Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Desktop screenshot thread!
OESF Forums > General Forums > General Support and Discussion > Themes, Icons, and Backgrounds
Pages: 1, 2
informer
Do show us your ZAURUS desktop screenshots!

Would be useful for people interested in buying a Zaurus.

I know you can put fancy wallpaper and stuff, but I think seeing applications in action would be useful. The Kompany screenshots were cool (http://www.thekompany.com/embedded/rom/screenshots.php3) , any others?
Teletubbie
Hi,
this is 3.3.6-pre1/hentges/opie1.1.4/OE Kernel running on a SL-5500.
Since this is an outdated rom I assume the new OZ 3.5.1 looks nicer smile.gif

The Applications:

The PIM:

The Settings:

Irc:

And Wordprocessing:

Have fun,
Sam
dz
My apps:

My multimedia:

My networking:

My gaming:

FreeNoteQT in action:

My 860 is used mainly for music, note taking, and server administration. I've also written a few papers on it while in the library. I'm running Cacko 1.21b.
Xumbi
How about some video of quake running on my Z! wink.gif
informer
Actually I should say "screenshot of your Zaurus desktop" smile.gif
lareya
blink.gif that video is really COOL! I want to do that! ohmy.gif

Lareya
jerrybme
Here's my screen shots of my pdaxrom:

aterm:

Internet apps:

Quake:

Kopi:

I love pdaxrom (especially now that is has Kopi biggrin.gif )
Xumbi
Here's my current desktop:

jerrybme
Thanks to Zumi & Basticelaar great work on fvwm for pdaxrom, I just switched wm from matchbox to fvwm. Lastest screenshots ->
Frodo failed, George W has the ring:

Cool transparent menu:

Sunclock:
informer
People,

Thanks for contributing.

Teletubbie - very nice! In portrait form, you have to use the pen and not the keyboard. How do you chat with this method? Do you use the pen to write your messages on the screen like on a Palm? Do you find that you have to scroll a lot?

DZ - interesting, looks very functional. I think I'll probably end up with functional than a pretty screen. Do fancy icons and wallpapers slow down the Zaurus during daily activity?

Jerrybme - nice! Looks a lot like Windows hey! (not a bad thing). About the quake/doom games, I assume they won't play on a full screen? Is there such thing as a sidebar like in windows? I'm a bit confused in your second set of screenies (mainly the taskbar). Seems cluttered to me. Is that how tasks are represented?

BTW, can you set your desktop to an offline/online webpage like on Windows? If one could run a self running web server on their Zaurus and get it to view a funtional page, that would add functionality (something like a self made sidebar, or links to daily documents).

Anyway, keep them coming! They are useful!
Teletubbie
Hi Informer,
I always use the Keyboard for Chat (Well, not on my TabletPC). Note it is a 5500. Like the 5600 and the 6000 you have the slide down Keyboard. The lanscape view is not useful with the Keyboard on these models.

@ The other Guys:
Amazing screenshots. The transparent console is really bleeding edge for my understanding of a PDA. Real eye-candy.
Cheers,
Sam
informer
QUOTE(Teletubbie @ Nov 6 2004, 01:43 AM)
Hi Informer,
I always use the Keyboard for Chat (Well, not on my TabletPC). Note it is a 5500. Like the 5600 and the 6000 you have the slide down Keyboard. The lanscape view is not useful with the Keyboard on these models.

@ The other Guys:
Amazing screenshots. The transparent console is really bleeding edge for my understanding of a PDA. Real eye-candy.
Cheers,
Sam

Ah sorry my mistake! I keep forgeting about the other models!!!
dz
informer: I'm sure having a wallpaper might slow it down a little bit as it now has to render an image. I don't think it's much of a slowdown/battery hit though smile.gif

To the rest: amazing looking screenshots smile.gif You're making me want to switch back to pdaXrom.
Xumbi
informer: Quake does run in full screen in the latest pdaxrom release, you just need to do a little scripting (I could find the thread for you), and it runs at about 16fps.
rgrep
QUOTE(Xumbi @ Nov 6 2004, 05:26 AM)

Xumbi, I love your beach-scene wallpaper, where did you get it?
rgrep
Showing off my two favourite games tongue.gif (under pdaXrom 1.1.0 on a C760)

Xumbi
QUOTE(rgrep @ Nov 6 2004, 02:04 AM)
QUOTE(Xumbi @ Nov 6 2004, 05:26 AM)

Xumbi, I love your beach-scene wallpaper, where did you get it?

Actually it's a picture that I took when I went to Aruba this year biggrin.gif
Jenn

my C860 - pdaXrom desktop smile.gif

--Jenn
Xumbi
Very cool. What window manager is that? How about the file manager?
dz
QUOTE(Xumbi @ Nov 7 2004, 10:49 PM)
Very cool.  What window manager is that?  How about the file manager?

I'm assuming she's using Fluxbox with icons?

Either way, I don't know whether to think it's cool looking or to feel dirty that it looks so much like a mac and so little like *nix :-X Regardless, nice job smile.gif
Jenn
Very cool.  What window manager is that?  How about the file manager?

The desktop manager and the file manager is ROX.
The window manager is XFCE

The icons on the bottom center of the desktop are manually arranged to emulate the feeling of OS X

ROX lets you to define a custom icon to a particular file or directory or to a mime type, what is cool biggrin.gif

XFCE gives you the option to change which window buttons are displayed and their position biggrin.gif

The icons are taken from GnoMetal, an iconset for gnome2 i found at themes.freshmeat smile.gif

The xmms skin is xTunes, also found at freshmeat, i guess tongue.gif

Either way, I don't know whether to think it's cool looking or to feel dirty that it looks so much like a mac and so little like *nix :-X

OSX is *nix smile.gif don't you like osx? sad.gif

Regardless, nice job smile.gif

thanks wink.gif

--Jenn
Xumbi
XFCE? Did you compile it yourself? I haven't come across it in any of the pdaxrom feeds.
Jenn
QUOTE(Xumbi @ Nov 8 2004, 10:54 PM)
XFCE? Did you compile it yourself? I haven't come across it in any of the pdaxrom feeds.

it was in the unstable feed at pdaxrom.org, but i can't find it there, now sad.gif

am running pdaxrom RC3, btw

i don't know if something has changed in the feeds since then unsure.gif

--Jenn
Xumbi
Not to worry, it's in the old unstable feed! I installed it, and I'm currently checking it out.
bastichelaar
My Screenshot:

- Fluxbox
- vdesk
- Torsmo
- Some icons from d3a iconset
- sn33z theme, background and fonts
ev1l
Just when I thought there wasn't really anything I could improve about my Z, you guys come and ruin it all up dry.gif
bastichelaar and Jenn, your setups look wonderful.
bastichelaar are you Dutch?
bastichelaar
Yes I am, you too?
ev1l
QUOTE(bastichelaar @ Nov 9 2004, 07:55 AM)
Yes I am, you too?

Half-blood smile.gif I've been living in the NL for a few years now.
You can MSN me if you'd like. Or I'll just give you a call tomorow biggrin.gif
Nothing quite like harassing people in the comfort of their own home.

EDIT: can someone be kind enough as to send me his termcap? The one that comes with pdaXrom is missing a lot of bindings sad.gif
bluedevils
Can I make a suggestion that the screenshots posted here be archived onto a screenshot section of zug? I would hate to see these good references go away if they are externally hosted.
dz
bluedevils:

already part of the plan. we will have to reupload all of them, but that is already planned. we just need to do things in order tho, and redoing the zsi comes first smile.gif
offroadgeek
QUOTE(bluedevils @ Nov 10 2004, 09:31 AM)
Can I make a suggestion that the screenshots posted here be archived onto a screenshot section of zug? I would hate to see these good references go away if they are externally hosted.

I've saved all of the images locally to the zug server and edited each post to point to the local image... great suggestion, I'd hate to loose any of these great pics!
ev1l
I think a fluxbox howto is in order.
It's not really hard, it's just a pain to have to do the conf yourself.
After installing pdaXrom, and noticing the thing is absolutely unusable (oudated toolchain, unmapped keys, the works), I must say I expected a bit more.
I'm reflashing the Z with cacko to extract the termcaps, etc to try and get it more comfy. It's irritating to have to do everything from remote, just because the damn thing hasn't mapped ALT and CTRL. (Joe without CTRL is... particular).
I litterally had to setup a native+cross compiling env just to get the tools I needed. Weee.
At the same time, it's showing a LOT of promise, since the basic functionnality is there, and from now on it's just a matter of tuning. Let's hope RC6 makes that easier.
Laze
The new pdaXrom will have a screenshot section and a user submitted screenshot section.
bastichelaar
The fluxbox ipk should work right away, just install and install the libraries tiff, ungif and imlib. Then for the keys you can edit /etc/kb/corgi.xmodmap. ant /home/root/.fluxbox/keys. Then everything should work!
jerrybme
My latest fvwm tweaks. I'm hoping Zumi can find time to write some of the fvwm perl scripts in bash so wallpaper & multimedia files can be browsed from the menu. Click on the file name and bingo the file plays or the back ground is set tongue.gif

P.S. Offroadgeek - I tried to upload the jpgs to the ZUG, but it only lets you attach one file and one shot just doesn't do these cool window managers justice wink.gif
bastichelaar
For the menu's to work, check the config files @ my website. I had it working with those scripts...
Xumbi
I wanted to show pdaxrom in portrait mode:
xiaman
how do you caputure the screen shot .
i can do it from the bash screen .
and is it possible to save to sd card .
thanks
jerrybme
Further tweaks on my fvwm Matrix theme. Notice the inactive vs active titlebars and transparent taskbar. Tweaking fvwm is very addicting wink.gif

Cheers,
Jerry
SolarX
Is this version of Fluxbox supposed to work with RC5? Because I'm getting the following error: "fluxbox: relocation error: fluxbox: symbol __floatsisf, version GCC_3.0 not defined in file libgcc_s.so.1 with link time reference".

Quite a mouth full smile.gif

Anyway, it looks as if either it expects a different libgcc version, or it's compiled with a different float setting (which changed between RC5 and the previous version). Or is this just a matter of upgrading a package?

Any help is appreciated.
dz
I moved this into the appropriate section. We wanna try and do some cleaning of the forums so it's easier for people to search for help, so don't take this personally or anything. The post just fits better in this section smile.gif
alan
This is what i would like my zaurus to look like (... without kde of course, i know christmas is comming, but i'm not that a dreamer...)

availliable at www.lynucs.org
systemparadox
:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(
I have spent so much time trying to get OZ3.5.1/Opie working nicely on my 5500, now it feels so inadequate.
(actually i always get that- why does everyone elses setups _always_ look better than mine?)

Where does everyone get those cool icons/wallpapers/other graphics from?

It runs the gimp!!!?!?!?!!!
Can you run any linux program (with a recompile)?
I don't suppose pdaxrom works on the 5500, does it?
hellz_hunter
man looking at all these screenshots and possibilities with a zaurus, i cant wait till i get my c860!
i know im going to have such a field day seeing everything i can do with it
im really really really into the simpsons, im hoping to get a nice theme with the simpsons on it
slapout
Most of these post are from the Zaurii with larger screens. Anyone got any more cool 5x00 screenshots?
Mewish
Ugh, I also just got Opie to run well. I'm loading Xrom soon, Quake + themes = win.
EDIT: No 6000L support. [despair]
akira28
I couldn't resist after seeing that lovely Mac screen:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Courtesy of Tapwave Zodiac and iSpin
(Still use my SL5500) biggrin.gif
LavaDevil
QUOTE(akira28 @ Jan 28 2005, 03:32 AM)
I couldn't resist after seeing that lovely Mac screen:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Courtesy of Tapwave Zodiac and iSpin
(Still use my SL5500) biggrin.gif

Wow. How'd you get that setup?
Cresho

eji
These aren't nearly as nice as those pdaXrom shots, but just changing the icons on my 6000 made a world of difference. The backgrounds (my main and my alternate) appear here a bit brighter than they display on the Z.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.