Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help Me!!! With Pdaxrom
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > pdaXrom
Chazz
I've been studying the pdaXrom for a few days and I don't know if I shouldget it for my 750. It seems complicated and I'm not familiar with linux or command lines unsure.gif
jerrybme
Well, it all depends on your comfort level with experimenting. It's a great way to get more familiar with linux and doing tasks from the command prompt. There is a ton of folks here at this site that will help you as you stumble your way to linux expert status.

One of the beauties of pdaXrom is that is comparible in structure and operation to PC distros so what you learn on your Z will transfer to working on desktop versions of Linux. Sharp based ROMs are convoluted messes of symlinks that are difficult to understand and navigate, IMHO.

In terms of usage on a 750, it requires you to use your SD as additional storage if you want to install more than just the basic apps that come with the ROM. You'll need to learn how to format your SD to ext2 so it can handle symlinks. There is lots of info on the ZUG wiki & FAQ.

Bottom line if you're a tinkerer and want to learn more about how linux works, pdaxrom is great, but if you just want install apps and have them work with minimal fussing, stick with Sharp based ROMs.

You can't go wrong with either choice. If you do go the Sharp ROM route I suggest the Cacko ROM, it's the best Sharp based ROM IMHO.

My 2 cents, your milage may vary

Cheers,
Jerry
ScottYelich
you also have some time -- as..

wait for the next release!

be patient.

Scott
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.