OK, now it's my turn.
I saw matchbox on pdaXrom and I tought I can have better than that. I was playing with Fvwm since ...well, quite a long time now.
I decided to recreate the pdaXrom's graphical user interface (GUI) with Fvwm, because I tought it does the job better than Matchbox does.
I worked hard in the last week and I created something you might find nice.
What this GUI does have now:
- a taskbar at last - now you can switch between apps easily using the touchscreen
- it has a clock, a battery display, a CPU frequency display, and a mouse-button display
- you can adjust the backlight, the cpufrequency and the used mousekey with two clicks
- more eyecandy - Translucent menus and titlebars
- an onscreen keyboard with xkbd, configured more useful than in matchbox (well, I think it's better, but I don't use it very much, post your comments)
- I wrote a parser that converts the entire matchbox menu to fvwm menu
What it doesn't have _yet_:
- it doesn't have tool to set the screenoff, suspend timeout, use the one comes with the rom (first thing I will do when I will have time again)
- you don't have icons for applications in the root menu, because Fvwm can't resize the icons dinamically, and I haven't compiled ImageMagick yet, which can resize the images easily with a little script)
- screen doesn't switch off if you close it (I haven't studied the working mechanism yet)
- portrait mode doesn't work, no rotation (I think this can be nicely with fvwm in the future)
Fvwm config is a bit hard, but I added a lot of comment to the config file to help you in the altering of the default for your needs. You can find everything about the configuration here
and you can ask questions from me, ask them here
or on irc.freenode.net, the #fvwm channel.
It was kinda big task for me alone to make all this, and I don't think I'm the fisrt one who wrote something without fault. So: post your bugreports, ideas, or "oh, this is very nice indeed" comments here to retain my lust for working on this thing.
If you already have a /home/root/.fvwm/.fvwm2rc file and/or /home/root/.icons/ directory (for custom cursors), please backup, because the ipk overwrites them.
The pdaxrom-fvwm package is dependent on the fvwm package. I asked Bastichelaar, who compiled the 2.5.10 fvwm for the Zaurus
, to upload it again to the unstable feed, but he forgot the dependencies of the fvwm package. So grab the files from here
'till he uploads them.
Well, I'm eager to read your comments!