Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Operational Issues
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Model Specific Forums > Cxx0 Hardware
mrpete2004
One use I want to make of my c860 is to use it as a low power download device eg running mldonkey & using an USB external hard disk as storage. If I leave the unit on for extended periods of time (eg 2 or 3 days at a time with a wireless card), are the c860s prone to overheating at all?, am I likely to knacker the unit?

Thanks in advance
allyrfriends
It should be fine. I've had my C750 on with the wireless card inserted and on, but not actually doing much, for a couple of days at a time with no problems. My 5500 has been on in a similar state for around a week or so continuously in the past and that's been unproblematic as well. The only possible heat problem as far as I can tell would be from the wireless card if it's active all the time, but I can't see it being at all destructive even then, particularly for a C860, with all that extra air in the battery cover to cool it down.

More pertinently, how would you attach a USB hard drive to a C860 while there's a wifi card in the CF slot? -- Unless you're planning on using one of those SD wifi cards, I guess.
vanstrien
I've left my 860 on for a week or more. There are no heat issues or similar, although sometimes I have problems where the screen won't turn on even though I can see everything fine on VNC.

I expect you won't have any problems, especially if you check on it from time to time.
mrpete2004
Yep I'm getting confused with the SL6000 which does have a mini-USB port:(. Looks like I'll have to look into a supported CF USB card and maybe a supported USB network adapter
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.