Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Internal battery
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Model Specific Forums > C1000/3x00 General discussions
Zink
Does the C3000 come with an internal battery that prevents it from rebooting during battery changing?
I got my c3000 two days ago and I charged it for about 6 hours before using it.
It worked fine except that it would reboot every time when i change the battery.
I believe that it has an internal battery otherwise the reset button would be an unnecessary design.
I would like to know if you guys can change the battery without rebooting the device.
bastichelaar
The internal clock is only to remember the time... When you attach the power supply, and THEN change the battery, the device problay won't reboot...
matrix
Reset buttons are always welcome, a freeze is bad enough without having to take out the battery to force a reboot.
omega
Shiny! - The 3000 has a reset button?

I believe that if you change the battery within a few (<5 seconds) then it won't reboot.
devster
I dont see any reset buttons!

In fact, still trying to figure out how to power down, "shutdown now" hangs it without shutting down or powering down. Also tried a poweroff util, and it didnt run.

blink.gif
Zink
There is a illustration on p.216 of the manuel which points out the reset button
daniel3000
QUOTE(omega @ Nov 22 2004, 03:13 PM)
Shiny! - The 3000 has a reset button?

I believe that if you change the battery within a few (<5 seconds) then it won't reboot.

Not here.

Maybe a capacitor in parallel with the battery would allow for fast battery changing without reboot.

Anyone tried that?

daniel
jfs.w
so just to summarize, (and more or less answer the question), there is no internal battery in the 3000? meaning that if u take out the external battery while the unit is running, it will "die"?

another related question - so I assume the same thing will apply to the 3100 as well?
icruise
QUOTE(jfs.w @ Sep 26 2005, 11:24 PM)
so just to summarize, (and more or less answer the question), there is no internal battery in the 3000? meaning that if u take out the external battery while the unit is running, it will "die"?

another related question - so I assume the same thing will apply to the 3100 as well?

That is correct.
Jonathan
Hi all,

I asked the same question on this forum some six months ago and was dissapointed even then. The lack of internal battery is the *one* thing I would definitely change on my C3000.

I use three C3000 batteries and an external changer, so the "instant reset feature" when changing batteries has been a real pain. mad.gif

My solution has been to carry around a little emergency power supply for a mobile phone that has had the original moulded phone plug cut off and a zaurus power plug attached. This takes 4 of the smaller size penlight batteries (AAA in the UK, size 4 in Japan) so its not very heavy. I've used it for six months without changing the penlight batteries. Since it's only used for a few seconds each time I expect the little penlight batteries will last a long time. The battery phone changer was bought for 100yen from the local "100 Yen Shop" here in Japan (that's about $1US or 50UK pence.) Cheap DIY solution.

Attached are pictures for anyone interested.

Jonathan
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Scot
Nice work, Johnathan.
Where did you get the Zaurus plug end?

thanks,

scot
Jonathan
QUOTE(Scot @ Oct 6 2005, 06:12 AM)
Nice work, Johnathan.
Where did you get the Zaurus plug end?

thanks,

scot

Plug came off an old wall brick transformer. I looked in various electronics component catalogues but I couldn't find the plug anywhere. I did recently see a few of these plugs in a backstreet shop in a Hong Kong though, if you fancy a trip... wink.gif

Jonathan.
dougeeebear
Plugs and battery packs are available at Radio Shack.

The following worked for my 5500.
It might also work for the 3000 as well as others.

http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=8023&hl=#

Scroll down and read post #7 by V-Man.
swing
QUOTE(jfs.w @ Sep 27 2005, 05:24 AM)
And another question if I may - what happens if the main battery runs out - I have a 5500, which is well known that when the battery runs out, you lose everything stored in the machine, and have to reinstall everything - I remember when the 700/750/760 came out the few early reviews mentioned this problem had gone away, presumably with a small internal battery to keep the data safe. I assume the 3000/3100 still have this battery, or are we saying it's no longer there...?
Meanie
QUOTE(swing @ Oct 10 2005, 06:32 PM)
QUOTE(jfs.w @ Sep 27 2005, 05:24 AM)
And another question if I may - what happens if the main battery runs out - I have a 5500, which is well known that when the battery runs out, you lose everything stored in the machine, and have to reinstall everything - I remember when the 700/750/760 came out the few early reviews mentioned this problem had gone away, presumably with a small internal battery to keep the data safe. I assume the 3000/3100 still have this battery, or are we saying it's no longer there...?

the internal battery is not needed since stuff is stored in flash ram, ie nand which is non-volatile memory as opposed to volatile memory that required a current to keep the data.
swing
QUOTE(Meanie @ Oct 10 2005, 11:59 AM)
the internal battery is not needed since stuff is stored in flash ram, ie nand which is non-volatile memory as opposed to volatile memory that required a current to keep the data.
Ah, thanks - and this applies to all C series does it?
richie
Hi

QUOTE(swing @ Oct 10 2005, 08:32 AM)
And another question if I may - what happens if the main battery runs out - I have a 5500, which is well known that when the battery runs out, you lose everything stored in the machine, and have to reinstall everything

The 5500 has two batteries, the user replaceable main one, lithium and a built in Ni-Cad. The Ni-Cad is there to cover for the main battery running out or whilst switching batteries. It lasts for approx 24 hours. Though this Ni-Cad is nonuser replaceable and will only last 100 recharge cycles, so in time you might get less than 24 hours back up.

I'd personally prefer the C' series as it doesn't rely on non user replaceable batteries.

Richie
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.