A new version of zbedic (0.9.2-3) is released and available for download at sourceforge:
* Added keyborad shorcuts for a list of dictionaries, history,
scrolling description, and selecting words from the wordlist
* Added option for changing size of the wordlist - gives more
space for description
* Added: zbedic switches to the right dictionary for items from
* Added: A word is added to the history when it's viewed for 3
* Documentation updated to relfect the changes
* Bug fix: A description sometimes didn't show up after entering
* Added: Layout mode (vertical or horizontal) for 7xx models
* Fix: The input box is not emptied after changing a dictionary
* Added: The list of dictionaries is sorted
* Fix: Can be now installed on CF/SD
I have also written down some ideas for future releases and put them in a TODO file in the CVS. There is no much chance to realize them soon, but they may be worth discussing. There is a copy of that file:
* Navigation: back, forward
This should be integrated with the word history, not to make too
much duplicate work. The problem is that the history of words is a
simple list and browser-like navigation could be more graph-like.
For example: go back a few words in history, enter a new
word. Then the new word should be added at the beginning of the
history or just after a word recently recalled from the history?
* Pattern search
For example: prefix*postfix, i*ary
* Better rules for lexical precedence
Accented characters should be properly handled and have proper
precedence (after non-accented counterparts).
** Special treatment of "compound letters"
I am not sure what is the proper name for things like ss, au, eu, ou
in German, but it would be nice if those were put near corresponding
accented characters, so one could enter words using both methods of
* Case-sensitive dictionaries
Some dictionaries, like German should be case-sensitive.
* Unlimited list of words
Instead of returning fixed number of words, the word list should show as
many words as fit in the window and it should be possible to browse it
backward/forward up to beginning and end of the dictionary. Of
course scrollbar is totally unnecessary in such case.
* Search for misspelled words
Search could return near matches for misspelled words.
* Pixmaps for dictionaries
A pixamaps for dictionaries shown in a list of dictionaries and in
history would be a nice GUI add-on.
* Customizable toolbar
It should be possible to enable / disable toolbar buttons in the
Settings. Possible new buttons: navigation back, forward.
* Reorganized settings dialog
There should be several panes, for example: Appearance,
Dictionaries, Toolbar, Advanced
* Additional tags for dictionary files
Meaning, sub-meaning, example, part-of-speech is often not enough to
describe entries. For example it is not clear how to enter
phrase/idiom or word category (e.g. math. biol., etc.)