Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OpenZaurus, OZ on the 6000
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Model Specific Forums > 6000 - Tosa
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
nevarrie
I was able today to get a build made with openemebedded of GPE to flassh and run on an SL-6000L. I will try to get screen shots and picture on the internet. There is also a second 6k running GPE so it looks like it is repeatable. Right now I do not know what all works and what does not but at least it boots. 6k user may finally have an alternitive and it runs X.
dino
Cool! biggrin.gif
Does it have any onboard development tools? I was looking through the OpenEmbedded packages and I'm not sure if the tools stay on the developemnt PC. They may get compiled and included in the package installed on the target machine.
nevarrie
here are a few pictures of my Z running my build of GPE with openembedded:

Zaurus SL-6000 running GPE

As of right now there are still several things that do not work, such as WiFi and APM(Suspend and sleep lock the Z requiring a hard reset). Hopefully I will be able to find what is still missing form the kernel and have a build that will work on the SL-6000L. I will keep the zug posted on my progress.

dino...as of right now it is just a base rom so that I can fiugure out what needs to happon to get OZ working on the SL-6000. ,,I am not sure what development tools are already setup for build to be onboard but I am sure there is a way to add ones you would want ot the oe system if they are not already there...
ced
what's the performance like?
nevarrie
Over all I fell it is faster then the default sharp rom in responce to clicking on an icons. But since I really do nto have much on the rom I built I can not tell you how well it runs programs yet. I am building a new kernel right now that should give me network access and then I will try out a few more programs.
benkrembs
You are a hardcore dude, my friend. My hat is off to you. Keep up the good work for all of us lamers out here who arent nearly as gifted as you....
nevarrie
I not so sure I would call myself that gifted...the people that have put OE together are the ones that are gifted...I am just willing to take a risk and see if I can make it work on my zaurus(Praying that it will not break my Z) and see what errors I get and see if someone can tell me how to fix it...
zaurist968
nevarrie,

Any updates on network access? did you get it working?

I am >this< close to taking the plunge with an alternate image on my 6000. Can you post the procedure you used? I am well versed with Linux on the PeeCee but this embedded thing is a whole new world.

I feel 100% at home with the layout of RedHat/Fedora and Slackware. How does the openembedded distro compare?
nevarrie
I have nto got the wifi working yet...I have finally got the kernel module to load and see that card but I have not had the time to get further then that on WiFi...I have been working on both a binary package that is using sharps stuff to uses the wifi using wlan-ng 0.2.0 and getting oe to build 0.2.1 pre21 for uses...

I did get my usb keyboard to work with OE though the biggest problem other then the networking right now is that apm does not work. This means that the z does not suspend correctly. It does go to sleep after 15 minutes and then requires the battery to be removed and then pressing the reset switch before it will power on again...I also have to uses the battery trick if I isssue a shutdown -h now.

As for you question on how the embedded distros compare to a desktop distro, OpenZaurus built using OpenEmbedded follows Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS) so most files are where you would find them in redhat and other distros that follow this standard. In many ways I like OpenZaurus better then the default sharp rom since it does follow this standard and has an init structure like that find in redhat will sharp uses and init structure like that found in slackware and bsd.

As it is right now I run OpenZaurus during the week and then restore to Sharps rom for the weekend so I can uses my Z when I am going to school. Sharps restore works very well for getting you back to where you where before flashing a new rom. THe only thing I have found in flashing back and forth is that you must uses a cf card to flash the sharp rom onto you z, where as I flash OZ all week from my sd card.
msodano
So you _have_ OZ running on your 6000? Or the OpenEmbedded as you mention? Be interesting to try this w/e, if it is OZ---which version, and was there anything special to be done as far as flashing?

---Matt
lardman
OpenEmbedded (OE) is the build system used to build OpenZaurus (OZ) which is the distro for the Sharp machines.

As far as versions go, it's probably something like 3.5.1 - yes the number is correct and not a typo - (though there are no official versions at the moment).

Si
Mickeyl
So you _have_ OZ running on your 6000? Or the OpenEmbedded as you mention?

Write down 1000 times: OpenEmbedded is a build tool which happens to build OpenZaurus, OpenSIMpad, familiar linux, and others.
nevarrie
QUOTE(msodano @ Aug 19 2004, 03:00 AM)
So you _have_ OZ running on your 6000? Or the OpenEmbedded as you mention? Be interesting to try this w/e, if it is OZ---which version, and was there anything special to be done as far as flashing?

---Matt

As serveral have already said, I used OpenEmbedded to build an OpenZaurus kernel and jffs2 image. Flashing was not hard. Here is what I did:
  • put updater.sh, zImage.bin, and initrd.bin in the root of my sd card
  • reset my Z then pressed the OK button while pressing the power botton.
  • Selected Update from the menu that come up
  • After the z printed the it was writing the kernel and image it asks you to reset
  • After resetting the Z I have been pressing OK while powering on then selecting format from the menu. I am nto sure if this is needed though I have had a few times that it was stuck at the OpenZaurus boot image and would nto go further till I did the format, and the sharp room will not except screen input till the format has been issued.
  • After format Z will reboot and you will see the GPE screen with OE at the bottom.
The is what I did to flash my 6k to run OpenZaurus using GPE. I will verify all this when I flash again today to try out the wlan-ng package.
coolass
Any more news on OZ for your sl-6k ????? cool.gif
tonyb
Gtreat going, Nevarrie, I have been following you in the OE IRC channel. I will be OEing my 6K next.
Need to back out my Sharp fs into a new initrd.bin, cause dont want to loose all my stuff, when I go back and forth. Then I am going to build a task-bootstrap, first, rather than a meta-gpe or meta-opie, cause I want to play with it in mode 3 first. Not really interested in the GUI's...
nevarrie
QUOTE(coolass @ Aug 23 2004, 06:24 PM)
Any more news on OZ for your sl-6k ????? cool.gif

I had finals this weekend at school so I have need my Z working so that I could study. I have a new image built with the Wlan-ng that I hope to test later this weekend after I do I backup.
nevarrie
QUOTE(tonyb @ Aug 24 2004, 01:44 PM)
Gtreat going, Nevarrie, I have been following you in the OE IRC channel.  I will be OEing my 6K next.
Need to back out my Sharp fs into a new initrd.bin, cause dont want to loose all my stuff, when I go back and forth.  Then I am going to build a task-bootstrap, first, rather than a meta-gpe or meta-opie, cause I want to play with it in mode 3 first.  Not really interested in the GUI's...

the backup and restore in the sharp rom works really well. I have backs on both my win2k at work and I have made backups to my sd card that I have restored from...it takes me BACK TO THE WAY I was just before the restore...I have not had a problem with it yet..I like doing the backup o teh sd card better then the win2k machine since it creates one file whn backing up to the sd card while the win2k backup is a derectory...
BarryW
Any progress?
pcgamingsolutions
Maybe they were posting from their Zaurus and turned it into a brick. The only reason I don't mess with mine. I don't mine botching up something in Linux on my computer cause I can always format the drive and reinstall if it's that bad, but a device that cost me big bucks that even the manufacturer will stop supporting is a different story.
nevarrie
Maybe they were posting from their Zaurus and turned it into a brick.

Most of the time I do post from my Z, so I guess that could be a problem if I do brick it...though so far I have always been able to flash the sharp rom back on so taht I have a working Z again.

Alright for those interested here is where I am at currently...I have gpe working, some of the configuration apps are not working such assigning what the buttons do, fn key does nto work so no numbers through the builtin keyboard(uses the unscreen for now), I am able to suspend using "apm -s" though it always logs me out when I resume, and the biggest problem I have that I am workign on trying to get around is that the built in wifi is powered off and I cna not power it on with OZ as of yet.

A short discription of the problem is that sharp powers the usb wifi card on and off when it is used. The z boots up the wifi card off. Sharp uses /sbin/usbctl {on|off|status} {0|1} to turn the card on and off...the program is sending something to /dev/usb/host-ohci...

I have figured out eh usb host adapter is 0 and the wifi card is 1...The program will run on my gpe image but since I have nto created /dev/usb/host-ohci it gives me file not found...

Any one with ideas?
nevarrie
I have wifi working on the 6k...right now I still have the uses /etc/init.d/wlan start/stop to uses it but that does not bother me if I can get online....I have been browsing the net wirh firefox once I issued:

xst write MATCHBOX/composite str off

So far I have not found it any slower or faster then Opera was on the sharp rom.

For those that are willing you can find a tar file of the initrd.bin, zImage and updater.sh that I am currently using at:

http://zaurus.gethondo.com/roms/tosa/gpe-t...20040916.tar.gz.

I will try to keep people updated on my progresss...any help would be welcome...
rospahr
Hey Nevarrie

Thanks for making this available. I will flash my 6000 tonight!

Looking forward to having X on my Z.
pcgamingsolutions
Let us know how it goes rospahr.
rospahr
Wow! I flashed the Z, and it looks nice. Once you get the keyboard Fn keys working, and just a few more things like apm, I could actually use this as my daily machine.

Keep up the great work!
pcgamingsolutions
With OE/OZ on the 6000, what kind of sync options are we looking at for LInux computers?
Mickeyl
qtopia desktop, kitchensync, multisync
rospahr
Besides syncing with scp, another great program is "Unison". This is especially helpful since the Qtopia-desktop on linux does not sync with the SL-6000 and the Sharp rom 1.12

I do wish I could have a desktop version of the addressbook and calendar that was always able to be in sync with my Zaurus.
BarryW
Tried it out. Looks like it will be pretty cool when all the bugs are worked out.
gab74
Ok, i wil download and flash my zaurus too...

It is very important for me having LInux on my SL6000

Is it possible write what are the bugs to solve ? and what are full functional things ?

HOW CAN INSTALL THE ROM ??? I've never flash a zaurus.... Thanks !

SORRY I HAVE SOLVED MY PROBLEMS !!!!
bazmi
hi,

HELP!!!

i flashed my 6K with OE/OZ just to check it out and it looks cool. but i now have problems getting back the original sharp ROM (v1.12) which i downloaded from http://www.zaurus.com/dev/tools/rom.htm.

when i try to follow the instructions - unzipped the archive on a fat16 CF card, connected power to the zaurus and hitting the reset button after keeping Q & T keys pressed, i do get the power and mail LEDs glowing but they just stay like that and never go off. have tried to leave it for more than an hour. if i press reset the the OE/OZ boots up so presumable the flash hasnt been overwritten.

any help much appreciated.

thanks in advance,

/bazmi.
BarryW
Are the files in a folder or seperate? They have to not be in a folder. It does work, did it with mine. Although it is a different version than what came on mine. I had to do a restore from my zaurus after I reflashed from the website. If it still doesn't work redownload the zip file and try again.
nevarrie
As BarryW said all files have to be in the root of the cf card. I have seen the problem you are seeing before' and usually it was do to having the wrong initrd.bin file on the cf card or one of the other files where missing. I would try removing all fo the files from the cf card and unzip them on there again.
pldrouin
Actually I really like the hardware of the 6000 with its USB port, but I hesitate to buy it because of the limited number of working OS & softwares. The most important thing I would need to be working (after Wi-Fi and an ethernet CF card) would be SSH X11 forwarding. Does it actually work with OE/OZ on the 6000? Also, is APM still not working?

Thanks!
bazmi
the sun is shining again! thanks a lot. the problem seems to be with my CF card. i tried formatting it and copy files again and again but no luck. changed the CF card and everything worked fine.

thanks guys. and the OE/OZ looks super. great going!!

/bazmi.
coolass
QUOTE(bazmi @ Sep 22 2004, 05:58 AM)
hi,

HELP!!!

i flashed my 6K with OE/OZ just to check it out and it looks cool. but i now have problems getting back the original sharp ROM (v1.12) which i downloaded from http://www.zaurus.com/dev/tools/rom.htm.

when i try to follow the instructions - unzipped the archive on a fat16 CF card, connected power to the zaurus and hitting the reset button after keeping Q & T keys pressed, i do get the power and mail LEDs glowing but they just stay like that and never go off. have tried to leave it for more than an hour. if i press reset the the OE/OZ boots up so presumable the flash hasnt been overwritten.

any help much appreciated.

thanks in advance,

/bazmi.

just a question...Did you flash oe/oz with opie or gpe??? cool.gif
BarryW
The one nevarrie is working on is GPE.
coolass
QUOTE(BarryW @ Sep 23 2004, 08:34 AM)

Yes I have that one too but I thougt he was talking about another one.
nevarrie
QUOTE(BarryW @ Sep 23 2004, 07:34 AM)

To tell the truth I have an opie 3.5.1 image too...The biggest problem with it is that the Touch screen does not respond...though I am also having the problems with the touch screen on gpe for my newer images...though I can go back to the Sharp 1.12 and the touch screen works fine so I know I have not Bricked my Z yet...

Current Issues I am trying to work out:
  • Touch Screen not responding after calibration on gpe
  • Touch Screen not responding at all on opie
  • fn key combinations not working
  • apm -s returns the user to login prompt
  • Get power button so that it suspends
  • make wlancfg on gpe so that it will uses wlan-ng and the builtin wifi card
  • add "xst write MATCHBOX/composite str off" so that firefox works
bazmi
yes, i was using GPE.

btw, i read from nevarries posts that he was using firefox. when i tried to launch firefox, it didnt come up and all i got was a window in the middle of the screen with nothing in it. i had to kill the firefox process manually.

/bazmi.
nevarrie
QUOTE(bazmi @ Sep 23 2004, 09:52 PM)
yes, i was using GPE.

btw, i read from nevarries posts that he was using firefox. when i tried to launch firefox, it didnt come up and all i got was a window in the middle of the screen with nothing in it. i had to kill the firefox process manually.

/bazmi.

you need to run this command in and x-terminal to get firefox to work. I need to figure out what needs to be changed so this it not needed. Thanks for reminding of this.

xst write MATCHBOX/composite str off
nevarrie
I though I would let people know I have a working opie image for the 6k now. wlan-ng is still just from console to start and stop, hopefully someone will show me how to fix this. I have been pointed to opie-sh but have not had the time to look into it.

Any one that is intereested in finding problems with it you can download it from http://zaurus.gethondo.com/roms/tosa/opie-...20041008.tar.gz

to get the dpad orented correctly install:
http://zaurus.gethondo.com/roms/tosa/libqt....7-r18_tosa.ipk
rospahr
Thanks for making this available. Have you had any luck in getting the Fn keys to work? How about the opie control panels, are they functioning more than the gpe ones?
nevarrie
Have you had any luck in getting the Fn keys to work?

In opie the fn key works though NUM lock and CAP lock is still not working.

How about the opie control panels, are they functioning more than the gpe ones?

I know that the brightness control is not working...Though most other things I have tried at least come up unlike GPE...Suspend works as long as you do nto have the screen rotated, if the screen is rotated then it suspends but when it unsuspend it rotates back to portate and then waits 5 seconds before shutting off again...after that point it does that over and over again till you reset...I have not had time to work with it more then that other then to install konqur and make sure it worked...
rospahr
Just flashed my sl-6000 with the opie rom. Looks really nice! Can't seem to get the wlan0 up in the console. What am I missing? What is the command you use to bring up the wireless?

thanks!
BarryW
Okay I'm a dumbass, flashed the new opie rom to my z. Looks really cool, but still not quite there yet. Anyway I lost the origional rom blink.gif . So, I pm'd nevarrie to see if he has the rom, havn't got an answer yet. So, anybody have a copy of the rom??
jamesm
QUOTE(rospahr @ Oct 9 2004, 01:29 AM)
Just flashed my sl-6000 with the opie rom. Looks really nice! Can't seem to get the wlan0 up in the console. What am I missing? What is the command you use to bring up the wireless?

thanks!

Assuming you've correctly setup your wireless settings, using the gui interface or iwconfig then you should be able to use

CODE
ifup wlan0

Some pepople have reported that a reboot can often get a wireless card working if it won't play.

There is also a fair bit of information on the OE wiki release notes.
BarryW
Nope that doesn't seem to work. Looks like it doesn't see the wireless at all.
rospahr
Opie looks really nice. If I could get the wireless to work, I could use this as my day to day OS. I can bring the wifi up, but can not get the wep to work. ifconfig does not see a wlan0 device.
jamesm
QUOTE(rospahr)
I can bring the wifi up, but can not get the wep to work. ifconfig does not see a wlan0 device.

Try the following to see if your wep key data has actually been remembered by the GUI config:

CODE
iwlist wlan0 key

If this returns no key data then try setting the key manually using the iwconfig command like so:

CODE
iwconfig wlan0 key s:<weppass> [1]

notes:
- The "s:" option allows you to enter the wep key in plain text (omit if you want to enter your key in hex - hardcore++ wink.gif )
- The [x] represents the number of the key, wep keys are normally numbered 1-4
- *If wlan0 isn't working for you, try the same procedure with eth0. I'm not entirely sure on the reasons for it (I need to do more reading) but I believe that the orinoco_cs drivers use eth0 and hostap_cs uses wlan0*

*Anyone who actually knows the answer to this: Please feel free to correct me on the above if I've got the wrong end of the stick.
gab74
Anyone can tell me if there is another link to download the new gpe for sl6000;
links in nevarrie post doesent work.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.