using the SL.6000's keyboard. I will explain in the web page how is the mapping modified. Also I will include this file in the web page.

Finally, I create a file with a short name, you can choose anyone like ini, begin...etc. and I put it in /usr/bin/
In this file I write a couple of lines for begining the Xssesion:

cd /home/root
/usr/bin/icewm &
nautilus (As I have included Nautilus but it is just a personal choice)

I made this file executable: chmod +x ......

When I launch Xstart and in the console that appears, once having done chroot (or included it in a script) symply I write the name of this last file and everything begins.
Then I launch the bash shell, as I use quite a lot of alias and other things and to have the keyboard working in the right way: "bash"

About your question related with /etc/resolv.conf you must write a line like this one:

nameserver 188.23.12.223

but instead of theese numbers, the IP direction of your DNS.
If you have more than one DNS you can write as many lines as the one above, each with the IP direction of a new DNS.

As you don't lose Qtopia, you can launch the Wi-fi in the usual way, but the old file in Qtopia /etc/resolv.conf is now unreachable, so you have to create a new one in the new root.

From time to time take a look at the space available in your card with "df". Debian is big and also some of its pacackages.

smuelas
bluedevils
I assume you meant minimum 512mb card is the minimum. Do *you* run it on SD or CF? If it is able to run with OZ, will it take advantage of the floating point performance enhancement?
melonhead
smuelas, good work on all these instructions. I've been able to get Debian working with mozilla, gaim, kismet, etc. I'll be trying your keyboard map tonight.

Something I've found is you'll also want to create a /etc/hosts file with at least the localhost entry or you won't be able to resolve the hostname of localhost.

I don't know how far along you are, but are there any optimizations/recommendations for speed improvements? Everything I want to use is working but I'm greatly spoiled with my fast desktop and the zaurus seems slow. And any ideas how to get XMMS usable (very very choppy).

I have created a swap file, but that doesn't seem to help with my already slow SD card.
Stubear
Hmm, interesting attack at debian on X/Qt.

I went a slightly different way and actually use the chroot calling script that the install process creates, but editing the zvncserver file in {debroot}/usr/local/bin so that it doesn't call Xvnc and only start icewm and one rxvt - all exporting of DISPLAY etc are set by the vncserver script that debian installs.

If I want to run a X app that is not in the debian package, I open qconsole from qtopia, export DISPLAY and run the app - it then appears in X/Qt and all error messages are written to QConsole - great for debugging missing libs etc.

I'll have to try your way and see if there is any speed difference (although we are basically doing the same thing just getting there by different paths)

Stu
ShiroiKuma
Thanks Smuelas, for your help.

It runs now. One more question I have is I get a ton of these perl errors:
CODE
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
           LANGUAGE = (unset),
           LC_ALL  = (unset),
           LANG = "ja_JP.eucJP"
     are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").

How can I remedy this?
smuelas
QUOTE(rehorrericha @ Nov 5 2004, 10:00 AM)

CODE
           LANGUAGE = (unset),
           LC_ALL  = (unset),
           LANG = "ja_JP.eucJP"

How can I remedy this?

o.k., rehorrericha,
Now you are done with Debian, but remember that this is not the "stable debian" and that the packages from "testing" or unstable, change quite a lot in short time.
So, you can have some small problems that can be solved usually with no big difficulty and others that cannot be solved at all, at the moment but will be solved in a short time.
Your problem with those Perl messages comes from not having stablished the local environment. The way to solve it is to install the package "locales", so typing:
apt-get install locales
should be enough. During the install you will be asked to choose the "locales" to install -choose only one- and which one should be your default. Once done, this problem should finish.
Also, I recommend you to upgrade the whole distribution -about a couple of hours.
This is done simply with: apt-get upgrade.
Good luck ....

smuelas
smuelas
Thanks melonhead for your comments but, really, I haven't done anything for myself. I simply got Xqt and Pocketworkstation and make them work together. To arrange the keyboard is my only contribution and I did it just reading " man xmodmap" once installed Debian.
My answer is due to your comment on XMMS. It runs wonderfully so you must have done, or not done, something...
Remember that the 6000. uses mad for sound. So, you must install a couple of packages: first "xmms" and then "xmms-mad". If doing it is not enough, apt-get upgrade.
The "story" about speed is another one. Taking into account that the 6000 is not exactly a "thunder", I find the speed "reasonable". The big difference that I have found is the time it takes to launch the application: one whole minute for firefox. But once you have it on the screen, it works quite well. I use always swap, as otherwise I have found some troubles, specially instal
ShiroiKuma
Thank you for the advice/ smuelas. I'll try right away.

The last question I have/ is regarding suspend/resume freeze-up.

I didn't want to format my CF as ext2, so I created a 500 MB mountable file, formatted as ext2, as outlined in this thread.

This works great, with one big problem: when you suspend the zaurus and then resume, the CF locks up.

Is there any way to solve this, without unmounting the file before every suspend.

If not, does formatting the CF as ext2 work, i.e. does it not lock up that way if you suspend and resume without exiting XQt.

Would a mountable file on SD work? Or would only formatting the SD work. Or would even this not work and you have to exit XQt before suspend every time? (Obviously you wouldn't need to unmout the whole SD, or so I hope.

What are the options?

Thank you.
iamasmith
QUOTE(rehorrericha @ Nov 5 2004, 10:00 AM)

CODE
           LANGUAGE = (unset),
           LC_ALL  = (unset),
           LANG = "ja_JP.eucJP"

How can I remedy this?

If you just want to get rid of the messages try exporting the following variable...

PERL_BADLANG = 0

Hope this helps,

- Andy
smuelas
rehorrericha,
I have only tested CF formated as ext2 and using the standard Sharp ROM. I cannot help with the other issues.
I do suspend/resume with Debian as with Qtopia and have found no difference. Just one click to suspend and another to resume and my Debian screen is there....
smuelas
ShiroiKuma
Hmmm, I formatted my CF to ext2. Now I can suspend/resume without freezing, however it kills the IceWM and drops before the chroot command. I.e. I'm still in su, but have to do chroot... and start icewm again.

Why is this?
smuelas
I have no idea. Xqt is just a program running and it should not be killed due to suspend/resume.
If your problem is just with Icewm, perhaps you should launch it from a rxvt and "minimize" this rxvt. You can open another and work on it. Also, try to launch Ice from the "sh" shell, before going to "bash". This is what I usually do and I have no problems. Also it is true that I haven't tested it doing a lot of suspend/resume. ...
smuelas
MSC_Geek
Smuelas,
Thanks for all the info, it has emboldened (is that a real word?) me to play around a bit. I have almost gotten it working, but I am still having a problem. My config is a little different, I am running the stock Sharp Kernel that shipped with my 6000.

I have a 128M CF card which holds a 64M swapfile. Instead of putting debroot on a CF or SD card I have a 40G USB drive that I formatted ext2 and mount from the VGA terminal.

I can chroot to it with no troubles, and I can start icewm, but when I click on the icewm logo button (where the start button would be if this were windows) I don't get a menu, the screen just goes all grey, and then back to the xwindow background with the icewm terminal. Is this supposed to work?

I haven't tried any apps yet, so if there is something I should run from a console to test, let me know. Thanks.
smuelas
MSC Geek,
I don't think that it can be problems in using a USB disk, althought I don't know which is the "usb conecction on the VGA terminal"...
How do you launch icewm? Do you add an ampersand after? Do you set the display?
It could be good if you write exactly the instructions given after "chroot".
Also, you can try some application existing in the pocketworkstation dist. as, for example, xedit or vi... and tell us the result.
Anyway, it seems that you haven't fight a lot yet ...;-}
smuelas
gab74
Only a starnge problem,
when i startx from icon and appears bash shell....
my keywoard doesen' t work ( the space bar doesen't work so i cannot make
chroot ......)

Why this ???
gab74
When i start icewm no desktop appears but there is only rxvt terminal ...

Why there isn't no desktop icons ??? I see in the screenshots there is icewm desktop but on my sl6000l i can only see rxvt terminal

I FOLLOW THE INFOS ON SMULEAS SITE and on thi topic too why this ??

Thanks FOR YOUR HELP

Gabriele
MSC_Geek
Smuelas,
You were correct, it was not related to my USB disk. As for what I meant by the VGA terminal, I use the terminal app that came with the Z to mount everything. Probably a moot point, but at the time wasn't sure.

I launch icewm without the ampersand, mainly because I can't get the xmodmaprc file to load properly. It keeps telling me line 1 out of range or some such, goes all the way through line 7 and then aborts. I am still working on what is up with that.

I was able to apt-get -u upgrade and could even install mozilla-thunderbird.

I think my problem is the menu fonts in icewm are too large. When I start Tbird I can see the title bar for the window and then 3-5 characters fit on the screen. These suckers are at least an inch tall, possibly 1.5". If that is what is happening in my icewm menu it would explain my earlier issue. I don't have much exp with icewm, so I am not sure how to change fontsize or what config file to edit. Which fonts are you using?

Thanks for starting this thread, I knew I wanted to do a distro on my Z, but there wasn't enough out there for me to figure out how to start.
gab74
Why when i try to install locales i receive :

UNKNOWN TERMINAL: KTERM

Check the term enviroment....
and many other errors....

Any helps ?
melonhead
QUOTE(gab74 @ Nov 11 2004, 08:00 PM)
Why when i try to install locales i receive :

UNKNOWN TERMINAL: KTERM

Check the term enviroment....
and many other errors....

Any helps ?

try

CODE
apt-get install kterm

biggrin.gif
stbrock
I've gotten this message and avoided it by pointing the TERM variable to xterm instead with:

CODE
export TERM=xterm

If this works for you, you'll probably want to put that line n one of your startup script files rather than typing it in each session. If you're getting other errors too, this might not be enough to fix things.
smuelas
I am answering the last messages. I apologize if I haven't explained with the needed detail the steps that I have done for the Xqt-Debian installation process.
Many of theese steps can be done in different ways. For example, I am using Linux as my only O.S. for, at least five or six years ago and usually to begin a session I'm used to have a " .bashrc " file in my home directory where I stablish some personal prefernces, like alias and also some special "general paths" as Java's paths and also library paths.
Althought practically all the actual Linux distributions use KDE or Gnome or both as their default desktop, I have always installed "Icewm" as a variant for certain kind of work. So, I know quite well Icewm, not in depth, just the few details or tricks that make my life easy.
Now let's go to certain details:
The first is to tell you that each day I am more and more surprised of how well works this "mixture". I have never thought of having such an impressive tool in my hands as it seems to be now the SL-6000. And this is due, basically, to the very good job done by the creators of Xqt and to the incredible wealth of software provided by Debian. I have had only ONE serious problem with a pac
smuelas
Everything else is working stupendously.
So, please, believe me: IT WORKS !
Just take your time, ask your questions and be patient but confident. :-)
My steps (as of today; I have changed small details from one day to another)
Once in Qtopia and having installed the needed packages from Xqt as I have written on the web-page, I click on the "startx" Icon.
This launches the X's and in a few seconds the Rxvt terminal with no window manager. Then I write in this terminal:

su
/bin/mount -t proc /proc /mnt/cf/debroot/proc
/sbin/chroot /mnt/cf/debroot
/sbin/swapon /myswap
/etc/init.d/ssh start
ln -s /root /home/root
cd /home/root
/usr/bin/icewm &
bash
icewmbg
"Fn+c"
exit

Those are the lines that I write, waiting for each "effect". Then I minimize this Rxvt-term and I forget it "forever and ever", or until doing a reboot.
(I will put a.s.a.p. in the web page a short explanation about the WHY of some of those lines.)

If this is the first time of launching icewm after installation, some things must be "organized" or "inproved". The first thing to do is to install the package for having available Rxvt, that is the simple terminal that works the best with this system. By default, there are other X-terminal that can serve to do this first installation. So launch this first terminal. As you know, you can make visible or not the bottom panel of Qtopia with the menu button. Make it visible and edit with "vi" or "xedit" (in the default installation) a file with the name "resolv.conf" that must be placed in the directory /etc. In this file it is enough to have one line that should be:

nameserver 111.111.111.111

where the 1's should be number of the IP of your DNS. Once done, and having copied to /root directory the file .xmodmaprc from the web-page (I will update it in a few days) write in the terminal:

xmodmap .xmodmaprc
apt-get update

Once finished, write:

apt-get install rxvt

Finished the installation, close the X-terminal, open a new Rxvt, and be prepared to install your packages.
By default, the X-installation from Xqt doesn't use the whole bash, so you must prepare a .bashrc file acording with what I said before, and place it in /root directory. Then, when you open a new rxvt. begin it by writing

bash

to make your .bashrc file active.
From this point, it is important for you to have some clear ideas of how Debian works and the impressive amount of software that you have available and how to install, search, upgrade, deinstall a.s.o your packages.

Someone asked the other day some question about suspend/resume. Now, I have observed that everything works o.k. with this action BUT with one exception: If you have "bash" in a terminal and suspend, the bash is distroyed and the terminal is no more usable. So, exit and close your terminals before doing suspend and DO NOT MAINTAIN applications launched trough a terminal that has been launched with bash.

This message is much too long so I finish now. Please, ask any other thing that is not clear enough or in case you continue to have troubles, but be sure that you will be more than happy in a short future.

Best regards

smuelas
pelrun
MSC_Geek, I'm having the same issue as you are with the icewm fonts. I don't have a decent answer yet, but I have a fast workaround. Simply put the below lines into your ~/.icewm/preferences:

TitleFontName = "fixed"
MenuFontName = "fixed"
MinimizedWindowFontName = "fixed"
ActiveButtonFontName = "fixed"
NormalButtonFontName = "fixed"
QuickSwitchFontName = "fixed"
ListBoxFontName = "fixed"
StatusFontName = "fixed"
ToolTipFontName = "fixed"
ActiveTaskBarFontName = "fixed"
NormalTaskBarFontName = "fixed"
ClockFontName = "fixed"
ApmFontName = "fixed"
LabelFontName = "fixed"

Icewm will complain about not finding any of these, but when it loads up you'll get saner fonts. I dunno - maybe it's a freetype configuration problem?
gab74
Smuleas I FOLLOW :

For installing swap, first of all you must create a file that can work as swap. This can be done, in the root directory for example, typing
dd if=/dev/zero of=swapfile bs=1024 count=65536
For a swap file of 64Kb. that is enough. (You can also create half this size.) Then for activating the swap you must type:
swapon /swapfile

WHEN I TYPE swapon /swapfile i receive : INVALID ARGUMENT ....

WHY ?

2. Sorry for my ignorance but What type of LOCALES has to be installed ?

There are many types but i don't know what is the one i have to install
and i cannot press the OK during installation....
What is the TAB on the keyboard ?

Thanks !
pelrun
You've missed a step - the swap file is created but it isn't formatted yet. Do a

mkswap /swapfile

before running swapon; you only have to do this once.
smuelas
Really a forgot a lot of things: thanks pelrun.
smuelas
gab74
Smuelas,
Sorry for my ignorance but What type of LOCALES has to be installed ?

I also received these errors :

CANNOT SET LC_CTYPE
CANNOT SET LC_MESSAGES
CANNOT SET LC_ALL

Why ? Any helps.....
smuelas
Gabriele, when installing locales, Debian will ask you wihch one do you want, so choose spanish, french, english or german....as you prefer. If you try to encode the UTF-8 type of the ones choosed, be aware to have already swap. Otherwise your 6000 will give up.
smuelas
suid
Sorry if you all already realise this but I thought it was worth pointing out.

It is possible to mount proc and swap within the Qtopia environment, which saves you from having to type it all in once you've started debian.

I made sure to create my swapfile within debroot. Not sure how the chroot environment will manage an area of swap it can no longer see.

The mount/unmount process can be automated by editing /etc/sdcontrol. I followed the Stubear XQt/Debian route of running the post-install script, then modifying the VNC startup files to not use VNC, but I should think the same applies if you follow the smuelas method.

My sdcontrol file now looks as follows (you might want to replace the zdebian start/stop commands with a simple mount/umount of proc) :-

#!/bin/sh
#
# sdcontrol 1.0 2001/8/8 21:33:19 (Hideki Hayami)
#
# Initialize or shutdown a SD card device
#
# The first argument should be either 'insert' of 'eject'.
#

ACTION=$1
DEVICE=/dev/mmcda1
MOUNT_POINT=/mnt/card
SMB_MOUNT=/home/samba/SD_Card
INSTALL_DIR=Documents/Install_Files
#FSTYPE="-t vfat"
FATOPTS="-o noatime,quiet,umask=000,iocharset=utf8"
EXT2OPTS="-o noatime"

###### for QPE ######
get_pid()
{
echo $1
}

wait_release()
{
count=1
while true
do
umount $MOUNT_POINT
if [ $? = 0 ]; then
#echo umount >> /tmp/sd
return
fi
echo count=$count >> /tmp/sd
if [ `expr $count \>= 500` = 1 ]; then
#echo time out >> /tmp/sd
return
fi
count=`expr $count + 1`
usleep 200000
done
}

kill_task()
{
ps_line=`ps ax | grep -w 'qpe$'`
qpe_pid=`get_pid $ps_line`
#echo qpe_pid = $qpe_pid >> /tmp/sd
target_pids=`fuser -m $DEVICE | cut -d : -f2`
#echo $target_pids >> /tmp/sd
if [ "$target_pids" = "" ]; then
return
fi
is_exist_qpe=`echo $target_pids | fgrep -w $qpe_pid`
if [ "$is_exist_qpe" = "" ]; then
kill -9 $target_pids
#echo kill -9 $target_pids >> /tmp/sd
else
#echo "found qpe!!!" >> /tmp/sd
target_pids=`echo $target_pids | sed -e "s/$qpe_pid//"`
if [ "$target_pids" != "" ]; then
kill -9 $target_pids
#echo kill -9 $target_pids >> /tmp/sd
fi
wait_release
exit 0
fi
}
###### for QPE ######

case "$ACTION" in
'insert')
mount $FSTYPE $FATOPTS $DEVICE $MOUNT_POINT
MOUNT_RES=`mount | grep $DEVICE`
if [ "$MOUNT_RES" = "" ]; then
mount $FSTYPE $EXT2OPTS $DEVICE $MOUNT_POINT
swapon /mnt/card/debroot/swapfile
/etc/rc.d/init.d/zdebian start
fi
chkmntsh ${MOUNT_POINT}
if [ -d $SMB_MOUNT ] ; then
rm -rf $SMB_MOUNT
fi
ln -s $MOUNT_POINT $SMB_MOUNT
mkdir -p $MOUNT_POINT/$INSTALL_DIR
#echo mount $? >> /tmp/sd
;;
'eject')
if mount|grep "debroot/proc" >/dev/null
then
swapoff /mnt/card/debroot/swapfile
/etc/rc.d/init.d/zdebian stop
fi
fuser -s -m $DEVICE
if [ $? = 1 ]; then
umount $MOUNT_POINT
rm $SMB_MOUNT
else
exit 1
fi
;;
'compeject')
is_mount=`mount | fgrep $DEVICE`
if [ "$is_mount" = "" ]; then
exit 0
fi
kill_task # for QPE
#fuser -k -m $DEVICE > /dev/null
umount $MOUNT_POINT
if [ $? != 0 ]; then
usleep 500000
umount $MOUNT_POINT
#echo umount $? >> /tmp/sd
#else
# echo umount >> /tmp/sd
fi
rm $SMB_MOUNT
;;
'change')
$0 compeject
$0 insert
;;
'*')
exit 1
;;
esac

exit 0

-----------------------------------

I'm sure that this could be improved upon, but it works for me. If you're starting up services like sshd as well, you'll need to stop them before trying to eject the card. A quick "sdcontrol compeject" should remove any stubborn processes.

Ian
gab74
Some impressions :

I've installed Debian ( base package not full) on my 512 MB CF (Lexar 12x)

Then i :
UPGRADE ICEWM
INSTALL NAUTILUS
INSTALL MOZILLA-THUNDERBIRD
INSTALL MOZILLA-FIREFOX

All is fantastic, and full functional but TOO TOO SLOW !!! to be used as a standard work ambient.

I've made 64MB swap too.

When Firefox has started and i press a menu bar, the response is slow ( 1 / 2 seconds before something heppens )...

I Do not know if Debian will be quick on SL6000....and i do not know if ZAURUS CPU fits Mozilla's hardware request.....or NAUTILUS and so on...

May be having only Debian whitout qtopia running, improves performances ... i do not know.. is it possible?

Smuleas, you say apps runs well so what are your answers' times for an application like Firefox or Nautilus...
am i missing something for improving apps response ?

Thanks...
smuelas
Hi Gab,
I have answered you a long message but "zusergroups" has not wanted to upload. So now, I'll be short.
Don't use nautilus. Nor Thunderbird but Sylpheed. Firefox is a wonder but it takes a whole minute to launch on mine. After it goes very well.
After a couple of months, try to own a microdrive. Prices are coming down very quickly. Flash memories are not good for swap.
smuelas
gab74
Thanks Smuleas,
I'd be grateful if you sent me the long message on my Private Zaurus Message Box.. you can try again putting the message on a txt file and then try to upload.
or paste the message in the box.
i'm very interested in your experiences using Debian on Zaurus.

Thanks again..

PS :

I WANT TO BUY A :

2.2GB IBM/MagicStor MicroDrive IS it a good CHOICE ?
cdollar393
QUOTE(gab74 @ Nov 11 2004, 09:40 AM)
When i start icewm  no desktop appears but there is only rxvt terminal ...

Why there isn't no desktop icons ??? I see in the screenshots there is icewm desktop but on my sl6000l i can only see rxvt terminal

Thanks FOR YOUR HELP

Gabriele

I am having the same proble. I can get the x session to start and the terminal to open, but when I start icewm I get the rxvt terminal with the scrollbars but no menues or background or anything.

I think I must be missing something, but I'm not sure what. I've done an apt-get install icewm which has not fixed it. Anyone have any ideas?
gab74
QUOTE(cdollar393 @ Nov 13 2004, 05:53 PM)
QUOTE(gab74 @ Nov 11 2004, 09:40 AM)
When i start icewm  no desktop appears but there is only rxvt terminal ...

Thanks FOR YOUR HELP

Gabriele

I am having the same proble. I can get the x session to start and the terminal to open, but when I start icewm I get the rxvt terminal with the scrollbars but no menues or background or anything.

I think I must be missing something, but I'm not sure what. I've done an apt-get install icewm which has not fixed it. Anyone have any ideas?

As MSC_Geek told me :

>I found that to see the menu bar and such, you have to press the dropdown key >(the button between the home and email button on the keyboard cover thingie) >and then select fullscreen. Then you can see the icewm bar at the bottom of >your screen.
hannibal
Hi all, I'm new to the Zaurus community, having bought a SL-6000 off Amazon for cheap a while back. I'm following this route and have it going pretty good so far. I have a 512 MB SD card with pocketworkstation on it, and am right now updating Debian on it (took all night to update everything... it's still going but almost done).

I've seen the icewm problem withe the fonts as well but I haven't thought about fixing it as I don't know if I'll be using it.

Right now the only real problems I have are that if I start X using startx, it switches resolutions to the old smaller res whereas just using the other Xqt shortcut (that just starts X) doesn't. So I do the latter and then run xterm in a (non-X) konsole. Also sometimes the mouse input screws up, like right now for some reason the mouse is stuck on some other button than left-click as all I get when I click on an xterm is some menu called "Main Options" that I have never seen before. (I think it's something xqt specific)

Looking forward to doing all sorts of things with it later (the remote root and swap over NFS sound nice) but right now I don't have the facilities (I'm on a business trip with just my laptop and the Z and only dial-up internet access). I've been using Debian on my other computers for years now and it is nice to have something handheld that runs it as well smile.gif
hwkeye
Hi all,

I am trying to install Mozilla, Nautilus, but font is bigger in menu and I dont know how to make them smaller.
Same thing when I upgrade Debian, my IceWm taskbar becomes big.

anyone find an issue for this ?
MSC_Geek
hwkeye,
If you upgraded debian after the 17th of November, icewm seems to have been changed significantly. If you go to /etc/X11/icewm (after chrooting) you will find a file named preferences. Copy that file to your /home/root/.icewm/ directory and then you need to edit it. Towards the end of the file you will find a bunch of entries like TitleFontNameXft="sans-serif:size=12" If you change those so that size =1, the fonts become almost usable. I am going to try size=.5 tomorrow, and I will let you know if that gets it closer to the original sizes. This only works for icewm stuff. I am still working on where to change mozilla and things like that.

Nothing like blazing a new trail.
gab74
Can anyone send me his impressions about Debain on SL6000

is it usable or is it too slow ? How it works on a microdrive ?

What are the bes apps to install with best performance?
i.e : WebBrowser, Mail Client, Word processor.....
MSC_Geek
Ok,
First off, I tried size=.5 (that's POINT 5) in the icewm preferences file and now that looks great.

Next, I found where to modify mozilla's font sizes. goto ~/.mozilla/firefox/<hashcode>.default/chrome
and create a file called userChrome.css (or copy userChrome-example.css to userChrome.css) and then enter the following:

* {
font-size: .5pt !important;
font-family: sans-serif !important;
font-weight: normal !important;
}

That will make all your fonts look the same in mozilla, and make them something that fits on the screen. If you want you can use different fonts for different items, but I'll leave that up to you. (more info is easily available by doing a google search on userChrome.css).

If you use thunderbird just copy the file you made above to ~/.mozilla-thunderbird/<hashcode>.default/chrome/

It would probably be more elegant to link to the first file, so you only have to change on, but I did it this way. Hope it helps.
hwkeye
Hi MSC Geek,

Thanks a lot with your help.

I do vi /home/root/.icewm/preferences
uncomment and change all lines with ....FontNameXft = "........:size=10:..." to size 1 and it works.

By the same way, after changing all size to 1, I do

:1,$s/:size=1/:size=.5/g

It means search from line 1 to end string ":size=1" and replace by ":size=.5"
Maybe can replace directly but you can find some FontName with size=10 or size=12....

Thanks a lot MSC Geek.

I think for Mozilla and others programs maybe we could try where fontname for Xft are declared.

cheers.
smuelas
Hi guys,
Just a few words to explain my last experiences with Debian and Xqt. Tbis last week I've tring all other possible combinations using the same "chroot" philosophy. I have tried Gentoo and GPE. Also, I have tried new applications from Debian.
After all this work I have to say that the only combination that works with no one problem is this one.
In fact, I don't know what is inside Xqt, as the explanations are none. But it works.
I also think that this combination is for those that search an small and (relatively) cheap handcomputer. A kind of OQO, a little bit slower but with two great advantages: one can have four SL6000 for the price of one OQO and our wonder Zaurus DOESN't RUN THE WINDOW$ from Gates. Too big advantages to forget.
Actually I am running in the 6000 such programs as Emacs, Scite, Latex, Maxima, TeXmacs (yes, TeXmacs), XMMS(just perfect), gimp, evolution...just to mention a few. I use IceWM or fluxbox, depending on the mood. I use SSH to conect to my School Server and usb in old is flavours. What can I ask after that?
If Sharp launched the same model with the last Xscale chip and 128 of ram, that would be the perfect hand-computer for the time being.
Cheers
smuelas
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.